View Full Version : Mighty Mo or Hot Shoppes photo?

J. Fitzhugh
06-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Does anyone have a photo that they can share, preferebly from the late fiftis or sixties, of any of the Mighty Mo or Hot Shoppes in and around Washington DC? These were early crusie locations. Thanks for any help.

fordstandard
06-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Charcoal Pit Restaurant on Rt 202 in Delaware -- has The Original Hot Fudge Ice Cream Cake !

Just like back in the late 50's when i went with my family to 69th Street Upper Darby,Pa Hot Shoppes !!

hotrod mike
06-15-2010, 07:28 AM
Does anyone have a photo that they can share, preferebly from the late fiftis or sixties, of any of the Mighty Mo or Hot Shoppes in and around Washington DC? These were early crusie locations. Thanks for any help.

Oh man, i loved Mighty Mo's and the french fries with gravy were great. I used to have a window tray from there. The Hot Shoppes in the Shirlington shopping center (Arlington, Va.) was the one I hung around. Sorry, no pictures.

lothiandon1940
06-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Charcoal Pit Restaurant on Rt 202 in Delaware -- has The Original Hot Fudge Ice Cream Cake !

Just like back in the late 50's when i went with my family to 69th Street Upper Darby,Pa Hot Shoppes !!Been looking for a comparable hot fudge ice cream cake ever since the Hot Shoppes all went away. We always hung out at the Capital Plaza Hot Shoppes (Landover Hills, Md.) with occasional cruises to the Mighty Mo in Queenstown (Hyattsville). Sorry, no pics, just lots of memories......What town on Rt 202 in Delaware is that....I'm gonna have to make that trip?:)....Thanks, Don.

hog mtn dave
06-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Oh man, i loved Mighty Mo's and the french fries with gravy were great. I used to have a window tray from there. The Hot Shoppes in the Shirlington shopping center (Arlington, Va.) was the one I hung around. Sorry, no pictures.

Awesome. I used to work at Shirlington Texaco. The closest I can come to a Hot Shoppes pic is this one from the 2nd annual car show at Rosenthal Chevrolet. At least it's in the DC area.

hotrod mike
06-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Awesome. I used to work at Shirlington Texaco. The closest I can come to a Hot Shoppes pic is this one from the 2nd annual car show at Rosenthal Chevrolet. At least it's in the DC area.

That's a very cool pic. Any idea who that is or info about the truck? Do you happen to remember a white primered '39 Ford cabriolet that used to run around there?

hog mtn dave
06-15-2010, 10:34 AM
That's a very cool pic. Any idea who that is or info about the truck? Do you happen to remember a white primered '39 Ford cabriolet that used to run around there?

I don't know anything about the pic. My brother found it on a site for folks that grew up in Arlington. I just thought is was cool.

My era was 70s. Can't help you with the '39 Ford. It was pretty much all musclecar stuff then.

Remember this place?

41hemi
06-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Hey Jay--- Tommy Mills used to go to Mighty Mo's back in the day. Maybe he'll see this thread and conjer(sp?) up some pics! BTW, got my radiator recored..... Al

tommy
06-15-2010, 10:53 AM
http://fototime.com/%7B35F29E95-6D8D-4805-A24E-0F1EC379D6E3%7D/origpict/mightymo2.jpg

Jay if you do find a picture of the Queenstown Mo please let me know. This was on top of the sign at the Queenstown Mo.

There were reunions for a few years by some of the original Mo rats. They even made teen twist's and the Orange freeze. I missed them all. I had been hearing about an art gallery that had pictures of the Mo so I went last year. He puts on a small car show every year.

They turned out to be artist conceptions of the Mo. Nothing that he had looked like the QT Mo. He had some paintings of the Hot Shoppes too. I was the only one there that actually was a QT Mo rat. There were some people there from the Wheaton Mo. I think it was the District Hight's Mo that had the most competition for the QT cars.

J. Fitzhugh
06-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Tommy,

I will let you know what I find.

Hog Mtn Dave

Very cool shot

41hemi

I bet it runs a little cooler now! I heard about the '55. Paybacks are a bitch!

hotrod mike
06-15-2010, 01:21 PM
I don't know anything about the pic. My brother found it on a site for folks that grew up in Arlington. I just thought is was cool.

My era was 70s. Can't help you with the '39 Ford. It was pretty much all musclecar stuff then.

Remember this place?

I remember that place very well. All the brothers from Green Valley came there for the half-smokes. Good grub and cheap too. I don't want to derail this thread too much but, we also had the Dixie Pig for great Bar-B-Q. Hell, we ate pretty good back then....:D

41hemi
06-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Hey Hotrod Mike---are you remembering the DixiePig off of Queenstown Rd. in Anne Arundel Co? That place had cardboard lined walls and a dirt floor...I'll never forget it... they had GREAT ribs!!!! If you wanted a drink they got it out of a cooler on the ground next to the cash register. The cooking was done in a pit outback that could be seen from the picnic tables in the dining room. The county finally shut them down I heard. What a great memory!

fordstandard
06-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Do search online --there are people keeping it going and have get togethers re; Hot Shoppes

Search-- it it's on there

hotrod mike
06-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Hey Hotrod Mike---are you remembering the DixiePig off of Queenstown Rd. in Anne Arundel Co? That place had cardboard lined walls and a dirt floor...I'll never forget it... they had GREAT ribs!!!! If you wanted a drink they got it out of a cooler on the ground next to the cash register. The cooking was done in a pit outback that could be seen from the picnic tables in the dining room. The county finally shut them down I heard. What a great memory!

Naw, the Dixie Pigs I was referring to were in Alexandria. They were actual restaurants with floors and jukeboxes :D

Pete1
06-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Mighty Mo

tommy
06-17-2010, 02:07 PM
One of my proudest achievements of my youth happened inside the Mo one night. All the hoodlums would take the pickle chip out of the Mo and sling it like a frisbee against the big glass windows. It would hit and slide up and stick to the glass. It was the special sauce that did it...1000 island dressing.:D

The really nice older eastern European waitress named Edith would get sooo upset. We teased her unmercifully but I think see kinda enjoyed the sparring. She was a waitress but always took on the responsibility to get a napkin and clean the windows when she spotted a pickle. She was good people.

I got a pickle to stick to the glass of a14" clock with a perfect shot one night. A once in a lifetime shot.

http://www.marlowheights60sand70s.com/assets/images/autogen/a_IMG_0798.jpg

lothiandon1940
06-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Makes my mouth water just looking at that luscious Mighty Mo,Tommy.......Don.:)

Ol Skool '51
06-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Just found this thread...lotsa memories coming back. We cruised Arlington in the early 60's I remember the Hot Shoppes in that area, but we mostly cruised Topps Drive in on Glebe Road and Lee Highway. I went to the Rosenthal Show every year, even had my '63 Chevy pinstriped at one of the shows.
I can't remember the name of the club that put on that show??
Hot Shoppes had the Mighty Mo and Topps had the Sirloiner. Great eatin'! with fries and an orange freeze:p.
I remember a local radio station use to broadcast there (at Topps) some nights and you could call in dedications, I think it was WEAM Radio then.
I was a member of the "DUSTERS" Car Club, had my '51 Ford Convertible then and drove my dads red '60 Chevy convertible later if I was lucky.
We use to drag on "H" road down by the Pentagon, the Federal Cops never bothered to chase us too often, we even had a 1/4 mile marker painted on the road.
Sorry to ramble...us old farts do that:rolleyes: Sorry no photos, but I think there is a book out on Arlington history that has some photos of the Shirlington Hot Shoppes.

hotrod mike
06-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Just found this thread...lotsa memories coming back. We cruised Arlington in the early 60's I remember the Hot Shoppes in that area, but we mostly cruised Topps Drive in on Glebe Road and Lee Highway. I went to the Rosenthal Show every year, even had my '63 Chevy pinstriped at one of the shows.
I can't remember the name of the club that put on that show??
Hot Shoppes had the Mighty Mo and Topps had the Sirloiner. Great eatin'! with fries and an orange freeze:p.
I remember a local radio station use to broadcast there (at Topps) some nights and you could call in dedications, I think it was WEAM Radio then.
I was a member of the "DUSTERS" Car Club, had my '51 Ford Convertible then and drove my dads red '60 Chevy convertible later if I was lucky.
We use to drag on "H" road down by the Pentagon, the Federal Cops never bothered to chase us too often, we even had a 1/4 mile marker painted on the road.
Sorry to ramble...us old farts do that:rolleyes: Sorry no photos, but I think there is a book out on Arlington history that has some photos of the Shirlington Hot Shoppes.
Oh yeah, Tops drive in. The Sir Loiner was awesome. A pal of mine ate 5 of those bad boys one night to settle a bet. I still have the salt and pepper shakers I swiped from there. :) Weam was the radio station with JA the DJ (Jack Alex). He passed some time ago. Or WDON if you could get a clear signal.
There are probably sites with pictures of the various restaurants in the DC, MD, and VA area from back then. Man, life was good back then. Young and dumb and, well, you know the rest. :D

hotrod mike
06-17-2010, 03:31 PM
One of my proudest achievements of my youth happened inside the Mo one night. All the hoodlums would take the pickle chip out of the Mo and sling it like a frisbee against the big glass windows. It would hit and slide up and stick to the glass. It was the special sauce that did it...1000 island dressing.:D

The really nice older eastern European waitress named Edith would get sooo upset. We teased her unmercifully but I think see kinda enjoyed the sparring. She was a waitress but always took on the responsibility to get a napkin and clean the windows when she spotted a pickle. She was good people.

I got a pickle to stick to the glass of a14" clock with a perfect shot one night. A once in a lifetime shot.

http://www.marlowheights60sand70s.com/assets/images/autogen/a_IMG_0798.jpg

HA ha ha We did the same thing at the one in Shirlington. Must have been a universal sport. We also had a guy that made an art form out of finding just the right table and Mooning it from outside. Everybody knew it was coming but it was hilarious every time. Guy was nuts...:D

STILL OLD
06-17-2010, 09:17 PM
I met My first wife at the Hot Shoppes in Alexandria Va. I wish more people knew Her, so they could hate Her too!!!

fordstandard
08-25-2010, 05:24 AM
Any pics of cars parked with tray hanging on door waiting for order to be delivered

lothiandon1940
08-25-2010, 06:31 AM
I met My first wife at the Hot Shoppes in Alexandria Va. I wish more people knew Her, so they could hate Her too!!!What's her name? Maybe we do know her:eek:

lothiandon1940
02-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Anybody else have any stories, memories, or pictures from when we all cruised the Hot Shoppes and Mighty Mo Drive-ins around the Washington D.C. area? This would have been from the late 50's through late 60's. Any stories of drag races in the area? It's okay, the statute of limitations has expired but feel free to leave out names if you fear the law might still be looking for you....Don.

Old Racer 35
02-15-2011, 09:06 AM
grew up in arlington went to wakefield had a lot of buddies over the years that have worked at shirlington texaco ,how about the broiler across from rosenthal good steak and cheese.went to jacks junkyard on 4 mile run drive ,and used j&m auto parts .
weenie beanie rt down the street.last hot shoppes i remember close was at baileys crossroads

Surfrider
02-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Used to go to the Mighty Mo in Queenstown in my 60 Corvair, hardly a hot rod but I bought it from Dick Burgess the nitro tuner for the Wheeler Dealer 1 and Nasty II. I worked for Dick and Bill Ford at Precision Engines, their first employee! But that's another story.

Girlfriend, Hot Fudge Ice Cream Cake from Hot Shoppes, then parking somewhere dark for a couple of hours...nice way to pass an evening.

www.highspeedmotorsports.com

hog mtn dave
02-15-2011, 10:41 AM
grew up in arlington went to wakefield had a lot of buddies over the years that have worked at shirlington texaco ,how about the broiler across from rosenthal good steak and cheese.went to jacks junkyard on 4 mile run drive ,and used j&m auto parts .
weenie beanie rt down the street.last hot shoppes i remember close was at baileys crossroads

Boy do I know those places. Lived on 18th St. Worked at Shirlington Texaco, went to Jacks and J&M. Prefered Pizza Pantry to the Broiler though. There was a Hot Shoppes on Columbia Pike, but it changed to a Big Boy by the time I was driving. We're about the same age. Must have some mutual friends.

tommy
02-15-2011, 11:15 AM
http://www.fototime.com/%7B104A506D-28DC-48BA-B30A-0474F22DA2A9%7D/origpict/mightymo.jpg

The New Hampshire Mo. It was on New Hampshire ave. Someone posted this picture since this post first started. We'd ride up here when the manager kicked us out for not buying enough food at the Queenstown Mo. Spend a 1/2 hour or so and then ride back to start the clock ticking again.:D Nowhere near the street racing reputation as the Queenstown Mo had. I'm still looking for a picture of the Queenstown Mo.

You don't want to get me started about the street racing that was generated at the Queenstown Mo.

Harpoon
02-19-2011, 06:19 PM
I grew up in Cheverly across the WW Bridge in PG County. We hung out at Hot Shoppes at Capital Plaza, off BW Parkway and Rt 450 in the early days . I am 52 now and I think it had stopped or wound down around 74 or so. They put an end to it.

Street racing at Ardmore Ardwick Industrial Park, Route 50 West bound, Z street in DC (early days) to name a few.

McDonalds in Lanham was later spot. Laurel, Bowie we went everywhere.

I was looking for some archive pictures today and found this thread. I am a HAMB member but not active so thought I would post this thread BELOW that has some pictures of some of the old establishments in the Metro area. It brought back some memories when seeing the signs and buildings.

No car pis though! I know some people must have a shoebox full...it would be nice to find some.

HARPOON

http://dcgrocery.multiply.com/photos/album/6/other_DC_retail_Capital_Centre

Clik
02-28-2011, 04:15 PM
http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq223/dinerman3/Trip%20Back%20To%20School/P1080541.jpg (http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/qq223/dinerman3/Trip%20Back%20To%20School/?action=view&current=P1080541.jpg)

I haven't found anywhere on-line where I can listen to this but thought it interesting.

I lived a few blocks from the Mighty Mo in Queenstown (Hyattsville,MD) but was really too young to hang at the Mo. I'd sneak down there to get a glimpse of the cars or get a burger once in a while but usually the Burger Chef around the corner was all my teen funds allowed.

Last time I was by there the lot was still vaccant.

peddlr
03-05-2011, 10:32 AM
I grew up in Cheverly across the WW Bridge in PG County. We hung out at Hot Shoppes at Capital Plaza, off BW Parkway and Rt 450 in the early days . I am 52 now and I think it had stopped or wound down around 74 or so. They put an end to it.

Street racing at Ardmore Ardwick Industrial Park, Route 50 West bound, Z street in DC (early days) to name a few.

McDonalds in Lanham was later spot. Laurel, Bowie we went everywhere.

I was looking for some archive pictures today and found this thread. I am a HAMB member but not active so thought I would post this thread BELOW that has some pictures of some of the old establishments in the Metro area. It brought back some memories when seeing the signs and buildings.

No car pis though! I know some people must have a shoebox full...it would be nice to find some.

HARPOON

http://dcgrocery.multiply.com/photos/album/6/other_DC_retail_Capital_Centre
Small world. I grew up in Tuxedo.We used to sit on the bridge over rt 50 and watch them race. I used to cruise the Hott Shoppes in Bladensberg. Graduated in 72. Then moved to Tx in 73.These threads sure bring back memories.

Clik
03-05-2011, 11:31 AM
I guess my main stomping grounds were Chillum-West Hyattsville. Riggs Road was our closets drag strip. My father-in-law owned Boxall's Amoco at Riggs and Chillum Rd.

The next closest road for a quick race was East West Hwy near PG Plaza.

Hanging at McDonald's in Adelphi often meant a quick blast down University Blvd.

Bigger races went to Rt 32.

That little service Rd off of Rt 50 always seemed like a dead end with no escape from cops.

I was supposed to graduate from Northwestern in 72 but dropped out in the third quarter of 12th over "reverse discrimination" issues.

See the other Mo thread for pics.

tommy
03-05-2011, 11:32 AM
My muffler shop was in Marlow Heights and I ate lunch at many of those restaurants.

Capitol plaza Hot Shoppes had a pretty good hotrod contingent out in the back in the 60s after they removed the teletrays. About 30 years ago we would meet in the Capitol Plaza parking lot out front on Wed nights and get 200 cars or so. They ran us off after the squirrells ruined it for us. We bounced around from shopping center to shopping center on Wed nights strictly by word of mouth. It was always cool for a while until the trash and the squirrells. Those damn BB Camaros!!;):D

http://multiply.com/mu/dcgrocerygary/image/1:dcgrocery/photos/6/500x500/18/redbarn.jpg?et=ZvCH78c8yFdXtHY8iAvBhQ&nmid=200015953

http://www.fototime.com/%7BC975FD7A-4233-4702-8092-1CD35373C6B1%7D/origpict/willysfrnt.jpg

This was where we used to meet on Sunday mornings across from the old Red Barn building in Burtonsville. Now we meet across the street at the Burger King. Anyplace where they have a big parking lot and food.:D

peddlr
03-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Hanging at McDonald's in Adelphi often meant a quick blast down University Blvd.

Used to work at Deluka's Exxon in Adelphi. around 69-70.

Clik
03-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Was that the one accross from Tick Tock where Larry had his trash trucks parked out back?

Clik
03-05-2011, 10:54 PM
I used to do a lot of work in SE Washington around Southern Avenue. The Red Barn on Saint Barnabus Road was the closest safe place to eat. I went there quite a bit. Of course if it was a car hang out I didn't know about it because I was always there in the day time.

--------------------------------------------------

My muffler shop was in Marlow Heights and I ate lunch at many of those restaurants.

Capitol plaza Hot Shoppes had a pretty good hotrod contingent out in the back in the 60s after they removed the teletrays. About 30 years ago we would meet in the Capitol Plaza parking lot out front on Wed nights and get 200 cars or so. They ran us off after the squirrells ruined it for us. We bounced around from shopping center to shopping center on Wed nights strictly by word of mouth. It was always cool for a while until the trash and the squirrells. Those damn BB Camaros!!;):D

http://multiply.com/mu/dcgrocerygary/image/1:dcgrocery/photos/6/500x500/18/redbarn.jpg?et=ZvCH78c8yFdXtHY8iAvBhQ&nmid=200015953

http://www.fototime.com/%7BC975FD7A-4233-4702-8092-1CD35373C6B1%7D/origpict/willysfrnt.jpg

This was where we used to meet on Sunday mornings across from the old Red Barn building in Burtonsville. Now we meet across the street at the Burger King. Anyplace where they have a big parking lot and food.:D

tommy
03-06-2011, 08:05 AM

Used to work at Deluka's Exxon in Adelphi. around 69-70.

That McDonalds was the first one in the area. A friend worked there in high school in 1962. No inside seating. It was remodeled several times over the years. IIRC hambergers were 15 cents cheese was 3 pennies more. Fries were 15 cents. Mighty Mos were a lot more. It was never a car place as I recall but it could have evolved. I don't think that the big corporation wanted to be associated with those damn hotrodders.:D

Clik
03-06-2011, 10:14 AM
It did "evolve". A lot of people talk about American Graffiti but if you ask me, I'd almost believe that who ever wrote the movie Hollywood Knights used to hang at that McDonald's.

There was alot of pranksterism. McDonald's hired security guards but they couldn't handle it. They upgraded to Wakenhut Security because they carried guns. But even they suffered pranksterism, to the point where they peeked around corners before walking around the building.

They didn't have jurisdiction over the parking lot next door and that's where everyone met and gathered. McDonald's lot wouldn't have been big enough anyway.

It was enough of a gathering spot to draw an occassional trailered car street race. But most of the fun was the clowning around that was so prevalent.

Al Swanson (who looked just like Joe Cocker) made a career out of scaring the crap out of the security guards. I remember him hiding inside a flip top trash can waiting for one of the guards to stick his fast food wrappers in, and when he did Al went off like a mad dog, ha! Ha! the guard about shit a brick!

Klink was a collector of all things Hemi powered but had a 53 Ford pick-up that he would lock the steering to one side, climb in the back of the truck and ride around the lot in circles, with nobody in the cab. It would eventually start working its way toward parked cars and put people into panic mode.

There were a bunch of girls that came around that were viewed as teases or just plain silly, and one guy who should go unamed (who knows, he may be a prominent citizen these days) used to make a hobby of grossing the girls out. One night he made a theatrical production out of working up a luggi and spitting it into a high arch. He promptly ran over and licked it off the parking lot.

Another time he made a production out of (pretending I hope) wiping his ass with a handful of McDonald napkins and then eating them. That sent the girls running and gagging once again.

The most inebriated driver of the bunch was Bruce Warring and his very fast 69 Dart GTS that was way more than he could handle. He rolled in, plastered, one night and was convinced to do a dare for chump change. Everyone reached in their pockets for chump change and paid Bruce to take this dead mouse in and say he found it on his burger. Someone picked it out of the gutter by the tail and set it on Bruces burger bun. Bruce was too plastered to notice the tail was the string to a discarded tampon. Girls were grossed once again and security threw him off the lot.

One family guy was appalled by our antics and made a disparinging comment. Joe Venuto was a bull at the time and uprooted a 15' tree from it's shallow planter. It had a very flat root base from the shallow parking lot planter which meant the tree would stand on its own. Mr Appalled came out of McDonald's to find a 15' tree sprouting from the roof of his car. Ha! Ha!

Don't mess with the Hot Rodders!

JT Apperson
03-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Anyone remember the Eastover Hot Shoppe at the DC and Md line Oxon Hill, Md. Lots of servicemen stationed at Bolling AFB hungout there. We would run down on 295 and go out to Wheeler rd. There used to be a car club named Box Busters in Oxon Hill. Serveral members worked at Aquasco Speedway. Remember any names from that area. Lots of 409's and 348 cars.

tommy
03-06-2011, 02:13 PM
I remember the place but I never went over there with cars on my mind. I drove past it many times.

The District Heights Mo had a bigger rep for hot cars from S.E.. They were the ones that would come to the Queenstown Mo looking for a race. The altered wheelbase 56 Chevy came from that MM. Bob Bernarden and Gene Altizer were from that area but I have no idea if they were Mo Rats. I bet they knew about the place though.

Deserved or not the Dist Hts Mo was supposedly a dangerous place. We only went over there a few times and never gave anybody any lip.:D

fordstandard
03-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Here is the Hot fudge Cake from Hot Shoppes as well ---YUMMY

lothiandon1940
03-07-2011, 06:05 AM
Those Hot Fudge cakes were so good, so decadent. If you sat and ate the entire thing, it was so rich it would almost make you sick. I miss those things!

Clik
03-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Here's some Mo chatter for you old Mo Rats including "Bad Day at the Mo".

Link courtesy of Lisa the Librarian:

http://www.facebook.com/board.php?uid=65343806788

If it leads to anything interesting be sure to share it with us HAMBers.

tommy
03-29-2011, 12:22 PM
I don't remember that. The District Hts Mo had a bad reputation whether it was warranted or not. Queenstown and Hew Hampshire ave had no bad rep. AFAIK

I do remember standing around outside BSin' when a couple of guys rode through in some 4dr POS and a guy waved a gun at us as they went through. No shots were fired but it did scare the shit out of us.(me anyway!) Someone called the cops and we were talking with the officer making the report when the car came back in. We all hollered.. "there they are" and the cop chased the car and pulled it over near the Giant food store.

We all ran across the bridge to gawk. The cop must have found the pistol because he handcuffed one of them with his hands in front of him and put him in the back seat. The idiot in the back seat started to hit the cop over the head with his cuffed fists. The cop car was surrounded with Mo rats by then not causing any trouble but there were a lot of us all very brave since the guy was in custody. I'm sure the cop was scared of a riot.

The cop picked up the microphone and said "code 13 code 13 officer in trouble." We all scattered like cockroaches. I went up to the Shell station up the street to watch the action from afar... I've never seen so many police officers in my life!!! PG County, Hyattsville, and every little city cop on duty in the local area. It was amazing how many policemen responded to the code. There had to be 30 cop cars show up from everywhere.

Needless to say the BSin' was over for that night.

I don't remember if it was a result of this incident but they did hire a PG county cop for security for a while. He was a nice guy that got to know the regulars. We never really had any trouble before or after.

Clik
03-29-2011, 10:18 PM
I seem to remember the older folks in those days portraying anyone with a hot rod or custom as a hoodlum. Some "adults" wouldn't go to the Mo on weekends because of fear of trouble however unwarranted.

I do seem to remember hearing tell of a hassle (at the Queenstown Mo) between the Pagans and the Phantoms, the later of which started as a car club. I was pretty young at the time and don't know any more than that, or even if it was true.

lothiandon1940
03-30-2011, 04:56 AM
I remember a fight one night in the lot just outside the Capital Plaza Hot Shoppes where one of the combatants pulled a huge chain out of his car and started swinging it wildly at his foe. It was the first time I had ever seen anyone use a chain in a fight. Must have been influenced by some scene in movie or something. Can't remember what the squabble was all about but I do recall the name of the individual using the chain. He will have to remain unidentified because he was a crazy man back then and if he's still around I wouldn't want to be the target of his wrath.....Don.

tommy
03-30-2011, 08:03 AM
I seem to remember the older folks in those days portraying anyone with a hot rod or custom as a hoodlum. Some "adults" wouldn't go to the Mo on weekends because of fear of trouble however unwarranted.

I do seem to remember hearing tell of a hassle (at the Queenstown Mo) between the Pagans and the Phantoms, the later of which started as a car club. I was pretty young at the time and don't know any more than that, or even if it was true.

Well there were no motorcycle gangs at the Mo. Like any public place, I'm sure some came through from time to time but they had no use for a bunch of punk kids with 4 wheel toys. I never heard of the Phantoms. The Pagans had stories about them. We knew about them but they were in a parallel universe and not in ours. I knew several guys that were building choppers and trikes that came into the Mo but they were building show bikes and were not not hoodlums. Two of them were building bikes behind the Mo at the Kustom's garage that I was a member of. The only picture that I have (someplace) of the Mo is a picture of Tony with his chopper right in front.

There was one story about the Pagans going over to northern Va to make war with some other club over there. They knew that 20-25 bikes would be spotted coming across the river so the story goes that they got a dump truck filled it up with Pagans and were able to cruise right up to the other club house, jump out of the dump bed and surprise the other club. I think that rumble made the papers but it was in Arlington? I think.

Back then it was mostly choppers. lots of Sportster's and some Triumphs. One of my buddies had an Indian that he customized. Jim made himself into a damn good custom car painter using heavy flake and candy colors. The people around me looked down on dressers. I think it's funny how the yuppies have embraced the Harley's You would not see any saddle bags in the Mo on Friday night in the 60s.:D

Yes "Hotrods" carried a stigma for years that the old folks didn't understand. The whole "streetrod" deal came from a conscious effort to avoid the term hotrod. That has lot to do with why I talk so much about those times. I can only speak about my experience but it was not the same as some people seem to believe by looking at old magazines and movies. I just want the the truth as I lived it to come out and not the stories that get passed around. We were middle class Americans and not hoodlums. We had a great time. I feel fortunate to have been around then and there.

Clik
05-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Well there were no motorcycle gangs at the Mo. Like any public place, I'm sure some came through from time to time but they had no use for a bunch of punk kids with 4 wheel toys. I never heard of the Phantoms. The Pagans had stories about them. We knew about them but they were in a parallel universe and not in ours. I knew several guys that were building choppers and trikes that came into the Mo but they were building show bikes and were not not hoodlums. Two of them were building bikes behind the Mo at the Kustom's garage that I was a member of. The only picture that I have (someplace) of the Mo is a picture of Tony with his chopper right in front.

There was one story about the Pagans going over to northern Va to make war with some other club over there. They knew that 20-25 bikes would be spotted coming across the river so the story goes that they got a dump truck filled it up with Pagans and were able to cruise right up to the other club house, jump out of the dump bed and surprise the other club. I think that rumble made the papers but it was in Arlington? I think.

Back then it was mostly choppers. lots of Sportster's and some Triumphs. One of my buddies had an Indian that he customized. Jim made himself into a damn good custom car painter using heavy flake and candy colors. The people around me looked down on dressers. I think it's funny how the yuppies have embraced the Harley's You would not see any saddle bags in the Mo on Friday night in the 60s.:D

Yes "Hotrods" carried a stigma for years that the old folks didn't understand. The whole "streetrod" deal came from a conscious effort to avoid the term hotrod. That has lot to do with why I talk so much about those times. I can only speak about my experience but it was not the same as some people seem to believe by looking at old magazines and movies. I just want the the truth as I lived it to come out and not the stories that get passed around. We were middle class Americans and not hoodlums. We had a great time. I feel fortunate to have been around then and there.

I could expand on that but the Hot Rod Hoodlum Moderators have already shown their displeasure at discussing such matters by censoring my posts on Hot Rod Hoodlums. I think some readers mistook my posts for promoting gang banger type car clubs rather than for exposing the TRUE history as you mentioned.

jbennett
07-22-2011, 08:13 PM
My dad was an Oxon Hill Box Buster. His name is John Bennett and we both live in coastal NC now. At the time he would have had a 1960 Impala, I think a 348 4bbl if I remember the stories right. White with a black instert, I think with moon wheels. When dad talks about that time in his life he just lights up. If anybody has any photos from that time, or a copy of the club logo they want to sell (or donate) I would love to have it as dad turns 70 in September and anything at all like that would just make his whole year. In particular, pictures of the Hot Shoppes or the strip at Aquasco. Drop me a line anytime by email or call me 910 409 6614, my name is Jeff. Thanks so much for starting this thread.

Clik
07-22-2011, 11:20 PM
If you do a search on this site for Aquasco you'll find some old pics.

Lee Martin
07-25-2011, 11:48 AM
In particular, pictures of the Hot Shoppes or the strip at Aquasco. Drop me a line anytime by email or call me 910 409 6614, my name is Jeff. Thanks so much for starting this thread.

Here's a feature on Aquasco with a bunch of photos....

http://www.atomicpinup.com/Aquasco_Speedway.html

-Lee
Atomic Radio
www.atomicpinup.com

lisavt
09-11-2011, 09:45 AM
I used to hang at the Bethesda Hot Shoppes, my favorite thing to eat was french fries and gravy. I don't know why but that gravy tasted so good!

SIC98
09-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Wow, I thought those stories my Dad told me about the "MO" were just that "stories", he worked at the District Heights Mo back in the day as a waiter and cook and he would be put in a tight spot because he was the guy that most of the time had to go out and stop the "kids" from messin' around, problem was he was friends with them, most of the time, and he would get pranked when he came out to clean the pickles off the windows, he told me when he worked the frier nobody got pickles on their burgers! As a kid growing up there in the mid 70's the Mo was already gone but there was a resturant in there we would eat at and Dad would tell his stories about how cool it was hanging out there, its a shame, but we as a family would hop in whatever rod he had and go to Roy Rodgers for car show hangout night with Southern Maryland Street Rods and that place was packed, aaahhh memories!:rolleyes:

FORD FAN
09-14-2011, 05:11 PM

Remember this place?

weenie beenie is still there or it was about a year ago. It looks exactly like the picture. I didnt grow up here but a guy in my club mentioned it so I went one time. Its drive up only.

Clik
09-28-2011, 10:46 PM
It looks like I'm not going to make the Mighty Mo reunion is Sharpsburg this weekend. I just got done working on the car and I'm not sure I've got the bugs out yet. Sharpsburg is a long tow from Broomes Island.

I wasn't a Mo Rat anyway. Just a punk kid doing wheelies on the Mo's speedbumps and waiting for the day when I was old enough to have a cool car or motorsickle.

I hope you ol' Mo Rats will take pics though.

lothiandon1940
11-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Still looking for any Mo Rats with pictures OR stories from back in the day. Hot Shoppes stories are cool as well. Come on, dig through those shoeboxes of old black and white photos. Even if you don't have pics of the "Mo" itself, show us pics of the car you had back then when you cruised the Mo or Hot Shoppes. Don't be embarassed, even if you were in Mom's car, we want to see it.....Don.

tommy
11-04-2011, 01:23 PM
http://www.fototime.com/%7BB4929F0D-AB08-45DE-821E-9D62A24BC90C%7D/origpict/302465_218814584839717_100001335307112_545021_4945 82422_n.jpg

I ran into Sonny Willett at the Jalopy Showdown a few weeks ago and he still has this 34 Chevy 2 dr. This was about 1964 at the DC Armory show. Hopefully we can talk him into showing it next year. 394 Olds, hydramatic and an olds rear.

lothiandon1940
11-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Very cool, Tommy. Do you think that lettering on the wall in the background says Prince Georges Kustoms?

tommy
11-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Very cool, Tommy. Do you think that lettering on the wall in the background says Prince Georges Kustoms?

Yes that is exactly what it says. This was before the year before I joined the club but we put many cars in the show. Bob Sales with his 41 Chevy convertible was a regular from the Kustoms also.

BruceWheelerDealer
12-30-2012, 02:45 PM
I drove around the Bethesda Hot Shoppe's lot 69 times...backwards, in my parents'53 Chevy convertible, just after B-CC high (my school) beat their arch rival, Montgomery Blair, in football. Crazy good times!

lothiandon1940
12-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks for bringing this thread back to the top. Hopefully some more folks will see it and chime in with additional stories and maybe even some pics from back in the day...................Don.

lothiandon1940
12-30-2012, 02:59 PM
I drove around the Bethesda Hot Shoppe's lot 69 times...backwards, in my parents'53 Chevy convertible, just after B-CC high (my school) beat their arch rival, Montgomery Blair, in football. Crazy good times!....Just read your bio and I see you have some very deep roots in drag racing. There's another thread on here about Aquasco with lots of great photos. If you've never seen it, do a search. It's worth a look and I'm sure it would bring back lots of memories for you. We welcome any and all stories you may have ......and pics are always cool...Don.:)

Clik
07-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Roy Fiddesop at my house Thanksgiving 92.

evolvo
07-09-2013, 11:15 PM
I just about grew up at the Hot Shoppes in Wheaton, always backed into "racers row".

wraymen
07-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Grew up in that area, The Mo was a bit before my driving years but spent many a weekend at University Bl. Mcdonalds. Tic Toc liquors and Jimmy Commers bar accross the street, you could cruise-drink all night and then get a nasty taco at Jack in the Box which never seemed to close.
I read in an earier post about racing on Z street NE. It was actually V st off of South Dakota Av. and there was some crazy sh-t that happened most every weekend. Alot of money, fights and accidents. The racing was done along the front of many warehouses, very tight with little room for a screw up. The Fire Dept. would come in and hose the street off at night to keep racers out but they would come any way and it just made it more treacherous. The police finally put up concrtete bariers staggered along the street so you could not even drive the road without heavy steering back and forth. That is when the racing moved to Rt. 50 and still happens today I believe.

wraymen
07-11-2013, 08:28 AM
http://www.fototime.com/%7B104A506D-28DC-48BA-B30A-0474F22DA2A9%7D/origpict/mightymo.jpg

The New Hampshire Mo. It was on New Hampshire ave. Someone posted this picture since this post first started. We'd ride up here when the manager kicked us out for not buying enough food at the Queenstown Mo. Spend a 1/2 hour or so and then ride back to start the clock ticking again.:D Nowhere near the street racing reputation as the Queenstown Mo had. I'm still looking for a picture of the Queenstown Mo.

You don't want to get me started about the street racing that was generated at the Queenstown Mo.
My sister told me the same story, Queenstown Mo would kick you out for cruisin and not buying anything so to save a few bucks they would eat at Burger Chef down the street and buy a soda at Mo's. Then cruise to the one on New Hamp. av. and back again. Hell, no body cruises any more they just go to shows and bring out the lawn chairs.

Clik
07-11-2013, 09:16 AM
What were you cruisin' Mickey D's in Wraymen?

I loved Jack-in-the-Box. Best cure for the midnight munchies and better than coffee to shake off the party fog.

wraymen
07-11-2013, 10:04 AM
I was in Dads 66 Mustang, had a 289. I thought it was bad ass until I ran another Mustang on Ager road and got beat so badly I just kept on going. That would have been about 1974 when I got my license. Before that it was in an early 60's Buick wildcat owned by my buddy Brian. We also cruised in a late 50's dodge wagon that was painted gold and had flakes big enough to eat off of. Some other cars from our neighborhood- black 55 chevy, 58 Dodge truck with a 440 in it(wood bed and keg for gas in bed). These guys were all older but very cool to us, by the time I could drive most of the cars showing up were muscle cars. If I remenber right the cars to beat were a camaro with a big block and a pinto wagon with a big block ford. He had the dash moved back to fit the motor and pretty much drove from the back seat.

Clik
07-11-2013, 12:38 PM
I might remember one of those cars but the others don't ring a bell as being regulars.

wraymen
07-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Most of our cars were not too much on the wow factor as we were all 16 or 17 at the time. A group of us from Chillum, Avondale and Green Meadows were there most weekends. Older brothers and friends bought us the beer. After high school we hung out in college park trying to pick up M.U. girls. Do you remember the pinto? He was there alot kinda ratty looking but it would fly.

Bruce Lancaster
07-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Ancient thread here...but here are some Hot Shoppe flics on Shorpy.
Earlier times, no hotrod hoodlums in sight, but some of the look of the restaurants carried over into our times...mmmm, the fudge cake, Aquasco, and DC armory shows in one post!

http://www.shorpy.com/search/node/hot+shoppe

http://www.shorpy.com/search/node/hot+shoppes

raprap
07-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Guys,
I did some time in the Wheaton/SilverSpring Area in the 60's. The HottShoppes on Viers Mill Road next to Wheaton Plaza was the hang out. Best Burgers and Hot fudge Cakes in the world! There was a Little Tavern across the street and we used turn around there and drag race back to the "Shoppes".

The closest taste in Shoppes Hot fudge cake is the ones from Friches or Big Boy.

Evolvo--what and when were you cruising the Wheaton hot Shoppes? I had a Turquoise 1958 Impala during the mid-to late 60's. Then a 1967 Olds Cutlass. Then a 1970 Rallye 350.

evolvo
07-18-2013, 12:14 AM
.Evolvo--what and when were you cruising the Wheaton hot Shoppes? I had a Turquoise 1958 Impala during the mid-to late 60's. Then a 1967 Olds Cutlass. Then a 1970 Rallye 350.

I graduated Wheaton High in '67, moved out to the PNW in '72 so I spent most of my time at the Hot Shoppes in '68, '69, '70 & '71. I was working at Lanman Litho in Rockville on the midnite to 8am shift. Go home and sleep all day, get up and have dinner with my folks and head to the Shoppes. Back into the row that was closest to the Plaza, not under the canopy, and pile into one of my pals cars, or them into mine. Order a chezburger, set of O-rings and a Coke in a dirty glass, pour out half the Coke and fill with JTS Brown (that's what Paul Newman drank in the "Hustler") for dessert we'd all light up either Swisher Sweets or Rum River Crooks and whistle at the girls, then I'd leave the shoppes at 11:30pm and go to work in Rockville. Good times, if a little foolish in hindsight!
I was driving a '55 Business Coupe at the time. This car later became the "Addict" running B or C Gas. I also had a '57 tudor wagon for a while.
I hung out with Pat Brennen, Dale Matthews, Jeff Hubbard, Phil Curry and many others whose names are lost to me. Our paths had to have crossed at sometime or the other:cool:

lothiandon1940
07-18-2013, 01:29 AM
The closest taste in Shoppes Hot fudge cake is the ones from Friches or Big Boy.

........Sadly there's neither a Friches nor a Big Boy anywhere near me.:(

wjk505
07-18-2013, 06:55 AM
the truck in the picture is a 31 or 32 ford with a buick nailhead motor with 6 two's.the owner is lester grinnings and the car was built by Lester & my brother Mike Munley.....Lester & i took it to Ocean City and terrorized everything on the road...It was awesome....Lester now lives in Rhode Island & collects old bicycles& is in the process of putting a rodster together.....pat Munley /bill klein