Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Gary Howard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Gary Howard

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  2. The_Monster

The_Monster

man, thats some amazing stuff!! Very nice work, that Gary! :)

3. Rikster

Rikster

Thank you Ryan for this post.
    Gary's work has been soem of the most favorite of mine for some time. His work is so subtile, jet so elegant. Almost like factory design sketches, from back then, coming alive.

Its a real pleasure every time a new Garry Howard creations is finished... something to look foreward to.

4. I was a little surprised when we toured his shop during the Reggie garage crawl this year at the Roundup.

Pretty simple stuff, no fancy anything just a practical shop and a kinda paint booth. A hall way full of paint guns and supplies in a barn with some filters in the door.

It goes to show you it is more about the man doing the work..

WOW.....

5. It's always a real treat to stop at Gary's place when Reggie leads the garage crawl during the Round-Up.

We've seen "before the show debuts" of some pretty cool cars on two of the occasions I've been there.

I'm looking forward to the next visit.

Congrats, Gary, on the award!

6. Great story Ryan, I too have admired Gary's work and always thought he was a unsung hero of sorts.

7. great story, I love his work.

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I've never heard of Gary Howard before. Thanks for the introduction, Ryan.
    I have an instant appreciation for his work, and a load of respect for the man as well.
    Well done, both of you!

9. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I've always loved Gary's creation's, I also believe he is one of the unsung hero's as a lot of his work is published but most people have never heard of him.

10. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

Interesting Read, Thanks Cheif!!

11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That '60 Chevy has always been a favorite of mine.

Sidebar:
    Does anyone else have the CD box set of four discs inside a "model car box" with some of these cars on it? Cost me about $70... worth every penny. Hell, the book inside was worth that. In fact, I understand the PACKAGING won a Grammy for the set.

http://www.amazon.com/Rods-Custom-Classics-Various-Artists/dp/B00000I5M0

[​IMG]

12. Slide

Slide

IN going to events and reading some printed show coverage, I was always drawn to Gary's builds... but it wasn't until recently that I realized they were all built by the same dude.

I got the opportunity to go to his shop on Reggie's pre-Roundup shop crawl a couple years ago. Everything in Ryan's blog post (and flt-blk's comments above) is dead-on. It's truly is amazing what this man does.

13. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He's one of my Heroes......and his cars drive as well as they look.

Attached Files:

14. 53burb

53burb

Heard from a little bird in the Austin area, that current project is going to have jaws a dropp'in!!!! KNUX! p.s. It's kool seeing Vaughn' '54 in the background sitting at SoCal shop while watching "Hard Shine".

15. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I have seen his work for years now but I never knew his name. One of my favorites.

16. Silva

Silva

It's nice to see Gary Howard getting much deserved credit.

Congratulations! on induction to KKOA hall of fame.:cool:

17. Crankhole

Crankhole

I wasn't too fond of post-shoebox fords until i saw the one he built for Jimmy at the LA Roadsters Show. Amazing.

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I had a great time on Reggies crawl...and yep..I have had that box set for about 6-7 years...Von Franco did the cover.
    A must for any collection

19. the '60 Chevy... I like so many of the details on it.

20. This is GOOD stuff, well written abouat a great builder.
    Gary Howard's customs are fantastic inspiration for me.
    No overdone, just nice customs with everything in harmony.
    Many thanks to both you and Gary!

21. slammed

slammed

Good tribute to a talented man, Ryan. Rod and Custom (Too Tall you-know-who) gave just due to the man and Jimmie Vaughn back in the early '90's. This was a great update.

22. lowburban

lowburban

I've got that box set. Worth every pennie. Got it with Rodders Journal years ago.

23. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I've been trying to put into words my thoughts on G. Howard and his critters all day, and I'm struggling to try to sum it up.

But I will say this, you won't meet anyone that has a greater combination of talent and humilty. Ever.

His cars have, somehow, have the ability to be pretty, feminine, and super tough all at the same time. The Exotica and Jimmie's '51 are pink, for heavens sake!

The Exotica is the mildest looking wild custom that I've ever seen. It's my "if I won the lottery" car. Mike's told me I might have to win it twice. :(

It's really is worth coming to the Roundup, just to see Gary's "critters". Even the brilliant camera work of SteveCoonan doesn't truely do the paint work justice. I have literally spent an hour staring at the front fender of Jimmie's Caddy. The green is a mile deep.

Congrats Brother Howard. It's an honor to drag the same club plaque as you.

24. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

this was a great write up article or whatever turns out I am a fan of Gary's without even knowing. I have seen lots of those cars he built and without knowing the name of the builder. What a great eye for style and beauty. Really well done cars very beautiful. I think he is my favorite builder now.

25. Deadender60

Deadender60

Mike's Chevy is one of my all time favorite customs ever... As for Gary..wow.. Super talented and super nice guy... I had the pleasure to meet him and a bunch of great people while attending the Round Up.. There is so much talent and creativity in Austin.. What do you guys put in the water out there?

Great Article Ryan...
    -Juan

26. I am ashamed to say that I hadn't really heard of Gary Howard until now. I have admired his work unknowingly for a while now though. When I first saw the Gold Rivi I fell instantly in love...simply my favorite Rivi all time...he has an amazing eye and I am now an official Gary Howard fan! Thanks Ryan!

Greg

27. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

Gary Howard = RULER
    Great article.
    Jimmie's 51 & Mike's 60 Chevy's are my fav's,but they all rule tho. love his work.

28. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

If it wasn't for Gary Howard, I probably wouldn't be on this board. I have been into cars since I was real young, but was mostly into lowriders and street rods. When I was in the seventh grade I went to the Houston Autorama and right inside the door, sat Mike Young's 60 and Jimi Vaughn's 51. I was dumb founded, I had never seen anything so elegant and graceful as the two of them. I knew at that moment I had to own/build something to that magnitude some day. I have been hooked on traditional Kustoms ever since, my brother used to make fun of me because the only pics I carried in my wallet for a long time was a little cutout from a magazine of the 60 and 51.

29. I've got that set - it's great. I snagged mine for $35 at Border's of all places. It was on sale... at Border's of all places.

30. Bro G is one of a kind - and a real inspiration. Nice job giving props to our local legend, Ryan.

for more pix of some of those beautiful rides, and behind the scenes shots - go check out
    http://www.garyhowardcustoms.com/

I happen to know he's got some good looking T-shirts with that logo featuring his Custom '52, too...