Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A stock chassis/ firewall placement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alienbaby17, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Probably an easy question but I have to ask.

When building a Model A on an original frame do you have to recess the firewall to run a SBC motor?

Thanks, Jay

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

A lot of un answered questions

Year of the A?.. 30-31's can be flipped (turned around) to gain some room..28-9's not so lucky

also how high you run it in the frame rails may dictate how far back you may need the recess

I recessed my 28 A's firewall about 3.5 " ..i wanted to run a mechanical fan, and have some room to do so
    so the set back of 3.5" was a necessary part of doing so

also if you are running multiple carbs, (im running 3) so mine needed to give some room, but mostly for the distributor..

its a mock up and measure twice kinda deal, sharpen up your pencil and get a good tape measure, its going to be your friend for a while

3. I saw a very nice Model where the owner had made a small dog house in the firewall to clear the distributor. Of course this was a small original distributor from the fifties/sixties. Having said that a lot will depend on where you locate everything in the chassis.

Charlie Stephens

4. clockwork31

clockwork31

5. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Sorry about the lack of details. I mistankenly assumed they'd all be pretty simillar. This is for a '30-'31 truck.

It would most likely just have a single carburetor for the near future.

I'm still in the planning phase and trying to figure out if I want to run an original frame or maybe do something different. I'm not even sold on the SBC but for right now I'm leaning that way. I don't like the idea of having to cut up the firewall though. I guess if reversing it is an option that could be interesting.

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

If your using stock frame, you will have to modify the firewall...

7. speedyg948

speedyg948

saw a 30 A coupe running a V6 with a five speed tranny, didnt have to touch the firewall, still had plenty of leg room and got a ton of gas mileage to boot.. old guy said it had no problem getting up to highway speeds and he was as happy as a queer in boys town with it.....now if i can just get past that 6 cylinder thing...

8. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

You can put a small block in without touching the firewall if you run an early points dist. or a Mallory and a single pully setup on the short waterpump from a 57 Chevy. Set it as close to the firewall as you can and low enough that the dist. is in the inset section.

9. flipping the firewall still requires cutting it.

10. woodypecker

woodypecker

If you put it on 32 rails and center the rear axle you will have 2 1/2 inches extra in the engine bay. 32 wheelbase is 106 and A is 103 1/2. Push the crossmember forward 1 inch and you now have 3 1/2 inches.

11. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I would set the motor high enough to run a mechanical fan whatever you decide to do about the firewall...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  12. Turning the firewall around is no small job. I do like the looks of it if you turn the center back around so the ribbs still go to the front. Then you need to do a little something for the floor boards. Also the angle around the 3 sides give a little something to deal with. Like I say "No small job" but nice when done right. Don't over look you need to patch where the steering used to come through and then make new access for it.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files: