Register now to get rid of these ads!

216 starter flywheel help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BULLFROGG, Oct 31, 2011.

1. BULLFROGG

BULLFROGG
    from KY

Hey guys,
    been working on this 49 chevy 4 door for a while now. I had the flywheels surfaced and the starter rebuilt and converted to 12 volts. Well before all this the cars started ok everytime.
    Now, every few cranks it grinds and may do it two or three times in a row. What am I missing here?
    I am using the same parts that came off of it.
    thanks,

2. gas pumper

gas pumper

Strange as it seem, the 6 volt pinion is different than the 12 volt. As is the flywheel teeth between factory 6 and 12 volt cars. So if the guy that did the starter put a 12 volt pinion on the starter, it ain't gonna mesh right.

That being said, I have seen too much initial timing also make a stovebolt kick back against the starter and throw out the engagement.

And. Your 6 volt starter would have lived a long and happy life cranking over that engine at 12 volts with no changes.

3. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, it's really hard to say without knowing what the starter rebuilder did to it.

you coulda just put a newer flywheel and starter on it...55-62 are 12v, but you need both the flywheel and starter as a set