View Full Version : How much did it cost to build your 2/3-car garage?

burger
01-26-2005, 08:51 PM
Sometime next summer, I'm looking to knock down my current leaky single-car garage and put up my Garage Mahal -- a 2 (or maybe a tight 3) car garage that will span most of my meager back yard. Zoning says I can go up to 16 feet in height, so I plan on a loft with a real slow pitch to the roof.

Before I get ahead of myself and plan something I can't afford, I'd like to know what you gents paid for your sheds and what you got. That'll at least give me a starting idea of what I can expect given the paltry sum I have to work with.

The biggest thing that I'm unsure of is the cost of a concrete pad.

I'd also be very interested to hear what the wiring cost you and if you'd consider doing it yourself (I do have an electrican friend who I'm sure I could co-erce into helping).

Thanks!
Ed

PS- Ryan, if you're reading this, the WYSIWYG text editor ROCKS!

just steve
01-26-2005, 08:58 PM
Ed --
I just got done putting up a 24x30 with heat tubing in the slab, 6-inch sidewalls, 8-foot ceilings. Finished exterior to match the house (steel siding, aluminum trim, shingles, etc), one 16-foot rollup door, three windows, basic electric (100-amp service box, one light circuit one outlet circuit). Cost me 22,500, took about a month from start to done.

Added another 1500 or so for rock, insulation, and additional wiring. Did all that myself. Add another 1200 for the water heater and assorted frippery for the in-floor heat. Best money I ever spent, next to the deuce.

Steve.

Ryan
01-26-2005, 09:03 PM
I did a 24 x 30 with nice concrete slab, real nice garage door and man door, two windows, insulation, and loft for $17k.

RileyRacing
01-26-2005, 09:11 PM
I did a 24 x 30 with nice concrete slab, real nice garage door and man door, two windows, insulation, and loft for $17k.

A local lumber yard has a 24X24, 3 courses of block, floor (only 4") and doors, in T111 for a shade over 10k. Seems pretty reasonable, cause the kit is like 8k itself, and concrete around here ain't cheap.

Jay

AHotRod
01-26-2005, 09:12 PM
I built my 30x36 concrete shop for $20K here in the country side on the Gulf Coast of Florida

40Tudor
01-26-2005, 09:18 PM
My 24x28 was $13k plus a grand for rock and insulation and we'll say $700 for electrical (240V 100A box and 20 or so outlets). Basic detached garage on a floating slab with minimal ground prep. It has an insulated steel 16' x 8' high overhead, one service door, two windows and a 10 foot ceiling.

I had it built about 5 years ago and took care of the interior 'finish' work myself.

Chandler
01-26-2005, 09:20 PM
you can wire it yourself then get your buddy to hook it to the breaker box. Its not as bad as it seems. grab a book from the Hardware store and it will explain the basics. I wired my garage and Im no electrician. Good luck. The more you can do yourself the cheaper it will be

nate
01-26-2005, 09:22 PM
Mine is 25x40, the concrete was about 5500. I'm going 25' tall with a barn roof. When it's done I figure about 22k, but that's with no insulation or sheetrock. It's also all wood with cedar siding.

wheels1950
01-26-2005, 09:55 PM
Ed,My son Is planning on a 36X36 unless he can get a variance for a 36X40,He talked to an Amish guy in Lancaster and He said he would put up a 36X36 12' high ceilings for $20,000. That includes the pad, roof,8 foot door.side door 4 windows,and it's steel structure They also have it up in about 4 days.I'll find out the guys name and get it back to Ya WHEELS

Flathead Youngin'
01-26-2005, 10:10 PM
[QUOTE=edmurder]Sometime next summer, I'm looking to knock down my current leaky single-car garage and put up my Garage Mahal -- a 2 (or maybe a tight 3) car garage that will span most of my meager back yard. Zoning says I can go up to 16 feet in height, so I plan on a loft with a real slow pitch to the roof.

Before I get ahead of myself and plan something I can't afford, I'd like to know what you gents paid for your sheds and what you got. That'll at least give me a starting idea of what I can expect given the paltry sum I have to work with.

I'd also be very interested to hear what the wiring cost you and if you'd consider doing it yourself (I do have an electrican friend who I'm sure I could co-erce into helping).

Here is a pic of my garage, look in the "my projects" folder:

http://community.webshots.com/user/flatheadyounin

I have around 15k in mine....no siding yet or insulation

34x30
3 doors - no 36" entry yet
10 ft. ceiling (good for lifts, i have an I beam spanning the whole width)
used posts like a pole barn, but used 2x6 tongue and groove 3 score high to make it look like a foundation
i have a full sized loft upstairs 8ft. ceiling in the center, 4ft knee wall on front and rear (see pic) (this is the best part of the garage- storage!!!)
concrete 4-5" thick
i did about 1/2 the work myself, sheeting, electric, garage doors, stairs, floor joists (upstairs), french drains, I beam, lot's of stuff, i contracted the concrete, posts, band boards, roofing, and a couple of other things
when i started mine, 7/16 OSB litterally doubled in price (Hurricanes in FL), I bought some of my sheeting at a lumber yard that had 2nds, I think I gave the contractor $3500 for the concrete, leveling the ground, drilling holes for the posts, and his materials.......I gave him $500 to put the roof on and I think it was $500 to put up the....crap not trusses I didn't use them I used...I can't think of it....getting sleepy! Anyway, I love it!!!! I wish I had done it sooner! I've always worked outside; cold, hot and worst of all, had to pick up everything when done....hard to work with a sand blasted frame that you have to cover over with a tarp for 4 months!

if you can afford it, put the loft upstairs, put a really heavy I beam to support it and insulate it (I can't afford insulations yet).......I live in Ohio.....let me know if you have any questions, i just went through this...

Roothawg
01-26-2005, 10:20 PM
I amin the process of building a 40x50x14 and I will have approx. $35,000 in it.
A lot of the costs incurred were stuff like garage doors, 3 each. for about 2,000 bux.
The building itself was $ 21,500 with insulation.(steel building) concrete included.
I wired it myself but I still have about 1,000 ft of Romex in it. I added a loft(approx.600 sf) and a paint room (sheetrocked) that added $4,500 in materials.

I did all the labor except for the actual outside structure and slab. But if ya figure it all up I'll have 2600 sf of storage for 35K. That's cheaper than a new SUV.

63CadGuy
01-26-2005, 10:27 PM
I'm adding a 24x40 addition on to my garage with 9'ceilings this summer and the materials with rock will run me less then $8,000. I have to get quotes yet for the slab yet. This will have one window, three 9' doors and an entry door.

jackiegleason
01-26-2005, 10:44 PM
Our garage is 24x30, no electricity...just a garage with cement floor, cost 10 grand.

Tinbender
01-27-2005, 10:05 AM
I must have gotten the deal of the week. 24X40, 14' walls, 6-12 roof. 10X12 door, 2 man doors, insulated, with the floor, site prep, and tree removal $12,250 turn key. I did the electrical ,about $500 so far (I'll be adding more) I also added the loft (24X8 so far) spent another 600 on that. I went with forced air gas heat. I bought a used unit for 100, but it cost 1100 to install.
Damn, no wonder I'm so broke right now! My only regret is waiting so long to do it.

RoadKat
01-27-2005, 10:16 AM
i just got a 30x30 all steel building with slab and a 15 ft roof extension for 10,000. but i had too put in my own doors and wiring. the ceiling is 9 ft. and it is insulated.

**MCQUEEN**
01-27-2005, 10:52 AM
In 1988 it was 3500.00 for all building materials-delivered , 100.00 for fill sand , 500.00 for concrete , 300.00 for electrical for 24x30 with 9ft ceiling......boy them were the days : P

RC
01-27-2005, 11:12 AM
We put up the red iron and skinned the walls on my 40 X 30 building last weekend, and will be placing the roof and trim this weekend.

I have two garage doors one 10 feet and one 16 feet long.

One man door 4 feet wide and 12 foot walls with no rafters, so I can add a lift one day.

Cost was $18,500.00 for slab, building and installation.

I will be doing all the finish out inside, electrical, plumping, insulation.

Roothawg
01-27-2005, 11:24 AM
Keep in mind when I say 35K, that will be with heat and air, finished inside and out. With a concret approach and driveway.

Plowboy
01-27-2005, 11:24 AM
I had my 30x40 pole building put up for $11,900 that included 2 overhead doors, concrete and 1 walk in door. He "bookshelved" the walls instead of just putting the nailers on the outside of the poles. I highly suggest doing this if you are going to finish out the inside it saves a ton of time and a lot of effort.

I wired and insulated it myself (6 inch thick) and hung 7/16 OSB on the walls.

I bought a $20 furnace to keep it warm. I also hung a white steel ceiling in there and blew a foot of insulation on top of it. It is nice and toaty warm out there.

Grand total was probably around $15,000.

RC
01-27-2005, 11:35 AM
He "bookshelved" the walls instead of just putting the nailers on the outside of the poles.

My building was bolt up job, and nailers are like you said "bookshelved" at eight feet.
It will make it easy to finish out that way.

TIKIFREAK13
01-27-2005, 11:50 AM
well if your talking for cheap my 20X24 kit garage was $2000 at local build it center not menards a small biz in my town & that was with out shingels cause we had house roof redone and wanted to match the slab waz $700 mis crap + shingels& paying to have it done had no time with work was about $1300 & me and family put in up on weekends this fall so got 4K with out sheet roock & wireing & heat planning another K for that so should have 5K when its done & i can work out of it i know its small but was biggest i could put on my lots & i have three of them on a coner

CruZer
01-27-2005, 12:08 PM
I built my 36x26 three car two years ago on a slab.I was quoted $7500 for the excavation and slab but I got really lucky and my son in laws father got the equipment and an operator for free and the slab cost me $2500.$1400 of that was the concrete.
I built the actual garage with a lot of help from my friends.It's vinyl sided with a metal roof.The cost was $8500. I found that the metal roof was actually cheaper because you screw it down to "purlins" made of 1x2's nailed over the trusses so you don't need plywood,tarpaper and roof shingles.The roof is guarenteed for 50 years so I know I'll never replace it.
Another thing I did was rent a nail gun (I have a compressor ) and Sears sells a plastic device that measures 16" on center when you're laying up your walls on the ground.With a little practice two of us were building 10 foot walls 8 feet high in about 15 minutes.
I also used pressure treated plywood for the bottom four feet of the walls and particle board for the rest.I put the walls on 6x6 pressure treated wood.
I got four quotes for material which ranged from $8K to $10K .

brucee10
01-27-2005, 12:24 PM
My dad owns a concrete company and here in Indiana a garage floor style pad would run about $6 a sq.ft plus any special work like drains or excavation. Most concrete contractors should be able to give you a rough square foot cost just based on materials and labor and finish style.

Brother Bob
01-27-2005, 12:34 PM
I am in the process of roughing in the pad/forms and concrete work for my 40x60 Shop. Around these parts concrete runs about 60-70 bucks a yard.
The slab alone in just concrete $ is around 4200 bucks.
I am looking for seconds and buildings that I can tear down to keep the price down on materials. I may have to sell one of my rides to finance the damn thing but when its done its mine.
Plans are 40deep 60 long , steel building/roof, bathroom and a 6" slab , I might find a lift for the right price? Loft and show off area. I am not planning on insulation just tall walls 14' and lots of airflow. I picked up 2 doors that are getting replaced by a Overhead door co for nothing 12x12!
My lady thinks I'm nutz.
I think I may be too.

Kustom Chief
01-27-2005, 03:47 PM
I built my 30x36 concrete shop for $20K here in the country side on the Gulf Coast of Florida

It's cheap because of the cheap mermaid labor.

Larry

Kustom Chief
01-27-2005, 03:48 PM
Ed,My son Is planning on a 36X36 unless he can get a variance for a 36X40,He talked to an Amish guy in Lancaster and He said he would put up a 36X36 12' high ceilings for $20,000. That includes the pad, roof,8 foot door.side door 4 windows,and it's steel structure They also have it up in about 4 days.I'll find out the guys name and get it back to Ya WHEELS

I'm going to need that number too Wheels.

Thanks Mr. Leonetti

Larry

NITROFC
01-27-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm using these guys for my next garage........ check out there wook in the pic

http://www.mortonbuildings.com

Chopped54
01-27-2005, 04:52 PM
http://www.metalbuildingdepot.com

J.D.
01-27-2005, 06:22 PM
mine three car oversized cost me $190,000 and has some little house right in front of it for some reason

brianf31
01-27-2005, 07:08 PM
$ per square foot, I did real well...

30' X 30' for $8000 in 2000

3 courses of cinder block on top of the slab gives 10' ceiling with 8' 2 X 4 framing. The roof trusses (4/12 pitch) were around $1200, I think.

Two 10' wide, 7' high doors plus a 3' steel entrance door.

I hired out the concrete, blocks, roofing, and vinyl siding. I built it at the same time that I built my house, so maybe my subs gave me a price break.

I wired it myself, using a 100 amp panel. Big enough to run 220V to both the stick welder and air compressor.

NO interior panelling, insulation, heat or air conditioning.

baytowngreaser
01-27-2005, 08:00 PM
I had a 20'x40' metal building built last year with a garage door, a regular door,one window,insulated roof and slab for about the same as Ryan paid for his. Right around the $17,000 range.

topdeadcenter
01-27-2005, 08:52 PM
26x40 for $6500 in 2000. No heat. No insulation. Wired for 200 amp. I did it all myself including the slab. I still have all the reciepts and the list saved in a Word file. It includes every nail, screw, and shingle...I will e-mail if anyone wants it....

burger
01-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Wow.

What an eye opener.

I incorrectly figured that $5000 bought you a bare bones, but well-constructed 2-car garage and $10,000 would buy something pretty nice and sizeable.

I'm also suprised at the size of everyone's garages. I'd be floored to have a 24 x 24 garage. It seems most have 24 x 32 or larger.

Does anyone have input on the garage "kits" sold by local and chain lumber yards -- the ones with shingles, siding, lumber, etc all in one package? I've seen them advertised around $2000 in the sizes that I'm looking at. What am I missing? How does it jump from $2000 to $10000?

How much will I save by doing my own labor? I come from a very "handy" group of friends and family, so I assume we can tackle everything except the slab... I've even been told we could do that, though I've never done any concrete work.

Thanks for the replies!

Ed

burger
01-27-2005, 09:15 PM
PS- TDC, I would like to see that list. Maybe I can glean a little on the costs of building materials. Please send it to erb22@drexel.edu Thanks.

JasonK
01-27-2005, 10:18 PM
I just built my 20x24 garage "myself". Well with the help of some of my friends. I have less than 5 grand in it. A friend is a electrician, he told me he can help me get power to it, said it shouldn't cost more than 250.00.

If you don't know anything about concrete, pay somone to do it. I wish I would have paid to have mine done or at least someone there when I frormed it up. It was a real bitch. I'm not happy with my floor. I can only blame myself.... At least there are no cracks yet!

If there are some home improvement centers they can work up a estimate for you. Good Luck!!

63CadGuy
01-27-2005, 10:28 PM
Wow.

What an eye opener.

I incorrectly figured that $5000 bought you a bare bones, but well-constructed 2-car garage and $10,000 would buy something pretty nice and sizeable.

I'm also suprised at the size of everyone's garages. I'd be floored to have a 24 x 24 garage. It seems most have 24 x 32 or larger.

Does anyone have input on the garage "kits" sold by local and chain lumber yards -- the ones with shingles, siding, lumber, etc all in one package? I've seen them advertised around $2000 in the sizes that I'm looking at. What am I missing? How does it jump from $2000 to $10000?

How much will I save by doing my own labor? I come from a very "handy" group of friends and family, so I assume we can tackle everything except the slab... I've even been told we could do that, though I've never done any concrete work.

Thanks for the replies!

Ed

Labor generally is about the same as lumber cost, just a ballpark. Do you have a Menards were you live? If so, they have a computer setup that you can go in and virtual build your garage and it will give you a basic pricelist. Pretty easy to use and is generally located in the building area. Like I said before, mine will cost me around $7000 and that was a 24x40, with rock and insulation about another $1000.

willowbilly3
01-28-2005, 01:25 AM
Whatever you do, don't scrimp on the insulation, especially the cieling. If you live where it gets cold you will never regret putting R-36 up there. If you get a lot of snow, I would consider a cold roof. I had a 16x30 in Alaska with a cold roof and 12 inch fiberglass insulation in the cieling. I het it with a very small oil stove from a 50s trailer house for about $3.00 a day during the coldest months (20-40 below zero) and I never had even the smallest icecicle off the eve. I only had 4 inch walls too.

AssGasket
01-28-2005, 02:43 AM
Ah, garages...

My friend has a 18x20 garage that we wanted to fix... Cinder block structure, dirt floor, shitty fiberglass roof...... All the fun stuff...

Heavy destructive winds convinced the insurance company to replace the roof, since it made no sense to have the roof protecting part of the yard...

We dug the floor by HAND... That's 25 bux for the pick-mattock and the shovel....

A drunk toothless redneck did the stones and poured and smoothed the concrete for under a grand...

Check the local "red-neck shithole" bar in your town... MOST of the guys in there are "self-employed construction workers"... You ask 'em what they do, and they say how they have a roofing business or a masonry or a concrete business... It's all bullshit, but they still have connections to get the work done CHEAP... To find these types, look for a guy with a mustache, a NASCAR shirt, a camo "deer-slayer" jacket, and a BUSCH can in front of him.... He's your guy...

Overhead doors go for around 200 a piece at Lowes... They're pretty easy to install...

Flourescent fixtures with bulbs are around 15 bux... Try to find wire that they cut off by mistake... LOWE's always has a little cart with assorted lengths of wire that came from the end of a reel, or was cut by mistake... It's usually at LEAST half price...

Outlets and boxes are cheap as fuck... Something like 2 bux....

*Here's a neat trick... I ran the 2 light fixtures in the celing in parallel on each side, and spliced them into one plug... So, there's 2 plugs for 4 lights... I installed a 4-outlet box in the celing, and ran that out to the power inlet... I soldered a plug on to that (Left over from clipping the light cords)... This way, the box is plugged in to extension cords from the house... We have lights and 2 free outlets for a radio and whatever else needs plugged in for now....

This way, when I install the breaker box, I can cut the plug off of the wires and run the line for the 4-outlet box into a switch.... Basically, it's a temporary fix that will be adapted to the permanent set-up....

Even when you add the 60 bux for floor sealer, 40 bux for wall paint, and 100 bux worth of expanding foam, we're still under 2 grand for a 2-car garage that the only original part of the structure is the cinger block walls....

My friend gets electrical shit at wholesale, so when we're done we should be under 3,000 with permanent wiring (240 line) and R-8 insulation...

By the way, cardboard in the rafters makes great poor-mans insulation...

Ok, I'm done rambling like a drunk.... I hope that made sense...

CruZer
01-28-2005, 09:57 AM
Wow.

What an eye opener.

Ed

Ed, the first garage I built in 1986 was a 24x24 kit from a local lumber yard and it worked out great. I gave them a drawing with dimensions,then had a full foundation poured professionally( $6500) in '86 money.The kit was $2500 and it came with the walls all built.By the end of the first day we had the walls up and the trusses on.(three guys)By the end of day 2 the plywood was on the roof and I was starting to shingle. The walls were made of Texture 111 over the studs. The lumber yard sent two guys to deliver and install the walls with me as part of the deal.

The 24x24 was the biggest I could get into the space I had and with 9foot walls it was perfect.I could put the wife's car one one side and have plenty of room to work on my hotrod in the other bay.
Of course,I like my new 3 bay garage better.The 26 feet deep part is just enough more than the 24 feet deep old one that I can put shit against the front wall and still move around in there.

RC
01-28-2005, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE=edmurder]
QUOTE]

I paid $1,400 for four loads of dirt to level the site, plus haul off the concrete from the smaller shop (that I tore down (20X16)) that price included leveling the dirt (pad).

The concrete slab cost $3.00 per sq foot, that included setting the forms, digging the footer wall, running the rebar, pour and finish. The forms were set-up for two overhead doors and a "tin" lip all around the pad. Cost of slab $3,600

Footer walls were 18 inches deep, tie "beams" in the center were 12 inches deep flat area was just over 4 inches deep.

If I add a lift later it will be mounted in the center tie "beam" part of the slab that is 12 inches deep and 12 inches wide.

That is $1,400 for the dirt work and $3,600 for the concrete so $5,000 for a 40 X 30 concrete slab/pad.

:eek: RC

57wagon
01-28-2005, 11:21 AM
I got a quote from a local garage builder when I built a garage at my last house. 24x36 was the biggest I could put on my lot... They wanted 18,000 to do the whole thing...

Then I went to menards, and priced out the actual material itself,,, 10' side walls, insulated garage door, 1 service door, and 1 window. about 3500 for the wood, siding and all doors.. My cousin poured the slab so all I had to do was pay for the concrete...

The mortgage company saw the "estimate" for the builder to get it, sent me a check for 18,000 I built the garage for about a total of $6000 and had $12,000 left over for more fun stuff :)

burger
01-28-2005, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the second round of replies.

My cousin installs kitchens and bathrooms into new constuction homes, so he probably knows somebody who can help me out with the concrete. I'll ask him next weekend at my family's Super Bowl party (GO EAGLES!).

One other thing that might help me keep the cost down is that I can re-use stuff from my existing garage: the lighting, man-door, one garage door, outlets and switches, shelving and cabinets, etc.

Can I re-use the concrete slab by adding on next to it, or would I be better off to pour a new one? I'm not sure that it's level (never checked), but it is in good crack-free condition.

Also, demolition is no problem. My dad owns a fence company, and amongst his collection of goodies is a Bobcat and a dump truck. I'm actually looking forward to that part of the job.

Thanks,
Ed

PS- What parts are usually not included in the "kits"? There has to be some reason behind the low cost.

CruZer
01-28-2005, 12:39 PM
PS- What parts are usually not included in the "kits"? There has to be some reason behind the low cost.[/QUOTE]

Ed, I don't see why you couldn't add a concrete slab next to the one under your existing garage.I'm sure someone on here smarter than me will come up with a reason,though.
The kit I bought didn't include a walk in door or windows.The openings were there,though.It did include two overhead fiberglas insulated doors with tracks and hardware,all of the roofing stuff including nails,plywood clips,rolled tar paper and shingles.The walls,trusses, enough T111 to finish the front and back peaks and the lumber to build the soffits were included.

One thing I did with the new garage was take my dimensions to a big (Home Depot) lumber store and they figured out everything I needed and itemized it for me. Then I took this list to other lumber yards for their quotes. Rotten thing to do? Nah, I've spent lots of money at the Depot and I figured they owed me.

sawzall
01-28-2005, 12:56 PM

Thanks!
Ed

ed, my coworker just poured the walls and floor of his new home last summer. he paid 85.00 a yard for concrete.. delivered.. no labor. so if you figure that a yard of concrete is a cube 3' by 3' by 3' you should be able to calculate the cost of the crete for the floor. I would bet that this expense will be the most costly part of the project.

I personally would not reuse the existing slab unless it was darn near perfect.. in the long run you'll just be pissed you cut that corner..

later jeff

burger
01-28-2005, 08:21 PM
How thick do I need to have the concrete poured? If I go with a 24 x 24 slab, 4" thick, that works out to be a little less than $650... I can swing that. 5" thick is about $750.. Does a per yard price typically include the levelling, rebar, etc?

Ed

**MCQUEEN**
01-28-2005, 09:01 PM
I am in the process of roughing in the pad/forms and concrete work for my 40x60 Shop. Around these parts concrete runs about 60-70 bucks a yard.
The slab alone in just concrete $ is around 4200 bucks.
I am looking for seconds and buildings that I can tear down to keep the price down on materials. I may have to sell one of my rides to finance the damn thing but when its done its mine.
Plans are 40deep 60 long , steel building/roof, bathroom and a 6" slab , I might find a lift for the right price? Loft and show off area. I am not planning on insulation just tall walls 14' and lots of airflow. I picked up 2 doors that are getting replaced by a Overhead door co for nothing 12x12!
My lady thinks I'm nutz.
I think I may be too.

Hey, just a tip about saving on steel sheeting. These places that build pole barns, like FBI & Morton, they take & sell what's left over (not scraps, full/new sheets) to someone in the area...kind of like a standing contract, if you can find who it is they usually sell it for about 30% the cost per sheet. Even excess poles , and half sheets which are usually dirt cheap, like 1.00 or 2.00ea. You just need to poke around and get one of the workers on a job to tell you where they take it.

JasonK
01-28-2005, 09:16 PM
Oh, I forgot. My out of pocket was about 1,500.00 to build mine. My neihbor's insurance paid for nearly all of mine. He ran into the old one. (12x22 dirt floor and more termite veins than actual wood. Thank God the inspector didn't look too hard...)

**MCQUEEN**
01-28-2005, 09:18 PM
I just built my 20x24 garage "myself". Well with the help of some of my friends. I have less than 5 grand in it. A friend is a electrician, he told me he can help me get power to it, said it shouldn't cost more than 250.00.

If you don't know anything about concrete, pay somone to do it. I wish I would have paid to have mine done or at least someone there when I frormed it up. It was a real bitch. I'm not happy with my floor. I can only blame myself.... At least there are no cracks yet!

If there are some home improvement centers they can work up a estimate for you. Good Luck!!

Boy you've got that right....been there done that. I would advise to NEVER, do concrete work....not because of your ability or how it'd come out or whatever, but there's no harder work on earth other than diggin' ditches with a short-handle shovel than concrete work....if it takes your last dime, pay experts.

oldkid
01-29-2005, 05:07 PM
mine's 24wide, 32 long, 2 roll up doors,1 window, 1 walk in door.
friend in the concrete biz did the slab with 18in footers for $2500
another friend got me the complete kit from 84 lumber, cost $5800
i wired it myself with one of those home depot how-to books
insulated & drywalled myself(i woulda paid somebody to hang that shit)
16 outlets 16 4ft lights benches & cabinets(salvage)
i've got just under 10k in the whole deal.
need to go bigger to fit 3 cars but 2 and all my stuff fit great.

CruZer
01-29-2005, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=edmurder]How thick do I need to have the concrete poured? If I go with a 24 x 24 slab, 4" thick, that works out to be a little less than $650... I can swing that. 5" thick is about $750.. Does a per yard price typically include the levelling, rebar, etc?

Ed,what I installed is called an alaskan slab or arctic slab,I forget which.Here's what was recommended to me because we get 6 inches to a foot of frost or more and this keeps the slap from cracking: The outer perimiter is 12" deep by 18 " wide at 18" you taper the dirt up to 8" so the actual floor is 4".Compact this all really well.Then We lined the 12" perimeter with bricks and rocks and set one course of rebar on top to raise the rebar about 2" out of the dirt.Then we pounded 8" rebar into the ground next to the horizontal rebar and tied another course of rebar about 6" higher all around the perimeter.next we spaced bricks and rocks on the surface of the 8 inches of dirt and layed wire mesh on top of these. when we started to pour concrete we filled the perimeter first then filled in the floor and screeted the whole thing with a long 2x4.then we ised a whirlybird to smooth the floor and after it cured I cut a 3/4" groove across the floor and up the floor to stop cracks from going to far.This is all done so the slab "floats" on the ground when the frost gets under it. Where you live si probably not a severe weather-wise so I don't know what is recommended.
Like I said in a previous response.The slab cost me about $2500 mostly in concrete.

HonkyTonker
01-29-2005, 07:39 PM
We are buying this house, it already has a 26X26 garage in the back with cement that runs from the street all the way back to the garage. Wish he would get out! haha Fuck, I NEVER had a garage to buying a house with this garage out back with a 2 car garage attached with a two car carport. The owner built this himself and had about 18k including 220V, insulation,dry wall, and 5k in cement from the driveway up front.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/neal0o/carsandebay044.jpg