Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 Buick Super

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigalturk1, Oct 31, 2011.

1. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

My dad had a 54' Super (2 Door) when we were kids. Yesterday, I noticed a 54' or 55' Special (Restored) on the next street. It seems odd that throughout the years I have seen many 54' & 55' Specials, but I have Never seen another 1954 Buick "Super" 2 door HT.... Why?

2. We were in the midst of a mild recession in that time period. The Super cost more.

Hey I got a question for you. is that a 45 magnum in your avitar, a 45 bottom with Sporster tops? I can't really get a good look at it. looks like an old photo from easy riders magazine.

3. bump
    I could be way off base here someone else got some input or opinion?

4. john walker

john walker

they were all crushed cuz all anyone cared about were fords and chevys.

5. I have a 56 buick special and you do not see them like fords or chevys...but you are right not many supers , roadmasters, etc...just the cheap specials like mine! Go figure.

6. lakester47

lakester47

I have a '54 Super 2dr HT. I have seen several in the modern day Mexican Road Race. On the other hand, I rarely see a '54 Buick of any kind.

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

you just aren't looking in the right places

8. MrEarl

MrEarl

Actually your dad had the most popular Buick produced in '54. There were 73,531 of them made. Next in line of the two doors was the 2 door Special at 71,186, the 2 door Century at 45,710 and the 2 door Roadmaster at 20,404. Truly the most Beautiful Buy for 1954. The Century running the Roadmaster engine in the smaller body was considered the bankers hot rod of that year. Find one of those with a 3 speed and you sho nuff got you a factory hot rod. Got any pictures of your dads car, would love to see it.

9. I have both the post car and the hardtop. Didn't all 54's have the 264? First year that they went to the nailhead and went away from the straight 8

10. azsnow

azsnow

Looks like an early shovelhead to me.

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Not really, the fords and chevys were cheap compared to the Buick, look at the customs of the era, they all wanted to be Buicks.

I can see what you're saying looks like it could be a generator case. Pan bottom and shovel top was the hot tip for a bit.

12. hottrodd1

hottrodd1

No, the first year for the nailhead was 1953 and was 322 c.i.
    My first car was a 1953 Buick Super tudor hardtop. With the 322 and dynoflow.
    I also had a 1953 Buick Special fordor post that had the straight 8 engine.

Hope this helps,
    Jerry

13. Adrian Rollini

Adrian Rollini

I like the old Buicks and Oldsmobiles as well, but its hard to find parts for them and a pain to repair stuff. Lots of people got rid of them and bought Fords and Chevys. I had to make the switch with my 56 Oldsmobile. Its easy to find Ford and Chevy parts vs Oldsmobile and Buick parts. I do wish there where more one the road real beautiful cars.