Register now to get rid of these ads!

Auto Appraiser recommendation . . .

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fryguy, Nov 1, 2011.

1. fryguy

fryguy

Looking for an auto appraiser in the South East Pennsylvania area. Have a chance to buy a 1937 Ford Club Convertible that was originally built by my uncle in the 50's and then restored in the 90's Uncle passed away in the early 2000's and sold it right before he died to a guy who was bugging him for years to sell it. The man has since passed and his son and wife want to sell. They originally wanted $50k for it. Overpriced as its been for sale for close to 3 years with no serious buyers. Recently talked to the son and I shared my story of how my uncle built it as he knew my uncle well. He's says he would probably sell it now for around $40k. Its a hard car to price as there were only a handful over 200 built. 1937 club convertible with 85hp flattie, stock drivetrain with hydraulic brakes. Leather interior with rumble seat. Wide 5 bolt pattern with Ford optioned stainless wheel covers and caps. Covertible top and interior is showing its age. Motor does overheat in the warm weather but starts right up without troubles.

I am looking for an honest appraisal to try and get a true value on the car so I can make an informed offer to the son. Right now I fell the 40k is an overvalue as it does need work. But like I mentioned its a hard car to put a value on. If the appraisal is dead on, I can live with the fact that its out of my price range. The son is interested in trading for my '31 roadster and I feel the car and cash could land the '37.

Anybody recommend an honest and fair appraiser in the SE Pa area?

-Fryguy

2. Check the internet for recent comp sales for similar vehicles

Jim

3. fryguy

fryguy

TV, thanks for the tip. The problem is that the car is fairly rare, only 220 of them made. Hasn't been one or two sold but in the past few years.

Fryguy

4. Contact someone at the Early V8 Club, they would have a member in your area for sure and hopefully could help you.
    Doug
    www.earlyfordv8.org

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Check Hemmings Magazine. Also, since they are so rare that price is not unreasonable. You could not restore it for that amount. Check what a good 37 coupe is going for and then ad 10K to the price. $35 K would be great, but it all depends on how badly you want it. Plunk down $35K in front of the owner and see what happens. By the way1,250 1937 Ford Roadster Model78-710 were built and 8,001 1937 Ford Club Cabriolets Model 78-760-B were built. I think that 200 number is incorrect.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  6. "The 1937 Ford Book" published by the Early Ford V8 club shows on page 1-5 that there were 6236 Club Cabriolets produced. This is body type type 760-B. Is this what the tag on the firewall says or is there also a "club convertible" out there? If you end up with the car be sure to get a copy of this book.

Charlie Stephens

7. fryguy

fryguy

Thanks for the heads up. I do have an inquiry into the club to see if there is someone local to help give an appraisal

8. Give Alan C. Orenstien a call at 215-620 7434 in Jenkintown, Pa 19046

[email protected]

autoappraisalsbyalan.com

Alan appraised my 39 Ford Sedan last year. He is an AACA National Judge, Certified Appraiser, etc. Good Guy

Tell him Bernie from Manchester, Md sent you.

Murph

9. fryguy

fryguy

Appreciate the info and I am off on the numbers. I know I did some research a few years ago and narrowed down the numbers on the production numbers just based on the options, club convertible with the 85 horse engine and rumble seat. I am sure the price is fairly close but I would like to have a estimate of what it is worth for my piece of mind. If the appraisal is right on for what the guy wants then I am ok with that. I just don't see the car bringing $40k that needs an engine rebuild, new top and interior as well as the body being stripped, redone and repainted. I have been tettering on the 30-35k range and I am thinking 35K is still high but since its a car that was done by a family member I would be inclined to overpay. I just need to find that line. If an appraiser says its only worth $30k, I would still pay $35.

Here is a Winfield built 37 that is now being offered at $49k. This car is a lot nicer and doesn't need anything, I don't know if I could pay $10k less for a car thats only half as nice.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=616595

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

My numbers came from THE V-8 ALBUM published by The Early Ford V-8 Club of America in 1985, Page 109. It shows that the model 78-710 1937 Ford Roadster had only the front seat and a rumble seat. The 1937 Club Cabriolet had the front seat and a rear seat but a trunk instead of the rumbleseat. The convertible top ion the Model 78-710 shorter in length also. Photos are shown in the book .

11. There was an appaiser in the Exton area, Jerry Schnieder (sp?) he came to our club picnic and appraised the cars about 20 yrs ago. Maybe retired, but someone in that area may know him.

12. fryguy

fryguy

Thanks agian for the info. The car actually have front seat, rear seat and rumble seat. I don't know if my uncle added the rumble seat when he built it back in the 60's. My uncle or dad never made that part know to me.

Pa

13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

14. fryguy,

You might send ChevyGirlRox a PM. Megan told me she deals with appraisers from all over.

15. Special Ed

Special Ed

Rarity alone is NOT a solid indicator of value. You would think so, but it isn't.
    I've had appraisers ask me to tell them what something's worth, as they've said "Nobody knows as much as you do about that car". Not knocking appraisers out there, but it is a relatively subjective art... and rare cars just make it more so. In a transaction, it is worth what someone wants to pay. No more, no less.