View Full Version : Distric Attorney/ Code Enforcement issues with your cars?

J.Fishbeck
11-24-2009, 09:38 PM
To justify & verify(sounds like Don King already) this thread, I just have to say.. I have High School friends who are code enforcement employees an I know their vacation jobs of past are over, out citing people for any bullish like not having their the Hse. No. physically on the house itself. Okay, but what I would really like to know is if ANY of you have had any run ins with your local code enforements or District Attorneys in my case regarding your cars or anything else lately. They've been after us for decades. Yes, Decades. I think they want a car, for real. Code Enforcement has us on record that we are grandfathered in (since 1951) with pea gravel being acceptable to park our cars on. But the District Attorneys office are pressuring us this time, to upgrade the parking surface w/ Cement or Black top. Our hearing is scheduled for early next month. Let me know whats up with you all out there!

hotrod-Linkin
11-24-2009, 09:43 PM
builld those cars and they won't be a violation. just kidding..

now what are you trying to say. that is one sketchy thread.

pastlane
11-24-2009, 09:45 PM
I wasn't grandfathered in but my two cars were parked on cement. Went to court twice and wound up getting rid of the cars. If it's any help I'm looking for a driver 55 or 56 post...

6LaSabra3
11-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Same thing here you cannot park on dirt or gravel. In your backyard? has to be covered, on pavement. only one car not running. Its effin BS if ya have the wrong neighbor. Private yard even non residencial has to be a blocking fence.
Out in Ridgecrest area of the dez they are really after people about old stuff.

J.Fishbeck
11-24-2009, 09:49 PM
I am almost finished with the 58, and I just bought the 59 El Camino. Bad timing all the way around. You cant believe what we have to put up with in California. Sketchy is a politically correct way of explaining what we're going through.

J.Fishbeck
11-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Sorry, no drivers for sale.. 56 Bel Air 2dr Sedan Project only

I wasn't grandfathered in but my two cars were parked on cement. Went to court twice and wound up getting rid of the cars. If it's any help I'm looking for a driver 55 or 56 post...

Hi!
11-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Good luck. Did they cite any other offenses besides parked on dirt. Ive had run ins in the past when I had property like you, usaully from somebody complaining. You can prolong it depending on your zoning and running a business. Good luck.

J.Fishbeck
11-24-2009, 10:03 PM
It was my neighbor to the East of me for sure. Both neighbors on either sides sell cars illegally- - title jumping & not paying any tax at all. They're draining the economy an I'm the one they're after. I'm not feeling sorry for myself. I feel hopeless when illegal aliens have more leeway than me. It's just discouraging.

hotrod-Linkin
11-24-2009, 10:05 PM
move out here to oklahoma....you can have hundreds of cars parked on your property.

J.Fishbeck
11-24-2009, 10:10 PM
move out here to oklahoma....you can have hundreds of cars parked on your property.

I've seen those lots of old rides that go on for what seems like forever. The real fields of dreams!

PhilJohnson
11-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Man it is things like this that make me glad I live in the sticks. I got 7 cars sitting around and no one cares. Helps when you have hillbillies for neighbors. The one across the street lives in a converted chicken coop.

roddinron
11-24-2009, 10:18 PM
I know you guys have great weather and the ocean and all that, but I don't know how the fuck you can live in that state. The lunatics have taken over the asylum and there's no way you're gonna get it back. And to think, I used to dream of going there.:(

J.Fishbeck
11-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Good luck. Did they cite any other offenses besides parked on dirt. Ive had run ins in the past when I had property like you, usaully from somebody complaining. You can prolong it depending on your zoning and running a business. Good luck.

Something about not enough trees, and all the cars in the back have to be on an improved surface. I can understand it, it's for the better! I am just curious how far this is being carried out.

hotrod-Linkin
11-24-2009, 10:29 PM
i believe i would go over around ontario and rent an empty warehouse.

J.Fishbeck
11-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Helps when you have hillbillies for neighbors. The one across the street lives in a converted chicken coop.

Thanks..that made me laugh! I'm still smilin'! I instantly thought about a hillbillies life, living in a Chopped Model A Chicken Coupe.. his and her terlet(toilet) seats and the whole bit!

cornbinder52
11-24-2009, 10:36 PM
Here in my small town of 1800 in central illinois you cannot have a vehicle in city limits that is visible unless it is licensed and plated. We do not have non-op status here. It is a city ordinance, but impounded cars are still impounded cars...

49ratfink
11-24-2009, 10:37 PM
my cars are all fine. it's me that is violating code.:eek:

SOCAL1
11-24-2009, 10:39 PM
I know you guys have great weather and the ocean and all that, but I don't know how the fuck you can live in that state. The lunatics have taken over the asylum and there's no way you're gonna get it back. And to think, I used to dream of going there.:(

Ain't that the truth. I think the issue they have is oil or gas contaminating the ground...I guess?

J.Fishbeck
11-24-2009, 10:44 PM
I know you guys have great weather and the ocean and all that, but I don't know how the fuck you can live in that state.

Everything I could want is an hour away.. EL Mirage, Big Bear Mtns, Palm Springs(not so much anymore, though) L.A, Temecula wine country.. So Cal is amazing. I've been coast to coast, north to south.. not taking anything away from anywhere else. But the Inland Empire is RICH with Hot Rod history. Denver Mullins with the Chopper roots, to my Dad being the second person in the Big I.E painting "Murano" Pearls(which he still has)
This is home.. unfortunatly

INVISIBLEKID
11-24-2009, 10:46 PM
As long as they're in your 'back yard" they're untouchable. Build a gate,fence,something that blocks visability from the street and your good.
They can be parked on feathers! it does'nt matter!:mad:

mlagusis
11-24-2009, 10:49 PM
it probably has something to do with your "carbon footprint" being too big. Your cars are taking up area where trees can be growing. That's the new thing right? If you follow the logic of the "green" movement, the only logical conclusion would be to kill yourself so you would leave no carbon footprint at all. I grew up in the SF Bay Area and moved from there to Nampa Idaho 5 years ago and am thankful for doing it just because of crap like that. We do not even have to smog here.

6LaSabra3
11-24-2009, 10:50 PM
As long as they're in your 'back yard" they're untouchable. Build a gate,fence,something that blocks visability from the street and your good.
Not here even in the back yard behind a fence it has to be on a paved surface and covered. And these are the A holes that started it a house behind you sits higher than yours if he can see in your back yard then all he has to do is make a complant. you loose

Bib Overalls
11-24-2009, 10:55 PM
Third generation Californian. Born and raised up in SoCal. I live in Arkansas. We have code enforcement in the cities. But out in the country it is pretty much live and let live. Can I recommend a real estate agent?

BBobb
11-24-2009, 10:59 PM
F@#$ it,move to Texas.We got plenty of dirt to park cars on

piche582
11-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Gotta watch out, even being grandfathered in doesn't help. Know of a couple businesses in my hometown (Fremont, Ca.) that were grandfathered in businesses run by multigen. families. All the city did was make it IMPOSSIBLE for them to do anything improvement wise until there buildings literally fell apart. Then when they wanted to rebuild it had to be up to all the new codes & environmental standards which were pretty well impossible for them to meet & still be able to turn a profit so they just closed up shop.

INVISIBLEKID
11-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Not here even in the back yard behind a fence it has to be on a paved surface and covered. And these are the A holes that started it a house behind you sits higher than yours if he can see in your back yard then all he has to do is make a complant. you loose

Kinda chicken shit if you ask me- So how about car covers/tarps??? Has that been looked into?? And also the "grandfathered" in first? Sounds like a neighbor with a hard on in a bad way.

6LaSabra3
11-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Kinda chicken shit if you ask me- So how about car covers/tarps??? Has that been looked into?? And also the "grandfathered" in first? Sounds like a neighbor with a hard on in a bad way.
Yeah they have to be covered but be careful to not leave parts out, if they can see anything they can complain. Then you have the city/county down your back and yes the county adopted the same laws as the city a few years ago. Kinna funny we are a 99% RUN "CONSERVATIVE" run county so we cant even blame this BS on the wacko's

We can only have one project going at a time

Zombie Hot Rod
11-24-2009, 11:37 PM
NY is a free-for-all compared to CA.

J.Fishbeck
11-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Lawyers find ways to supercede excisting laws. Here's an example..We're "Allowed" to have a gun, but if you have any bullets accessible it's straight to jail you go. It's all about money for permits and cement for the ground now a days.

INVISIBLEKID
11-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Yeah they have to be covered but be careful to not leave parts out, if they can see anything they can complain. Then you have the city/county down your back and yes the county adopted the same laws as the city a few years ago. Kinna funny we are a 99% RUN "CONSERVATIVE" run county so we cant even blame this BS on the wacko's

That sucks-All it takes is one pie-hole looking out the window and making a phone call! I feel for you guys!

6LaSabra3
11-24-2009, 11:40 PM
We have year round places to go in all directions, but its a mutha to try and make it here

Mason
11-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Ain't that a bitch, your one of the few in Berdoo that obey the law and your D.A. enemy #1! What's up Jay this is Mason, long time hah, I see your life has also been taken over by this obsession we all try to pass off as a hobby. I have quite a collection too (mostly muscle cars) but a few that are HAMB friendly. I agree with a lot of these guy's we need to move to another state. I am afraid Sacramento's got plenty up their sleeve of things that will send me packing. I have heard everything from appraised value taxes on our classics to emission impact taxes because they need the money to pay for all their wonderful state programs to support all of our fellow aliens, "illegal" would be politically incorrect. So I think this situation that your encountering with our local officials are only a sign of what's to come.

6LaSabra3
11-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Lawyers find ways to supercede excisting laws. Here's an example..We're "Allowed" to have a gun, but if you have any bullets accessible it's straight to jail you go. It's all about money for permits and cement for the ground now a days.
Thats true but their's a ton of money coming from recycle'ing the power's in charge would rather crush it all.

White Trash Renegade
11-24-2009, 11:43 PM
I've got a neighbor that pulls the same shit with me at least 3 times a year. Hence the screen name! LOL!

wingnutz
11-24-2009, 11:50 PM
I'd be after you as well... until I could buy a 56 post off you!

Then I'd hang around for some extra parts.... !

I had a property that the county was basically rendering it "Unuseable" due to cars parked on dirt... so my buyer had to either concrete, blacktop a good portion of his land and the codes didn't allow for anymore permanant pavement for the size of his property!

So the buyer got a load of used "pavers" (bricks) for nothing and since pavers aren't considered "Permanent" he didn't violate any building or compliance codes plus he wouldn't be assessed more taxes for having permanet pavement.

Win... Win... Win...!

fisher_man_matt
11-24-2009, 11:57 PM
Just curious, do you pay storm water fees based on the impervious area of your property?

<FANG>
11-24-2009, 11:57 PM
I live in an apartment the only parking I have is on the streets
And a asswipe neighbor keeps calling parking enforcement
To chalk my tires so I have to move every other day
Itís because it doesnít look like his Cad Escalade
He claims it looks too junky

J.Fishbeck
11-25-2009, 12:01 AM
I have until the 3rd of next month to be up to par. I have to play there game for awhile, then I'll be back on mine. It's nice knowing so many people. We have a lawyer who has been riding by here since a little kid with his mother on the way to the Fedco store that used to be on the corner. People build cars and look forward to driving by here when it's done. I see it everyday..

J.Fishbeck
11-25-2009, 12:04 AM
Just curious, do you pay storm water fees based on the impervious area of your property?

Tax on tax on .. No, maybe I don't have it that bad

wingnutz
11-25-2009, 12:09 AM

Not on this piece of land... this was totally about developed square footage designed to allow Green space between structures and concrete or asphalt suddenly became "Developed land" where as "pavers" do not fall into developed land.

We were walking a thin line and the "powers that be"... let this slide much to the chagrin of the "Plaintiff" neighbor... but some neighborhood covenants do have restrictions to impervious surfaces... and pavers might be the answer there as well!

Another antidote if they have problems with the unlicensed autos on your property... although it may be costly... is to have the cars stored on trailers!

Somehow trailers aren't as environmentaly unstable as cars on dirt!

Just thinking outside the box for ya!!!!!!!!!

TUMBLEWEED GARAGE
11-25-2009, 01:48 AM
I live in upland my friend.. If my tennis shoes are dirty i get a warning..
My girlfriend lives in yucaipa.. I have a few cars stashed at her house.. No problems..
My shop is in ontario.. It's at the rear of a building with 2 other shops in front.. I got a warning from code enforcement because i have 4 tires stacked next to my shop.... The shop in front of me is a tire shop.. Hundreds of tires stacked... But........ No old cars in sight... Go figure.........

lostforawhile
11-25-2009, 01:57 AM
They can be parked on feathers! it does'nt matter!:mad:they were flying a helicopter over here looking for cars parked in peoples back yards.

outagas
11-25-2009, 02:03 AM

I agree with invisible kid. I have 9 cars on my property that are non op'd. You can't see them from the street. They are all either in garages (I have 2) or in a special backyard courtyard so they are outasite. I keep my front yard clean and trimmed.

If you want good neighbors, then be a good neighbor. I don't want to see somebodies "project" sitting in front of someones house for 10 years gathering spider webs. store it out of view of the neighborhood. Simple....but a lot of hillbillies don't get it. :confused:

LIFESTYLZ
11-25-2009, 02:55 AM
Well I am damn p-leased that I live in New Zealand.
We haven't been hit by this sort of shit yet.
But the Govt has just today passed a new "Emissions Trading Scheme" law.
It's all about Carbon Credits now. What a load of bull.
Just another scheme to scam money out of people.
Blame "Global Warming" if it even exists.
Which I doubt.

Boyd Who
11-25-2009, 03:17 AM
Sure glad I live where I do! I'd probably go postal if I had to deal with the crap some of you guys do.

rustynewyorker
11-25-2009, 03:26 AM
Is it hard to spread that patch cement stuff 1/2" thick? Maybe if you water it down some when you mix it?

Cause I assume just doing a wheelbarrow and putting enough of a patch for each of all four tires to sit on won't cut it. Although they would then be parked on concrete, living up to the letter of the law if not the spirit of it.

But it only has to look good long enough for an inspection or photos, so....

If they do come back tell 'em you hired a state contractor to do the job....

zzford
11-25-2009, 05:13 AM
Is it hard to spread that patch cement stuff 1/2" thick? Maybe if you water it down some when you mix it?

Cause I assume just doing a wheelbarrow and putting enough of a patch for each of all four tires to sit on won't cut it. Although they would then be parked on concrete, living up to the letter of the law if not the spirit of it.

But it only has to look good long enough for an inspection or photos, so....

If they do come back tell 'em you hired a state contractor to do the job....

How about plywood painted concrete gray? It would probably look like the real McCoy from a distance. Or just enough concrete for each tire to sit on?

safari-wagon
11-25-2009, 05:34 AM
This is the kind of issue that the SAN (SEMA Action Network) has been fighting for some time now.

These city/county officials harass us in the name of fighting "urban blight". SAN has stopped enactment of many state & local laws that called ANY inop car an eyesore & treated it as blight.

Perhaps if you contact them, they may have a suggestion or a contact that can help you.

Hooligan63
11-25-2009, 06:12 AM
To justify & verify(sounds like Don King already) this thread, I just have to say.. I have High School friends who are code enforcement employees an I know their vacation jobs of past are over, out citing people for any bullish like not having their the Hse. No. physically on the house itself. Okay, but what I would really like to know is if ANY of you have had any run ins with your local code enforements or District Attorneys in my case regarding your cars or anything else lately. They've been after us for decades. Yes, Decades. I think they want a car, for real. Code Enforcement has us on record that we are grandfathered in (since 1951) with pead gravel being acceptable to park our cars on (Fifteen 1955-1959 Chevys) But the District Attorneys office are pressuring us this time, to upgrade the parking surface w/ Cement or Black top. Our hearing is scheduled for early next month. Let me know whats up with you all out there!

I think I drove past your place a few times when I lived out in San Bernardino. You should notify SEMA about your issues

Hooligan63
11-25-2009, 06:20 AM
I live in upland my friend.. If my tennis shoes are dirty i get a warning..
My girlfriend lives in yucaipa.. I have a few cars stashed at her house.. No problems..
My shop is in ontario.. It's at the rear of a building with 2 other shops in front.. I got a warning from code enforcement because i have 4 tires stacked next to my shop.... The shop in front of me is a tire shop.. Hundreds of tires stacked... But........ No old cars in sight... Go figure.........

I live in Yucaipa also,and let me say this,the police out here aren't all that lenient. I had a truck that was cited because it sat on the street in front of my house for 10 days before I got it registered,and then cited two days later,and then again a week later,then the head gaskets blew and I took the top end apart to get the heads rebuilt. I wrote a sign and stuck it in the window that said "Do not ticket truck,owner is home and truck is not abandoned,please knock on door." So I started pushing it back and forth and washing it to make it look like I drove it until my parts came back and i could put the top end back together.No more citations. Funny thing is,I had a bit of a rusty '62 Monterey sitting in front of my house for months with a tarp over it and never once got cited for that one. Now I know most of the police and Sheriffs around here and they don't mess with me or my cars anymore. Luckily this town is well represented by classic car collectors and restorers,and has a once a month car show that goes for around 8 months plus a few smaller shows in between.

ty1295
11-25-2009, 06:27 AM
$1 concrete blocks under each tire, POW parked on concrete and should piss off the neighbors even more.

themodernartist
11-25-2009, 07:25 AM
$1 concrete blocks under each tire, POW parked on concrete and should piss off the neighbors even more.

ty1295,
You are the man!
Only problem with concrete blocks (I love it) or pouring a little Sackcrete under each tire is that some over zealous building inspector will want to know where was your building permit for your new parking pad(s). Great idea even if it is just to pull their chain.
Being a professional Artist, I wonder how I could just sign my name to the car and call it a piece of sculpture.
Peace,
Chaz

saints
11-25-2009, 07:48 AM
Man I just moved because of the sh!t....I recieved a couple 50 dollar homeowner ass. tickets for having cars parked in my drive for more than 48hrs....Thats bs so I just moved to owasso ok and have a couple of acres to build a shop and stash my ever growing cars

NHBandit
11-25-2009, 08:10 AM
I agree with invisible kid. I have 9 cars on my property that are non op'd. You can't see them from the street. They are all either in garages (I have 2) or in a special backyard courtyard so they are outasite. I keep my front yard clean and trimmed.

If you want good neighbors, then be a good neighbor. I don't want to see somebodies "project" sitting in front of someones house for 10 years gathering spider webs. store it out of view of the neighborhood. Simple....but a lot of hillbillies don't get it. :confused: You have got to be fuckin kidding me... Let's all hold hands and sing Kumbaya while we're at it... Not all of us can afford a special fuckin "backyard courtyard" Are you a car guy or part of the problem ? I'd love to see my neighbors project cars sitting out in front of their garages (being worked on preferably but it ain't my business). I guess my idea of being a good neighbor is VERY different than yours. I believe in minding my own fucking business, NOT being the lawn police and having a hissy fit if my neighbors grass is too high. Sorry for the rant but guys like you ARE the problem... Proud to be a NH hilbilly... "Live Free or Die"

CGkidd
11-25-2009, 08:17 AM
it probably has something to do with your "carbon footprint" being too big. Your cars are taking up area where trees can be growing. That's the new thing right? If you follow the logic of the "green" movement, the only logical conclusion would be to kill yourself so you would leave no carbon footprint at all. I grew up in the SF Bay Area and moved from there to Nampa Idaho 5 years ago and am thankful for doing it just because of crap like that. We do not even have to smog here.

Green in the IE? Used to be nothing but cactus and dirt, now its nothing but smog, houses and dirt. One of the reasons when I graduated in 90 I got out of Socal and now I only go back to visit on rare occasions. Sorry to hear about the problems with the city. Another reason I will never move back down.

ajmopar
11-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Interesting . . . Pea Gravel would seem to be the environmental choice as the ground can still absorb water through it, but they want you to pave or pour concrete to park your cars on.

Do you have to pay more property tax with more paved area on the property?

Just trying to follow the money and make some sense of this.

High Class Rat
11-25-2009, 08:57 AM
When your voters elect the likes of Nancy Pelosi and Barbara Boxer, what do you expect?

I'm not saying that zoning/code violations are not needed, some are, because some people "just don't get it". Most people don't buy a house (their largest investment) to live next to a junk yard. Be respectful to your neighbors, keep your projects out of sight, and the noise/odor level down.

With all of the counties/cities looking for additional revenue, homeowners getting cited for code violations will be on the increase (example, I was told that a neighbor was recently cited for painting the exterior of his house without pulling a permit..........).

If you decide to comply and pour a slab, remember, you will have to pull a permit and get inspections. That allows the inspector to enter onto your property. If you have any other visible violations, be sure to correct those before the inspector comes...... And if you hire a contractor, make sure he/she is licensed to do work in your city. When it rains, it often pours.

lamy_chop
11-25-2009, 09:13 AM

conservatives are just as wacko as liberals. this is a good case in point. they say they're all about personal freedoms and this whole "ownership society" but then they tell you can't do what you want with your own property because it might effect the value of your neighbors property. politicians (conservative or liberal, left or right) are only concerned with where the next buck can be squeezed from joe citizen.

Mazooma1
11-25-2009, 09:20 AM
can't a guy log onto the HAMB in the morning without hearing everyone's "expert" opinion about politics?

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z72/Mazooma1/political/SayNo-Politics_Full-1.jpg

ajmopar
11-25-2009, 09:25 AM
can't a guy log onto the HAMB in the morning without hearing everyone's "expert" opinion about politics?

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z72/Mazooma1/political/SayNo-Politics_Full-1.jpg

Don't view the thread then.

Mazooma1
11-25-2009, 09:27 AM

did you buy the Jalopy Journal from Ryan and the go and change the rules?

ajmopar
11-25-2009, 09:34 AM
While I am sure that this thread will get closed, I believe the original problem had to do with some H.A.M.B. friendly cars and a storage issue, and the storage issue led to some discussion of politics, which is inevitable.

Mike51Merc
11-25-2009, 09:49 AM
If the "powers that be" are green conscious, they probably want to prevent cars from leaking oil and gas into the earth. On the other hand, it's extremely anti-green to lay down impervious surfaces. Your gravel parking area is alot more environmentally friendly than a blacktop lot.

You've got to find out their motives if you're going to challenge this. If you've already been cited, then request a hearing. Get youself a lawyer that knows land-use issues.

kickstarts
11-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Rules:
1. No profanity in subject lines
2. No political/religious/racial posts
3. No Porn.

The rules are extremely easy to follow. You just have to want to follow them.

73RR
11-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Right on, AJ. There is simply no way to avoid politics in anything we do. Why? Because politicians have injected themselves, with our 'approval', into our daily lives and, very soon I'm afraid, our personal lives.

If you don't like being treated like a 4-yr old who can't/won't pick his toys and put them away, then your only option is to vote with your feet.

Right now property is cheap, come on up, I'll show ya around.

bobjob55
11-25-2009, 09:56 AM
I used to live in LaHabra cal. orange co.. they used to get a little pissy about non-op cars.. loved the beach,,, big bear,, and all that junk,, but there is way too many people... moved to AZ. 10 years ago,, found out that i love driving,, and riding my motorcycles more than i like sitting on freeways..I never new the thrill of just riding for over 100 miles or more till you have to put your feet on the ground at a stop sign... projects in your yard,, with no hassels... of course,, on the down side,, summer gets over 117 deg. dry rot tires, need a/c in your rides ect... winter mornings 37deg. but it's all good....my nearest nieghbor is 1/4 mi away... quite a culture shock from so. cal.. nearest fast food loint or gas, 9 miles away..can't stand going to my family's house anymore, tooo many people...now my air compressor and sterio can blast ay 3 am,, no one cares..

Special Ed
11-25-2009, 10:01 AM
While I am sure that this thread will get closed, I believe the original problem had to do with some H.A.M.B. friendly cars and a storage issue, and the storage issue led to some discussion of politics, which is inevitable.
Dude, you live in another country! This does not concern you. Now, GET OFF MY LAWN! :mad:

ajmopar
11-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Dude, you live in another country! This does not concern you. Now, GET OFF MY LAWN! :mad:

You think these problems only affect the U.S.? Your elitist attitude doesn't change the facts. Let's not get into a Canada U.S. conversation/argument, I'm outnumbered 10 to 1.

gearhead1952
11-25-2009, 10:16 AM
they were flying a helicopter over here looking for cars parked in peoples back yards.

Yep just started doing the same here in Denver. Had my stuff parked neatly in the backyard with a fence blocking street view. Property is 1/3 acre and basically double long with the cars on the back half. Got cited for "Repairing and dismantling vehicles" and vehicles not parked on "approved" surface. Ok so I moved the vehicles onto a concrete pad that held four of them, got cited again...this time for having "Inoperable vehicles" Had no choice but to move them to offsite storage. They would only give me 10 days at a time as I had asked for 60 days to do the work. I was cutting apart one and watched as a helicopter came straight down the property lengthwise flying low with a bright light on the bottom and a camera mounted on the front. I wanted to give them the one finger salute but knew things would only get worse if I did.

I always thought that what can't be seen is fine, not any more. Next door neighbor refused the inspector access to his backyard and so the inspector brought in the cops, three of them escorted the inspector into the backyard.

All I can say is watch out if you live in denver the code guys are either looking for revenue or trying to keep from having their department go away due to budget cuts in a bad economy.

flynbrian48
11-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Sounds like you want to let everybody know just how many old Chevy's you have. What's "pead" gravel? Pea gravel that's been urinated on for decades? Seriously, if all you need to to do is improve the lot, sell one of those tri fives and blacktop it. I have lots of stuff, but I try to keep things tidy, the view from the neighbors uncluttered. It's easier to try to get along.

wingnutz
11-25-2009, 10:24 AM
they were flying a helicopter over here looking for cars parked in peoples back yards.

I recently discovered that my neighbor has "Army Surplus Camo" hanging between some trees with several cars underneath! Honestly it looked like a thick brush clump!

Awesome idea and the only way a person can see anything is if they are trespassing... and at that point the trespasser can be prosecuted!;)

ragtop35
11-25-2009, 10:28 AM
A while back I lived in Houston where the sub division had deed restrictions. After receiving about a dozen letters about my trailer, they fined me and threatened to sue me in court. I talked to a lawyer and he said I was about to go to court and lose. They are going to say they tried to get you to go along and YOU forced them to sue you. He advised to make peace with them. I called their lawyer and begged forgivness. But I told their lawyer that my lawyer said as long as the trailer was hitched to my truck in the street, there was nothing they could do.
His reply "TRY ME, IF I HEAR OF YOU DRIVING DOWN THE STREET TOWING A TRAILER I WILL SUE YOU", in other words, we are going to win, regardless. I moved.

gearhead1952
11-25-2009, 10:32 AM
I recently discovered that my neighbor has "Army Surplus Camo" hanging between some trees with several cars underneath! Honestly it looked like a thick brush clump!

Awesome idea and the only way a person can see anything is if they are trespassing... and at that point the trespasser can be prosecuted!;)

Great idea. I wonder if I could get some army surplus trees to go with the camo. :D

Rich Venza
11-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Sounds like you want to let everybody know just how many old Chevy's you have. What's "pead" gravel? Pea gravel that's been urinated on for decades? Seriously, if all you need to to do is improve the lot, sell one of those tri fives and blacktop it. I have lots of stuff, but I try to keep things tidy, the view from the neighbors uncluttered. It's easier to try to get along.

Brian beat me to what I was wondering. If you love you Chevies to the point of owning a whole fleet of them, you should have the finincial resources to put some black top or cement down and put some car covers over them.
Of course you will probably need a permit to do that, then City Hall will say that you are covering too much ground and the water runoff will be a problem. Tryinf to solve one issue will usually open up others IF they just want to get you to clear the property.

BBTW...What is the zoning on this piece of property?

beernut
11-25-2009, 10:46 AM
In the area (slo,ca) there's a guy that has just been sentanced to JAIL for letting homeless people live on his ranch!!
the yuppy nighbors that built McMansions a mile away dont like his cars and trucks parked on his ranch and after trying to get him on anything they got him on housing not up to code,he took jail time instead of probation so the inspectors cant show up whenever they feel like it

unkledaddy
11-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Simple....but a lot of hillbillies don't get it. :confused:

I resemble that!

unkledaddy
11-25-2009, 11:07 AM

The new GREEN is the old RED

sgtlethargic
11-25-2009, 11:16 AM
I love these threads.

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
11-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Choppers flying over your house to spot old cars is now a thing of the past..Most cities, counties and other government organizations subscribe to Google and other intrusive satelite services that can read the lic. plate nember of your car from space while sitting at their desk. Google your address and you will see an image that is not as close up as what they can see with paid services.
Cementing or paving the area you park your cars on will require a permit which when completed will have the tax collector increasing your property tax. They have you by the testicles and will squeeze tighter till you give in..Next stop..The Judge....

Plowboy
11-25-2009, 11:41 AM
I am building a 44x29 foot addition onto my house and I didn't even have to get a building permit. I would have a hard time listening to someone who told me what I had to do in my own yard.....

Cornbinder, I live 10 miles from you and have 3 cars sitting out in the yard with no plates. I'd move to Cisco if I were you. ha ha ha

J.Fishbeck
11-25-2009, 12:46 PM

The DA Officer who issued the citing in person said, "The cars in the back have to be on cement" Coulda Shoulda Woulda, I wish I said "they were" to evoke a response. But I know they've seen 'em from the ghetto bird flying over. I flip em off EVERY time!

J.Fishbeck
11-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Interesting . . . Pea Gravel would seem to be the environmental choice as the ground can still absorb water through it, but they want you to pave or pour concrete to park your cars on.

Do you have to pay more property tax with more paved area on the property?

Just trying to follow the money and make some sense of this.

I would never pay them for a permit so they can charge me more in the end!
Pea gravel also lets the oil drain down . We've spent six hundred dollars here lately in pavers, cement & grass. It's not the money. It's that they cant see them from the street, and they continue(this is round three) to stir the pot!

ZRODZ
11-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Kinna funny we are a 99% RUN "CONSERVATIVE" run county so we cant even blame this BS on the wacko's

Well you could if you got your definitions correct.

Mr T body
11-25-2009, 01:11 PM
My ex-FIL used to build "sheds" on skids and use them to store things out of site. With them on skids and not permanent structures, he wasn't taxed on the sq footage, and occasionally dragged them to another area to show they are "mobile". The bigger things he put in old trailers (40ft tractor type) and dug them in to make them ground level. Kept the axles and tires on them in case someone came around looking.
Just passing along a few out-of-the-box solutions.

Billybobdad
11-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Those code enforcement people in the I.E. are savages they are there to produce revenue through fines & taking peoples property. They do, & lots of it. I have had to help a couple of people out of jams with them. It wasn't pretty to say the least. Once they have your number you are pretty much screwed. Plenty of out of work cement finishers out there right now. Call one! The more times code enforcement comes out the more crap they find to ding you on!

LowKat
11-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Think like Smokey Yunick......... Get a rule book, then bend it.

Where I live you can build a 10X12 (maximum) patio/cabana and/or storage building (including concrete floor) without a permit. It doesn't say that you can't have two buildings... (think connected). Also doesn't say that you have to build the actual building once you have the concrete. That gives you a 12X20 or 10X24 slab, perfect size for a car.

When living in SoCal, I wanted a 28X36 garage at the back of my 1 acre lot that had an existing home with a 2 car attached garage. San Diego county would approve it but my community association woudn't. Their ruling dictated the garage "must be attached to the existing dwelling, with the garage doors not facing the street"....

That would've turned my place into an added-on-to-looking-abortion.

I was a builder in those days so I got my crew together, poured the slab on Friday and by Sunday night I had a finished garage including paint, roofing and doors. I built it without obtaining a building permit. Couple weeks later I get a nasty letter from the community association and they notify the county.

The "as built" building permit cost me double. The community association's fine was $500 and I built a covered walkway attaching the garage to the house to conform to their "attached garage" rules. I couldn't have done this job with lawyers for quadruple what the fines cost.

It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than to get permission.

The post about the camo netting made me think of Cheech and Chong where they had a weed farm in the back yard. It had a tarp covering it that looked like a swimming pool from the air.

LIFESTYLZ
11-25-2009, 02:22 PM
A bit OT but was curious about all the "cement" talked about.
In NZ cement is a dry powder.
We use it to make "Concrete" to park cars on....

chubbie
11-25-2009, 02:28 PM
J.Fishbeck... i have room to store, you transport to Iowa... yup no joke!

wingnutz
11-25-2009, 05:11 PM
A bit OT but was curious about all the "cement" talked about.
In NZ cement is a dry powder.
We use it to make "Concrete" to park cars on....

Same here in Wisconsin... cement is an ingredient for which to make concrete.

That's like people calling a cake... Flour...!;)

If you don't mind the look of shipping containers... they're not considered permanent and hide everything but themselves!

desertratrodder
11-25-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm not to far from you in LA county, they are messing with me at my house.

No shipping containers allowed..that would be too easy for you to hide the cars.

The inspector lady told me I could put cars in sheds, as long as they were not over 120 square feet. I can put my parts in them too. They must be away from the property line by 5 or 6 feet, and 6 feet apart, not connected.

you could pop the front clips off some of the inop cars and put them in a shed. you get 7X17..most cars will fit in there.

She did not specify as to what the construction materials should be, etc. You could probably build a suitable box for a car for about $200 or less if you already have some materials. Around here, you can get used garage doors for $15 ea, cut them to size, paint them, and youre done.

if any run, or are close to running, get them operational.

It can be done.

willymakeit
11-25-2009, 05:52 PM
What about concrete pavers ?

rickkane
11-25-2009, 06:04 PM
I pass 4 houses in my neighborhood every that some kid of piece of crap always parked in the front yard. One guy has a olds cutlass dirt track car, one has a monster truck clone, one has a 69 Chevelle he's "restoring" and one has something under a tarp. What I cant understand is that everyone of these places is at least a 1 acre lot. No house is more than 100 feet from the street. Why cant they stick that shit in the backyard, instead of right at the street. The street looks like dogpatch. As far as the D.A. (retired)here goes, he owns more cars than me and he helps me work on mine.

Anderhart Speed
11-25-2009, 06:19 PM
It was my neighbor to the East of me for sure. Both neighbors on either sides sell cars illegally- - title jumping & not paying any tax at all. They're draining the economy an I'm the one they're after. I'm not feeling sorry for myself. I feel hopeless when illegal aliens have more leeway than me. It's just discouraging.

I hear ya, I ended up reading a government document on grants, and it literally states that if you are of a minority ethnicity or not a natural born citizen you are elligible for additional grants. What is so evil about being an honest, natural born, educated hard working white american male? Sorry, just venting for a second,

Hi!
11-25-2009, 06:32 PM
If you put your cars on trailers you would comply to code. We found once you comply it becomes a never ending list of bullshit. We always have done things enviromentaly correct and showed them many times. In the end the property we had now has a small housing track on it. It was easier to sell, than keep spending money on something the city wanted improved for "the good of the city" and a new street they wanted thru the property. You can say you can fight it but in the end they will piss you off enough and spend money you cant get back by staying. The shitter is when you fight one infraction they will find another. As I said before good luck.

Anderhart Speed
11-25-2009, 06:38 PM
hooligan63, your signature is great, I read it and just cracked up, lol

Hooligan63
11-25-2009, 07:32 PM

Why don't you go back and read the rules,it clearly states "NO POLITICS"

J.Fishbeck
11-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks for all the info! It's nice to have a source of info to go to!
Take a kid to a carshow..

Hooligan63
11-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Thanks for all the info! It's nice to have a source of info to go to!
Take a kid to a carshow..

Do you own your property flat out?

Junkbike
11-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Here in Louisville, all cars need a current tag even if they are on a trailer. recreational vehicles are OK. so now the street stock race car gets parked right in front of the complaining neighbors house.

patrick66
11-25-2009, 07:51 PM
Well you could if you got your definitions correct.

It's the Lefties that are the "do-gooder", government-in-your-face intrusive-types, believe me!

Ber-serk-ley, CA, is the ultimate example of this.

J.Fishbeck
11-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Do you own your property flat out?
Yep.. Since the 60's

plym_46
11-25-2009, 11:05 PM
We have had a rash of complaints regarding stuff parked in peoples yards. Boats, Campers, Motor homes, etc. Arose because on idiot on a corner lot parked his Motor Home in such a way that it blocked the sight lines at the intersection. People missed the stop sign or had to pull into the intersection to see if the way was clear. So after several town board meetings the town passed and ord stating the vehicles needed to be parked away from the street/rd, and on a permanent surface.

I have a couple trailers I have parked out of site from the road and early invisible from neighbors. But to comply with the ord, I purchased 4 2 by 10 by 10foot long pieces of treated lumber, layed them on the ground and placed the trailers on them. Code guy must have been snooping around on foot because I got a non compliance warning. Took some pictures of the situatioi, and the 30 year ground contact tagss stapled into the planks and went to the toen office. My first quest was what the code considered permanent. So without tipping my hand to much I asked if 30 years would be considered permanent. the clerk said she did't know, so I asked her who did, and she called her supervisor the town clerk. Repeated the question and she said that 30 years would satisfy the term. I said thank you, the I produced the pictures and asked her to certify that based on her interpretation of the term, that my trailers were parked on a permanent suface and asked he to discharge the warning.

Haven't heard anyting further and that was 5 years ago, so I guess if i live 25 more years, they will still be parked on a permanent surface.

Check your deed for any restrictions and codicles, written into the deed when you purchased the property. If your were in complience when you bought the property, and have not made any major changes rewuirig a permit from the local authority, you should be good to go until you sell it. Then it would be the new owner's deal to bring it up to current codes.

Hooligan63
11-26-2009, 06:59 AM
Yep.. Since the 60's

Fight it. There has to be some way to keep them out of your hair.

the SCROUNGER
11-26-2009, 07:27 AM
To justify & verify(sounds like Don King already) this thread, I just have to say.. I have High School friends who are code enforcement employees an I know their vacation jobs of past are over, out citing people for any bullish like not having their the Hse. No. physically on the house itself. Okay, but what I would really like to know is if ANY of you have had any run ins with your local code enforements or District Attorneys in my case regarding your cars or anything else lately. They've been after us for decades. Yes, Decades. I think they want a car, for real. Code Enforcement has us on record that we are grandfathered in (since 1951) with pea gravel being acceptable to park our cars on. But the District Attorneys office are pressuring us this time, to upgrade the parking surface w/ Cement or Black top. Our hearing is scheduled for early next month. Let me know whats up with you all out there!

it's time to move, dude...to another state

low-n-slo54
11-26-2009, 09:39 AM
I've got a neighbor that pulls the same shit with me at least 3 times a year. Hence the screen name! LOL!

you must live near me then. i have the same neighbors excpet they complain to the police about my caskets.

unkledaddy
11-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Anymore it seems the norm for a sub-division to be built next to a race track or junkyard that's been there for 50 years or more, and once the new homeowners are in they sue to get the "Violator" shut down. WTF?? Bass-ackwards ain't it?

"Permits?...........we don't need no steenkin' permits!!"

plym_46
11-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Same folks who move in near the airport then complain about the noise............

theHIGHLANDER
11-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Fight it bro. Loud and hard. I saw the reference to the title jumpers but you need to prove that, and in fact it will take away from what your rights are and cloud the issue. Stay focused and visit your local library. Look up all the codes and amendments that favor and protect you. Present them at your hearing and don't get trapped into arguing over anything else. Stay on track. Judges don't like their time wasted or to be made fools of by 'officials' who don't know their jobs. If you have some old statements or estimates of improvements from the past that you 'can't afford' right now it shows intent and respect for the property that surrounds yours. I'm assuming you have a decent reputation and some history behind you as well. Use it.

I never subscribed to the thinking that you can't fight city hall. You OWN city hall. Good luck. I can't stand to see industrious and creative people (like hotrodders) get fucked with by others who don't have a clue and who's last original thought died of loneliness.

J.Fishbeck
11-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Fight it bro. Loud and hard. I saw the reference to the title jumpers but you need to prove that, and in fact it will take away from what your rights are and cloud the issue. Stay focused and visit your local library. Look up all the codes and amendments that favor and protect you. Present them at your hearing and don't get trapped into arguing over anything else. Stay on track. Judges don't like their time wasted or to be made fools of by 'officials' who don't know their jobs. If you have some old statements or estimates of improvements from the past that you 'can't afford' right now it shows intent and respect for the property that surrounds yours. I'm assuming you have a decent reputation and some history behind you as well. Use it.

I never subscribed to the thinking that you can't fight city hall. You OWN city hall. Good luck. I can't stand to see industrious and creative people (like hotrodders) get fucked with by others who don't have a clue and who's last original thought died of loneliness.

"I saw the reference to the title jumpers but you need to prove that, and in fact it will take away from what your rights are and cloud the issue. Stay focused.

I have convinced my Uncle of the same thing. You give them "Higher Moral Values" over you. Hot Rodders are some of the smartest people I have ever met. Thats why I appreciate ALL your input! Thanks

J.Fishbeck
11-26-2009, 12:54 PM
it's time to move, dude...to another state

No way.. I'll still be here when they all have different jobs. You have to see past them. Never lay down for anybody. America would be stronger if people used their being to stand up. Trust

lowburban
11-26-2009, 12:57 PM
The system functions on the premise that we don't fight the system or knw all the "rules". Like theHighlander said learn the rules and then use them against them.

Special Ed
11-26-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm going to throw something at you that will work. I've had personal experience with this issue. I hold a California contractor's license. This is not a structural issue. There is no minimum requirement regarding thickness of the "cement" or concrete that they say you need. Mix a bag with about six times the water that it would normally take (consistency of thick tomato juice), and pour it in 8'x 18' sections. Move your cars onto the new "slabs". You are now in compliance.
Even though you are only about 1/8" thick, you my friend, are legal...

holeshot
11-26-2009, 01:40 PM
FISHBECK...man just move to good old texas, hell man we even run lakesters on the street. actually i've seen all 8 exaust runing streight pipes. and no we don't put cow horns on the hood. ( ANY MORE ) and we don't have cement here.O.K. that's a lie, there is a little on the freeways...POP.

McDeuce
11-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Most of these guys are trying to do their jobs and follow the rules. If they dont write it up and someone complains they get yelled at. It is the cities and counties we all need to talk to about these laws. I have gotten more involved in attending city meetings to make sure a Hot Rodders point of view is heard. I even got brave enough to get a few topics added to the city agenda. I started writing letters to my local polititians to express a car guys point of view. Problem seems to be all these agencies react to the squecky wheel and some stay at home ladies are very worried about the beauty of the city and could car less about our love of cars.

So lets take up the fight ... write letters, attend city hall meetings and get the thoughts and opinions of car people out their.

Hot Rods Ta Hell
11-26-2009, 02:46 PM
"Code Enforcement has us on record that we are grandfathered in (since 1951) with pea gravel being acceptable to park our cars on. But the District Attorneys office are pressuring us this time, to upgrade the parking surface w/ Cement or Black top. Our hearing is scheduled for early next month. Let me know whats up with you all out there!"

Like Highlander said; fight it if you're truly Grandfathered in.
All you can do is lose and then you'll be up for paving.
FWIW, asphalt is fairly cheap to have laid down (compared to concrete) if you're graded and ready to go. Lay a big asphalt square and park em door handle to door handle. Maybe seel off a couple of the cars you can live without and that'll pay for the paving.

rustynewyorker
11-26-2009, 02:55 PM
It's the Lefties that are the "do-gooder", government-in-your-face intrusive-types, believe me!

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Doesn't matter if it's the anal retentive left or the anything to make a buck right. That's why even though codes and laws is a somewhat political discussion, arguing one side or the other is kind of pointless. With some rare exceptions they're all assholes who should probably be lined up and shot and make the world a better place.

Some codes people you can make back down, when they see you're going to get out the law book, learn it better than they know it, and not take their shit laying down, they tend to move on to easier targets. They're just bullies and usually can't take the heat. If I was really pissed I'd find out where the codes guys live and check out their property and report them for any violations.

Personally I like the idea of pouring 1/8" of concrete, that was my original thought earlier in the thread. You move stuff over that or let it sit a winter it's going to crack and suck up oil just like pea gravel, anyways.

Left Turn
11-26-2009, 03:16 PM
I kinda like Nebraska... Nobody flys over the house to see how many dead cars and tractors we have, nobody cares about the deck, building, and pillared gates we put up with out permits....

Then again we've got about 10 acres away from the city...

But they do try and rape us on property taxes, even though we don't have nat. gas, city water, cable, paved roads, really we don't even have fire protection either... City water stops a 1/2 mile away, that's where the hydrant is...

I could never live in the city, do much political bull shit and to many people I probably wouldn't care for...

mkilger
11-26-2009, 03:21 PM
get an attorney,and fight. good luck

ems customer service
11-26-2009, 03:27 PM
its not about code viloations it is about the district attorney justifing his job and all the people they have, and it also keeps his laywer buddies busy, they do it in cleveland all the time.

use this federal case ADVANCE \d 5 SEQ CHAPTER \h \r 1192 Fed.Appx. 330, 2006 Fed.App. 0479N; [U] Jacob v. Township of West Bloomfield,; 6th Cir. 07/10/2006
[1] UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE SIXTH CIRCUIT
[2] No. 05-1647
#[3] 192 Fed.Appx. 330, 2006 Fed.App. 0479N, 2006.C06.0000738
[4] July 10, 2006
[5] WILLIAM JACOB, PLAINTIFF-APPELLEE, v. TOWNSHIP OF WEST BLOOMFIELD; MICHAEL C. KILLIAN, IN HIS INDIVIDUAL AND OFFICIAL CAPACITIES; LARRY RUSHING, IN HIS INDIVIDUAL AND OFFICIAL CAPACITIES, DEFENDANTS-APPELLANTS.

in short the buidling inspectors were tresspassing when they did the inspection, and mr jacob's shoved up there rear end with violations of search and siezure.

alot of buidling inspectors violate this law

Hooligan63
11-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Most of these guys are trying to do their jobs and follow the rules. If they dont write it up and someone complains they get yelled at. It is the cities and counties we all need to talk to about these laws. I have gotten more involved in attending city meetings to make sure a Hot Rodders point of view is heard. I even got brave enough to get a few topics added to the city agenda. I started writing letters to my local polititians to express a car guys point of view. Problem seems to be all these agencies react to the squecky wheel and some stay at home ladies are very worried about the beauty of the city and could car less about our love of cars.

So lets take up the fight ... write letters, attend city hall meetings and get the thoughts and opinions of car people out their.

Problem is,most of them don't exactly know what the rules entail and just start handing out citations,it happens all the time in California. I know many local Sheriffs and Police Officers,and they're surprised when I know about some laws they weren't quite clear on.

mkilger
11-27-2009, 12:12 AM
I had them come down on me, they said that all the cars have to run. then I ask them if a could put my non running cars on my car trailers, they said no they have to run?? In my yard I cant have a non running car in my yard on my own car trailer. I told her that she was wrong,(she didnt like that) next she wanted me to sign a property inprovement plan, I told her that I would have to have my attorney look it over, that the last i have heard from them that was 8 months ago. i know 2 people in Riverside county that are sueing the county over there cars, both are in the millions lets wish them luck. whats funny is that you can have an old boat in your yard, but no old cars or parts, put they sure like to see them at cars show though. any body in Riverside having a hard time with code, get an attorney, and please call me 909-888-9045 thanks mike

sololobo
11-27-2009, 07:00 AM
Man alive!! That is shit load of bow ties. Maybe a vintage dealership sign installed would fake them out. Good luck with your delima. Have you seen the t.v. show on hoarding?? Some sickness are in-cureable!! ~Sololobo~

LOW LID DUDE
11-27-2009, 07:22 AM
Wow great collection of cool cars!Tell them it is a outdoors classic car museum!and charge them admission to come on your property.

66Coronet440
11-27-2009, 08:04 AM
Come to Mass and you'll realize how good you have it.

unkledaddy
11-27-2009, 10:21 AM
its not about code viloations it is about the district attorney justifing his job and all the people they have, and it also keeps his laywer buddies busy.

Self-perpetuating Gubmint generating revenue.

If this kinda' crap had gone down right after the Revolutionary War...........there'd have been another Revolutionary War.

plym_46
11-27-2009, 11:40 AM
The other way to go about it is to enlist the help of the elected local official from your district, ward. precint or what ever the sub division might be. If you are a tax paying business in good standing with a couple of employees, and you papers are up to date and fees and assesments all paid up. Get a hold of the guy or woman, and have a conversation about how the added expense of this unnecessary hardship will lead you to lay off a couple employees, and may even lead you to look for another location, removing the property from the tax rolls in his /her district. Most of them will take up your cause to keep folks employed, keep voters happy, and keep people employed. Doesn't the DA have anything better to do than worry about parkinng areas???? Aren't there drug sellers and methlabs and deadbeat dads, and medicaid defrauders he should be worried about????

ZRODZ
11-27-2009, 12:47 PM

Since when has a "do-gooder" been a wacko? and why?

Special Ed
11-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Quote:
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by patrick66 http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/hamb/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4600757#post4600757)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
"Since when has a "do-gooder" been a wacko? and why?"

Because some folks on this forum do not have the intelligence to have an adult discussion without name-calling...

theHIGHLANDER
11-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Another thought to add to this. Just as an effort to get your head around their actions, since someone filed a complaint on you you're put into the position of a "defendant" and your position right or wrong will immediately jade the inpector/officer's actions accordingly. The 1st action to contest is just that, you being put into that position. This is where it pays to know your rights and codes so you can quote 'chapter and verse' to that person giving them the required knowledge and support needed to tell the person who filed the complaint to fuck off and leave you alone. Well, we wish they'd say fuck off but you get the idea. Once filed though you gotta fight it. No choice.

fab32
11-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Just read this whole thread and that should indicate how bored I am. One thought.............do you own a gun? No, I'm not advocating using it to solve your current problem. It's just another component of taking our country back. Keep all of this bullshit in mind the next time you walk into a voting booth (You do vote don't you?). Get your neighbors and friends EDUCATED about the issues, then vote. Next year we'll have the opportunity to bring about change that will reverse some of this bullshit and it will NOT put our country indebt for the next few generations, enslaving our granchildren and greatgrandshildren but rather put us back on the path that our founders anticipated for our country.
I can't wait to see how long this post will last. Only the furture will reveal how OT it REALLY is.

Frank

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
11-27-2009, 03:25 PM
This thread is not about the Radical Right or the Looney Left. Let stick with his parking problem...

Special Ed
11-27-2009, 03:48 PM
....absent the control issues of busybody neighbors and too much 'guv'ment, (insert your lable here), he ain't got a parking problem.................
That's helpful...

patrick66
11-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="border: 1px inset ;" class="alt2">Originally Posted by patrick66 http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/hamb/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4600757#post4600757)

</td></tr></tbody></table>
"Since when has a "do-gooder" been a wacko? and why?"

Because some folks on this forum do not have the intelligence to have an adult discussion without name-calling...

Sorry, dude, the truth hurts. Look at any town that has a code-enforcement nazi, and I can nearly guarantee that that city is NOT run by conservatives. It's the way it is. No name-calling, just truth. Life's a bitch, then they take your shit.

J.Fishbeck
11-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Man alive!! That is shit load of bow ties. Maybe a vintage dealership sign installed would fake them out. Good luck with your delima. Have you seen the t.v. show on hoarding?? Some sickness are in-cureable!! ~Sololobo~

This "Hoarding" problem has people always willing to gladly come and take this "JUNK" of my hands. I don't know why that would be?! The phone rings none stop, like it's the parts hotline an I'm Fred G. Sanford!

J.Fishbeck
11-27-2009, 05:48 PM
This thread is not about the Radical Right or the Looney Left. Let stick with his parking problem...

Thank you, I regret starting this thread when people cant refrain from typing, what some might be thinking, but just "isn't" worth repeating.

mkilger
11-27-2009, 05:48 PM
hay fishbeck, how your Dad, and uncle doing these days? used to see them all the time when I was in Berdo. Still have your bitchen 57?

rustynewyorker
11-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Sorry, dude, the truth hurts. Look at any town that has a code-enforcement nazi, and I can nearly guarantee that that city is NOT run by conservatives. It's the way it is. No name-calling, just truth. Life's a bitch, then they take your shit.

I'll lay odds the chances that a town with a dickhead codes guy being run by the left or the right are about the same either way. A bully is a bully, regardless of their political orientation. It's true that by definition you would expect it more from the left, but applying logic to things like this is risky at best.

Mazooma1
11-27-2009, 06:18 PM
The code enforcer is just enforcing the codes. He/she doesn't make the laws.

mkilger
11-27-2009, 06:31 PM
1/2 the time they are wrong about the law and your rights. But I do understand there jobs. But dont say you are going to take my parts and cars if I dont put them away. more people leave Caif than the people born here everyday.

J.Fishbeck
11-27-2009, 08:22 PM
hay fishbeck, how your Dad, and uncle doing these days? used to see them all the time when I was in Berdo. Still have your bitchen 57?

Same Ol Same..

6LaSabra3
11-27-2009, 08:38 PM

Sorry but like I posted before Bakersfield and Kern county are run by 99% conservatives I'll say republican if ya want and we have people out everyday lookin for an old car parked a backyard.
Neither party is concerned about our rights.

1941ihkb5
11-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Time to move the bisnuess, then turn the property into a half-way house for released sex offenders. I hate the city!

oilslinger53
11-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Ever been to san marino?

Special Ed
11-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Ever been to san marino?
Yes...That's a very good example. Too bad others on here continuely ignore the facts. :cool:

Mazooma1
11-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Ever been to san marino?

I live about three miles from San Marino...the cops are more like valets for the rich dorks that live there. It is the most conservative city anywhere around here. You can almost hear Fox News blaring out of every open window. The whole world revolves around them, just ask them. In their park, there are signs that say that only residents can enjoy the park. So if you live across the street in Pasadena and go over to the park to read a book you can be arrested. Up until a few years ago, if you were driving a commercial vehicle (plumber, carpenter,etc.,) and were not a resident, you could get a ticket if you were driving between 10PM and 6AM. The courts told them that they could no longer ticket people for driving on public roads (duh)
TO THIS DAY you cannot take your trash cans out to the street on trash pickup day. The trash men go into your backyard, get your trash cans, empty them into the truck, and bring them back behind your house. And, of course, you have to pay a hefty price for that. They do not want their wonderful city to have it's appearance spoiled with trash cans in front of the houses for a day.
You couldn't use the word "liquor" on a sign at the liquor stores. The law said it had to read "house of spirits"...no kidding.
Nothing more ugly than a whole GD city full of rich, obnoxious, holier than thou, self-serving, Porsche, BMW, MB driving snobs..you won'y find any Detroit iron sitting in their driveways.

A Rodder
11-28-2009, 10:53 AM
When I opened my business, I got a letter from the city that I needed to comply with a list of improvements to meet the city's minimum development standards. Anytime a change of use occurs at a particular property this happens.
Some of the things were ridiculous. Adding a bike rack, marking parking stripes, had to take out one of my entrences that was to close to the corner, pay to have it replaced with sidewalk, put slats in my cyclone fence that was around the backside of the property to obscure it. Also had to put in a $550 filter in the storm drain. I fought it for over 14 months, on the basis of what I was doing was auto related and did not constitute a change of use. I kind of thought I had it dealt with, just kept asking for extensions, then I just left it for a few months, finally got a notice, had seven days to turn in the paper along with the $800 app fee. Followed with 30 days to do the work. I did it. All in all it cost me about $6000.

Had a friend go thru an issue at his residence. A city official came to him and asked if he could go in his back yard to look to his neighbors area, his neighbor has shit all over his front and back yard, so he didn't think anything of it. After seeing his 15 or so cars behind a wood gate, completely obcured, he is now on the hit list, every thing but one has to be licensed, nothing in the carports, or on trailers. Every time she comes out to check him off he has everything dealt with, she finds something else. He had a truck with scrap in it to take to the scrap, he called her to come out and she had already driven by earlier that day and seen it and said she wouldn't pass him because of it. The even pulled his property up on google earth. His property is on a road with three houses on it surrounded by industrial businesses, and zoned industrial.

The shit won't stop until a judge decides.
I read about 80 percent of the thread before posting, is there any update on the situation, or how you attorney is liking your chances? Good luck. Joe

Xdrag48
11-28-2009, 11:09 AM

My friend that is in the zoning dept here where i live says(In the eyes of the law)your pictures on here show that they are not on pea gravel.And said you should scrape off the grass and put in a parking area with pea gravel before court.
New pictures with all the cars on the pea gravel makes you case stronger than seeing them sitting on grass (it dosent matter if there is pea gravel there with the grass growing up thru it .In court it is always going to look like grass in the pictures to a judge) So if you are grandfathered in you need to be up to code is what he said,all pea gravel.(no grass in parking areas,no cars off pea gravel and you should be up to code)
A picture says a lot to the judge.If he see all cars on pea gravel with no grass under them and knows you are grandfathered in,you should have no problems.

(Please note that i am not trying to be a jerk,just trying to help you with your problem.Thats why i ask my friend that does this kind of stuff for a living)

Good luck,
Steve

Buick59
11-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Sorry, no drivers for sale.. 56 Bel Air 2dr Sedan Project only

I feel your pain, I live in Chino and the city has been on top of my ass for months now! They told me Im not allowed to even work on my car in the driveway!

Somebody in code enforcement has a hardon for me, they check my house all the time. California is bankrupt, and they are looking for every means possible to squeeze the citizens of the sate for every penny they can.

bulletproof1
11-28-2009, 11:26 AM
i had a old bag from 2 streets over call about my company truck parked in front of my house.she went around and asked everyone on my street about it ,they all like me cause i fix the crap...one of them came over and told me she was spooping around. not long after i get a letter from the city...

lamy_chop
11-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Yep just started doing the same here in Denver. Had my stuff parked neatly in the backyard with a fence blocking street view. Property is 1/3 acre and basically double long with the cars on the back half. Got cited for "Repairing and dismantling vehicles" and vehicles not parked on "approved" surface. Ok so I moved the vehicles onto a concrete pad that held four of them, got cited again...this time for having "Inoperable vehicles" Had no choice but to move them to offsite storage. They would only give me 10 days at a time as I had asked for 60 days to do the work. I was cutting apart one and watched as a helicopter came straight down the property lengthwise flying low with a bright light on the bottom and a camera mounted on the front. I wanted to give them the one finger salute but knew things would only get worse if I did.

I always thought that what can't be seen is fine, not any more. Next door neighbor refused the inspector access to his backyard and so the inspector brought in the cops, three of them escorted the inspector into the backyard.

All I can say is watch out if you live in denver the code guys are either looking for revenue or trying to keep from having their department go away due to budget cuts in a bad economy.

now that's just wasteful!!!! you might get a few hundred dollars in fines, while the cost of operating the helicopter is roughly around $1100-$1200/hr. unless they intend to fine almost everyone in the city, it's hard to justify using it. not trying to sound political with this one or my last one, this is more about fiscal responsibility with your local gov't.

cali707sf
11-28-2009, 05:14 PM
OMG... Yes I had a 1964 Impala SS parked in my drive way (car covered) and a 1958 Impala parked in the back side yard of the house behinde a fence...

I was cited and told a non running car has to be in a "Legal structure" or has to be able to be fully functional within 15 days...

I had to tow the 58 to my sisters garage... and send the 64 to a body shop (i had planed on doing it anyways)

and at the time i had just bought my current project (1949 Chevy truck)... but it runs... though i have issues with the halfass s10 swap that was done by the previous owner....

anyways... yes California is getting crazy with its laws... and Cali can't get any strictor on the automotive paints we are allowed to use... soon we'll have to get our cars and trucks painted out of state...

crazynessssssss

lamy_chop
11-28-2009, 05:39 PM
soon we'll have to get our cars and trucks painted out of state...

they'll find a way to fine you for that too i'm sure. cali can fall off the face of the earth for all i care, along with a few other states for that matter.

Mazooma1
11-28-2009, 05:43 PM
they'll find a way to fine you for that too i'm sure. cali can fall off the face of the earth for all i care, along with a few other states for that matter.

...of course anyone can get their cars painted anywhere they want to. I had one of our fire engines painted in another location and it saved $5,000...oh, and don't turn this into another I hate California thing.

Special Ed
11-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Do you live here? NO! Why do others continually bash California? If you don't live in a place, how can you make an honest assessment of it? If there was no California, you would not have a computer to bitch about this. Nor would you have the bluejeans that you are wearing, along with thousands of other things. Lighten up.
Don't judge a man, until you've walked a mile in his shoes...:(

J.Fishbeck
11-28-2009, 11:23 PM
OMG... Yes I had a 1964 Impala SS parked in my drive way (car covered) and a 1958 Impala parked in the back side yard of the house behinde a fence...

I was cited and told a non running car has to be in a "Legal structure" or has to be able to be fully functional within 15 days...

I had to tow the 58 to my sisters garage... and send the 64 to a body shop (i had planed on doing it anyways)

and at the time i had just bought my current project (1949 Chevy truck)... but it runs... though i have issues with the halfass s10 swap that was done by the previous owner....

anyways... yes California is getting crazy with its laws... and Cali can't get any strictor on the automotive paints we are allowed to use... soon we'll have to get our cars and trucks painted out of state...

crazynessssssss

Is that truck like a light robbins egg blue, S10 subframe w/ a 12 bolt rearend/four bars & coil overs?

Hooligan63
11-29-2009, 06:45 AM

Wow,didn't you guys sink like the Titanic a while back? Don't start on Cali,because you won't like what I have to say about New Orleans. Cali is a great state if you can look past all the BS. Weather almost year around that you can cruise a convertible in around So. Cal.,and some of the most scenic places to cruise if you know where to go. And some of the most diverse cultures around.

wsdad
11-29-2009, 10:02 AM
I have a junky old parts car that I store in my back yard. I rob parts off of it for my real project at my leisure. The neighbors rightly complained about it.

MY SOLUTION:

Total investment: $18.00 and 1/2 weekend.

I got some free privacy fence panels from someone who was replacing theirs. There were enough good ones in the pile to build a mini 6 foot tall privacy fence all the way around my car in the back yard. I left enough room on the sides and especially in the front to work on it. I didn't bother putting posts in the ground. I merely nailed the panels together so that the end panels kept the side panels from falling over and then triangulated them with spare boards from the fence.

Around here, Code Enforcement needs a search warrant to step on your land. They can, however, get your neighbor's permission to peer over their privacy fence with a ladder.

My privacy fence needed a roof. So I nailed some support 2x4's across the top for support, laid some fence panels on top of them, and nailed them in place. If I had cared about the car and wanted to keep the rain off of it, I'd have draped a brown tarp across the 2x4's first before nailing the privacy fence panels on top of them.

The roof is about 6 inches lower than the tops of the side panels so that when you look at it from the street or my neighbor's house, it just looks like another privacy fence, instead of a structure. A proper building would have required some sort of codes and permits, I'm sure.

No one can see weather I have an old car, captive emus, or 200 boxes of Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots in there. Since code enforcement doesn't know if it's a car, they don't know if I should have a concrete slab or not. Since it looks like privacy fence, my neighbors are happy and don't complain. It looks like it belongs there because it looks like their yards. It's a kind of "urban camouflage."

The front roof panel over the engine is loose so I can prop it up with a couple of 2x4's when I'm working on it. (similar to raising a hood with a couple of prop rods on either side). That provides head room and light. It opens away from the street so no one can peer in.

The dogs have claimed it as their new mansion.

I hope that might give someone some ideas to solve their dilemmas.

Johnny99
11-29-2009, 10:55 AM
I know this is not the place for politics, but I would like to thank Mazooma & LaSabra for speaking out about the hypocrisy of a certain segment of our political asylum. Back to task, there are two old cliches that play into this discussion, #1 " There is no place like home" [sounds like Fishbeck has been in the same spot for a long time and likes it] # 2 You cant fight city hall", this typically takes deep pockets and only seems to work out for developers & big buisness. My suggestion Fishbeck, sell off a couple of those cars and build yourself something NICE, [how about a shop:)] It would help take the sting out of parting with some of your stuff! I thinned out my herd awhile back, yep I miss it sometimes but it has helped me focus on the stuff I kept! Remember, if you build something half assed in your back yard you will draw more attention to yourself not less! Just suggestions I might get kicked in the nuts for, oh well. Good luck, hope it works out for you. John

lostforawhile
11-29-2009, 11:50 AM
a lot of these laws are designed to try and stop the old car hobby, if you can't work on them,you can't build them. This isn't the united states anymore when people fly over your property telling you what you can,and can't do on your own land.

Mazooma1
11-29-2009, 12:02 PM
They are not designed to eliminate the car hobby. The codes are designed to eliminate what most people feel is "blight". Many people think that motorhomes, boats, and hobby cars "under-construction" are an eyesore. Thats why these codes are passed.
Some communities require that only certain colors can be used when you paint your house. I know someone who was fined by their homeowners association for not having a lawn. If you are one of those people that want to live in a cookie-cutter bland community, then these places are for you.
I choose to not live in a community that has HOA's. From what I've heard, there is more backstabbing politics that goes on the a HOA meeting than at any city hall.

29nash
11-29-2009, 12:27 PM
People that consider motor homes and cars in the back yard of a neighbor as a problem, are fuckin' busybodies.

Fuckin' busybodys know no political boundries.
Lame-brains, on both sides blame the other side for the problems our coutry are having. Selfish, short-sighted people, spoiled by easy living, with too much time on their hands are the main causes of our problems.

The worst ones are the ones that look upon the neighborhood as "theirs" wanting cookie cutter neighbors. They somehow imagine they have the right to dictate a neighbor's activity. They to be looked upon with pity. They are selfish, sad, incomplete, and can't comprehend, even to the point of envy, somebody that don't sweat the small shit.

Anybody that signs onto a HOA when buying a house are among the selfish, lazy, poumpous, that imagine in their pea-sized brains that their way of thinking is right. It is self-serving, anti-social, and outright selfish. Nothing is going to change that. The only hope is their offspring will realize the vacuum they are living in is not acceptable, that neighbors are important to them. Then possibly in the coming generations our country will get back to being friendly, not alien, to our neighbor.

Any solution varies with the specific circumstance. It's not necessary to change them. All I can do is sound off, and as an individual, just get them off MY back and tone down, on their activist behavior. There is an old saying, fight fire with fire. At 72 with some experience in the game, I can usually figure out a way to outsmart them, using my intellect and audacity to find out who they are, then turn their shallow and pitiful activity back on them. Most times, they retreat and leave me alone. It don't always work. In my lifetime I have moved a couple of times to escape, because the pompous assholes outnumbered me.
In a neighborhood where city employees drive around "enforcing", where the majority of the population there continue to vote in the same old knuckle-heads, I would certainly remove myself, pronto. I have done that on occasion. :D

If you can't beat them, join them, or move..............There are still places to live in this country where people get along with their neighbors.:cool:

Mazooma1
11-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Everyone ought to be better educated BEFORE they move ANYWHERE.
If there are laws/codes that do not appeal to you, then do not move there.
Don't expect "them" to change longstanding laws/codes just for you.

The same can be said about the people who want airports, factories, race tracks, etc. to be shut down even though those establishments have been in operation for years and probably pre-date the construction of your house. If you move next to something that makes noise and/or anything else that displeases you, don't go bitching to city hall.
As an adult, you are responsible for your decisions. Don't expect a neighborhood to change for you and if there is any type of activity in the area that might make you unhappy (race track, factory, etc.) don't expect those activities to magically shut down because you are unhappy.

Buyer beware...do your homework before you move.

theHIGHLANDER
11-29-2009, 12:33 PM
"If you can't beat them, join them, or move"

That's exactly the kind of defeat they're looking for. There's very little positive sentiment in your statement that helps one deal with a problem that exists for many of us in all 50 states.

There's something else I've done in the past with success. It's rediculous, impossible to prove or disprove, and it's just as much within one's right to do so. I have an uncontrollable fear of golf clubs, bowling balls, motorhomes and boats. That includes travel trailers. All of my neighbors need to rid themselves of these things to stop me from filing complaints against them. I would agree to try and manage my fears if they'd leave me alone as I work through the 'therapy' of my old car hobby. Like I said it's a crazy thing and nobody has a right to tell you what you can fear or not fear. Dad and I used this rationale when it came time to build a 3 1/2 car garage and the neighbors tried to stop us. The city granted our permit and that garage still stands today (since the 70s).

JaggedEdge
11-29-2009, 12:44 PM
wow!!!! Thanks guys... you have made me feel a LOT better about living in the toolies.
I sometimes dream wistfully about the Cali lifestyle and climate, Now I am happy to live out in the middle of nowhere.
Only drawback... we have the same (P.I.C.) "illegal" problem here. I live in a town that has a meat packing plant .

My fav. quote...." calling an illegal imigrant an "undocumented worker" is like calling a crack dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"."

Mazooma1
11-29-2009, 12:45 PM
don't feel bad, some places call looters, "unconventional shoppers"

lamy_chop
11-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Do you live here? NO! Why do others continually bash California? If you don't live in a place, how can you make an honest assessment of it? If there was no California, you would not have a computer to bitch about this. Nor would you have the bluejeans that you are wearing, along with thousands of other things. Lighten up.
Don't judge a man, until you've walked a mile in his shoes...:(

i lived in san diego for 4 years and there are millions of reasons why i don't live there anymore.

as for the issues with new orleans, no it ain't perfect, but at least it's real.
i'm not saying anything about anyone on this board personally as i don't know anyone enough for that, but with all the b.s. in cali, i don't care what the weather is, whether or not i can surf this morning and then go snow skiing this afternoon or how perfect anyone says it is there, i value my personal freedom more than any of those things. if i own my home, i'm not going to have someone tell me what color i can paint it or whether or not i can have a project vehicle in my back yard or use a power tool at noon o'clock or any of the other problems people have described about living in cali. it just isn't worth it to me.

lamy_chop
11-29-2009, 01:02 PM
don't feel bad, some places call looters, "unconventional shoppers"

hell, here in new orleans we called them cops. :D(there's pictures to prove it) also the national gaurd did a great job of looting.......er "unconventional shopping". :D

ZRODZ
11-29-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm certainly glad no one on this tread has any strongly held opinions about anything. Ahh, what was the topic again?

wsdad
11-29-2009, 02:14 PM
everyone ought to be better educated before they move anywhere.

The same can be said about the people who want airports, factories, race tracks, etc. To be shut down even though those establishments have been in operation for years and probably pre-date the construction of your house. If you move next to something that makes noise and/or anything else that displeases you, don't go bitching to city hall.

amen!

lamy_chop
11-29-2009, 03:31 PM

The same can be said about the people who want airports, factories, race tracks, etc. to be shut down even though those establishments have been in operation for years and probably pre-date the construction of your house. If you move next to something that makes noise and/or anything else that displeases you, don't go bitching to city hall.
As an adult, you are responsible for your decisions. Don't expect a neighborhood to change for you and if there is any type of activity in the area that might make you unhappy (race track, factory, etc.) don't expect those activities to magically shut down because you are unhappy.

Buyer beware...do your homework before you move.

while yes you are right on this, the op's problem isn't having moved to a new place and not liking the existing issues, his problem is, he's been there for a long time, 40ish years, and too many b.s. laws popping up around him changing the way he has to live his life. the worst part is he's been told he was "grandfathered" in and wouldn't have to worry about this.

lostforawhile
11-29-2009, 03:44 PM

Buyer beware...do your homework before you move.the problem is, people DO move next to racetracks, and airports and then succeed in shutting them down. doesn't matter if the place has been there 50 years, the nice cookie cutter homes seem to be more important. It's not just home owners associations, notice it has an ass in it? it's entire cities and counties now trying to tell you what you can and can't do with your own property. How long do you think it will be before they get warrants to see whats inside of your garage? they can already get warrants to raid your back yard

Anchorboy46
11-29-2009, 03:50 PM
This shit used to happen to me. I lived in Oceanside,Cali. for 29 years. I moved to Crockett,Texas. I'm 150 miles north of Houston and 175 miles south of Dallas. I can do or weld whatever the hell I want to. My neighbor across the street has 80 cows...My friend Joe Brunner has 165 cars at his place... Mikey

Mazooma1
11-29-2009, 04:26 PM
the problem is, people DO move next to racetracks, and airports and then succeed in shutting them down. doesn't matter if the place has been there 50 years

You are correct. I live by simple principles, but I am in the minority. I would never consider that a neighborhood, or town or whatever change just because I've moved in. I know a lot of you guys would agreed with that.
I do stand by my original post...do your homework before moving. It won't guarantee that nitwits won't mess up your plans but then at least you can go to the podium at shitty hall with the very valid argument that you were in a neighborhood that didn't have a law against "whatever it is that they are trying to change".
You'll have common sense on your side and it will make you case stronger by having that foundation.

ZRODZ
11-29-2009, 05:27 PM
You'll have common sense on your side and it will make you case stronger by having that foundation.
Why do you think "common sense" will work at city hall, it rarely works anywhere else?

Mazooma1
11-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Why do you think "common sense" will work at city hall, it rarely works anywhere else?

So, what are going to do? Nothing?...How far will doing nothing get you?

INVISIBLEKID
11-29-2009, 05:35 PM
After reading,and reading.... here's what's going on in my neck-o-the woods....with cities struggleing, cut-backs,revenue from building inspectors,planning,permits,and all that other jaz, they're forced to find other sources of revenue. Sad but true.The powers to be are now finding ways to increase income and will do more that normal to keep the cash flow coming in. i got a parking ticket for having my car stick out 4, yes 4 inches from my propertyline. I called the guy(lucky I work on his car) and told him WTF? I ripped up the ticket. It doesn't deture from the post as that with the economy the way it is,they're scratching at everything. Although looking at local laws first is always a good thing,things are getting tougher,and they're crackin harder. We can always try to be smarter,but sometimes it takes a prick to ruin everything.You can always pick your place to live,but unfortunatelly,you can't pick those who live by you. If I had my choice,I'd live by car guys! .02 C worth!

kiwiwilly
11-29-2009, 08:24 PM
USA !!!!!! Land of the free they tell me ?

Reading above it looks like USA Citizens are only free to do what the city officials
or Neighbors say then can

Or am I reading this all wrong?

JaggedEdge
11-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Kiwi.... looking on it would seem that way wouldn't it????

I love this country, but it is easier for me because I don't have a bunch of beaurocrats telling me what to do on my own property. ( well in a sense I do but not to the extent described above.)

Today our country has too many people who are "zealots" about their cause. (in my opinion)
I think we should preserve and maintain the planet and not just destroy it, but some people take it too far.
My views are different than my neighbors... probably different than yours...ect.
A lot of people have taken it upon themselves to try to "protect" us from US. Self appointed crusaders out to save humanity, because in their opinion it needs saving.
I work as an electrician and when I see someone doing something dangerous, I joke about trying to stop them. "You are interfering with the natural process of evolution"
The problem arises when you get enough of them together that they have an influence on zoning laws, ect....
But then.... thats Democracy.... right???
I am thankful I live in a neighborhood of middle class working people, many who are "car guys" or at least understand it. I have had several come to my house and ask for help with a vehicle. They are like me in that they either can't afford to go to a mechanic, love to do it themselves, or maybe just want to save money.
Sounds like the majority of "neighbors" the posters above have, don't have a clue about cars or the hobby.
I had one neighbor (really nice guy) tell me one time how envious he was that I could have a "project" in my driveway without my WIFE pitching a fit. I feel sorry for the guy as he is pretty knowledgeable about cars, and has made some really good suggestions to me.
I told him to come over any time he wanted and hang out.
If you look around..... you can always find someone who has a worse situation than you do.

29nash
11-30-2009, 11:24 AM
USA !!!!!! Land of the free they tell me ?

Reading above it looks like USA Citizens are only free to do what the city officials
or Neighbors say then can

Or am I reading this all wrong?
I'm glad you asked. There are plenty of places where life is good. Some people just let the busybodies run their life. They can't/won't move out of a busybody neighborhood, even seem to enjoy complaining about it instead of being proactive.

For me, along with millions of others, life is good.:D.........so far, but times is 'a changin'.:eek:

NHBandit
11-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Like I've said before, different parts of the country handle things differently. Here in my town the building inspector is also the fire cheif and probably half a dozen other job titles as well and he dosn't bother anyone. One of the town clerks who is a friend of mine told me "off the record" they pretty much could care less what anyone does as long as nobody complains. From what I'm reading CA is a really messed up place to live. It's pretty sad to think that the place where hot rodding was born has government that's trying their best to kill it.

Mazooma1
11-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Well, for many of us Southern California guys its home, always has been.
I'm going to be forced to take out the '34 today as a buddy of mine and I are going to lunch at the beach. Its going to be a little chilly, though, maybe 77-78 degrees, so I'll have to wear long pants, but, hey, you do what ya gotta do...

Special Ed
11-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Like I've said before, different parts of the country handle things differently. Here in my town the building inspector is also the fire cheif and probably half a dozen other job titles as well and he dosn't bother anyone. One of the town clerks who is a friend of mine told me "off the record" they pretty much could care less what anyone does as long as nobody complains. From what I'm reading CA is a really messed up place to live. It's pretty sad to think that the place where hot rodding was born has government that's trying their best to kill it.

I really like the attitude of your town's officials. Very cool.
Now, about California...I've lived here for more than fifty years. About 35 million other folks live here as well. If it was as bad as people think, do you honestly believe that ANYONE would live here? California has the eighth largest economy in the world, and over one tenth the population of the United States lives here. Think about that for a moment.

As a quick sidenote, the safest cities in America report came out today, and five of the top thirteen were located in Southern California...

Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy
11-30-2009, 11:47 AM
WOW! #1 A lot of creative ideas popping out here #2 Yes, when something smells fishy, most of the time it can be traced to politics in one way or another #3 I too am a member of the moved out the country years ago to get away from all that BS in the city. #4 I hope you get a happy ending to your "adventure"! Just my 2 cents worth...GOOD LUCK!

J.Fishbeck
12-03-2009, 07:19 PM
The Judge ruled today that we need to maintain and landscape the parkway. In the end, it was a $250 fine w/ a deadline of Mid December to have the corrections completed. It was all about money, plain & simple. The pea gravel is grandfathered in, and the Judge chose not to contest it. Ding!

desertratrodder
12-03-2009, 07:25 PM
The judge ruled today, the parkway needs to be landscaped(improved) and gave a $250 fine w/ a deadline of Mid December to have the corrections completed. It was all about money, plain & simple.

So you don't have to get rid of the cars, or anything like that?

Will they let you put wood chips/ shredded tree material down on the ground as a "ground cover"? You can get it for free from bigger tree trimmer companies.

J.Fishbeck
12-03-2009, 07:38 PM
So you don't have to get rid of the cars, or anything like that?

Will they let you put wood chips/ shredded tree material down on the ground as a "ground cover"? You can get it for free from bigger tree trimmer companies.

He mentioned wood chips/bark.. But I have decided to just put grass sod out there. I'll maintain it, cut it, water it- It's all fine by me. Just leave my cars out of it! It feels good being able to keep whats already mine.. Isn't that something!

desertratrodder
12-03-2009, 07:47 PM
well, I'm glad all is good with the cars.

I'd gladly pay $250 and plant some grass to get them out of my hair.

LIFESTYLZ
12-03-2009, 08:15 PM
He mentioned wood chips/bark.. But I have decided to just put grass sod out there. I'll maintain it, cut it, water it- It's all fine by me. Just leave my cars out of it! It feels good being able to keep whats already mine.. Isn't that something!

Damn good result.
I see common sense prevailed.
Not that sense is very common now a day.:D

NHBandit
12-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Congrats. Sounds like a happy ending.

51 mercules
12-03-2009, 08:34 PM
He mentioned wood chips/bark.. But I have decided to just put grass sod out there. I'll maintain it, cut it, water it- It's all fine by me. Just leave my cars out of it! It feels good being able to keep whats already mine.. Isn't that something!JJ congrats.Glad to hear you can keep your cars and thats all you have to do.

agtw31
12-03-2009, 08:51 PM
it's real bad in the burbs around here

a couple of them wont even let you have a trailer or motorhome in your driveway,let alone a non running car.

hemi46
12-03-2009, 11:28 PM
About 20 years ago, I read where a guy in cali had a problem with some neighbors, they did'nt like something, I don't remember what it was, but he moved out and leased his house to the Hell's Angels as a clubhouse for five years. The bitchers went to court to contest the lease and lost.

socalmerc
12-04-2009, 12:47 AM

congratulations brotha. i think i know where you live, its on a main street right? we were thinking they were just trying to take your land from you. over here in eastvale they did that to a old timer who had a whole in the wall bar that was there for ever. they built 10 bedroom homes all around him and the next thing you know the city of norco did a eminent domain on him cause he wouldn't tear it down. all they wanted was a excuse to take his land. they did to another old timer as well. they came in tore everything down and took his land and handed him the bill.
i live in riverside near kilgers Dad and we got hit all because a dick cement contractor thought we put the code enforcer on him for running his yard out of a vacant lot he had owned next door to his house he just sold. they came over seen our cars told either get them running or put them in one of our buildings. and they said we needed to put up a wood fence so the neighbor don't have to look at our stuff. they were pretty cool about it. they just cited us for illegal buildings that we built, they told us to get all our permits for them and have them signed off. we were cool to them, we opened all the doors and told to have at it. and what ever they want changed we will gladly do it. it cost us some big money to get everything up to code but when its over there will never be a problem again. some times its best to be there friend and make it all easy for them then to jump up fighting. in our area there is so many violations with people converting there horse sheds into apartments to rent to people from mexico, no kidding there either. on one side there was a horse and on the other side a was a hole family living in a horse shed. and owning 200 roosters or horses, to guys parking 10 big rig trucks in the yard or garage doors all around there property.

29nash
12-04-2009, 07:17 AM
The Judge ruled today that we need to maintain and landscape the parkway. In the end, it was a $250 fine w/ a deadline of Mid December to have the corrections completed. It was all about money, plain & simple. The pea gravel is grandfathered in, and the Judge chose not to contest it. Ding!

If you are content with that, that's cool.

For your sake I hope I'm wrong, but my problem is with the fact that now they have their hooks in you. It IS about collecting revenue. You are on the books, and it's my fear that now that they have a source, code enforcement people will be back to the well to draw another bucket-full of that easy money. There will be a 'next time'. Then, when you have to go to court to defend yourself it'll be in front of a different judge, and you will be labled as a 'repeat offender'.

CGkidd
12-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Sounds like things worked out OK. One of the main reasons why I moved from Socal though.

62nova
12-04-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm glad I live in Taylor.

sixfink
12-04-2009, 11:00 AM
they built 10 bedroom homes all around him and the next thing you know the city of norco did a eminent domain on him cause he wouldn't tear it down. all they wanted was a excuse to take his land. they did to another old timer as well. they came in tore everything down and took his land and handed him the bill.

25 years ago, they used background themes like that to make hilarious movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCjDekdnIeE

Now where is that little Volkswagen bug numbered "53" when you need it most? On further thought, it probably fell victiom to some cash-for-clunkers scrappage program, if code enforcers haven't dragged it off already...

INVISIBLEKID
12-04-2009, 12:26 PM

Very cool indeed! Congrats!

J.Fishbeck
12-04-2009, 12:44 PM
If you are content with that, that's cool.

For your sake I hope I'm wrong, but my problem is with the fact that now they have their hooks in you. It IS about collecting revenue. You are on the books, and it's my fear that now that they have a source, code enforcement people will be back to the well to draw another bucket-full of that easy money. There will be a 'next time'. Then, when you have to go to court to defend yourself it'll be in front of a different judge, and you will be labled as a 'repeat offender'.

I'm pretty much safe with the Judges decision to "not contest" the pea gravel as being Grandfathered in. I will always have that in my defense, an on record now. Yesterday @5pm the same officer came over and took more pictures, talked about how he wants a 54 Chevy an all that. So as long as I keep the front yard up to par.. I'm good. By not having the grass green out front.. I was poking a stick in the bee hive if you will. Now I know how to stay in there graces and plan to stay w/ it!
Thanks again for all your info!

lostforawhile
12-04-2009, 01:47 PM
congratulations brotha. i think i know where you live, its on a main street right? we were thinking they were just trying to take your land from you. over here in eastvale they did that to a old timer who had a whole in the wall bar that was there for ever. they built 10 bedroom homes all around him and the next thing you know the city of norco did a eminent domain on him cause he wouldn't tear it down. all they wanted was a excuse to take his land. they did to another old timer as well. they came in tore everything down and took his land and handed him the bill.
i live in riverside near kilgers Dad and we got hit all because a dick cement contractor thought we put the code enforcer on him for running his yard out of a vacant lot he had owned next door to his house he just sold. they came over seen our cars told either get them running or put them in one of our buildings. and they said we needed to put up a wood fence so the neighbor don't have to look at our stuff. they were pretty cool about it. they just cited us for illegal buildings that we built, they told us to get all our permits for them and have them signed off. we were cool to them, we opened all the doors and told to have at it. and what ever they want changed we will gladly do it. it cost us some big money to get everything up to code but when its over there will never be a problem again. some times its best to be there friend and make it all easy for them then to jump up fighting. in our area there is so many violations with people converting there horse sheds into apartments to rent to people from mexico, no kidding there either. on one side there was a horse and on the other side a was a hole family living in a horse shed. and owning 200 roosters or horses, to guys parking 10 big rig trucks in the yard or garage doors all around there property.
hmmm i wouldn't mind making a house out of a horse shed, the horses probably smell better then all the neighbor rules and regulations bullshit, besides i like horses.

J.Fishbeck
12-04-2009, 03:26 PM
JJ congrats.Glad to hear you can keep your cars and thats all you have to do.

It needed to be done.. if they were not so round about, an a little more specific in the notice, I could have avoided the fine. Live and learn

allengator
12-04-2009, 03:31 PM
sounds like a decent deal

J.Fishbeck
12-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Just found out today, the total fine will be $175.00 Last year they drummed up Six Hundred Thousand dollars in fines. All that, just to break even. They are struggling to keep there jobs.

J.Fishbeck
01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
This thread is dead.. But I just found out the city of S.B has generated over 2million in fines. That's 1.4 mill in profit. Not bad for just fuckin w/ people!

Onemansjunk
01-10-2010, 09:16 PM
This code enforcement crap has been going on forever! Back in 1970 my dad had a forty ford pickup he was working on beside our house!! The old bitch next door called the city ---they gave him 90 days to make run --register or remove from the property--or a $300.00 fine would be imposed!!!!!He came home everyday from work ate dinner and completly dis-assembled that truck with a hammer+cold chisel!!!!! He drove the old bitch next door crazy for 89 days!!!! next he got a permit and built a 2-car garage and drove the old bitch crazy working on everything he could!!!Every year he and my grandfather would spread 2 to 3 inches of stear manure over the property to raise the odds!!!Love them old farts----Dennis

J.Fishbeck
01-10-2010, 09:36 PM
This code enforcement crap has been going on forever! Back in 1970 my dad had a forty ford pickup he was working on beside our house!! The old bitch next door called the city ---they gave him 90 days to make run --register or remove from the property--or a $300.00 fine would be imposed!!!!!He came home everyday from work ate dinner and completly dis-assembled that truck with a hammer+cold chisel!!!!! He drove the old bitch next door crazy for 89 days!!!! next he got a permit and built a 2-car garage and drove the old bitch crazy working on everything he could!!!Every year he and my grandfather would spread 2 to 3 inches of stear manure over the property to raise the odds!!!Love them old farts----Dennis

So I'm not the only one, who thinks like that! Haha..

Atwater Mike
07-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Many years ago in San Jose, a neighbor female started visiting my ex wife when I was at work. Ex wife showed her my 3 car garage, with my roadster, F100, and '52 Porsche roadster. The obese woman practically went berserk, saying: "He can't have all that! My husband would Never try anything like this!", and her worm of a husband showed up with 3 jerks from the city zoning commission and a fire marshal.
They issued a citation in my absence, and I got uptight when I read it.
The ex wife was leaving, (house was leased) and she took off. My buds helped me move everything into a shop we rented, and three nights later, (after too many Budweisers) my pal and I backed onto the fat lady's lawn, to reward her twirp husband with a lawn burnout. Pal Gary said, "Just wait a second," and attached my chain to the front door handle. I got the F100 sideways, came off the curb full tilt, and Bang! The front door, still in the casing, came up behind me and nearly tacoed my tailgate! I dragged the door a coupla blocks, then pulled into a gas station and tossed it in the dumpster.
Man, I'm sure glad I don't drink like that any more.

J.Fishbeck
07-13-2010, 12:17 AM
Damn, you gotta love the American Dream.. I skipped my first marriage, but I still seem to attract those who want something for nothing.