Register now to get rid of these ads!

(drought) lake lanier race track?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bulletproof1, Nov 8, 2007.

1. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i heard on the radio that the drought ,made it possible to see an old race track.. anyone else heard this? thought it was lake lanier...any pics?

2. I googled it (amazing, huh:rolleyes: ) and only found this so far, but you are right- the old dirt track is coming to light.

Attached Files:

3. Oh, sorry- that's one of our local reporters sitting on the grandstands.

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Where the devil is Lake Lanier?

5. Thumper

Thumper

Yes...there is an old racetrack (normally ) under Lake Lanier. Lake Lanier is about 30 miles northeast of Atlanta. There is all kinds of shit in the bottom of that lake (houses, bridges, railroad tracks, cars, trucks, boats). That racetrack is over toward Flowery Branch.

6. Ruiner

Ruiner

What are you guys waiting for? I smell a vintage dirt track race video brewing down in Georgia...GET TO IT! hehehe

7. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

Like Thumper said, they'd really have to clean that thing out if they wanted to start using that track again. LMAO. Doubtful it would happen, the yuppies in my county would protest. Imagine hundreds wearing their gap and khakis protesting in front of their beemers.

8. Ruiner

Ruiner

I'm sure it was all intentionally flooded via river re-routing...South Dakota has a road that ends at a lake and you can see farmhouses and outbuildings still standing underwater, crazy shit to go fishing in.

9. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

Lake Lanier is an army engineer corps water reservoir. It provides for flood protection, power production, water supply, navigation, recreation and fish and wildlife management. So in a way it was. :D

10. Ruiner

Ruiner

Man, I'd laugh my ass off seeing that track getting used just once again, at least some good would come out of the draught...

11. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

Yeah that's true. They'd also have to start trucking water into metro Atlanta and parts of Florida and Alabama which would suck. But I'd definitely be in line to ramble down that track.

12. vegaracechic24

vegaracechic24
    from Winder,Ga

Got any exact direction be cool to go look at.

13. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

14. saltflatrat

saltflatrat

Someone told me that he was able to see it through the Google Earth program. I haven't done it myself yet. So I have no idea if it's B.S. or not.

15. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

16. Hmmm....road trip anyone?

17. k9racer

k9racer

The Georgia auto racing hall of fame has been finding photographing and recording all the lost race tracks in Ga. This is a unexpeced treat as we thought all we could see was the top of the grandstands..

18. vegaracechic24

vegaracechic24
    from Winder,Ga

We are all for it. Lets roll!

19. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

Sounds like a good idea to me.

20. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

thank you .i tried google ...didnt get anything ...lake tenkiller here in okla used to be a town..when the water gets real low you can see the foundation of some of the old buildings and the streets are still there...

21. Thumper

Thumper

It's been forever since I stumbled across it. I may could find somebody at the Dam Store that knows where its at. They have built up around there so much that it ain't the same as it was 20 years ago. Hell if it gets much lower we can get some snorkels and hunt for "Vintage Tin" :eek: and get Stevie to haul it outta there for us ! I can see Stevie now....with hip boots...slingin a cable out like he was trout fishin....LMAO.

**Update**
    I was wrong in my location..( damn was I ! ) The location is right off the walking trail in Laurel Park in Gainesville (N. Hall Co. ) I tried pasting a link but it won't let me. Just Google...Lake Lanier Parks and nose around till you find Laurel Park. You should be able to get directions. Sorry for the wrong info.....damn I'm gettin senile.

Ok lets try this:

Directions:

Laurel Park is located off Highway 129 (Cleveland Highway) north of Gainesville. Take Exit 24 off I-985, and turn left at end of ramp onto Jessee Jewell Parkway. Travel to Limestone Parkway (2nd stoplight) and turn right. Go to the end of Limestone parkway and turn right onto Clevleand Highway. Park is located one mile from bridge on right at New Bridge Baptist Church. Follow signs.

Hall County Parks & Leisure Services at 770/535-8280

It's hell getting old....LMAO

22. I'm goin' down to see if I can find Burt's canoe.

23. hillbilly hemi

hillbilly hemi

We're gonna try to head out there tomorrow (Sunday) if Big Pauly and the missus come over. If so I'll be sure to get some pictures.
    Troy

24. vegaracechic24

vegaracechic24
    from Winder,Ga

We might try to ride up sunday too. Thanks thumper

25. Thumper

Thumper

Y'all let me know what ya find.

26. The track is about 5 miles from my house. It is actually just north of the city of Gainesville, Ga. It is adjacent to a public park on old highway 129 that deadends into the lake. I had planned on going tomorrow and I will get some pictures. An older gentleman in church said he had driven on the track in the old days, and on a dare tried to floor it all the way around the track. He went through the fence. It is sad to see the lake.

27. Roadsir

Roadsir

Good one!

28. Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by GreenMtnBoy [​IMG]
    I'm goin' down to see if I can find Burt's canoe.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Okay, I'll bight.
    What...is Burts Canoe?

Please explain....can you?

29. Kustm52

Kustm52

You ever see the movie Deliverance?