Register now to get rid of these ads!

Transmission selection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Poopbox, Nov 2, 2011.

1. 50Poopbox

50Poopbox

So I just found my next project vehicle. I found a 59 F100. It currently has 1 292 with a ford-o-matic. It also comes with a 223 and a 3 speed. Whats everyones opinions on each tranny? Will the 3 speed bolt up to the bell housing of a 292? I would like to get as many opinions as possible because Im picking the truck up saturday and the dude is keeping the 223 and 3 speed unless I give him $200 more. I initially wanted the inline 6 but the 292 is brand new rebuilt. Give me some opinions guys.

2. squirrel

squirrel

The automatic shifts by itself.

Do you know what bellhousing the six comes with? is it out of one of those trucks, or something else?

Those trucks used a hydraulic clutch, the bellhousing mounts to the frame, it might be difficult to find all the parts...

3. Ole don

Ole don

I would keep the 292 but use a five speed behind it. The truck stick bell housing shold not be hard to find.

4. I put 100K miles on a '57 TBird with a Ford-o-matic back in the seventies. I don't remember any problems with the transmission (of course the newer designs are better but it has been 50 years). It would be useful if a few others chimed in here. Depending on how and how much you intend to use the truck it might be good to just leave it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Charlie Stephens

5. 50Poopbox

50Poopbox

Squirrel the six comes with the stock bell housing that cam in the truck that bolts up to the 3 speed.

I think I am going to run the Ford-O-Matic for a while until it either gives me problems or I get a wild hair. I just started the thread to get some opinions. Try to help me make the decision if I should buy the 6 and tranny.