View Full Version : Barry Weiss's DeRosa Built Cadillac has Changed

DEROSAGIRL
01-31-2006, 01:28 PM
Thought I'd share some new pics of the Cadillac that was Frank Jr's. Barry decided to change things up from those great red pinstripes to alittle something different. He showed the car on Ponoma in January. 158708

158710Enjoy~

Dat Dirty Rat
01-31-2006, 01:32 PM
I do like that better...

skajaquada
01-31-2006, 01:53 PM
tribal flames? ah man...i just compared it to the pics with sabina kelly in the winter '05 car kulture deluxe and it's no comparison. stripes are WAY better. then again it isn't my car. ppl can do whatever they want with their own cars. with those stripes i thought that was one of the baddest cars i'd ever seen...tribal flames? i think i'll go buy some von dutch energy drink and listen to some britney spears while i take it all in.....

repoman
01-31-2006, 02:07 PM
Who is barry, and where can I go smack the shit out of him?

Please get your pop's wonderful car out of his hands before he fucks it up more.

skajaquada
01-31-2006, 02:18 PM
Who is barry, and where can I go smack the shit out of him?

Please get your pop's wonderful car out of his hands before he fucks it up more.

ACK...shit, i just choked on my drink reading that.

jeffrob
01-31-2006, 02:39 PM
tribal flames? ah man...i just compared it to the pics with sabina kelly in the winter '05 car kulture deluxe and it's no comparison. stripes are WAY better. then again it isn't my car. ppl can do whatever they want with their own cars. with those stripes i thought that was one of the baddest cars i'd ever seen...tribal flames? i think i'll go buy some von dutch energy drink and listen to some britney spears while i take it all in.....

I had to flip back to the CKD, I didn't even notice that there was a car in them Sabina Kelly pics......................

I agree wit skajaquada........ the stripes were the shit!
tribal flames are for mustangs & hondas with huge aluminum wings bolted to the trunk!!!!!!

Bluto
01-31-2006, 03:22 PM
Barry Weiss is Jesse James' Godfather Does that explain anything? :D

Church
01-31-2006, 03:45 PM
Tribal flames? Stripes? Whatever? You can paint daisies and care bears on that thing for all I care.........and it would still be bad ass.

repoman
01-31-2006, 05:26 PM

Ahh, now I remember the history and the story. From what I remember, Barry isn't a builder. I'll chalk it up to bad advice.

At least it's nothing that can't buff out:D

When I saw the title of this post I had an open mind. I'm all about chopping up cars, and nothing is ever 'done'. However, holy fucking tasteless flames!

RF
01-31-2006, 05:38 PM
Ahh, now I remember the history and the story. From what I remember, Barry isn't a builder.

And that has what to do with this? If he had built the '47, would it then be all right for him to add those flames? Come on...

davidvillajr
01-31-2006, 05:38 PM
aside from the tribal/stripes debate, I really like the contrast between the satin finish car and the high gloss detail. It's a cool effect that I think looks good on all the cars I've seen with it.

Take it how you will...

fur biscuit
01-31-2006, 05:57 PM
[quote=jeffrob

I agree wit skajaquada........ the stripes were the shit!
tribal flames are for mustangs & hondas with huge aluminum wings bolted to the trunk!!!!!![/quote]

and dubbed out late model mid size pick ups...

happy hoppy
01-31-2006, 06:16 PM
sad to see Harpoons work gone.

Tim
01-31-2006, 06:24 PM
never realy dug the roof on that car, seems like it needs drip rails or some sort of shape there, but after seeing it at least partialy in gloss id definatly have to say paint the whole thing gloss black itd look waaaaaaaay beter and then have harpoon put some new striping on it, maybe a little milder.

just a thought

Chili Phil
01-31-2006, 06:35 PM
What tribe does flames like that? Now it looks like it needs some doofus billit wheels.

Please forward these comments to that Barry guy.

Muttley
01-31-2006, 06:46 PM
That thing was ugly enough the way it was, maybe they can add some 24 inch Foose wheels to complete the look.

KIRK!
01-31-2006, 06:48 PM
Goofball

seymour
01-31-2006, 07:05 PM
That thing was ugly enough the way it was, maybe they can add some 24 inch Foose wheels to complete the look.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with taste.

DEROSAGIRL
01-31-2006, 07:10 PM
Man, There are some serious shit talkers on this message board. If everyone liked the same taste in cars or anything else for that matter in this world, it would be sort of boring. It's easy to sit back and judge. Open your mind and close your mouth. Everyones idea of art isn't yours...

Barry also bought the "King of Mercs" the purple chopped & sectioned RADICAL Mercury that my dad built and won it all with in Oakland.
He also drove that car as his everyday car after having WWC in LBC load both the Merc and Cad with some serious air ride since they sit so low.

As for it not being painted; When he sold the "King of Mercs" he flew up here and bought that Cadillac UNFINISHED on site. Barry says he gets way more chicks driving those cars than his vette or jag....go figure~He's a true maniac but has a heart of gold and luvs that car! He loved the stipes but just wanted to change it up abit for the Ponoma show.

Anyhow, I wish he'd send that car back to my dad or/and Frankie for an all over classic paint job too but he's stubborn....maybe someday.

As for now...He has a sign when he shows it that says it all:

"Love it or Hate it.........Frank DeRosa created it!"

The 52 Cadillac that is in the works right now is taking FOREVER and is truly a labor of love for Frankie. He's not pulling any stops and is going top of the line on motor, uphostery, paint. It's a beauty! If you can make Paso Robles you may get the first glance at it! :p Another Cadillac that we are building as a family is (hold on to your hats) all ORIGINAL. No customizing just restoring it back to it's original beauty. My dad is known for his radical ways but thought he'd blow everyones mind keeping it original since he is pushing 80 and figures it's his last one realistically. So, it's a family affair and my 9 year old son Clint has sanded, did grinding and used the welder working along side of his Papa and Uncle the past couple of Summers getting his coveralls and hands DIRTY!

KIRK!
01-31-2006, 07:12 PM
Keep in mind that the opinion thing is allowed to work both ways.

I love Frank's stuff, just not that car, and especially not that paint job (Yes, I know it's not his paint job).

RF
01-31-2006, 07:16 PM
Keep in mind that the opinion thing is allowed to work both ways.

Exactly, sort of.

I wish Barry would have had it painted pearl pink with Kotton Kandy lettered on the trunk...cuz he can, and he wouldn't have any problem driving it around like that.

zman
01-31-2006, 08:20 PM
Man, There are some serious shit talkers on this message board.

Well of course you are asking on a board for TRADITIONAL rods and customs. You got what was deserved. Tribal flames suck ass, seriously... :eek:

jeffrob
01-31-2006, 08:31 PM
[quote=DEROSAGIRL]Man, There are some serious shit talkers on this message board.

Don't get your panties all twisted up........ whaddafuck do I know, I bought a friggin 57 chebby wit IROC wheels.......... I'm the last person with an opinion that should even come close to mattering with you...............

BTW............ the IROC rims are for sale..... I'll cut ya a deal...... they look ssssshhhhhwweeeeeet with tribal flames!!!! Rock on!

himmelberg
01-31-2006, 08:56 PM
I guess getting my HAMB tshirt in the mail today has swayed me from the standard policy of letting others critique a car. I kind of like it. There is something about it that looks "right" to me... maybe just the way those 3/4 photos were shot.

I'm not saying that I would do it that way... or that I wouldn't change it. I just like it. The basic car is ok... I guess it is just the "non-traditional" finish that sets folks off. If it doesn't look like it was built when I was in my teens its no good, right?

I really like my t-shirt. Maybe when I get over it I'll keep my opinions to myself.

hopefully, himmelberg

repoman
01-31-2006, 08:57 PM
And that has what to do with this? If he had built the '47, would it then be all right for him to add those flames? Come on...

My point was I'll give the benefit of a doubt that he didn't draw, design, or paint them himself. For once that it a positive thing, in this case.

As far as what's 'All right' to do -it's his car and he could smear it with dogshit and chase my sister down the street with it for all I fucking care. That doesn't mean I have to pretend to like it.

"Oh, that guy must be a real artist! He smears shit on his car and runs over blondes. I must love and adore him! Will he sign my dashboard with his man-juice?"

seymour
01-31-2006, 09:28 PM
hahaha HAH!

RF
01-31-2006, 09:30 PM
As far as what's 'All right' to do -it's his car and he could smear it with dogshit and chase my sister down the street with it for all I fucking care. That doesn't mean I have to pretend to like it.

Give your sister one of your avatars for the next time she gets chased. As for the man juice, you're on your own with that.

repoman
01-31-2006, 09:40 PM
As for the man juice, you're on your own with that.

I usually am.

seymour
01-31-2006, 09:42 PM
I usually am.

find a friend to lend a helping "hand" :D

Stone
01-31-2006, 09:47 PM
Whats the history of this car? How can I find more pics of it from before?

Gambino_Kustoms
01-31-2006, 10:47 PM
but!

Grinder
01-31-2006, 11:06 PM
Any car Frank derosa builds is top notch and he builds it to his vison and feeling. He gives each car his soul as tho it were his last.Hoping that it will live on long after he is gone.If some one changes it to there vison love it or hate it its theirs to do what they want with it.Frank builds his cars the way he likes his woman flashy and sleek.

slazzen
01-31-2006, 11:17 PM
I can say that driving by the De Rosa shop is the biggest thing I miss since I moved from Concord .My buddy lives in the pitt right around the corner and seeing those cars come alive was always a good day

Hot Rod Ron
01-31-2006, 11:20 PM
I don't care what anyone says that car is BADASS and I have been a fan of that car since I saw it Kar Kulture Deluxe. I need more photos and more details. Thanks for posting pics of it.

hollenbeck32
01-31-2006, 11:40 PM
Hi
I don't know how many of you saw the car at the Pomona show, but I think he wins for best display

Chili Phil
01-31-2006, 11:44 PM
Man, There are some serious shit talkers on this message board. If everyone liked the same taste in cars or anything else for that matter in this world, it would be sort of boring. It's easy to sit back and judge. Open your mind and close your mouth. Everyones idea of art isn't yours...

Well, I USED to be sort of shy about expressing my opinion, but then I saw this commercial from the El Patron Pharmacutical Co.

>Subject: Feeling inadequate, shy ...?

Do you have feelings of inadequacy?
Do you suffer from shyness?
Do you sometimes wish you were more assertive?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist about Tequila®.

Tequila® is the safe, natural way to feel better and more confident about yourself and your actions.

Tequila® can help ease you out of your shyness and let you tell the world that you're ready and willing to do just about anything.

You will notice the benefits of Tequila® almost immediately, and with a regimen of regular doses you can overcome any obstacles that prevent you from living the life you want to live.

Shyness and awkwardness will be a thing of the past, and you will discover many talents you never knew you had.

Stop hiding and start living, with Tequila®.

Tequila® may not be right for everyone.* Women who are pregnant or nursing should not use Tequila®.* However, women who wouldn't mind nursing or becoming pregnant are encouraged to try it.* Side effects may include dizziness, nausea, vomiting, incarceration, erotic lustfulness, loss of motor control, loss of clothing, loss of money, loss of virginity, delusions of grandeur, table dancing, headache, dehydration, dry mouth, and a desire to sing Karaoke and play all-night rounds of Strip Poker, Truth Or Dare, and Naked Twister.

Tequila®.* Leave Shyness Behind.(tm)

I tried it and I can say that it works as advertised.

chili phil

oldskool55
01-31-2006, 11:55 PM
so are there any "before" pictures?

Stone
02-01-2006, 12:01 AM
lmao tequila

DEROSAGIRL
02-01-2006, 12:04 AM
Any car Frank derosa builds is top notch and he builds it to his vison and feeling. He gives each car his soul as tho it were his last.Hoping that it will live on long after he is gone.If some one changes it to there vison love it or hate it its theirs to do what they want with it.Frank builds his cars the way he likes his woman flashy and sleek.

I think this is hillarious! Seriously, he has NEVER trailered any of his customs to any shows. Rain or shine he drove each and everyone of them to and from the shows. Set up day was a tradition in the DeRosa family. I can name a few of the "customizers of today" who were nothing then, that tagged along and car-pooled along for a chance to get into the show with him. (In the 70's the Merc 4 and the Sharkmobile had no windows to roll up! So when it rained in the month of January when it was SF Cow Palace or Sac Autorama it was a ride to remember) In his loud, gruff voice he once was interviewed on the evening news as to why he'd go though so much trouble and drive a car like that in the rain to a show and he replied:
"Having a car that you can't drive is like having a woman that you can't be with.."

Mojo
02-01-2006, 12:52 AM
opinions? I love tribal flames. Just because some kid paints some lime green ones on his toyota doesn't mean they themselves are tacky. The basic pattern of sharp points and pullbacks is common on pacific island tattoos from at least a few hundred years ago. And I think it looks better now. The strips themselves were killer, but from any distance, it looked like red stains on the fenders, more than anything else. My opinion.

Bluto
02-01-2006, 02:35 AM

Ok My comment was made to explain that Barry ''Didn't just come from nowhere''

As explained here so many times ''It is an individuals right to express himself and likes'' .....It belongs to him. And I can tell you in is in much better condition since Barry spent a bunch of money on it. So let the next owner paint it however he wants. For now that's the way it is....

I don't know many people that can laugh as well as Barry. :D

hatch
02-01-2006, 06:44 AM
Nice layout....subtle colors....nice contrast to the radical bodywork.....works for me.

brainfrz
02-01-2006, 08:15 AM
Here is a pic of the before from R&C coverage of Mooneye's X-mas '05.

0601rc_moonxmas_web_17_z.jpg (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=158853&stc=1&d=1138802395)

Tribal, not my thing...paint scheme with the gloss over the suede...nice touch. The strip job from before is nice but a bit busy.

b-frz

Grinder
02-01-2006, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=brainfrz]Here is a pic of the before from R&C coverage of Mooneye's X-mas '05.

0601rc_moonxmas_web_17_z.jpg (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=158853&stc=1&d=1138802395)

It was not ment to impile that frank didn't drive his cars .But how he aproched each car he built

Nads
02-01-2006, 12:42 PM
I've been beaten up for being a Frank DeRosa fan and I have a tribal tattoo.

I live in a world removed from reality.

I like DeRosa's stuff, he's out there.

Stone
02-01-2006, 09:54 PM
I like it and would like to see more pics and more info on it.

notebooms
02-02-2006, 12:22 AM
To each his own is usually my thought, but flashy tribal flames on this Caddy? Lordy please forgive this soul and save this Cadillac, and please lordy keep away the evil glowing, flashing blue lights mounted beneath and billet wheels. Amen. Now back to being open minded.... to each his own.

-scott noteboom

jeffrob
02-02-2006, 07:02 AM
Everyone should remember that a FORUM is no place to express an opinion.

Everyone PM me so we can make up our collected thought and all post at once....... (insert cute smilie whatever here)

glassguy
02-02-2006, 08:40 AM
i love that car!! i would like to see it shiney, with some chrome around the windshield.. i remember seeing construction photos doing the grille headlites in a magazine years ago.. frank rules

Grinder
02-03-2006, 10:58 PM
i love that car!! i would like to see it shiney, with some chrome around the windshield.. i remember seeing construction photos doing the grille headlites in a magazine years ago.. frank ruleswhats up nads? me too

b-bob
08-25-2011, 06:06 PM
What has Barry been doing all his life? Does he have a history of having custom cars, and he must of had a good job to afford these cars. Just curious, i like his humor on the tv show.

metalshapes
08-25-2011, 06:18 PM
TV show Drama.