Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cadillac FlatHead....what should I offer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41hemi, Oct 31, 2011.

1. 41hemi

41hemi

Locally I have found a 1948 Cadillac ambulance that has been sitting in a damp basement garage since the seventies. It is now outside under a tarp as of this summer(2011). I talked to the owner and he is willing to sell the engine/trans out of the car. Does not spin over. Looks to be all there. What should I offer him?

2. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

ask him what he wants first, you dont want to over bid and spend more than you have to or underbid and have him dig in his foot, have him throw out a offer chat for a few minutes than ask "I know that you want X what would you really take for it" most people answer a lower number and bid themselves down then offer something lower and let the negotiation begin and have cash in hand

3. 41hemi

41hemi

Thanks Johnny, that sounds like a good plan of action. I'll post after the owner and I talk.

4. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

What are you looking to put it in? Someone on here would probably be interested in the car with or without the motor too.

5. woodypecker

woodypecker

It's only money and its a really cool flathead.

6. I paid 50 bucks for a loose 347 with a hydro, and a locked up 322 with the manual trans. It just kinda depends on what you want to pay...

7. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i would love to have one!

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The real choice piece will be the 3 speed manual Cad/LaSalle transmission the hot rodder's choice in the fifties, and practically extinct since 1956. Not to mention the matching bellhousing, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and controls.