Register now to get rid of these ads!

Haunting noises coming from engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kingdesgn, Nov 1, 2011.

1. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

Ha Ha! No kidding though. When the engine is cold and after revving the engine, directly after I hear a moan sound almost like a medium pitched hmmm. While it's doing this, the engine bogs a bit. Maybe a vacuum leak or maybe has a timing issue? I know this sounds absolutely ridiculous but it's true. It's an all original 390 FE that has 119,000 miles on it. The car that it's in is a 64 Gal.

Thanks for any reply! God bless!

2. Don't rev a cold engine, it makes them angry. You wouldn't like it if it gets angry

3. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

What he said

4. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

I know ... I know. It just seems weird for it to make that noise.

5. BISHOP

BISHOP

6. It's 46 year old technology and well past its normal life expectancy at 119k.
    I can assure you that it didn't live this long by being reved cold.

Maybe its the first sign of something in the engine telling you it wants out.
    When things inside an engine want out they get their way and its not pretty.

If its fine and quiet after it warms up, I would just not rev it cold anymore.

7. Ha Ha Ha LMFAO! That's good guys!

Although it seems as if it could be a vaccum leak.

8. outlaw256

outlaw256

i use to have a neighbor who would rev up his 63 chrysler that he just bought. it had about 73,000 miles on it beautiful car.i tried to explain to him that that oil has to have time to get to where it needed to be and also to warm up a bit.well he didnt listen. he was older and smarted than this 19 yr old kid. guess what i bought about a month later. a blown up chrysler.with a big ol rod stickin thru the block.he gave if i remember right about 1800. for it and i gave him 150.not to bad for me.

9. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

I know it sounds ridiculous though man!! I know I shouldn't be revving it when cold but it happens right after it starts as well. I put my ear up to the master cylinder and it sounds like the noise is coming from around there. Maybe the brake booster?

10. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Real good chance that it is coming from the booster. That was one of my first thoughts befor getting to your last post. A small vacuum leak internaly for a moment as vacuum builds. Just start with cooler weather?

11. BISHOP

BISHOP

NOPE. Its the devil.

12. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

Thanks for the reply ... yes it started this in cooler weather ... it never gets cold here in South Texas! ;) So you think that this should be in need of repair or think I could leave like it is for a while?

13. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

My thoughts exacly

14. I had a booster make some funny noises, like if you would hum thru your nose.
    When I pulled the booster a Genie popped out.
    At first I was scared, I hit my head and smashed my finger. I said SOB, I wish you wouldn't have scared me like that. Then I wasn't scared any more. Fuck I wish I never took this Fucking thing off, and oh yea, I wish you'd keep quite in there.

That was on a 1964 galaxy with a 390 - ya never know .

15. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

That's funny.

16. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Drive it for a few,note if the power assist changes. If not probably will be OK.

17. Leaky brake boosters are very common on Fords.

18. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Disconnect brake booster, pulg port to intake, see if noise goes away.

19. Or just clamp off the hose with a pair of needle-nose vise-grips.

20. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

I started the ol' Gal last night and heard the noise again and tried to pinpoint its location. It sounds like it's coming from the PCV valve. I'm sure it hasn't ever been replaced. Will a PCV valve make this sort of noise if it's going out? I have a new one ordered and I plan to replace all the plumbing that's connecting it all as well. Whatcha'll thank?

21. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

I failed to say that this PCV set up I have is the original setup for the 1964 390s. The valve covers are bald.

22. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Im bald and i moan about it all the time

23. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I started my cold truck once and heard something contact the fan. Twice. No moan, just a braa-ta-ta-tat-ting. Braaaaa-ta-ta-ta-ta-tat-ting.

Stopped the engine and popped the hood. Found a dazed cat looking at me.

24. BISHOP

BISHOP

I had the same thing happen to me.... except I was about five miles from my house. That cat had quite a ride. When I opened the hood, hair was everywhere.

25. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

That's awesome kids .... You should all be fn' comedians.