Register now to get rid of these ads!

Midwest eateries and other site seeing adventures.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bryceaugustine, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Ok so i have seen smaller posts on simlar topics but i have not seen 1 post with alot of info. I searched. if someone know what the post is please let me know. anyways:

I thought it would be good to put together some information on some great food, drink or anything else really cool to see throughout the midwest. Cuase we all love to just get in go and eat, drink, and play.

If you are in western Kansas there are a number of small town resturants that are great to eat at.

Philipsburg Ks hosts two of them. The Cubby Pickle and the Triple C cafe.

Oakly Ks has Mittens truck stop and the Dairy King

Hays ks : Gellas brewary. - food, beer...a little outside of the norm but good. Vernies hambuger house, jds chicken, the golden Q or the Q among a handful of mexican and chinnese food resutrants.

Easter Ks:

Gardner ks, Blazers hambers, La Caretta

i know im missing some i will try and remember to post more later.

2. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

This is a neat idea. my wife loves the tv show "diners,drive-ins and dives" (on food network) She mentioned that this would be a good excuse to drive the rod to someplace that she would enjoy, and would make for a fun day trip with just the two of us.

3. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Don't forget Professors' Steakhouse and Saloon in Hays Ks.

4. now i feel stupid for not puttin that on there. good catch.

5. BCR

BCR

The manager is a smokin hottie, but her husband.....:rolleyes:

6. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Not in Kansas, but a neighbor. In Ogallala, there is Hoke's. One mile north of the Ogallala exit on I-80. Just a few miles from NE Colorado. A throw back to a better time. REAL hot rodders, Riley and his lovely wife, offer the atmosphere of a true hot rod hang out. Food is great, immaculate surroundings, very reasonable prices. The decor is defintely from the era. And traditional hot rod and custom drivers (and riders) are made to feel very welcome. One great stop on I-80. Well worth it.

7. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Ya might try BCR in Ellis...I hear they have pie!:p

8. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

i travel with a book called "eat your way across the usa" tons of good suggestions there.

the two midwest stops I can think off right off are Maidright in downtown Marshalltown, Iowa and Lamberts in Sykeston, MO. the latter being one of my favorite stops between memphis and st. louis.

9. BCR

BCR

Yea but everyone who samples the sausage raves about it!!:D

10. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Grinders- Kansas City, Mo
    Town Topic burgers- Kansas City, Mo
    The Jazz on 39th St- Kansas City, Mo
    Hays Diner- North Kansas City, Mo

11. BCR

BCR

This thread is doomed, off topic, ...

Here I am driving my hot rod to eat...

[​IMG]

Following my friend who is also going to eat....
    [​IMG]

and another friend of mine along for the ride....
    [​IMG]

12. we shall see. these are adventure we are taking in our hotrods to get to the places...

13. Is Kansas the only midwest? ;)

Brookfield MO (hwy 36 between Cameron and Hannibal) the Cattleman's Steakhouse. Lots to see up that way if you look around a bit and lots of pretty good roads to cruise.

Raytown has a little place if you like real mexican food (they do have some tex mex for the unadventurous :D) El Maguey (sp?). Most of the waiters even speak English. ;)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  14. BCR

BCR

I have been here long enough to know just the title will get it booted without some hot rod content.

Just tryin to help but I will mind my own!:D

15. adamshumard

adamshumard

Four Winds Bar and Grill - Garden City, Ks
    El Camino Mexican Resturant - Garden City, Ks
    Cattlemans Cafe - Liberal, Ks
    Liberal also has an Air Museum That was cool when I was there years ago.

16. OK then any of the places I have mentioned don't care if you are driving a late model or an old car. pack up the babies and grab the ol' ladies and everyone goes. ;)

Hey I have been to the cattlemans in Liberal, good eats.

17. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

If you're in M'town you gotta go to Zeno's pizza or head over to Montour IA to Rubes stakehouse.

I also like a little dive in Waylon MO called Reeds. There's this drunk there every now and then that you have to ignore, but other than that it's decent. If you're in that area you should also check out Amigo's mexican in Fort Madison Iowa.

18. OK fellas it looks like my bat trip to Dayton is on again, good food between here and there would be much appreciated. Probably gonna be a mostly Micky Ds trip but one good meal on the way would be excellent.

19. Hi-Flying

Hi-Flying

We have a MAID RITE in Rolla MO,it's been a favorite of locals for ever.
    It's located on Kings Hiway which once was route 66.

20. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Going to throw my second vote in for Riley at Hokes cafe in Ogalalla. Great food, great guy, totally decorated for hot rodders. Riley and Patsy are like family to me.
    I think they still do an NSRA member discount too...

21. BCR. i appreciate the thoughts. Was hoping that the mention of ridding in hot rods will keep it going. i am stero typing here but we all like hot rods, we all food, and we all like beer. it seemed like a good thread to start.

can i edit the title?

22. adamshumard

adamshumard

Is there any thing more traditional than eating................. honestly?????

23. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

A few more while in Nebrasaka, Ole's in Paxton has some great eats, stop at the one IN paxton, not the interestate exit and see all sorts of mounted game animals from all over the world. In Kearney, if it's still open Bicos has a lot of history, was a big time truck stop back in the day before I-80 came through. Last I'd been there they had really renovated the place up nice, seating was in old service bays, had the pits in the floor all ready to do work, but covered by some thick ass plexi, trippy to sit and eat dinner over top of a service pit.
    Use to be the Coney Island giant hotdog just outside of evergreen CO, it got sold and moved, rumor is its just a few miles down the road, but I've never made it out to check.

24. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

If you ever get to the Black hills S.Dak. you have to go to Lewies just out side Lead. awsume burgers and decor, set up with a bunch of old mining equipment.(lead is a mining town).

25. I can guarantee you that Rolla's Maid-Rite is nothing like the one in Marshalltown, which has been around since '28 and is still owned by the family that opened it. It's one of a very few (maybe the only) that are still true to the original. If you think one of the newer franchises is good, go try an original. ;)

Heck, it took 70+ years before Taylor's added ketchup to the list of condiments!

26. I'd have to recomend Reeds in WAYLON MO. also. You would never think a resturant of that caliber would be in a town of 450 people. When you leave Reeds, head tward Kahoka, look on the left, and see a junk yard time forgot.

27. fibertech

fibertech
    BANNED

Catfish Cabin in Memphis, TN

KC Masterpiece in Kansas City, KS

Fat Eddies in Alton, IL

in Springfield, IL.... Cozy Dog, Charlie Parker's, Maid Rite (The Original)

28. ownster

ownster

Not only is that a great idea. Check out the site below (you'll need to zoom in once it loads), it lists all of the greasy spoons Guy has been to.

http://www.flavortownusa.com/

29. sunbeam

sunbeam

Roy's Barbecue Hutchinson Ks Only open at noon.

30. If you are in Springfield, MO, check out Caspers. They have been in business for almost a hundred years. Greasy burgers and chili are their specialties. It's a quonsit(sp?) building on Walnut street, downtown Springfield.
    Later,
    Dick