Register now to get rid of these ads!

another vin location on 57chevy 3100 pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by revedup57, Nov 1, 2011.

1. revedup57

revedup57

Hey guys, I am trying to locate another vin # on my 57 chevy 3100 pickup. The plate on the door pillar is really smooth and almost non-readable and the engine and trans have been replaced already. Is the vin # stamped anywhere else on the truck, like the frame or firewall? thanks.

2. James Curl

James Curl

On top of the frame just to the front of the original steering box between it and the emergency brake, that's where it is on on 55 3100, should be the same on yours. If I remember right on the 57 that would be the original engine number which is also on your title, and the tag on the door frame should all be the same. 57 was the first year that all three matched. 55 &56 the plate was on the body, was the body number and the engine and frame carried the same number.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  3. squirrel

squirrel

The number on the frame won't be the complete VIN, you have to know what model it is (which should be obvious from the frame dimensions). The frame number will start with 57 and have a letter for the assembly plant then the 6 digit serial number.

Since it's a 3100 truck the whole vin will be either 3A57Lxxxxxx or V3A57Lxxxxxx.

The V8 trucks start with a V, the 6 cyl trucks don't. The V8 trucks will have the front engine mount brackets riveted to the frame.

The stamped number on the frame will appear two places, one is where you can see it near the steering gear on top of the frame rail, the other is under the cab on top of the driver side frame rail.