Register now to get rid of these ads!

SHOW RODS 60 & 70s..stories - pics ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meatball, Oct 29, 2007.

1. any history on this??....looks alot like a 70s or late 60s ride,bet those front fender would be hell on a highway speed run...front end (grill area) looks like the Ice truck.......

2. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

It was up for auction in 84 at harrahs,sold for 3 or 4 grand. It is called the calico surfer, and is barris built.
    denise posted a restored pic in post # 67 of the thread "show rods"

3. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

showrod,

I have owned it for four years. I bought it from a fella named Chuck who said he and his buddies built it. I forget his whole story, but something to the effect: they built it, sold it, years latter he bought it back and held on to it since, then he sold it to me.
    Do you have any info on it? It looks nothing like it did back in the day. Like I said , unfortunately the paint was not salvageable in a lot of spots. The webbing, splatter, acetylene ghosting & panels on the fenders had very very bad cracking. They had leaded everything on the chop, but used bondo to fill some lower cab quarter holes. I was confused by that. She is currently in primer until I can repair the body, some very small frame mods, then back into a nice flake color.

4. metalman

metalman

Great thread Meatball, thanks. I loved looking at these cars as a kid, especially when the "Star Car Caravan" (Darrell Starbird's show) would come to town. Never wanted to own one though till a year or so ago, decided I have drivers now, why not a show rod. Building it will be a lot of fun, maybe it will show off some of the skills I've been lucky enough to gain in the last 30+ years and entertain me in my retirement.

5. heres one from oregon that I remember first seeing in a show (Eugene autorama) in 1969..anybody know where it is today??

Attached Files:

6. Dads-53

Dads-53

Was at Starbirds last summer and he is putting the lil coffen back to way Dave built it , think he realizes that he messed up, so is going back the way it was. Had done a lot and was looking pretty good,
    Don

7. fuzzface

fuzzface

The Pizza Wagon that was built by Dan Woods in 1969 is for sale in the Hemmings magazine for $225,000.

8. was their a name and number?? it belonged to Bob Schoonhoven for years.....

Attached Files:

9. fuzzface

fuzzface

No name but a California phone # of 760-775-0994.

10. jchav62

jchav62

Crazy stuff!!!

11. heres another krazy one."wake wagon" anybody seen this? details ?

Attached Files:

12. Digger61

Digger61

Thats waaayyy cool, never seen it before, anyone know anything about it?

13. SilentKilla

SilentKilla

is this model for real? where can i get it?

14. call the model companys (Revell).ask them to build it............:)

Attached Files:

15. Moriarity says it (the WAKE WAGON) was built by Farhner of Boot Hill Express fame........makes sense to me,its in the Volo collection, Thanks Mark

16. Gaters

Gaters

My dad has always been into ol cars. He'd take my brother and myself all over the place, swap meets, car shows and a lot of car builders shops. One in particular was Danny Wood's shop. There was a lot of big hair, mustaches and beards in that place. The mixer truck picture you've posted was being built in his shop at the time. I was a young kid at the time but I remember seeing his concept drawing of the mixer truck hanging on the wall. He also had a stake bed truck that was made out of purple colored wood imported from Hawaii. It has some weird oils in it or something cuase the guys in the shop had rashes on their arms from touching the wood.

One car show and swap meet we went to in particular was Cars of the Stars in Buena Park, CA, close to KNott's Berry Farm. The Batmobile was there and had a crazy black velvet paint job at that time..now that is BOSS!

Does anyone remember seeing the Tastee Freez T-bucket? Last I saw of it was in Downey, CA.

Chris

17. ok I gotta beleive this falls into the SHOWROD era.tv star or not alotta people went to cars shows to see this fine example of automotive art.(thanks to Dean Jefferies).....and it's for sale at the Barrett-Jackson circus this month

Attached Files:

18. Havasuhound

Havasuhound

The "Pizza Wagon" is fully restored and running! Bob Schoonhoven still owns it. The photos of it at Blackie's show and Hemmings are current. We would like to sell it, or trade for an exotic (Ferrari or Lamborghinipreferred). You can call Bob at (760) 408-1843, or Glen via e-mail at: [email protected].

19. dutchcedar

dutchcedar

The trike (I think it had four slicks lined up in the back) was called the Preying Mantis. I remember the paint being an incredibly detailed series of green shades over pearl white... long springer forks. Edit: Could have been "Praying Mantis". And the four slicks... could have been another trike [if we would call it that], but I'm pretty sure it was Himsl's creation with the lined up tires across the back.

20. Havasuhound

Havasuhound

Bob Schoonhoven owns the PIZZA WAGON. Fully restored and running! (760) 408-1843 (cell number) He is interested in showing, lease to show or museum, or trade for an exotic sports car

21. for those who dont know who Bob Schoonhoven is .this guy should really be in the hotrod/show world hall of fame .he ran a bunch of ISCA shows in the northwest and has really done a lot and been involved in our hobby a LONG time,now about this exotic thing......maybe he could trade it for that ferrari powered 32 outa camas washington if its still around...it would be great to see a bunch of the dan Woods bodied cars together sometime

Attached Files:

22. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

I would totally drive this!!!

23. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

24. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

The interesting thing is most of these cars wouldt be allowed into a HAMB car show. Too much bling......

Gary

25. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Ray Farhner did indeed build the Wake Wagon as a compliment to the Boothill Express. He didn't actually to all of the work himself, though, but he did act as the "Art Director". The actual work was contracted to Charlie Aldrich and Jim Smith who built it at Ray's shop. It was one of the best looking and well built of all the "goofy" cars of that era (which Roth actually started with the Druid Princess). I guess the Wagon eluded magazine coverage because it came at the end of the era when the magazines were sick of the genre.

It was completely driveable, unlike the Boothill Express which had the engine gutted to make for lighter-weight hauling. However, not many people know this, but Ray built a clone of the Boothill Express with a hilborn-injected 426 Hemi. It had a roll cage and Driver Hal Hammer out of St. Louis actually drove it on a "exhibition run" at low speed one time only at Beeline raceway in Phoenix. Ray thought promoters would pay just to see it going down the strip but he was wrong, the drag patrons wanted to see fast, and no one, (even Hammer) was crazy enough to open this monster up. True story, I swear!! The two boothill's are still out there. I think Jay Ohrberg owns one of them. Jay, of course, is the Godfather of building cars out of stuff that you weren't supposed to. The easiest way to tell the difference between the two Boothills in outer appearance is that the original had 18" American 12-spokes with motorcycle slicks on the front, while the clone had 15" 12-spokes with Pirellis.

By the way, although Bob Schoonhoven is known as a show promoter and feature car owner, he started as a rodder. When I first knew him, he was the local show chairman for Farhner's show in Portland and at that time he had a really nicely styled full-fendered 28 sedan.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  26. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

i love this thread.. great ways to unleash your mind on a hotrod!
    -Anthony

27. 1959 Eldorado

1959 Eldorado
    from London

Just to say the following 60 and 70's show Rods that i own are alive and well(some needing resto)in London The Alvins Acorn ,The Sand Draggin
    ,The Sidewinder (Trike),The Pool Table Car ,The Snakepit(6 Engines),The Bunk Bed Car ,The Bugaloos Buggy .
    The Alvins Acorn has just had a full resto and is in The Beaulieu Motor museum and will have a full article in next months www.classic-american.com magazine (Has a You Tube link of George Barris talking about how they built the car on front page)
    If anyone has any original pictures or info on these cars please post i would love to see them .
    As i am new to computers i will try and get my kids to post some pictures on this site soon and also my website will be updated soon with pictures www.mydadstoys.co.uk

28. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Hey, that's wild, 59 ElD. One of my best friends, Stan Nystrom built the Sand Dragon body while working at Bob Reisner's shop in the late 60's. In fact, there is a video of him (a little 18-year-old at the time) shaping the entire plaster buck for the body mold in about two minutes. It was in a Walt Disney Production, "Wonderful World of Disney" which was a weekly show at that time. They shot hundreds of stills, then pieced them together into a film, and my friend is running around at a million miles an hour, creating the Sand Dragon body. I actually rented it at a video store once. He may have a copy of it, I'll ask him.

29. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

:) I love mine! The Princess I restored.
    FRITZ

Attached Files:

• ol1.jpg
      ol1.jpg
      File size:
      110.8 KB
      Views:
    • dpa1.jpg
      dpa1.jpg
      File size:
      81.1 KB
      Views: