Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The worlds worst Zephyr coupe is all mine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adam401, Jan 27, 2017.

1. adam401

adam401

Thanks Pete. Can't wait to see this done and parked next to the 40 I got from you. I gotta harass Steve to get it done.

Haha when it's that straight and someone asks I'll take it as a compliment. I've seen circles straighter than this car

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Were are the HAMB cartoon guys, this is a great shot of the car hard into a left hand turn. Bob

[​IMG]

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Don't know about it being the worst Zephyr but here's a some inspiration, a recent HAMB car that was pretty far gone. Seems some of you guys are good are resurrecting these cars from oblivion. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses, subscribed. I know of a 37 Zephyr that needs work, still pondering whether to pull the trigger or not. :rolleyes:

loudbang and adam401 like this.
  4. adam401

adam401

Yeah that car is a great save. In this part of the US, cars that sit out are incredibly rusty. Like off the Titanic rusty. In my opinion if you know of a Zephyr and you can afford it, it's worth saving. Its like if I found a 32 or 34 coupe wasted to the beltline I'd weld it back together. One piece at a time. They get done

catdad49, jim mchargue and elgringo71 like this.
  5. noboD

noboD

Zephyr coupes have the best lines ever.

Late to the Party and adam401 like this.
  6. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wish I could have seen the potential in those old Zephyr coupes, back in the late 70's a friend of mine had his dads Zephyr coupe and offered it to me for $500, it was complete, most of the paint, if not all of it was still on it. I had started on the 38 Chevy that I still have. A few years later I saw one that was "street rodded", I then kicked myself seeing how well styled they were. Just one of enumerable errors in my life. The same guy had a 34 five window coupe, with a 34 two door sedan that had been hit in the back (but not all that hard), $500 for both of them.

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Great save! I'm partial to the Zephyr's myself, having the last body style, a 47 coupe. They are similar to the Ford of the same years, but oh so different. One interesting thing is the body and frame are welded together into a unit body like structure, a first of it's kind. Hope you found that missing door, bet finding another would be a needle in a haystack deal.
    Why did they start taking it apart? Paint? Looks like they would have kept all the parts close together....

8. bennybarebones

bennybarebones

adam401 likes this.
  9. Gotta wonder how they end up like that sometimes eh
    Following

Sent from my D6653 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

adam401 likes this.
  10. Can I watch?

adam401 likes this.
  11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

When I got my '36, we picked up the car, the front half of the frame came with the body, and back half stayed in the guys yard. Never moved. The right rear fender blew off the body on the way home. Half a mile. ;-) I love your ambition and love the project, makes me think I should buy the '40 coupe a friend has in his salvage yard in equally rotten condition. Oh, wait, I have three projects now!

jim mchargue, biggeorge and adam401 like this.
  12. gonzo

gonzo

New power couple, Adam and Pete, the Tetanus Twins.

jim mchargue, biggeorge and adam401 like this.
  13. adam401

adam401

Haha good stuff

14. Squablow

Squablow

Good score, great save! I must have some kind of mental issue because when I clicked on this thread and saw the pictures my first thought was "Ehh, doesn't look too bad!"

safetythird, brEad, koolkemp and 4 others like this.
  15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The level of what any of us consider a "build able car", has deteriorated dramatically in the past few years..

16. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

awesome.

adam401 likes this.
  17. adam401

adam401

Ahhh that's funny! I think we all have mental issues! Unfortunately it actually looks better in pictures. Its really bad. My theory is if your welding an inch long patch on the bottom of a quarter panel or welding the bottom 8 inches back on so what. Your going through all the same steps just putting in a bigger piece.

The low hanging fruit has been picked for the most part. We're left with the scraps now so fuck it. Lets all fire up the welders and see how many we can glue back together.

catdad49, S.F., bct and 4 others like this.
  18. mark30h

mark30h
    from new york

Reminds me of my first car. 16 years old in 1969, got a 38 Zephyr sedan in rusty but solid running shape for $100. V12 had been replaced with a V8 flathead. I spent a whole winter rebuilding the mech brakes and getting it in primer, drove it for the next summer and sold it for $300. Always wished i had kept it. The dash was so cool with the center cluster, and i loved the shifter that came up through the dash tower and out the left side.

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49, Hudson31 and adam401 like this.
  19. There's been a 4 door showing up on Ebay recently that would have a number of the parts you'll need- should be able to cobble up a door out of a pair as well!

adam401 likes this.
  20. adam401

adam401

Thanks for the tip Mac. I'll keep an eye out for that.

21. Incredible find!

adam401 likes this.
  22. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

can you say three window!! NICE

adam401 likes this.
  23. Squablow

Squablow

I'm stealing that for a new signature line. Well said.

24. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

x2?

adam401 likes this.
  25. adam401

adam401

Nope. I looked for hours. I found 1 missing tailight bezel right before I left that musta been hidden in the rust pile on the floor and fell on the ground.
    They didn't give a shit about that car it was one of many rotting on the property. It wouldn't surprise me if they used it as a sled behind a tractor to haul firewood along with the hood 30 years ago. The previous owner doesn't remeber what happened to it but he's a nice guy and said I can continue to come back and look for it

26. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Super badass. Its one of the few cars out there worthy of the task.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

adam401 likes this.
  27. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

They are still out there, they are all worth saving especially the Zephyrs! That's awesome. I can't wait. One of the most beautiful cars ever made, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

adam401 likes this.
  28. Subscribed.............

adam401 likes this.
  29. koolkemp

koolkemp

Anything you really want is worth doing, especially if you don't have the budget to start with something nice. Congrats on your new score, nice to see someone like myself !

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

adam401 likes this.
  30. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

do you want to sell it? id be interested, thanks bill

adam401 likes this.