Register now to get rid of these ads!

how to properly adjust the kick down cable on a 700r4 ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lownslow, Feb 25, 2007.

1. lownslow

lownslow

i need to adjust it after installing a new carb . how tight should it be ? it has a fair amount of slack in it now and does not want to downshift for accelleration ..... thanks in advance

2. BinderRod

BinderRod

I have a 700R4 in my ride. Do yourself a big favor and check out Bow Tie Overdrives. They have a cool little device that just about sets its selt.

BowtieOverdrive.com

3. Terry D

Terry D
    from NY

This is a little complicated as the geometry has to be correct for this trans to shift right.If you have the stock upper cable bracket and the carb is the same as stock,you release the lock on the cable,pull cable towards the firewall,then let the lock ratchet the cable into place as the gas pedal is moved to full throttle.Use the pedal,not opening the carb linkage by hand.This will get you real close.Again, the cable must be in the stock location on the carb linkage as geometry is important here.There are other ways to get the results you want if things are not stock.

4. lownslow

lownslow

cool guys thanks . for the replies . i will check that link out too ....

5. MrNick

MrNick
    from Hemet, Ca

6. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

if you run a holley 4barrel, use their bracket, or if using an edlebrock, use theirs. get a cable that has the djustablecable stop.
    set the slide adjuster that moounts to the bracket in the middle. hook the "snap on clip" to the carb. pull the cable out past the clip a .25-.5 inch and set the lock screw. has work for me on the ame trans for 6 years.

7. lownslow

lownslow

i have a holley q-jet replacement carb on it now . thanks .....

8. BigEd

BigEd

9. Vergil

Vergil

I bought mine from BowTie Overdrives and installed it myself. You have to set it with a pressure gauge. I am very happy with the setup. They would not warrent it unlees you called and gave them all the gauge pressures. I may have the instructions but may take a while to dig them up.

10. lownslow

lownslow

awesome info biged..... thanks so much . my terminology may have been wrong but you knew exactly what i was talking about . i appreciate the help ....

11. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I have the same setup with the Holley Q Jet and haven't run it yet. I was talking with a guy at one of the speed shops in San Antonio and he said that there was trouble with the TV cables travel distance when connected to the Holley. In other words the travel didn't coordinate with the plunger thing in the tranny. (I read the article and I've already forgotten the name of it.) He said that Carter made an adapter or something for their carbs and that Holley didn't. I wanted to test the idea/theory so, I guess the next thing to do is, see what the travel distance on the Holley is verse the travel distance on the original throttle body injection. If there is a significate difference in these two travel distances then, Houston we may have a problem since the return of the linkage from WOT is the important thing. I'm sure that someone else has already done this a hundred times but, ya never know. I'm going to check it when I go over to the shop this week and let you know so stay tuned boys and girls.:D :rolleyes:

12. YES, and they have an adapter for different carbs that sets the correct "ratio" of cable pull, since most carbs are NOT set up for 700's. Donnie, bring it by if you can't get it sorted out and we'll ruin it together

13. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Hey lowdown, check out www.holley.com , go to throttle linkage bracketry, p/n 20-95. Show to be the correct bracket we need but I didn't see any linkage stuff. I think it's there but it's been a long day and my batteries are running low. Later:eek:

14. lownslow

lownslow

thanks guys . great holly link too .....

groucho i may be calling you . haha ......

15. phat rat

phat rat

I'm using the bracket for a Holley and a Lokar cable on my 700. Spent the time adjusting it, all by feel and shift points no pressure gauge. I've got over 30,000 mi on it and no trouble.

16. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

LOLOLOL....Ahhhh.......Nothing like the camaraderie of two guys breaking stuff together.

17. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

If you find the instructions for setting the pressure, I'd be interested in seeing them. Or if anyone else has them. I've got a 700 R4 in my truck that has did great for a couple years now, but now I'm starting to second guess myself the more I read. I may need to buy that bracket since I have a two inch carb spacer.

18. BinderRod

BinderRod

You can get all of that information at WWW.BowtieOverdrive.com

19. extremist

extremist

I'm about to do this on an AOD, using Lokar cables and bracket for the Holley on my 302. It's a similar deal with the 700r.
    You can get decent directions also from TCI, and some of the other on-line Transmission dealers.

The Lokar directions are *excellent*. I ordered a pressure gauge for 30 bucks at the local A-Line, and a T.V. cable gauge from OTC for another 30 bucks that lets you set the correct pressure at idle and makes it pretty much a no-brainer.

I've read enough about what happens when you f*ck this adjustment up to spend the $$ to do it right.

20. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

I found some info, but it is for their special cam lock design brackets. Will it work without their special brackets? Thanks.

21. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I said that I would get back with some TV cable measurements for the Holley and the stock TBI. The TBI advanced the cable about 2" and the Holley Q jet was only about 3/4" so there is a significate difference. I would assume that you need to get the Holley to advance the cable about 2" as well. Hope this helps.

22. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

Click on this link from Classic Trucks. It works for 700-R4's and 200-4R's. Transmission Cable Setup - Tech Articles - Classic Trucks Magazine

Also go to www.bowtieoverdrives.com for all the info and specialty parts you could possibly need for this swap.

When I started looking into installing a 200-4R I just Googled it and got a lot of tech articles (Chevy High Performance Magazine I think)including one that does not use the Bowtie Overdrive's cam throttle valve kit. I hope this helps