Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint Guys: Candy Apple BLACK over....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Ace, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

Aztec Gold Flake?
    Has anyone ever done this combination?
    This description is from 1966, so all I can do is ask how to approximate these colors with current brands of paint and makers...this would be for a bike.
    Thanks for your help.....

Johnny

2. djmartins

djmartins

Hi Johnny,

Do you have a lot of painting experience?
    Just asking because candy can be damn tricky to get looking good.
    Gotta put very consistent thickness coats on every surface, among other things.
    I don't think you'd have much problem getting the right colours, just ask for Aztec gold flake and candy apple black. A good paint supplier should be able to work with you to get it right.

It does sound like it would be a neat colour combo!
    What kind of paint do you want to use?
    Love to see it when it is done, though I bet the glory of it wouldn't come through well in a picture.

regards,
    Doug

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Candy black is a real funny thing. Never really black. Doesn't really look "right" to me. None of the major candy manufacturers made one, as far as I know. Sid Moses (Seelig Custom Paint) sells a transparent black that you could turn into a candy. I think the company that makes the "chrome" paint makes a candy black to make a "black chrome" as well (Alsa Corp.) The trouble with the paint is that is that it doesn't look black. It looks dark with 1 aor 2 coats, but then gets dark grey. The more you put on, the darker it gets, but you start to lose the metallic base. So it doesn't look like candy any more!
    If you want to experiment, you could probably get some transparent black tint from a body shop place that mixes the paint themselves. Experiment with it, in clear and see if you like it. Cheaper than buying the expensive, ready-to-shoot stuff.
    So candy black neither looks like black, nor candy! A quandry!

4. DrJ

DrJ

I know this isn't anything to do with candy black paint but it is to do with pigment and/or color dyes.
    When I was a kid building a plastic model of the "Flying Cloud" clipper ship and being the curious kid I was I was always trying to figure out how they sprued it up to mold it. (Probably why I ended up doing a stint as a mold maker and that's what my Wife does now..) I held up half of the molded in black plastic hull up to the window and the sun light lit it up as what it really was - It was a very dense royal purple.
    The kind of purple squid ink looks like.

Unless it has Carbon black in it, which would be as opaque as your Firestone tire treads, and not "candy," that candy "black" is most likely going to end up like the plastic dye, a very dark natural dye, like purple or blue.
    I'm not real sure how either would look over gold flake, unless it was gold plated actual metal metalflake which by the nature of the plating process is going to be 24K gold and ANY color looks good with pure gold! :D

5. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

Thanks everyone for the great responses....
    Doug:
    Compared to the real painters on this board, I paint like a monkey with the runs....I haven't a clue as to the nature of candy black,so every point made here will go in my file....your help is much appreciated!

ChopOlds:
    I'll absolutely take your advice and have a pro mix it up for me....this will be a learning experience all the way around....the black over chrome sounds good too....

DrJ:
    Those who master the art of moldmaking have my deepest respect....the points you brought up started me thinking on other possibilities- such as black grape over silver, or similar.....
    I wonder how a ghost grey would look over goldflake?
    Only one way to find out, I reckon.....

6. Johnny:Where di you get the original info ?
    Sometimes the magazines are not 100% accurate.

Any color Candy shifts towards Black if enough colors are applied,
    but it will be more noticable with darker colors.

Never heard of it,so I went looking for "Black Candy".

The House Of Kolor site had Sweet Fuck All for info,unless you want to buy a color card or t-shirt.Could not find what color Candy they had.

http://www.innate.com/home.htm has lots of cool stuff,no Black Candy.

DuPont Hot Hues has a "Charcoal Candy", no Black Candy.

FWIW

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Johnny, check with Sid Moses, if I remember right, he'll sell you a small quantity of candy black concentrate...like HOK's KK series. You can mix it with any type of automotive clear, in different 'strengths', for different purposes. More concentrate in the clear means faster coverage...fewer coats. For artwork/graphics, you can really make it strong..one coat strong. But for large areas, you need it to be "regular" candy strength, whatever that may be, to get even coverage in the amount of coats 'usually' put on in candy (3-8 coats, for instance). It's all a bit confusing, but the thing is to experiment with it. I don't particularly like it in a regular candy scenario...candy over gold, or silver flake. But in other situations, It may look good. I know the black over real or painted chrome looks OK, but again, not really black. Maybe the black candy over a dark grey metallic, or black metallic or pearl would give satisfactory results!
    Didn't want to discourage you! I love experimenting with custom paints to see what I can do. My experience with black just didn't turn out right for me.

8. djmartins

djmartins

Johhny,

No one was born knowing how to paint.
    Just try out some test pieces first until you get it right.
    Then shoot the bike and impress everyone! :D
    If you keep reaching for the sky, then spend the time and trouble actually doing it, you'll be there in no time.
    From reading other comments here I'd put a few coats of the black tint only until you got the effect you wanted, then clear the hell out of it to keep it looking good. Pay special attention to how you lay the flake, which may be hard to do on a bike tank.

Candy and pearl paint is meant to be a subtle effect.
    I remember this old show corvette done up in sections of various shades of pearl. Couldn't see it at all unless you got up close.
    It looked great at the shows, but probaly wasn't ever noticed on the street.
    If the guy ever drove it, which I doubt.

regards,
    Doug

PS - mold maker's are definately on a higher level....

9. jersey fink

jersey fink
    from jersey

the alsa black candy isnt really black,and HOK dosent make a black candy,,how about black base with flake over it?or HOK has some new basecoats with flake mixed in (125 QT) or once you shoot a black base any candy over that will pretty much be dark.

10. Spridle

Spridle

Ive use PPG's DBC 500 with some black toner added. Ask for blue black Itll give you a deeper effect. I've done this quite a few times for taillight/HL/signal tinting and also to help layer and shadow over airbrushed stuff. Take notes on how much of each you use, and watch your pressures.

11. The Harpoon

The Harpoon

I made my own "candy black" with candy rootbeer kk, black toner, cinnamon & gold pearl powder into clearcoat for this:

12. The Harpoon

The Harpoon

13. kustomclassics

kustomclassics

I use PPG's DBC 9700 mixed in a 25 - 50 % ratio with DBC 500. Makes a nice true black candy. I've used this over a black paint job to make one of the deepest blacks ever and used it on a rainbow flaked paintjob to make a pretty cool look.

Manuel

14. rebstew187

rebstew187

I've never heard or as far as I know have never seen it on anything.not sure but it sounds like that if you did make it .it would be to transparent to look black and if it was dark enough to be black you wouldn't see the flakes.if you want to try some colors to see if you like em pick the color you like reds blues?say you like the red tones.paint your tank black then coat of candy red second coat of candy red add a little metal flake not 2 much, 3rd coat a little more flake,4th coat a little more of the flake let it dry come back lay down some 3m taped flames shoot them with clear and a little blue pearl in it.let dry a bit pull off the tape, last coat of candy red without any flake then clear a few times.let dry color sand and buff.it would be a very dark redish blue-ish purple tone almost black.black at night but as you drive under the street light you will see how deep and rich it is and the flames will flicker on and off as you drive under the street lights.got myself all worked up now I got to go paint something!