Register now to get rid of these ads!

any help appreciated.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the [mutant earthling], Nov 1, 2011.

1. the [mutant earthling]

the [mutant earthling]
    from wisconsin

ANY HELP APPRECIATED, TWO SUBJECTS#1-i have a 350 in a 38 chevy. it has the original vintage radiator[non vented cap], can i put a vented cap on this and hook up a overflow tank? don/t drive the car a lot so don't want to do the new radiator thing. #2- have a 350 with a 700r4 in my 48 ply. was driven from kentucky to wi. i have driven this car to a couple shows. on the way back from the last one i stop for a ice creamer and when i got back on the hyway it would not shift in to 3rd or overdrive. tranny has the cable for the carb hookup but has no elec hookup. almost seems like the converter isn't doin what its spose to. need to get this fixed this off season. any help?? the[mutant earthling]

2. 37_chevy

37_chevy
    from Nebraska

I have a '37 chevy with a small block. Had the original radiator recored and had overheating problems. While trying to solve that, I discovered that the original radiator fill hole was too deep and the gasket on the new pressure cap was about a quarter inch away from touching anything. Therefore, it held no pressure. The short term fix was a trip to Ace Hardware. I found some shims that fit inside the fill hole and stacked them up to take up the space. It helped, but I still ended up biting the bullet and getting an aluminum radiator.
    Hope this helps. I've never had a 700R4, so I can't help you there.