Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Pete Chapouris

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Pete Chapouris

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Jigger, Toby Denham, Joel W and 15 others like this.
  2. I met Pete just one time and that was during the Pete & Jake Hot Rod's era and like you found Pete to be down to earth,a normal guy.

He did a lot for the industry and help legitimize hot rods.

God Speed Pete. HRP

34toddster and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. I will treasure this tee even more going forward. 20170109_104029.jpg

4. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice touch Ryan.

5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I was doing a fund raiser for our therapetic riding organization by auctioning pedal cars created by individuals and companies Pete not only did a car, but featured it on their website along with some kind words about our efforts. Went for $2000. MVC-005S.JPG

6. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Thanks for doing this Ryan. As a lover of 34 3Ws I always wanted to meet the man but the closest I got was a couple of phone conversations with him. Always a gentleman and willing to answer the question. Semper Fi

oldsjoe likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, down to earth and seemed much younger - big loss for the Hot Rod world that he helped guide down the road

8. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Never met him but as a lot of others was inspired by him.
    There are people who are bigger than life, who have an energy and spark that is contagious. These are the folks who we just assume will always be there, that we can't immagine a world without them. I have had the pleasure of knowing a few, some on this board who have sadly gone on.
    From what I read Pete was one of those guys. To his friends and family, condolenses, for the rest of us, the loss is felt deeply as well, as ledgends don't come along every day.
    R.I.P. Mr Chapouris

Sancho, oldsjoe, flatheadpete and 3 others like this.
  9. Richard Head

Richard Head

I always wanted to meet the man who sold "cool". Closest I got was seeing the green roadster he built for his dad at NW Deuce Days last summer. Although he probably made it look easier than it was, he lived a life most people I know dream of.

Dave

10. Great insight on the man. Thanks for sharing a story which reflects the underpinnings of life and business

11. firebrrat

firebrrat
    from Payson Az

I posted this on the 7th and it got deleted.. Pete was a cool guy and friend of my dad's when my brother and I were little my dad would take us to there shop. Jakes 34 fordor he has now was my dad's daily driver to work for over 30 year's. Pete will be missed..

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fordor Ron likes this.
  12. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Pete was one of the many guys I looked forward to meeting at the GNRS in a couple weeks. Now I wish I had made the trek out to California earlier..

He left behind a tremendous legacy and his name will be remembered for many years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Texas Webb and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. catdad49

catdad49

Thank you for some of your insight of the man, The California Kid, Pete Chapouris. Dave Lohr has shared of his memories and photos on another site if anyone is interested.

oldsjoe likes this.
  14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

15. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I am interested. What is the site ?

16. Pete sold me a t-shirt like that- but with the navy blue "shoulder pads" at the '78 Street Rod Nats in Columbus.
    I was a 16-year-old punk and he became my hero that day.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. I never met Mr Chapouris, but I sure knew of the legend.
    It's a shame our industry leaders have to pass on, like us regular humans, but we are all so much richer for having people like Pete in our lives, personally, or otherwise.
    RIP Pete Chapouris.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. I first met Pete and Jake many years ago in Springfield, Mo. at a Americruise event. He and "Jitney Jake" had both of their cars out on the road. We stayed at the same motel and had a chance early one morning to just "rap", one hot rodder to another. They were admiring my all steel, full fendered, uncut '33 Ford 3W and I was admiring both of their cars. There were very few people out as it was just after a rain storm. We talked and talked,these guys are the real deal. Finally, we decided to just roll over to the fair grounds and parted. Didn't see them at the fairground after that.

I didn't see Pete again for years until Speed Week at Bonneville in the late 90's. He smiled and ask if I still had the 3 window? I was surprised he remembered me and the car. He was with Chuck Lombardo and crew and the SoCal race team doing what come natural....... building and racing neat stuff.....may he rest in peace on the other side of the light. Pete was the real deal he was about the iron.

19. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

He was all class
    I was lucky to run into him at few runs and shows
    And he bought us a beer at LSRU

lothiandon1940 and oldsjoe like this.
  20. I only met Pete the once when he came to the UK street rod Nats . He came over to my Center Door "T" and made the most wonderful and complimentary comments of how the car looked and what a good job I had done on such a rare car. He also said he hoped that I managed to make sure all the nails hadn't dropped out., so true. What a lovely man he was. What a loss to our hobby. RIP Pete.

Kan Kustom and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Makes ones hart hang heavy when we loose class people like Mr. Chapouris. May he REST IN PEACE prayers and condolences to all his friends and family. Joe

flamingokid and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. wicarnut

wicarnut

On a cable TV show, he made the statement, that when he drives his Hot Rod, he's not looking through his 60 year old eyes anymore, he's back in time when he was a young man and enjoying good Hot Rod memories. Never met the man, But I thought that comment was right on the money for how we feel about our cars and cruising, a young man will not understand, for "Old Timers" hits home Big Time ! A Good Man that made a big contrbution to our Hobby.

deucemac, lothiandon1940 and oldsjoe like this.
  23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Always seize the moment, because we never know if we will be here tomorrow.

wicarnut, oldsjoe and Algoma56 like this.
  24. frank spittle

frank spittle

When I Followed my dream and opened a specialty car business in North Carolina in September 1973 guess what was on the newsstand at that exact time? R&C's Chicken Coupe issue. A friend and I caught a plane to L.A. and bought two cars from Stick City and drove them cross country. It wasn't long before Pete & Jake were at some of the doings I was at although I didn't get to know them very well. When Pete moved to Crestline in the San Bernardino mountains about 15 years later his house was close to Bob Bauder's shop who was restoring a '68 Hemi Dart for me. I got to know him better and would see him more often, I believe the last time at Bakersfield. I can't say he was a bud of mine but I can say he was one of the nicest, down to earth guys I have ever known. This hurts more than many other's recent passing for me. Like Ryan expressed in his post you didn't have to be a close friend to feel this sadness.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  25. flamingokid

flamingokid

I met him back in the late 90s and was amazed at how normal of a guy he was.In my usual too cool,nonchalant way,never brought up the "California Kid".I wanted to,but I'm from a tragically hip generation that just can't bring themselves to gush about their childhood hero. ;)

lothiandon1940 and oldsjoe like this.
  26. Boatmark

Boatmark

I think that so many of us who never had the opportunity to meet Pete, are so deeply affected by his passing, says volumes about the man he was, and the life he lived.

Godspeed PC3

oldsjoe and Algoma56 like this.
  27. As always Ryan you know what to say , thanks ! I remember doing the Shop tour at So Cal in 2010 and Dennis asked Pete to come down and meet us , I must say I was a little starstruck which sounds ridiculous but he was such a hero I was in awe. Met him a couple of times after that and always said hello , great guy who inspired many !!

28. Lil32

Lil32

Met Mr Chapouris many time at So Cal Open House days over the years and when he visited Australia with Jimmy.He signed a number of items over those years which I will treasure
    Always had time to talk to U
    R.I.P. Pete

oldsjoe likes this.
  29. rooman

rooman

I met him in the staging lanes at the Winternationals (Pomona) when he had a car in the pre race hot rod parade on Sunday morning. As everyone else has stated he was down to earth and easy to talk to--one of the best in the hobby/industry.

Roo

oldsjoe likes this.
  30. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Thanks Ryan. He was a FINE GENTLEMAN.

oldsjoe and lothiandon1940 like this.