Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sports Car Bodied Drag Cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalshapes, Jun 20, 2007.

1. metalshapes

metalshapes

Some pics for SinisterCustoms...

Kellison

Cheetah

Devin

Attached Files:

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

God, I love Kellisons... I had the chance to own a really well done Kellison with an early injected SBC in it about 8 years ago. I didn't have the cash, but I should have gotten a loan.

3. I'm with you Ryan!!!

Didn't somebody have the basic body of a Kellison look alike on the HAMB classifieds a year of so ago? Seems like It was $800 or so. Then again my memory isn't all that hot.

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

Some more...

Attached Files:

5. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Anyone else remember a funny car with a glass XKE body called "Snoopy"? Did a quick search but couldn't find a pic.

Oh, and Ryan, there is a Kellison for sale on that online-auction-site-whose-name-dare-not-be-spoken.

Cheers,
    Kurt O.

6. the wildfire is a cool body style too
    my hotrod mentor Vance Ferry has one with an old nascar motor in it and it will hang the hoops
    my next project will be a super snake replica or a devin if i can find one
    tk

7. I agree......Kellison=cool.

I spent hours in my dads magazine looking at those things as a kid.

8. metalshapes

metalshapes

E Type.

Attached Files:

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I remember Snoopy...one of those pics above is a Cad-Bandini(!) owned by a California Mayor...

10. guiseart

guiseart

A good friend considered an Opel-bodied drag car for awhile, but the thinking stage was as far as it got. Kinda reminds me of those you've pictured here... that's all i got.

11. brandon

brandon

that city of industy car sam patriott (sp) was a big dollar piece....maybe a kurtis...??? been a favorite of mine since i was a kid....brandon:D

12. metalshapes

metalshapes

A couple that Raced in the UK...

Attached Files:

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Alex...what kind of car is this one??? Same as the one on the car trailer???
    Oh, and THANKS! Love these types of drag cars!
    There was a Devin SS at a swapmeet here last Feb.....didn't have my camera.:( Very cool.....

And that FiberGlass Trends car.....WOW!

Attached Files:

• 2a.jpg
      2a.jpg
      File size:
      58.6 KB
      Views:
  14. Cheetah

15. metalshapes

metalshapes

That looks like a lengtened Cheetah to me.
    ( same car as the one on the Trailer...)

The Brit Racers are a Berkley and I'm pretty sure the other two pics are both Buckley ( Sp)
    ( A kit car body they sold to use on a Anglia Chassis...)

16. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Thanks....so this one is a Cheetah too then I take it.
    I could stare at this car all day!
    The Kellisons are cool....but I really like the cockpit on the Cheetahs......

Attached Files:

17. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah... I love the lines on a Cheetah...

( some Road Race pics.

hopefully that wont derail the Thread too much...)

Attached Files:

18. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I haven't been to a vintage road race in a few years, but I do recall seeing one of those Cheetahs, or very similar..... 5-spokes look 'oh so right' on 'em.
    Derailing the thread???? Nah, You started it....hahahaha! Post AWAY!

Attached Files:

19. bigken

bigken

Same here, I had the centerfold of Snoopy hangin' on the wall in my basement, when I was a kid. I always dug that car.

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Michbandini likes this.
  21. turdytoo

turdytoo

OH I second the motion on the City of Industry Kurtis and what about that Booneville '57 Bird.

Michbandini likes this.
  22. noboD

noboD

The Cheetah site is cool. They accept all repro Cheetah bodies without bias of whether it has Bill Thomas's fingerprints or not. If it looks like a Cheetah, it is a Cheetah.

23. 41woodie

41woodie

Chevy Cheetahs were meant to be Cobra Killers, I lusted mightily for one of them cause I hated Fords at that time. I don't think they were a kit car like Kellison, I always assumed they were a special production shop item similar to Shelby's arrangement.

24. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Did anyone ever put one on the street???

Here's another.........

Attached Files:

25. brandon

brandon

parriott was the owners last name ...he was the mayor of city of industy ...there was a local racer in our area that had a early ferrari street car with a big stroker small block chev...he was a big shot in top gas for a while....named norm ries ......brandon
    :D

Michbandini likes this.
  26. DrJ

DrJ

27. Steve 38

Steve 38

I've always loved the Cheetahs too. Great looking cars, and very fast. Yes, I think they were created to take on the Cobra's. They were faster, but had plenty of teething problems. One of the big issues was cockpit heat. One team actually cut the roof off theirs to solve the problem. The engine was mounted so far back in the chassis the gearbox was connected directly to the diff, from memory.

I think there were less than 30 built. Bill Thomas was trying to coax Chevrolet into building them as a GM version of the Cobra, but it never eventuated. Pretty sure the factory eventually burnt down! A great shame really.

Pretty sure they were built up as complete cars at the factory, although it may have been possible to buy kit-sets. At least one of them was converted into a road car. Must have been a buzz. They could do the 1/4 mile in 10sec!

28. Steve 38

Steve 38

btw, great pics Alex. Got any more?

29. Justin B

Justin B

not really a drag car but here's another kellison for you, taken at pomona this weekend and owned by augy who also has an hilborn injected street drive gasser/altered nova

[​IMG]

i would probably sell off most of my hot rod stuff for a chance at a kellison coupe (might be able to do it with a cheeta as well but def. prefer a kellison), i really want to do a semi clone of the car nolan white won the scta points champinship with in the early 60's. 18 inch magnesium halibrands, dark blue or black, but the supercharger /turbo would have to fit under the hood unlike nolans car, and it would have to have the suspension to back up the look, so you could fuck with all the vettes, lambo's, vipers etc.

one day i will own that car.

30. Back in Escondido, CA, in the late 1960's, there was a guy named Mike Musia, and he either owned, or worked at, the Mobil Gas Station at Valley Parkway, and Fig Street (any Cruisin' Grand folks, the place is now a tire store).
    Anyway, this guy had a Bill Thomas Cheetah, and he took me for a ride that I remember vividly today, some 30 years later. We went from the gas station, up to Lake Wholford, turned around, and CAME BACK, in a little over 5 minutes..