Register now to get rid of these ads!

Porter mufflers ? Hi-way drone ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Like the title says, do Porter mufflers give a hiway drone ?

My 36 will be fitted with a 350- 290 HP and Turbo 400. 8" rear on the TCI chassis with 2.90 gears.

Exhaust will be headers with full exhaust out to the rear, likely 2 1/4" diameter.

I know they sound good idling and driving around town but...

Just wondering what it would be like at hi-way cruising speed.

Would hate to have a drone that would hurt the ol' head :)

2. insulate the floor you'll be fine with exaust out the back ...
    loud pipes save lives

3. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Isn't a larger pipe diameter conducive to drone.

4. ssimpala

ssimpala

An H or X pipe will help...also, don't turn down the end of the tailpipe too much. I don't know why this makes a difference but it does.

5. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

They sound awesome on the highway and no complaints about a drone. There has been a lot of chatter here on the HAMB. If you search Porter Mufflers or just the word Porter, you can hear what Porter Owners have to say about them. Also, hear them on YouTube, under Porter Mufflers.

6. If the tail pipes are aimed downward they can set up a resonant frequency at certain speeds due to the exhaust pulses hitting the ground and rebounding and hitting the floor or running board. I had a friend who had a 55 Chevy with pipes that turned down just past the rear axle of the car.At around 60 mph it set up a vibration in the car through the floor that was unbearable.Bending the pipes slightly outward and up cured the problem.

7. Insulate, insulate insulate.

8. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Nope. I have a set of Porters on my truck, which sports a 290hp Chevy 350, 2.73 gears, manual 3-speed trans. Exhaust exists to the side ahead of my rear wheels. No drone, just pure hot rod tone. I have no radio either, just the sweet tone of Porter goodness. :)

9. 38jon

38jon
    from York,PA

No drone, I have them on my T roadster, y-block ,mild cam, 3x2's 2" exhaust out the back. Trust me you'll love the sound.

10. bobscogin

bobscogin

Drone is caused by resonance within the system which causes sympathetic vibration underneath the car / in the interior. Exit location, pipe length and diameter, method of attachment to frame, do much more to contribute to drone than muffler type.

Bob

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks for the replies. I will be soon ordering 4 porters (two for the 36 and 2 for the T roadster.

Any discount for multiple orders ? Can I order directly from Porter and pay with Paypal ? Shipping to Canada any problem ?

So many questions :D

12. OK shorts story ! True it happened today . had to run to parts store for seal sealer and something else i had to get and my shop pal say lay on it . for 2 miles i stomped on it . loud as hell I then get to top of hill and I had that feeling ... a cop is gonna be on the other side of this hill . sure as shit there was I take my foot of gas half way and just drove by . The look on his face was " where the fuc@ was that noise comming from ." Their mufflers are fing amazing . I don't work for them. but i do stand by this brand of muffler . IT have 3 tones maybe more . you can coast nice quite tone , step on it and it goes deep and loud . step into it hard and make sure theres no cops around , . Great sound , and good quality . I shit you not One of these mufflers weighs like 4 cherry bomb things do .

13. Tony

Tony

Seeing this thread was started, i have a question too...:)
    I'll be building my 32 soon and considering the Porters as well.
    It'll have a stout 327 in it with pretty good compression, and my one and only concern is rap, or crackle sound under harder acceleration, or when down shifting normally heard with glass packs.
    Although it can be cool, i don't want it.......and i know pipe dia and tail pipes will effect this. It'll have 2.5" pipes that will exit straight out the back under the tail pan.

Any of you fella's comment on this? Do thay have that same rap/crackle sound in those conditions?
    I have a friend with them on his car,and he loves em but he's running a stock 6..and lives about 12 hours away so i can't hear it in person.

I know, it may sound like a dumb question, but i'd rather know now.
    Thanks.

Tony

14. tony your right pipe size does factor in . Im running a 6 dual carbs , headers and dual pipes with a h pipe . H pipe due to the fact i have to drive thro alot of snobby towns. I get almost not crackle but just good tones . I had ccrackle but it was cuz i had an exh leak at header .

15. Tony

Tony

Thanks Jake. Thats good to know and i appreciate the input.
    Anyone running a hopped up V8 with 'em wanna chime in too?

Blue One, i hope you don't mind i added my question to your thread. If so, i'll shut up and start my own. :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No problem :D

It's all good.

17. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

We do offer a 10% discount if you are a HAMB Alliance member. Shipping to Canada is no problem! Our mufflers aren't usually associated with Rappy sounds, more deep mellow rumbles. Every vehicle and installation is different, so each one can sound a little different. We have a variety of videos on YouTube, under Porter Mufflers.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/portermufflers

Keep on Rumblin!

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

not sure if its been said, but the drone wont be a function of the muffler alone , but the entire exhaust system..in other words the muffler isnt the only the culprit of this problem

19. I am thinking of running single exhaust on a project I am into. I am looking at 3 inch pipe from the "y" back. It will exit behind the rear wheel. The engine is a ZZ4 with a B&M blower. Anybody run a single Porter?? Suggestions??

20. Koops

Koops

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can tune your exhaust note (audibule sound) by shortening (easiest - trim off in 1/8" lengths), or lengthening (weld on extenstions, or add a sleeved tail pipe) your actual pipes. If you consider sound travels in a wave and along that wave the sound changes, when exiting the pipe the sound wave is at a certain point volume/tone wise. Change that location, change that volume/tone.

Diameter of pipe does come into play, larger bore tends to equate to louder tones. Important back pressure should be maintained too. Very short headers/zoomies ain't particularly good for most engines, performance wise. Mufflers also play their part as you'll know by swapping brand, types and bore sizes. A balance pipe, an a-joining pipe between two individual pipes, when running 'duels', affects back pressure and exhaust tones depending upon where it is situated long the system.

'Lakes' pipes/plugs tend to give a very different tone/volume because often they're larger in diameter than your tailpipe, allow the exhaust gases to by-pass any mufflers and are simply at a different location along your exhust system.

Youy'll also be aware that tail pipes that exit close to, or pointing towards the ground, particularly hard ground, will have a differing tone/volume than pipes that exit upwards or away from the vehicle. An the ambient environment, your actual location will affect what you hear, alleyways and under bridges being good examples of places where 'distinct' loud tones can be appriciated!

Yeah, and choice of engine 4/6/8 cylinders, blower, no. of carbs., air filters, blah, blah, blah, all affect what yuo'll hear and when.

Have fun.

I love the 'vintage' sound of Porters. My choice.

21. Muttley

Muttley

Is anyone running a pair on stock/mildly modified SBF equipped car? I'd like to hear/see a video.