Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frys 55 F100 build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fryguy, Oct 31, 2011.

1. fryguy

fryguy

So, I ended up selling my model A truck and picked up a 1955 Ford F100. The truck was in the process of a 7-8 year amateur restoration. It was sold to a young kid who had a landscaping business that he was going to use as an advertisement. He owned it for 3 months and decided he wasn't a car guy so I bought it off him. You can tell it was an amateur resto but by someone who took care in how it was done. Straight 6 and trans was rebuilt and runs really good. Three speed shifts good as well but it maybe time for a new clutch. A few things I did right away was fix the speedometer and added new side mirrors. It had a defunct charging system when I got it so I added a 12 volt generator from a tbird and a new voltage regulator from NAPA. Added a pertronix electronic ignition to the distributor and coil. I then went to posies and bought front and rear 3 inch drop leafs. It didn't dropped the front enough for me so I called up Sid at Nostaligic axles and bought a 3 inch drop axle that is going in this week. This weekend I went to central PA to pick up a set of Ford truck wheels that where advertised as 15 x 5 from a 61 F100. When I got there I looked at the wheels and noticed they were 16 x 4.5 Didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth so I bought them in a hurry. Already had 15 inch G78's with 3 inch white walls that I will have to push back for another project. I need to replace the door windows with new glass so I dopped the old glass at the cutters and they are getting done this week as well. Truck is in a grey primer right now and I haven't decided on a color yet but I am leaning towards a pale misty mint green that I think is a late 40's early 50's GM(Caddy/Buick) color. Here are a few pics of the truck, the day I picked it up. My buddy(sneakyPete here) is standing by laughing at me, which is usual.

-Fryguy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fryguy

fryguy

The previous owner removed the gas tank from behind the seat and literally strapped it in the bed. Not the neatest look but I do like the look of the cab with the filler tank removed. I am going to relocate the gas tank underneath the back of the bed between the rails. It has a newer woodkit install with new metal lathing strips that are in primer as well. I do want to replace the straight six with a head scratching V8 engine, something like a Packard, Studebaker or Edsel. Something that makes people go huh? when I open the hood. I have also in inquired about a early 60's Lincoln Continental 430 engine as well as an AMC 327. Tomorrow I am going to take a look at a '55 Olds 325. Not really head scratching but would look cool between the frame rails. I have even contemplated running a Pontiac 455 in there as well. Not a real Nostalgic engine but it has that old engine look. It also has abundance of HP and torque. Plus it has that really cool Pontiac engine blue color that I like

3. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

Cool project, can't wait to see some more pic's I love these trucks . Just picked up a 55 f100 doing a ground up over winter on it. Always looking for ideas.

4. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

ive been kicking around the idea of building one of these myself.good luck!

5. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

Looks like a solid truck with lots of potential. Keep us posted!

6. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

7. fryguy

fryguy

LOL, thanks Sid! I got the axle and spindles ready to go. I'll be dropping them in next week when I return from Business on Monday. Right now doing a lot of parts gathering. Got the wheels. Now I am working on the coming up a cool, old motor. Leaning towards a late 50's Oldsmobiles. I would like something off the wall in the truck but nothing has materialized.

Thanks again Sid for taking the time and hooking me up with all the parts for the axle. You are a great guy and I recommend everyone buy their drop axle from you

8. voodoo1

voodoo1

Looks just like my old '55. Mine had a tilt front end though. I would really like to find another one. Mike

9. fryguy

fryguy

Took a pic of the truck before we swapped out the front axle with one of Nostalgia Sid's drop axle. The pic as it sits has Posie Super Slide 3 inch springs front and rear. I'll post the after axle swap pics once the swap is complete

[​IMG]

10. fryguy

fryguy

Ok, was able to swap in the drop axle from Sid. Ended up using the drop tie rod blocks as well. Ended up having to heat and bend the steering arm to clear the drag link but other than that it was fairly straightforward. Combined with the Posies super slides it really brings the front down and has that slight rake that I can adjust with tire size as well. Nice having the front wheels centered in the wheel well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. fryguy

fryguy

I picked up a set of early Ford 16 inch wheels that were advertised as 15 inch f100 wheels which are a 15 inch version of the early ford wheel. These have the right look to them and I am going to use a 40's ford truck cap with them. I am still on the fence as to using whitewalls or blackwalls on them

[​IMG]

12. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Nice truck. Love those wheels and caps you pictured!

13. fryguy

fryguy

Heres a shot of the HO stock straight 6 engine. PO rebuilt the engine and it runs like a champ. Keeping it for now but looking for a vintage V8 to swap out.

[​IMG]

14. fryguy

fryguy

Need to relocate the gas tank as the PO removed it from behind the seat, smooth the cab and put it in the bed, literally, as is, lol. It works but very hokey. Going to relocate under the bed between the back of the frame rails.

[​IMG]

15. 55 F-100s gas tanks are not behind the seat ...53-55 were under the cab,56 were behind the seat,I guess they were trying to be like chevies (yuck!)

16. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

looks good ! in the process of doing a 55 myself right now !

17. F100's make fun trucks cruise around in.

18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Pretty cool. I'll be watching to see how this one turns out. You've already got the stance down too.

19. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Those are awesome trucks.
    Good for you, and keep us in the loop on your progress.
    Cheers.........

20. uc4me

uc4me

Nice truck...effies are cool!

21. ugotpk

ugotpk

As soon as you start messin with these trucks. You just can't leave them alone!

22. MonteSS

MonteSS

Very nice truck.

23. fryguy

fryguy

You are right about that. I had a '53 f100 that I prematurely got rid of. I kicked myself a lot for selling that one. This a replacement. I have always felt that 53-56 F100 were my favorite series truck.

24. FityFive

FityFive

You got a love mid-fifties ford trucks!

25. fryguy

fryguy

Been spending time working on the roadster so I have been absent on the truck. I am having a hard time deciding new engine choices as well as what wheel and tire combo. So this weekend I decided to make a new grill for the truck. I pickup up a 52 Ford truck grill and want to try that with the extra 3 teeth kinda like a Desoto grills for trucks. :D The stock 55 grill is about 6 inches longer than the 51-52 grill. Gonna see how the new grill looks with the stock turn signal housings. May have to swap them out as well. Pic is of the truck with the grill removed, A blank canvas . . .

[​IMG]

26. fryguy

fryguy

Here is a pic of a stock 51 Grill. I spent the better part of an evening removing and reparing a few dents in the teeth. I had to measure out where I was going to place the 6 teeth and where I was going to cut. I ended up spacing the teeth every 7 inches, technically the first tooth would be placed so that it ended at 7inches from the left side, Second tooth placed so that it ended at 14 inches and then the third would end at 21 inches. I will do the same from the right side. Each tooth is about 4.5 inches wide. The final measurement of the grill bar itself without the light rings should be 44 inches. This would leave a 2.5 inch gap between each tooth.

[​IMG]

27. fryguy

fryguy

I wanted the teeth to cover the cut and weld marks. I will finish the welds but if I can cover that up the better. To do that I had to make two cuts and weld two three inch extensions about 20.5 inches from each side. This will give me a total of 6 inches of extension to match the overall length of the stock grill.

Here is a pic of the first cut and 3 inch extension added

[​IMG]

28. fryguy

fryguy

I welded the bar back together before cutting and welding in the second extension. Not sure if I had a reason to do it this way just seemed simpler this way to keep the grill straight.

[​IMG]

29. derbydad276

derbydad276

my vote is a nail head buick unless you can find and aluminum olds motor

30. fryguy

fryguy

Here is a pic of the grill bar tacked together for mock up. As it sits, all the grill teeth will space out evenly and measures 44 inches across. I do have to drill new holes in the firewall as for some reason the headlight rings have mounting spaces in different spots than the 55 rings.

[​IMG]