Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 235 Hydraulic Lifter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HUSSEY, Nov 1, 2011.

1. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Any one know where I can get some cheap hydrolic lifters for a full pressure chevy 235, it's a 1953. I've found them for $12 a piece. I just find it annoying that Summit sells a wide selection of lifters for $3 a piece, just not the size of the 235. They're pretty big in diameter, 0.989 in.

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Try Patricks, Egge, or Chevys of the 40s

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  3. Zeke

Zeke

You get what you pay for.....

4. 6inarow

6inarow

there havent been any good hydraulic lifters for over 20 years for 235's. Patrick ONLY sells solids.

Dont buy them or you will learn how difficult a cam swap in these engines is.

5. They're probably different, so maybe someone more knowledgeable can correct/refute me, but I seem to recall that BBC lifters fit in the later series Chevy 6 (194-230-250-294)...any chance the same might be true for the 235's?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

get your old ones relapped??

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

No, sometimes you don't even get that.

8. Snarl

Snarl

Why do you want new lifters? are you having issues with the ones you have, or are you rebuilding a motor, or??

If its bleeding out and hammering at sustained rpms, I'm afraid putting in new lifters isn't likely to fix it. These engines just do not like hydraulic lifters.

If you are rebuilding a motor, I would suggest you switch over to a dual pattern solid lifter camshaft. Surface the tips of the rocker arms and you will get rid of most of the noise associated with solids.

9. isky1843

isky1843

I ordered a set from a local machine shop. They were about $11 and some change if iirc. They didn't have them on the shelf but brought them in from Dallas the next day. Federal Mogul brand I believe. I can get you the part number tonight if that helps. Just out of curiosity, why are you replacing them?

10. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Thanks for all the replies.

Lifters in the 230/250/292 are smaller diameter than the previouse generation engines.

I have a 235 that I was wanting to rebuild but the parts for it keep going up and up and up after more research.

I rebuilt a 350 about 10 years ago when I was just out of highschool for my Blazer. I think back then I spent 500 for all the machine work and a master engine rebuild kit. A master rebuild kit from Kanter, Egge, and others is well over $1,000 for a 235, just too rich for my blood.

So...did a little more research and have decided to go with a 1964-1975 Chevy 250. They have design upgrades and you can get parts at a very resonable price. Langstroms sells bolt in engine mounts for 150 and I'll have a modern style Chevy bellhousing bolt pattern. The Chevy 250s are starting to seem fairly plentiful to, by try and find a 292.