Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brief Question here. . .

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by White_Attack, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Yeah, um. . How do you keep cats and rodents out of your engine??
    They keep crawling up inside and making a Mess! Darnit!
    I have a car cover but its not a wrap around and no garage or Car port.
    Any ideas?

Thanks-

2. Old&Low

Old&Low

The only way I've found that truly works is to drive it often, even if it's only to re-park it. I also have limited success with those 'tree shaped' Evergreen air fresheners. It depends on the type of rodent; around here we have 'Pack' rats and those suckers are big enough to cause some REAL damage very quickly.

3. roughneck424

roughneck424

4. I have found the following work for rodents (recommended to me by fellow HAMBers).

-Mothballs (Also works for cats)
    -Irish Spring Soap
    -Dryer Sheets
    -Glue traps
    -Also tape up your exhuast tips so the little bastards don't go inside.

All of those things seem to work fine. My '56 is in winter storage at my Grandma's house and she has quit a rodent problem. Not one of the little guys has gone near my car. Supposedly they hate the smell of dryer sheets and Irish Spring soap.

5. chubbie

chubbie

moth balls also work to keep humans away;), but don't do shit for mice!!

6. I've heard of a "Rat" motor but not a rat in your motor!

7. Darn rodents are like the Taliban m-----m terrorists, they get in where they are not wanted and start inflicting damage! Home Depot has these plastic clawed compartment traps that releases down on them & kills them dead, they work great by placing them against the side of a tire & brick next to it as well forcing them to go staright into the trap! Note; a small dab of peanut butter draws them right in!

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

need to wrap a study tarp all the way around ride --top to bottom-jack it up and slide tarp under tires, etc. use heavy duty plastic and good quality duct tape to cover at much of engine bay and open flooring as possible before covering car-are correct about taping up exhaust pipe openings-but, the damn creatures will still get in if you do not check on a regular basis for new holes in tarps.

9. How about the Kitties now? They're more of a problem than Mice!

10. Shotgun :D

11. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The cats are there because the mice are there.

12. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Polished Billet is the only answer............................
    [​IMG]

13. MRTS33

MRTS33

Peppermint oil is supposed to work so I hear.

14. May not do shit for mice but they can work for cats.

15. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

Leave the casualties where they lie for a day or two. When the other ones see em they'll realize they shouldn't be hanging around and make like a banana.

16. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

i thought this was gonna be a question about underwear. anyway... good luck with you critter problem.

17. Skcollob

Skcollob
    from UK, Kambs

Cedar wood chips, apparently they don't like them. You can buy little bags of 'em here.
    The girlfriends brother has an Alfa Romeo, one day the electrics went weird. "it's an Alfa" I thought, but his garage said "sir do you live near water?" Rats from the canal by his place had made a nest in his loom, chewed and reshaped it... miracle the thing started & ran.

18. outlaw256

outlaw256

wait ti you go to check your oil and bump heads with a rattlesnake. that will make your heart skip a beat.

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

It's all in how you handle them... Gary

Attached Files:

20. Cats usually crawl up on the engine to get warm. If it not a car that you are driving then your problem is not a normal cat problem.

Rats on the toher hand are looking for a place to build a nest out of the weather. It could be that the cats are after the rats. so if you cure your rat problem you have most likely cured your cat problem.

Rats dont like the smell of moth balls, but don't lay them loose on the engine they will disolve from humidity (unless you live up near Onterio or Wamic I am going to guess it is humid where you live) and eat your paint stain your aluminum etc. Just get yourself a box of mothballs and poke holes in the box.

So now rat problem cured and most likely the cat problem as well.

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Leave the last dead one out as bait... Gary

Attached Files:

22. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Dam cats peeing on your car is really bad [marking i guess it's call,what the best thing to put near car to keep them from spraying.? Has nothing to do with finding rats.
    Do the mothballs work for that.?
    That cat pee small seems to hang for ever,even after ya find were the spot is and clean hell out of it?may be a better cleaner then amona and Febreze works best i found so far.
    I'd kill every cat,but the wife would kill me.

23. Go to the pet store and buy that stuff that repels cats and dogs. Spray it around the car they won't bother it any more. You may have to do it more than once.

24. belair

belair

A big dog if you have room, but a small one will fit under any hood, and usually does the job.

25. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

Lead them over to your least favorite neighbors house with treats and candy... :D

Will take care of them and the neighbors. Two birds, one bag of skittles.

26. hybred355

hybred355
    from Ont. CAN.

Where the hell is Onterio or Wamic??? Spell check???? Larry

27. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I quit feeding the cats. When they run of mice to eat, they either starve to death or go somewhere else