Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Finding Love in a Jalopy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Finding Love in a Jalopy

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Stogy, catdad49, harpo1313 and 9 others like this.
  2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Valentines Day.JPG
    I took care of Valentines - Anniversary - Birthday - Christmas
    She is easy to get for,,,

3. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

You are a lucky man! My wife likes my old cars,encourages me to buy more junk OOPS I mean "projects".Goes to car shows happily.I dont have any buddies to come over so she doesnt make treats for them===2 out of 3 aint bad.

4. My honey fully supports my old car sickness. Junk yards, swap meets, wild goose chases....you name it, she will go with me. She's the BEST! Happy St. Valentine's Day, Baby. 551563_3658249493810_1923596613_n.jpg

5. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

When I met my wife, I was driving my beat up old 41' Ford pickup....sketchy starter, cracked windows, no heater, no radio, floorboards you could stick a fist through, and 5 gallon gas can behind the cab in the bed for fuel....I apologized to her for the ramshackle driver a bit too often, and kept blushing at my lack of presence. When I took her back to her apartment, and ''snuck'' a little kiss on our 1st date...she laughed, and said she had a wonderful time! Married 6 months later, she's been totally supporting of my ''car thing'' as she calls it over the years, and lets me ''do my thing'' with a reasonable budget ....I really lucked out finding my wife, because all the other dates I'd had before, it was about everything "but" cars...never a mention! Truly, I am a lucky man, and very grateful I met her, and didn't make a complete fool of myself to scare her off.

We don't do Valentines Day on Feb 14....we ''surprise'' each other with a day of our choosing in Feb, and it becomes ''our month'' instead of one day....sappy, but we both have fun with it. 001.jpg

Stogy, chryslerfan55, bct and 14 others like this.
  6. wicarnut

wicarnut

tn.jpg My Sweety, 33 years this year. We met and I was racing, ran my business, pretty busy, always was/is supportive and helpful in all of my interests, has her own career, one of my better decisions in life was marrying her. Life is good when you find the "right" partner, the bumps in road smooth out, someone to share your highs, lows with and have stated this many times, I'M A VERY LUCKY MAN !

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  7. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

I am a lucky man have the best wife a man could ask for .

8. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Talking old cars and old stuff in general is what got my now-wife and I to be interested in being more than co-workers (okay, she was my boss) in the first place.

A specific old car may not have been to blame for the beginning, but one or another has been there every step of the way since...

Our first big road trip together, to meet her family, was in this '62 Chevy II wagon...
    [​IMG]
    ...swapping on-the-fly back-and-forth from the mattress in the back to the drivers' seat between Tacoma and Glendale, we made it to her Parent's town in record time, before throwing a rod in their driveway. The "Blue Turd" made an indelible introduction of me to Sara's family.

It wasn't that bad, since a couple short years later we got hitched, using our '28 Tub as the getaway ride...
    1240005_10151855201774437_1037237384_n.jpg

Fast forward another year, and it turns out that a trip to the drags is the perfect way of coaxing out your first little one. He was born less than a week later...
    10553456_10152526645309437_5278986642327361529_n.jpg

The wife kept tagging along, even with a dude in tow...
    12963392_10154065378754437_1287099743905522482_n.jpg

And now that there's a second kid, the next addition to the family will most likely be a hot rod that the wife can call her own...
    14611124_10154598348209437_9138671172839418839_n.jpg

The take away from this is, be careful mixing love and cars. You'll need a bigger house, and garage...

9. Ha! Great story. Great pics.

I knew my wife was the one for me when she encouraged me to spend money we didn't have on an old heap because she knew it would make me happy. Like you, we got hitched in it, them came the little monsters. Life is good. We are all lucky fellas.

[​IMG]

10. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

IMG_0837.JPG My bride of 31 years has been supportive of anything I've ever been involved in and has never put any limitations on the budget for the cars we've shared or the time spent on the hobby. She goes to the shows,helps me clean and has helped me in the garage if needed,all in the name of my happiness. I wouldn't have half of the life I've lead without her.

Legends47, Stogy, MO_JUNK and 12 others like this.
  11. My wife of 11 years insists that I hid the car thing from her until after we were married. "I had no idea" she says. There were a few clues like a '41 Ford Coupe in my garage and a '58 Chevy next to the house but I guess she had her mind on other things at that time. :)

12. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

My wife Angie knew early on in our relationship that she would be competing with old hotrods and customs. We had been dating a few months when she went with me to look at and buy a model A coupe. She goes to shows, helps in the garage, and even serves beverages when the guys come over. Here she is, sanding away on the 32.
    image.jpeg

13. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Met my wife in High school she was driving a beat up old rusty 3/4 Ton 72 Chevy Pickup and I had a 29 RPU that I rodded around in, fast forward almost 13 years, we are Married 2 Kids and too damn many Hot rods, Customs, and Junk Piles to list. She still loves me and puts up with my Habbit as long as I keep my Promise to build her a Pink/ White 55 Chevy Convertible before I leave this planet she may even stick around LOL.

14. j3harleys

j3harleys

First time I picked her up I was on a Triumph motor cycle, 1112.jpeg Her mom didn't much like it but she let her go with me. She has been riding on motorcycles and riding in Hot Rods with me for over 50 years. We will celebrate our 50th anniversary at the Lonestar roundup in April. So we don't do gifts for anything anymore we already have every thing we want. Unless there is a good buy on a car in Austin she might get anew car for her anniversary. I did get a Hug this morning for Valentine's Day.

15. around 1959, mom wanted to meet the guy in the little green hot rod.............all three still together. DSCF5718.JPG

16. My wife was happy with last night's dinner at Applebees. No silly flowers or candy for her... However, she isn't into my hotrods at all. "Too highschooly" she once said of my 56 Pontiac. She wouldn't even ride in my ratty 33 ford pickup. That's ok, though. She usually leaves me alone to play with my stuff while she wanders off to do her stuff and we get together later. Works out great.
    56poncho.jpg

17. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Barbara and I dated in a '50 Mercury Coupe I had at the time (1975). Since then, we have been on a number great rides to shows etc in either the Avatar or the pickup. She was very helpful when I built the Avatar and even received a "purple heart" for her work on it.
    No doubt this 40 year long experiment has been a great success!

IMG_0770.JPG photo (2).JPG

clunker, Stogy, j3harleys and 3 others like this.
  18. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

19. guy1unico

guy1unico

My wife seems to be with me whatever i want to do with few exceptions. I really love her and hope I can keep this great roll going...32 years so far.

51214.jpg

20. catdad49

catdad49

These are some wonderful stories of people sharing their lives together. My SWEETY and I have been together for almost 44 yrs. Through out this time we have learned many things and have tolerated each others nuances, but we both have a love of old things. And that just about says it all!

21. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My better half of 51-years (next Sunday). Pic taken about 10-years ago.....

[​IMG]

22. Love this thread! Like { lothiandon1940}, Don says its not about the cars. Its all about the people. These are great stories, and pictures. I have a great wife. I could not get by with out her. here is a picture taken on our honeymoon. She is sooo sweet! Ron... 360.jpg

23. bct

bct

15271969_231901963905936_5597704649287027260_o.jpg
    happy campers at the vinyard.

24. 5window

5window

You could have written this for me! 43.75 years and counting. Congratulations on your good luck.

25. topher5150

topher5150

I defiantly feel blessed that the wife lets me pursue my passions.

26. My parents have been together for almost 50 years. It wasn't until I was about 8 years old that my mom learned of my fathers love of cars ( addiction that is, chronic ailment) 3 years later he bought his '34 Plymouth 2dr sedan and it's been 30 plus years of craziness ever since. I got into the act back in '87 when I bought my F-100. I have to say that without my family I never would have become car crazy. I love you mom and dad

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clunker, j3harleys and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  27. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Our story was one of those …AAWWW… met in college stories. It was 1966 and the beginning of the “Summer of Love” months until we got married in 1968. Those were turbulent years in our society, but we were a couple of youngsters searching for our place in this hectic world. When we first met in college, she knew I had a 65 El Camino usually parked near her 62 corvair coupe in the lower level parking lot.

Many years later, she confessed that she knew exactly when I would be at my car for a lunch break or nap between classes. An early female stalker? What? But the funny thing was, she was usually with a cute, high school girl/friend that she drove to college. ( I was not blind, either, one row ahead, usually within a good, sight line) On my side was the easy pickings of access to class schedules in a file at the registrar’s office counter. Today, there would be no way that file would be accessible to anyone. When I told her that I found her schedule and waited to accidentally bump into her between classes…that was just a classic move.

We drove all over from Baja Mexico to the Oregon border. Plus, there was so much to see and do in and around So Cal. Once the photo shoots came into being, she jumped at the chance to be part of the process. Talking to the wives or girlfriends of the hot rod/motorcycle owners, she got a different perspective of that mechanical world. She loved driving around in our 40 Ford Sedan Delivery because it had A/C. Those early long car drives in the 65 El Camino, there was no A/C but otherwise, it was comfortable. But for her own car, she wanted an El Camino with A/C. Both of those cars were easy to drive, especially when she drove and I shot photos from the bed of the El Camino or open (removed glass) rear window of the sedan delivery.

All these years later, she loves cars, maybe not as much as I do or did. But, as long as the car she drives is cool looking, powerful, has A/C, handles well, and I take care of them, she is happy. No more being stranded on a busy PCH roadway with the sand blowing across the road and her conked out Corvair on the shoulder or stopped in a dark center divider portion of the 10 Freeway in East Los Angeles at 11 pm.

Jnaki

She was even a trooper to ride on the back of our Harley to breakfasts, lunches or dinners all along the coast. Double “street/photo cred” when she came with me to photo shoots on the back of the Harley. The camera stuff in a backpack was tied to the rear sissy bar. She always rode with her leather, fringe jackets, hair flowing back, (no helmet in those days) cool shades…what a sight.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  28. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Well... We parted with Anna's 1968 Dart on Valentine's day. Then we went out to Denny's for dinner. I have a 4 speed Duster for her. And I am trying to find a way to get her a 1968 Barracuda. It has been the best 6 years of my life. And we have a Jack jr together. I love my family, "thank you hunny for putting up with my car hobby".

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Oh yeah....I forgot to mention that my sweetie also cleans engine parts and wheel covers for me.... Picture 14078.jpg

30. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I know who to contact if I need a hub cap! Wow, your sweetie has been busy!

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app