Register now to get rid of these ads!

valve grinder whats it worth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dannyego, Dec 4, 2009.

1. dannyego

dannyego

I came across this. The guy wants $140 for it. I dont know shit about them but it seems to be awfully cheap compared to the other stuff I have seen out there. I dont know what I would do with it but Im kinda curios....

Attached Files:

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DEFINATELY worth 140 bucks. Will you ever actually use it...maybe once or twice..

Neat piece. You need it. -Abone.

3. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

The problem is that a worn one is worse than none at all. If the chuck or the spindle that holds the valve does not hold the valve true, it will grind the valve eccentric, and the valve is still junk but looks OK. I bought a similar grinder for $50. Wound up giving it away. If you find a seat grinder and need valves ground, you can get them ground on state of the art equipment very cheaply at a rebuild shop, that's how I do it now.

4. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

kwick ways are good ones! but that one looks old like 40's or older maybe

5. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I agree with yoyodyne.

I will add that if the machine is perfect (all parts true, no bushing slop, etc., etc.) then maybe like $100 tops.

Also make sure that it is all there, and not missing the one obscure component you'd need to use it for your application.

6. I bought one a few years back thinking I needed one, then a machine shop offered me 3 times what I paid for it. Valve jobs are cheap at a machine shop, as said earlier, and are done by pros. No real advantage to having your own machine.

7. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Just thought of this: grind a couple of different size vales in it and then check them in a known good lathe with a dial indicator.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's well worth that if it is in good shape. Ask him if he will let you try a few valves in it to see how it works. You probably should take some valves with you but it shouldn't take long to see if it works right or not.

The bearings can be replaced but it takes precision bearings that run about 100 bucks each in most cases. It also takes some exact fitting up to get everything right.

Around here a combination of a good Sioux valve grinder and valve seat grinder with stones and mandrels usually goes for about 650.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

9. dannyego

dannyego

hmmmm... Thanks for all the advice. I doubt I would ever really use it seeing as I wouldnt trust myself not to screw something up with a machine that old (and my inexperience using one). It would be fun to screw around with and a good conversation piece to have sitting in the garage. I guess I will see if the guy still has it for sale when my Christmas shopping is all done and shoot him a low offer.

10. Ron In the SHOP

Ron In the SHOP
    BANNED
    from california

can you get some more pictures...?

and a good photo of the dataplate and the small number of the model that is stamped at the bottom.

If it is the same model / what I have, ......I will buy it .....

11. cgascompression

cgascompression

some parts for the older machines are'nt available. I would check with the brand name on the web first. I have a souix machine that looks great, but is junk cause of parts availability

12. ask him if you can fire it up and test grind some valves then have your local machinist look at them and see how true it grinds.

13. racer67x

racer67x

I have an old Black and Decker in decent shape if anyone is interested..pretty heavy to ship though.

send me a PM..
    :)

14. adamabomb76

adamabomb76
    from York, Pa

If it's something you just want, offer him $100. If it's a period thing....$100. I think that is fare.

15. Seems to me when the state auctioned off three old college valve grinders, they went fairly cheap, maybe $100 each for the three tops. Plus there was a head to a fourth and that went for $25 or $30. I threw a couple bids at that because they came from where I went to school, but I didn't want to drop a lot on them.

16. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I would buy it if i could afford it just to have it on my bench as some really cool vintage machinery, at least it might keep it from going to the scrap heap, as so many other machines have.

17. That's what I did basically, just played with it, kinda fun. It weighed about 280 lbs. I never learned how to dress the stones properly, which is important. I made $400 profit when I sold it, so that will cover my next 3 valve grinds.

18. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

I agree that machine shop work is relatively inexpensive for the work they do for you. Downside is they are not always available when you are trying to keep a project on a roll during a weekend or late nighter [hopefully done my last all nighter, been there and done that enough].

Rare time I am a few bucks ahead over the years have been keeping my eye out for good deal on used valve grinding/seating equipment myself. Thanks for all the tips on what to check out and consider beyond price alone.

Ed

19. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

If it proves to be good,it's a great thing to have if you fool with Flatheads. You can not only grind the vales but set the clearance without resorting to adjustables. Back in the day, all the general repair garages had them as well as half the farmers in my area.

20. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

You're selling yourself short. If the machine's in good working order, there's no reason you couldn't handle grinding valves correctly--it's not quantum physics. All you'd need is for someone that's done it before to show you the ropes. I bought an old Siuox valve grinder at an auction years ago for $40.00. Word got around that I had it, and guys started coming around wanting me to grind valves for them. I charged them fifty cents per valve, and made my $40.00 back.

21. synchro7

synchro7

About 20 tears ago I bought a KO Lee valve grinder and hard seat grinder w/stones and pilots. Cost me $450.00, but it paid for itself within 2 years. I did a lot of nonrace valve jobs on tractors to lawn mowers.
    I had to replace the collet pieces, the drive cable, and stones on the valve grinder to the tune of about $100.00.
    I do 6-8 vavle jobs a year.

22. bob308

bob308

it is easy to check just put in a valve gring it then rotate it 90 deg. blue it then grind it again if it does not hit all the way around something is wrong. i have a old soiux from the late 30's that still cuts good valves. i also have a seat grinder.

i got into doing valves because all the shops around here did was wreck them. i have done a lot of heads in the last 30 years.