Register now to get rid of these ads!

tether car racing in the 1940s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Foul, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Foul

Foul

[​IMG]

I didn't realize there's such a fan base for tether car racing until I was contacted randomly by a woman looking for one of two tether cars her father-in-law built in the late 1940s. She mentioned having some pictures from that time, so I thought I'd try to help her out and share some of the pics at the same time:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2008/01/08/tether-car-racing-in-the-1940s/

I need to follow up on the comments that some guys have left already, but if anybody else knows anything about that particular tether racer, let me know.

dan

2. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Looks like a Dooling Frog, made by the Dooling brothers in the 40's. Reproductions of that model are available and good originals are not that hard to find but can be pricey. Of course if she is looking for the exact one that her father built that will be a lot tougher.

I know most people here don't like ebay but there are several guys that deal in tether cars on there you might check with some of them.

And try this guy. He can probably tell you who the dealer was at Hershey www.tethercar.com

3. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

I live in Anderson, Indiana and we still have track here. I don't race but I have stopped and seen them run during one of the meets they have there. I have heard it is a pretty well known track because there are entrants from all over the world. They are amazing to watch. If you have never seen them you probably won't belive me but they are so fast you CANNOT see them. I saw one run 201 MPH. The pictures I saw on one of the websites where they were racing in what looked like a parking lot looks pretty dangerous. They are so fast you would never know what hit you if it came loose. I'll try to take some pics this summer if I can catch when they run.

4. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

and i thought the planes were kinda cool i saw tihs summer with bob and johnny..

those are real cool

5. hiboyroadsterboy

hiboyroadsterboy
    from Mass

Those are cool,we have a friend around here who restores those things,and I guess they are racing them again somewhere in newyork,theres a track.

6. DrJ

DrJ

There's a track in the Whittier Narrows park area, near where we had a HAMB BBQ a couple years ago.
    I've seen them run there, or seen the blur of them running at 200 ± mph.
    They're having a "fun run" and swap meet there this Saturday 1/12/08 according to the site below.

Check here:

http://www.amrca.com/

and:

http://www.tethercar.com/

7. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

I remmber seeing them in the 40s, there was a amusment park in Bethlehem PA. called Central Park that had a track. I would like to see them again, I though they were cool when I was a kid.

8. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

Hmmm... well, here ya go:

[​IMG]

9. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

I know it's off topic but, I'm always amazed at how thin people used to be.
    Not a fat person in those pics. We "were" a healthy nation.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  10. El Gordo

El Gordo

11. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

I had a McCoy ("The Real McCoy") tether sprint car from that era. My wife had bought an old oak chest of drawers from a lady and she threw the car in on the deal.....I sold it on Epay for almost $1000.00 biggies to a feller in the Pacific Northwest.....before my time, but some people apparently really get into it.

12. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

No,it was combination of the effects of the great depression ( malnutrition) and cigarettes,amazing how thin you stay when you smoke and in those days a non smoker was about as common as a ham sandwich in a synagogue.

And this is Brisbane Australia..up beside the motorway at Caboolture just past the bribie island turnoff.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bWS0c-XRbo&feature=related

13. Mechanics Illustrated, Sept' 1955........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Here's one that belonged to a friend of mine. Unfortunately, when he died his wife gave it away. Made by Ohlsson and Rice, Los Angeles. The thing weighed about 3 pounds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

They ran them on board tracks too! This shot was in the National Speed Sport News June 1944 Racing Album #2 sent out to GI's durring WWII.

Attached Files:

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. There's a vintage Dooling tether car on that auction site right now with a Buy It Now price of $9,950 :eek: :confused:

18. Zombilly

Zombilly

Resent for the sake of clarity. Great picture, 37Kid.

Attached Files:

19. Zombilly

Zombilly

20. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I saw that on another board and loved it.

21. E Burfield

E Burfield

I Currently Run A Car At Whitter Narrows. It A Class 9. Which Is 7.5cc Motor . It's A Beginner Class And Last Year I Was Able To Take 2nd At The Nationals. The Car Went 121.mph Not Bad For Rookie.

22. skincat

skincat
    from kokomo, in

23. AltKind

AltKind

Anyone out there able to forward scans of plans for tether cars. I'm after a project for me and my son.

24. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

Mine,I use it for a paperweight<a href="http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p47/fang_bucket/?action=view&current=MVC-115S.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]<[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  25. SteveDrake

SteveDrake

I am writing about this car. I have one like it complete I have had since I was a kid and my uncle had when he was a kid. I don't know much about it. I thought you might help. It is missing the steering wheel and hand brake. Needs cleaning and painting.
    Maybe you can give me an idea of its value?
    Thanks,
    Steve Drake
    Madison Tennessee

26. DustyBarnfinds

DustyBarnfinds

Steve, if you take some photos of it and send them to Kirk White, he can telll you virtually everything there is to know. He is currently recognized as one of the leading experts in tether cars and has the largest collection of them. He's also an active byer and sell of them, so he knows what the market is for each one. Go here: http://www.kirkfwhite.com/GASPOWEREDRACERS.html

As an aside, few people remember that when Roger Penske ran a Ferrari in sports car races Kirk White was his sponsor along with Sunoco.

27. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

Great!! Something else to spend my money on.

28. I just acquired a 1939 Dooling Frog. It was found in Peeble Beach in a basement of an estate being cleaned out. The 95 year old owner had deceased and was the original owner. It was believed to have been raced in the early 40's and put away in a locked race kit box since the mid-40's. Unbelievable find. The box was locked and this jewel was discovered, once I picked the lock. Definitely a once in a life time score.

Attached Files:

turboroadster likes this.
  29. Aero

Aero
    from Portland

Here is one I've just finished. A representation of, what in my opinion, was the golden age of tether car racing - the 30s and 40s when the cars were still intended to resemble full sized race cars of the day. Other than manufactured items such as the engine and gearbox the car is hand-built utilizing only a drill press and hand tools.

The body is hand formed from .065, 3003 aluminum, torch welded. The frame is built up from 6061, corrosion resistant aluminum. The header style fuel system is patterned after the Dooling F car. The engine is a Hornet, the gearbox a Gary Barns unit. The car is restricted by its "display" tires, one of which was ruined in testing and had to be replaced. The flywheel is brass with a steel drive insert - farmed out to a machinist, but designed for this car. The exhaust pipe is steel, chrome plated. The finish is automotive urethane, sanded and buffed.

This is a hand-built car, and nothing is perfect, but it's one-of-a-kind. There's only one of these.

Now I have to find a buyer.
    DSCF0101.JPG DSCF0121.JPG DSCF0247.JPG DSCF0256.JPG DSCF0280.JPG DSCF0290.JPG DSCF0343.JPG DSCF0360.JPG DSCF0365.JPG DSCF0396.JPG DSCF0815.JPG DSCF1084.JPG DSCF1201.JPG DSCF1204.JPG DSCF1318.JPG imageedit_1_2031979437.jpg imageedit_1_5417071167.jpg imageedit_1_5873455166.jpg imageedit_1_6302889756.jpg imageedit_1_9898458026.jpg lunapic_136926053292444_2.jpg lunapic_136926094147780_2.jpg

JamieUC and Dean Lowe like this.
  30. Very nice.
    Al.