Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumb Hayseed from Nebraska builds a Model A Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ADV1, Oct 31, 2011.

1. ADV1

ADV1
    from Gretna, NE

I'm still very new to the board but I thought I'd share with you my new project.

A good friend of mine ( Dexleo2 on this board) found me a great deal on a pretty solid Model A Sedan Body...As you can tell it's a 30 or 31 but I have no way of knowing what it is for sure. We found it out in a farm in the middle of Nebraska waiting patiently for someone to come rescue it. I've been wanting to find one of these for a while and I think I scored pretty good on this one. I only gave $200 for it...

It has a few dents but nothing I can't take care of... Plans are for a nice chop & Channel and a Ladder bar suspension. I'd like to bag it if possible but I need to research that to see if it's possible. It's also going to get a nasty vintage style supercharged Big Block Chevy. When I'm done I want it to be a cross between a Hot Rod/Vintage Drag Car/Pro Mod. Basically, if they had todays Pro Mod/Pro Street in the 60's that's the look I'm going for but utlizing old skool drag parts. The car will be cruised and raced... I'd eventually like to take it to Drag Week as well so no trailer queen here!

Funds are going to be the key, I'm actually debating about selling one of my Camaros to fund this little endevor...

As you look at the pics you'll see that it's sitting wierd. What's left of the rear fenders is still attached to the car and it's making it sit cockeyed... I took the Fenders off this weekend and cleaned her up! I actually got a 5 gallon bucket of dirt out of the back! :lol:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

great score man. Wanna double your money lol. Looking foward to this one

3. ADV1

ADV1
    from Gretna, NE

Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it... Oh, and this is the first time I brought a car home that my wife gave me that "you must be nuts" look... To me that means I'm on the right track! :)

4. Solid looking start.
    You did excellent on the price.

5. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

good luck. Keep this project rolling. I still get that yu must be craizy look from my wife. And my coupe is running and driving

6. Looks like a pretty decent body. Did it come with doors? If you want to know if it is a '30 or '31 look inside behind the gas tank at the firewall. If it has 2 rectangular pieces of metal spot welded just opposite the radiator rod support brackets it is a '31. If not it is a "30. Ford added them in '31 to reinforce the firewall in that area.

7. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

so what are ya gonna run it at Kearney?Fremont?
    i say get a tetanus shot and get to work!:D

8. VonKool13

VonKool13

Yup you done good my friend. We've been working on my buddy Cooters' Flathead Powered 30' sedan and it's been a real blast. You will be having some good times with yours too!

9. Its a 30. Theres no recess for fuel pump on firewall. If it had one, then it would be a 31.

10. Lucky77

Lucky77

Nice score. Not sure if you know it or not, but 30-31 truck doors will fit as well. Coupe doors WILL NOT! Mine was missing the passenger door and I got one of a truck. Good luck.

11. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Sell that camaro and get to work,sounds like a plan!Good luck with the build,Rob

12. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

Gosh, that's a great find on a great body, fer sure. U dun gud! If that had been up here, that'd be nearly nothing left, returning to the elements from which it came. And sure can't beat that price. I'm watching tooooo. perley

13. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Welcome to the Model A Sedan club! Good score!

14. That is not true. Only late 31's had the indented firewall. Earlier ones didn't.

15. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Keep us posted!

16. outlaw256

outlaw256

well mr. hayseed outlaw steel is wrong. id give you triple your money back!!good score.ive been lookin for one also.but what i find they want a ton of money for a 1pound car.lol

17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

As tall as you are, think twice about channeling it. Chopping it yes, but not to wild or you just wont fit in it and youll hate driving it.

18. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

Check out the pictures of the 29 A built by fellow HAMBer Glen. First car I thought of when reading your build description.

http://www.hotrodsbyglen.net/

19. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Hayseed, maybe. Dumb,uuuhhhhh,NOPE!
    Good score. Lotsa gold in them hills. Car gold, son.

20. ADV1

ADV1
    from Gretna, NE

Wow! It's as if 90% of my vision for this thing is right there! Sooooooo beautiful! If mine turns out half that nice ill consider it a success! I gotta meet this guy and see this thing in person!

Thanks for posting the link! Amazing!

21. Thanks for the correction. (my info came from Fordbarn.) It would be easier if they only changed stuff yearly, and not halfway through the year.

22. ADV1

ADV1
    from Gretna, NE

That's good to know! I was looking at a pair of coupe doors... I wonder why the difference?

23. dexleo2

dexleo2

I was wondering if you would post this. How's it coming?

24. ADV1

ADV1
    from Gretna, NE

Sadly, its in the same spot as when you saw it last.... :(

We still planning on working on yours next weekend?