Register now to get rid of these ads!

When was the first Chevrolet V8 made?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Youngin', Jun 7, 2005.

1. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Are you sure of that? :)

2. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Around 1915 or 16, if'n I remember correctly.

3. TERPU

TERPU

1917 then not again until 1954 to be put into the Jive five and the rest is history. Check out the book about Ed Cole it's got all kinds of cool stuff in it. One cool thing is that Ed Cole's 54 Chevy hardtop had the very first one in it.

TERPU

4. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

hell i thought it was 55/ 56.

5. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

i know you could get one as an option on a 55 vette

6. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Crap, you guys are fast! My grandpa loves to get "Chevy guys" with that one....

they'll just argue and argue....that's the kind of stuff that's fun at car shows and cruise ins....

He says he actually saw one in a barn when he was a young boy and that later he read it in a book........

Here's a link.....to verify it

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/chevy_small_block_v8.htm

Stogy likes this.
  7. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

i am only 20 so i shouldnt even know but i was always listenin when they would argue.

8. The first V8 that just so happes to have been an over head valve was offered buy Chevrolet in thier 1916 touring car and discontinued in 1918 for the grand sume of $1300.00

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

as a side note the chevrolet brothers actualy made flathead ford four cylinder head conversions and speed parts , called frontys? and ater after having there own name tradmarked by some one else released stuff under the name of the town they were from before they imigrated to america

10. CruZer

CruZer

Fronty as in Frontenac,France.
    That 1917 V8 didn't even have valve covers !!!!!! Must have been a noisy fxxxer.

11. I thought it was 1978. That's as far as the AutoZone computers go back, and computers are smart as we all know, so nothing could be much older.

An interesting side note: Color was not available back then. Everything was in black and white until about 1976.

You learn something new every day, don't you?

12. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Overhead valve V-8 in 1916/1917?
    That's pretty cool trivia, and a really advanced design.

13. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Since we're on the subject, what was Chevrolet's name before it was known as Chevrolet?

I haven't verified this one......but gramps claims this...

14. mtflat

mtflat

As with other early V8's I believe that block was made in pieces and bolted together. Correct me if I'm wrong - this is also part of the interesting trivia. Troubled with expense, leaks and weight problems it was dropped after a quick try-out period. It was one of those curiosities that pushed the edge of possibility divided the automotive camps. Some were sure it could never be practical - others kept dreaming.

It wasn't until '32 that a light weight, one-piece V8 casting made history.

15. Mutt

Mutt

It was always Chevrolet - if you're referring to the company.

Mutt

16. The Pioneer Auto Museum (SD) has one on display. I have a pic, but no scanner.

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It was always Chevrolet - if you're referring to the company.

Yeah, I think the company was created for a specific marketin plan, namely offering a slightly upscale competitor for the T--the V8 one obviously wasn't part of that plan, though. The main models of the time were four bangers in a chassis slightly longer than a T. "Chevrolet" had little connection with the Chevrolets, just a name chosen for marketing, as if someone brought out a "Petty" now.
    I've heard of that V8 model being referred to as a "Mason" design--no idea why.

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Aha--Mason was another company, absorbed into Chevrolet to produce engines. And Chevrolet did have a short run as an independent company before being folded in to Durant's grand plan. The "Little" auto company was also absorbed into Chevy.

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

speedy bills got a few in his colletion, as well as a frontenac car made by them. its a speedster looking thing

20. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Very good Mr. Lancaster. Little was Chevrolet before we know it as it is today.....

Dang, I thought I had em'!!! Lancaster, you stay out of this!!! :):)

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It's still silly that they were wasting all that steel on non-Fords back then.

22. Mutt

Mutt

Actually, Little Motor Car Company, Mason Motor Company, and Chevrolet Motor Car Company were interrelated ventures by William Durant, launched in 1911 at the same time.
    The Little Four and Six and Chevrolet's Six Type C Classic and Model H were popular, but it was the Chevrolet "490", with electric lights and self starter that got the attention of the public in 1915. The sales of the Chevrolet 490 caused Henry Ford to reduce the price of a model T to $440.00 because of the competition.
    Below is a picture of a 1912 Little Four (Roadster), and the 1912 Chevrolet Classic Six (Touring).

Mutt

23. alchemy

alchemy

They didn't waste steel, they were half wood.

24. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

A local collector has a 1918 touring with the V8. Cool looking motor, nicknamed "baby grand" because of the exposed valve train.

25. AND.....Did you know why they discontinued the V-8 in 1918?

They said it broke down and overheated frequently and got poor mileage......IMAGINE THAT?!:D

26. 1918 Chev V8
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oakland & Oldsmobile also had a V8s around 1918

27. Shakey Jakey

Shakey Jakey

I have heard it had but 2 main bearings. Think that crank may have flexed a bit?

28. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I bet it didn't flex much at all considering the compression ration and redline that thing probably had. :D

29. noboD

noboD

Anyone know where the bowtie came from? There's a bronze statue of Louis Chevrolet at the Indy museum. He raced there in the early days, died almost pennyless.