Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any Vintage Go kart Experts, Help ID

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by porkshop, Mar 4, 2007.

1. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Bought What was told a 1971 dart kart, With A Mac-9 engine. What Im wondering is how to conferm The year, and the brand, Ive done some investigating on the internet and it looks to me to be a 68, but the gas tank is differant. Any help would be great. THANKS JOHN

Attached Files:

Rolleiflex likes this.
  2. swimeasy

swimeasy

I had that same frame in 69,so it came from the sixties for sure. BTW, mine had the same engine!!

3. It kinda looks like mine but I have no clue what mine was other than free...lol
    [​IMG]

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Awesome picture man.

5. Your kart is a 1964-65 Dart Kart, Grand Prix, or a Dart A-Bone, if you post some more pictures of the side of the frame, i can tell you for sure on the year. The McCulloch Mc-9 engine came out in 1964. The chassis was made by Rupp Manufacturing, in Mansfield Ohio. Rupp karts were top of the line in the early karting days. I have a restored 1963 Dart Grand Prix, that i run at vintage kart races.....Ed

After looking at your pictures again, your engine looks like a Mc 91, if it is a Mc-9 someone has changed the head, manifold, and carb. A real Mc-9 engine will have Mc-9 stamped on the bottom of the crankcase.

6. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Ed here is another side shot, Its all i have right now. If you need a specific area, To Id year Let me know THANKS JOHN

Attached Files:

7. Is the frame one piece, or are there heim-joints along side the seat, holding the rear section on. This picture looks like the steering hoop is narrow, and this would be called an Dart narrow hoop A-Bone. The first year for a front bumper, was 64, along with 5 inch front wheels, which yours has.

If this kart has a nice chassis, with no rewelds, its worth quite a bit of money to a vintage kart guy, or a colector of vintage karts.

8. swimeasy

swimeasy

Forgot to tell you would realy run!! At that time I only weighed about 150 lbs and 5 of that was BALLS! THANKS for great memories!!

9. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sorry cant help you on make and model , but mine looks a whole bunch like yours . i rescued this one last summer . it was a total hack job when i found it , did a shit load of work on it but was well worth it.....

Attached Files:

10. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Ed there is no hiem holding the rear section that I have seen. The chassis is a virgin, never been repaired or rewelded. Was metal flake green at one time. I will check again for those hiems, When I get home. Thanks for the help JOHN

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

13. I have "MOST" of an old Go Kart under the snow outside...the steering wheel on it is like a fuel dragster.It has aluminum mags on it but no engine. Any guesses with no picture?It is a kit or factory made frame. The dragster wheel may be a clue....

14. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

15. ditz

ditz

Go carts in east central Indiana got very sofhisticated in the early 60's. Some were running e engines with 3 carbs on each engine although most ran only 2 engines with 3 carbs each. This got to be high maintenence and high dollar racing. Engine rebuilds after 1 evening of racing. $700-$800 engines plus $400 dollar carts. The racing pistons for the Mac's had only one real thin ring. Some of the carts were running reed valves and for the long straights they had a 'maverick' switch on the steering wheel that turned the spark plug into a glow plug to eliminate point bounce at really high rpms. Man, did I want one real bad.

16. Briang701

Briang701

Sorry for resurrecting a rather old thread but I have recently gotten hold of what appears to be an old Rupp Dart, mine does indeed have the heim joints on the side of the chassis with the rubber bushings right at the seat. I have been looking and looking for info on my cart but to no avail :confused: any help in ID'ing my cart is greatly appreciated.
    Brian

17. Calboy102

Calboy102

Looks a lot like the Go-Karts my dad made when I was a kid. He did a lot of Mancow invader and other clone type carts. I used to help assemble the. During Xmas to help him keep up

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ours is a solid frame Rupp. Restored but not to as built specs. Close but I’m not looking for accolades. As the first photos from 2007, the turbine wheels are what makes a Rupp in my opinion. Ours is on a different thread and it to had a Mac when purchased in the mid 70’s. How many bushings are there? And please post a photo thanks.. EF8184D4-261F-4E95-A48E-FA744D1E320E.jpeg CF356EBD-C71E-4E7D-BC0A-BB7FA26F2318.jpeg

Joe Blow likes this.