Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there an easy way to remove galvanizing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugman, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Bugman

Bugman

Like from pipe? I'm making an intake, and the only pipe I had avalible is galvanized. Is there an wasy way to remove it from the inside of the pipe? Will it hurt anything if I leave it on? If I put it by my gas welding vents, can I just burn it off? Thanks for the tips.

-Bugman Jeff

2. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

you might be able to burn it off, but be sure not to inhale it. I wouldn't use galvanized pipe though...the whole reason that make "black" pipe for gas appliances is because the galvanized coating flakes off and clogs them up...so its probably not good for your motor either.

3. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

i would really wait till i found a different pipe...i tried to use some galvanized stuff before and had no luck... [​IMG]

4. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

dude stop being a tight ass and buy some aluminum... I spent a whole 60 buxx on all that pipe/plate/ etc that i brought home! [​IMG] enough for 2 intakes

is it just tech ed teachers that do this? my moms b/f was a tech ed teacher and used to do the same shit... spend $30 on a chemical to take off galvanizeing when you can spend the $30 on the right pipe...

what are you making a intake for anyways??
    tuck

5. Don't burn it !
    Muriatic Acid will take care of it.
    Don't breathe the fumes,not good for you but not as bad as Galvanizing..
    Make sure you do the inside of the tubes too.
    Rinse with baking Soda and water.

bct likes this.
  6. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

muratic acid will also take off chrome... it'll drift thru the air and make everything in your garage rust... shits nasty... NASSSS TAY~ bugman... go buy some steel [​IMG]

7. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

soak it in vinegar

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Whatever you do, don't burn it in any fashion and be anywhere near where you can inhale it. It IS toxic and will screw your lungs up.

When I was younger (not much) and dumber (again, not much - in fact, very little), I welded my phosphoric acid coated frame - complete box job on my '46 Chev Truck, C-notch, MII X-member - lots of welding. For the next 6 mo, I was hacking up a lung - stupid. The more stupid part, was I knew better (or should have).

Don't risk it - get black pipe or farm it out....

[​IMG]

9. [ QUOTE ]

is it just tech ed teachers that do this? my moms b/f was a tech ed teacher and used to do the same shit... spend $30 on a chemical to take off galvanizeing when you can spend the $30 on the right pipe...

tuck

[/ QUOTE ]

NO! if I can't get the right stuff, I find another project!

10. Any acid will remove the galvanizing. Galvanizing is zinc. Doesn't matter if it's hot dip, electroplated or galvanneal. Just like mentioned previously, get some cheap swimming pool acid, called muriatic, which is just diluted hydrochloric acid. You can mix it about 50/50 and then put the pipe in the solution. Wait until it stops bubbling, then rinse it well. You can visually tell when the galvanizing is removed. A baking soda wash ais a good idea to make sure you have all the residual acid cleaned off.

11. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

add water to acid, right, doing it the other way explodes, right?

I can never remember... my chemistry classes were information overload...

12. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

A lot of the extra sheetmetal at our shop is galvanized, I usually just wire wheel it off on the bench grinder and use it to practice welding. If you do get sick from welding with it, drink a glass of milk, it's supposed to dulute the poison or something to that effect.

13. Mel

Mel

Add acid to water, just like you ought-er... or so I was taught in chemistry.

~Melissa

14. Bugman

Bugman

This just in...Muriatic acid does wonders, and it was free from the custodial department. Eats off the zinc, but not the steel(unless you leave it in to long). Watch out for fumes. I was under an exhaust hood. It does leave a clearish film on the metal that needs to be washed off, I'm not sure what it is. Remember all your acid safety gear.

I left my stuff in for about 30 minutes. That seemd to be a good time for for my dilution ratio. I kinda guessed 2/3 water to 1/3 acid. Add acid to water always. Have a nice day [​IMG]

-Bugman Jeff

15. mr.midnite

mr.midnite

muriatic acid will take off galvanizing but the gases that are produced are toxic. I would suggest finding an alternative method

16. Man I thought I was tight [​IMG]

Avoid using acid to strip it like the plague. It'll not only screw the pipe up but everything else that the fumes come in contact with. IE your lungs, skin, the paint on literally everything in the shop, etc.

Best bet as has already been suggested is wait 'til you can get the good stuff. Trust me you deserve the best, even if you didn't your ride does. [​IMG]

17. crazywoj

crazywoj
    from ny

yes there is a way,.. i needed a better elbow on my wood stove because the black pipe elbow i had was damaged and leaking. all i had was a galvanized elbow and i searched on the internet for a way to remove the coating. i found this site and peepz were sayin use moronic acid er yeah. but i had none,
    soo i threw the pipe in my wood stove!!, it was probably about 350degrees, then i dropped it in the huge pot of water i had on the stove for extra moisture, and with a puff of steam (and a lil zinc i bet) the galvanization was removed i could see the flakes of zinc in the water.:cool:

18. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i was building some catch trays for a diesel generator for an emergency and all that was around at 0300 was a couple of sheets of galvanized 14 gauge...i tried everything to get that stuff off, looks kinda purty when the sulfur starts to warm up and burn off :eek:, gets all yellow and golden (i had ventiallation fans going and all the doors open)...finally i just rivited it and soldered the joints to get it to seal.

long story short get the right pipe...

19. KIRK!

KIRK!

There are only two ways...muratic acid or a grinder. Either way wear a respirator and drink milk afterwards. It's VERY WICKED stuff. DO NOT weld without removing it!!!!!!

20. VonDad

VonDad

If you don't want to use chemicals, find somebody that has a sand blaster and blast it off. Used to work when I worked in that field in the 80's.

And you don't have to breathe the stuff either.

Weldin it will give you the mother of all headaches too.

Be careful and best of luck..

VonDad

21. TINGLER

TINGLER

Hey man, if you haven't gotten that intake done after 2 years..... :D

Check the date on this one fellas. 2003.

So Bugman, what DID you end up doing? :D

22. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Vinegar will work. Wheel cleaner will also work it has to be an etching cleaner for cast aluminum wheels. Eagle One Etching Mag Cleaner works good. It has a mild acid in it. Both are safer than muratic, make sure you clean it good after you remove the coating it will rust instantly.

23. Nominal

Nominal

It can even kill you. See here for a no-BS case study

http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor/safety3/index.htm

I've got a jug of muriatic acid out in a back shed that I use now!

Nominal.

24. Are you referring to THAT kind of acid???

Attached Files:

25. Bugman

Bugman

Holy back from the dead Batman! I was using the pipe for a supersecret(tm)crossram intake on my 392 Hemi. I had it all mocked up and it looked badass. It was ready for final welding when I hit a snag. With the pipes where I wanted them, I couldnt fit my distributer in. So, I had to find a way to curve all 8 pipes enough to clear the distributer. Since they were already cut, they were to short to fit in the bender. One thing led to another, and the whole Hemi project got sidelined, and that's where i'm at with that. I'll see if I can dig up a pic of the mockup.

26. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

Muriatic acid, vinegar, sodium hydroxide, sulphuric acid, nitric acid. ammonia.
    Almost any acid or alkali will remove zinc.
    Always releases a fume.
    Fume can be deadly if inhaled.
    Do not weld galvanised (even after it's stripped) with out plenty of fresh air flow and a respirator.
    Always add acid to water.
    Always neutralise acids before you dispose of them.

27. craftscustoms

craftscustoms

Thanks Nominal for that link to the article. It scared the shit out of me. Especially since I welded up a stand made out of conduit for a customer a month ago. No ill effects, but it will be the last time. Its a wonder any of us are still alive with all bad shit that happens working with the stuff we do.

28. Frank

Frank

I just got some galvanized metal formed exactly how I need it and wanted to remove the coating. This link was a real eye-opener. I knew better than to burn or weld zinc, but I didn't know how serious the consequences are. I think I will go the route of using acid, but outdoors and probably in the middle of a large open area far away and upwind from anything I care about. Bumping to the top. Good safety reminder.

29. jaybee

jaybee

I've tried to grind or sand the galvanize from old pipe so it can be welded and just haven't had a lot of luck. Maybe it makes a difference that the only welder I have is a gas welder. All at once my puddle will just part like the two sides are being pushed apart magnetically. Milk is just an old welder's tale, people get killed thinking that works. Nothing is a quick cure for heavy metal poisoning. Never tried acid but again you're looking potentially nasty fumes. Eventually I just gave up and decided it's better to get the right stuff in the beginning.

30. Muratic acid fumes will make your dog throw up. Trust me on this. I use in my pool a lot and once my dog got a big whiff of it and promptly threw up in the freaking pool......Shit....I hate it when that happens