View Full Version : History tasca ford

Jimv
10-31-2009, 05:32 PM
Heres some pics of what use to be the old TASCA ford from there racing haydays.They moved to a new location in cranston so this building is up for sale now.Lotta history happen here.
JimV

CTFuzz
10-31-2009, 05:38 PM
Let's buy it..............................We can have a talent show to raise the money!!
Come on Jim, I'll sing and you dance.

I used to work on Bill Lawtons Harleys, I spent a lot of time at that dealership as a kid .......very good times there.

Thirtycoup
11-01-2009, 01:16 PM
nice try tom but the only dancing jim does is lip dancing ... yak-yak-yak!!! :D
he'll yak your fuckin' ears off!!

oj
11-01-2009, 01:38 PM
I think the tasca ford a/gs mustang was one of the most beautiful cars ever built, whomever did it got that one right. Anybody have a pic of it to post?

Slick Willy
11-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Found this one on 60sfunnycars.com
http://www.draglist.com/artman/uploads/daily_stories/7_lawton.jpg

poprockcrusher
11-01-2009, 02:18 PM
another dead dealer
a pillar of the community
...........that is some palace they built next to the jail

Troublemaker427
11-01-2009, 06:21 PM
another dead dealer
a pillar of the community
...........that is some palace they built next to the jail
Tasca Ford is far from dead!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Jimv
11-01-2009, 09:49 PM
nice try tom but the only dancing jim does is lip dancing ... yak-yak-yak!!! :D
he'll yak your fuckin' ears off!!
Boy where did this come from?? If it wasn't for me telling you about events you wouldn't know what happening.
JimV

Thirtycoup
11-02-2009, 04:50 AM
it was joke son - chill.

64Cyclone
11-02-2009, 05:05 AM
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m58/predfan2001/3175635746_0e1a5eddf1.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m58/predfan2001/3175635416_61da5b6ef7.jpg

Angry Frenchman
11-02-2009, 06:12 AM
nice pics 64cyclone. anybody got anymore early pics of the dealer ship?

tommy
11-02-2009, 06:31 AM
Pretty effective form of advertising considering that we are still talking about it 40 years after they spent the money.

My buddy has one of those pot metal dealer tags that they put on the trunk back in those days. He put it on his 1964 427-4spd clone 300 2 dr sedan.

Little Wing
11-02-2009, 06:31 AM
Theres an f-5 In a yard round here the has Tasca right across the front of the hood,,wonder if theres and connection

LeadSledMerc
11-02-2009, 06:39 AM
Boy where did this come from?? If it wasn't for me telling you about events you wouldn't know what happening.
JimV

it was joke son - chill.

Now, now children...do I have to send you to your rooms for some quite time???;) hahaha

Those are some cool pics that everyone posted...thanks!:cool:

NITROFC
11-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Interesting story of the Tasca Family ...............

FEW AUTOMOTIVE DEALERS HAVE SOLD MORE CARS ON MONDAY WITH WINS ON SUNDAY THAN THE INNOVATIVE ENTREPRENEUR OF RHODE ISLAND’S TASCA FORD

Prior to the current era of corporate sponsorship, many of the nation’s top drag racing teams relied on local car dealerships for financial and technological support. Quick to realize the benefits of the “Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday” philosophy, dealers attracted many young buyers to their showroom floors by handpicking the top racers within their area to promote their automotive brand and the services of their outlets. Among the more popular dealer/racer combinations of this period were Albertson Olds/Leonard Harris, Yeakel Bros. Plymouth/Tom McEwen, Sachs & Sons Lincoln-Mercury/Jack Chrisman, Russ Davis Ford/Gas Ronda, and Ace Wilson’s Royal Pontiac/Jim Wangers.

Examples of dealers involved in motorsports are many, but in terms of behind-the-scenes developments, such as the creation of special engine/body racing combinations and potent engine packages and pioneering innovative promotional strategies, few dealers were more influential than Bob Tasca of East Providence, R.I.

Not only was Tasca the longtime sponsor of drag racing legend Bill Lawton and a major player in the development of such memorable cars as the 427-cid ‘64 Ford Thunderbolt Fairlane, but he also helped create the famed 428-cid Cobra Jet engine and was the man who lured 12-time NHRA Funny Car champion John Force away from General Motors to compete under the Ford banner.

Tasca’s dealership involvement began half a century ago, when he opened his first outlet in Bristol, R.I., in 1953. He moved to the present East Providence location in 1956 after Hurricane Carol destroyed the original operation in 1954, and he became involved in motorsports competition in 1961.

Said Tasca, “Everybody was running Chevrolets back then, and there was this hotshot kid named Bill Lawton who always hung around our dealership and bragged about how his Chevy could beat our Fords. One day, I told him that he had just won his last race in a Chevy, and to prove my point, I had my top mechanics, John Healey and Dean Gregson, specially prepare one of our new 406-cid ‘62 Galaxies. The fastest Bill’s Chevy had ever run was a 13.66, and John shocked him with a 13.33 [in the Ford]. All of a sudden, Bill’s attitude about Fords began to change, and he asked me if he could drive our car. His first run was a 12.96, which didn’t surprise me because I knew he was a natural driver. After that, Bill came onboard with us to race Fords until his retirement in 1971.”

One of Tasca’s first innovations was campaigning a ‘62 Fairlane with a 406-cid engine for A/FX competition. The car, called the Challenger, was built by Andy Hotten’s Detroit Steel and Tubing firm and required many modifications to shoehorn the large engine into the midsize engine compartment. A second version, Zimmy I, was built in 1963 with a 427-cid high-riser engine, and Lawton drove it to a new A/FX national record of 12.21 later that season.

Ford was so impressed with the package that it authorized Detroit Steel and Tubing to construct 100 427-cid Fairlanes for NHRA Super Stock competition in 1964, and Lawton drove his ‘64 Zimmy II entry to new S/S national records of 11.69 and 122.22 at the Division 1 race at Maryland’s Cecil County Dragway.

The Tasca Ford Zimmy III, an A/FX ‘65 Mustang equipped with Ford’s new single overhead cam (SOHC) 427-cid engine, was the most potent of the series, and Lawton drove it to wins at that year’s NHRA Winternationals, NASCAR Nationals, and inaugural Super Stock Nationals.

With Lawton’s success on the dragstrip increasing the sales of new cars at Tasca Ford, Tasca also was becoming one of the country’s more successful merchants of high-performance Ford parts.

Said Tasca, “We always measured performance in car lengths. Let’s say one of our customers was getting beat by two car lengths. We’d sell him the right parts to win by a couple of car lengths. And if he wanted to win by four car lengths, we had the parts for that, too.”

Tasca’s extensive background in optimum engine-part combinations resulted in the development of the Ford 428-cid Cobra Jet engine in 1968.

“By that time, our Ford SOHC 427 was the fastest engine in Top Fuel and Funny Car, but it wasn’t something we sold for the street,” said Tasca. “The best we could offer our customers was the 390-cid engine, and it just wasn’t cutting it against the new 396-cid and 427-cid Chevy engines that had been out for a while.

“So I got together with Bill Gilbert, who followed my specifications and helped develop the unit,” he added. “We also worked with Bill Ennis, Bill Gay, John Cowley, Charley Gray, Danny Jones, Les Tinsler, and ‘Pop’ Sullivan, who did the work on the camshafts. We came up with the 428 Cobra Jet. It won right off the bat with a Super Stock victory at the 1968 Winternationals, and it proved to be the best street/strip engine that Ford ever had until that time. We ended up selling a ton of them.”

Another of Tasca’s unique talents was producing positive results out of negative events. “Bill Lawton broke a Hurst shifter once on the 3rd to 4th gear shift,” Tasca remembered. “Even though he won the race because he was so far ahead, George Hurst was furious, but I told George to calm down because we could turn this into a good thing. We promoted the fact that Hurst shifters came with lifetime guarantees, and before you knew it, the Hurst sales went right through the roof.”

Tasca’s reputation as a high-performance entrepreneur made him a major figure in all forms of motorsports, and he was able to coax Indy 500 hero Mario Andretti into taking part in a drag race.

Said Tasca, “I came up with the idea of having Mario drive one of our specially prepared Mustangs against Frank Maratta, owner of Connecticut Dragway, on the Sunday morning before the week of the Indy 500. Mario came in on a private airplane, which landed right at the track, and Frank was there with a hopped-up Camaro from Norwood Chevrolet, which was located in Warwick, R.I. We had Bill Flynn make some runs with the Mustang to establish a baseline, and he ran in the 11.4- to 11.5-second range. Mario went 11.46 on his first run, then beat Maratta on four straight runs. Someone asked Mario why a famous Indy 500 driver like him would want to drag race, and he said that he knew that Bob Tasca would build a very good race car for him, and that made us very proud.”

Following Lawton’s retirement in 1971, Ford asked Tasca to take over the operations of an unwanted Lincoln-Mercury dealership in seekonk, Mass., and with the assistance of his three sons, he introduced shortened trace cycles, unique option packages, and late-night service to become the largest-volume Lincoln-Mercury dealership in the -country. After setting a record customer-satisfaction score of 9.39 out of a possible 10 in 1994, the Tasca family returned to Providence to reopen the original Ford dealership. In just five years, the operation became the largest-volume Ford operation in southern New England.

RAY With
11-02-2009, 08:32 AM
[QUOTE=NITROFC;4515489]Interesting story of the Tasca Family ...............

FEW AUTOMOTIVE DEALERS HAVE SOLD MORE CARS ON MONDAY WITH WINS ON SUNDAY THAN THE INNOVATIVE ENTREPRENEUR OF RHODE ISLAND’S TASCA FORD

NITROFC thanks for this amazing informative post. Back in the days I use to keep up with all the ford teams and had seen many Tasca Ford events and knew the average information about there operation. Your great coverage shed new light on there operation for me and I thank you very much. People like you keep readers like me informed and avid readers on the HAMB. There are no other sites on the Internet that have as many knowledgeable members as this one. Again thanks for you post.

Slim Pickens
11-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Great thread, as usual. It is amazing how the name TASCA jumped out at me even before I saw the shots that Slick Willy and ts3x65mph posted. The shots from 1961 that 64Cyclone posted are awesome. Big thanks to NITROFC for the history lesson. Thanks guys. Slim

64Cyclone
11-02-2009, 11:37 AM
I could have sworn that I had a pic of one of Bill Lawton's car in frt on Tasca Ford....maybe I'm thinking about something else??

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m58/predfan2001/03-1.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m58/predfan2001/doorcar002.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m58/predfan2001/BillLawtonTascaFordT-Bolt3.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m58/predfan2001/17.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m58/predfan2001/BillLawtonAFX.jpg

Unclee
11-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Great history lesson. I take it the Thunderbolt was one of the first Super Stock'ers in the elevins! Nice.

RAY With
11-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Great history lesson. I take it the Thunderbolt was one of the first Super Stock'ers in the elevins! Nice.

No kidding. I learned a lot here and thought I knew it back in the days-Great thread

Thirtycoup
11-02-2009, 05:21 PM
The Thunderbolt is probably may favorite, great looking car.

Thirtycoup
11-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Now, now children...do I have to send you to your rooms for some quite time???;) hahaha

Those are some cool pics that everyone posted...thanks!:cool:

I think Jim's just "testy" because he can't wait for the Yankers to wrap it up tonight - go Phillies!!:D

Slick Willy
11-02-2009, 05:37 PM
uhuhuhuh...you said "testy"...
Someone around here south shore/cape has an early sixties ford wild looking car with tasca dealership labels on it...

markyac
11-03-2009, 12:05 AM
The number 777 that appeared on several of their cars ( the 63 1/2 fastback ,for one) was the Tasca Ford street address number.
Taunton Ave , if I remember correctly.

Chuck Carman
11-03-2009, 01:05 AM
Bob Tasca III is a real nice guy. He even returns my e-mails.

rustygem
11-03-2009, 01:20 AM
You'd think with all their history that they could turn that old dealership into a museum, I wonder what has become of all their old race cars?, I saw one on the TV on "my classic car" or one of those show, at the place in the Mid West I think..

60s Racer
11-15-2009, 07:15 PM
I remember driving by the dealership late 1963 and they had several unsold '63 lightweight Galaxies out front. Who knew.

stillrunners
11-15-2009, 09:30 PM
cool stuff...that 1961 is one heavy girl...it's bite'n hard and lift'n...

35mastr
11-15-2009, 09:40 PM
I remember the dealership very well. Drove past it for years and stopped in once in a while when I lived in Pawtucket.

Did not know that they moved.

zombiesarebad
11-15-2009, 09:48 PM
i used to have a car originally sold from Tasca... but it was a '95 Lincoln Mark VIII. Still, i thought it was cool just to have their logo on the decklid. They got quite a legacy.

Jimv
11-15-2009, 09:51 PM
I remember the dealership very well. Drove past it for years and stopped in once in a while when I lived in Pawtucket.

Did not know that they moved.

There new dealership is in Cranston right near the ACI.Very state of the art place
jimV

jleews6
07-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Sorry to bring up such an old thread but I have to share this.
I know right where the Mistery 7 funny car sits right now. Although it has been painted many times over the years you can still see alot of the original lettering under the paint. The car has been sitting behind (not in) a barn for many many years.

Mattbee
07-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Do you have any pictures?

Deuces
07-03-2010, 03:40 PM
It would sure be nice if we had some pictures of it.. :)

Deuces
07-03-2010, 03:48 PM
There was a post that mentioned that a company called Detroit steel and tube built the 100 er so 1964 427 T-bolts.... NOT! It was Dearborn Steel Tubing that did the engine swaps on those cars.. They're located a few blocks away from me down the street from the old BOB FORD dealership which is now FAIRLANE FORD. Dearborn Steel tubing is still in business by the way.. :)

havi
07-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Here's a pic of the '63 Fairlane. Other than 64Cyclone's pic of the '62, I've been trying to find others, and have had no luck.

haroldd1963
07-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Let's see more pictures of the old dealership!

Hilo hotrodder
07-03-2010, 04:32 PM
The guy I was working for in the fall of 1965 got a good deal from Tasca ford on a new truck. We were in Yonkers NY he sent on the greyhound bus to go pick up the truck . The A/GS car was in the showroom. Ii remember being really impressed with that car.

Yutan Flash
07-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Sidebar/Info Inquiry: Not only did Tasca arrange for the '64 T-bolts with the 427s, but there was at least one '64 T-bird that Tasca arranged to have a 427 installed in place of the stock 390 which also received some customizing by the Alexander Bros (Cibie rectangular headlights, custom emblems, revised front bumper and custom aluminum slat grille), modified front/rear springs, HD shocks/brakes, even a beefed up cast iron Cruise-O-Matic. The styling of their 'Bird was designed by one of the people who became synonymous with "Hot Wheels," Harry Bradley (?-going off of memory and too lazy to open the book I authored on '55-'66 T-bird history in the mid-'90s to double check: he gave me the photo to use in "Thunderbird 1955-1966"). An article in CARS magazine in mid-1964 gave a lot of info on this car's build. The claim was that Tasca used his connections to have the 427 installed at Wixom Assembly. I'm still searching for documentation on this car (VIN, data plate info) to chronicle it for my Thunderbird database, but none have surfaced yet.

Supposedly there were a few other '65 T-birds that Tasca arranged to have 427s installed in lieu of the 390, but I haven't seen any firm documentation on this. I did find telegrams in Ford's Industrial Archives from '65 between Tasca and Jaque Passino, who was involved with Ford's perforance program, commenting about the potential for (and problems associated with) fulfilling his request. I'm wondering if the supposed 427-equipped 'Birds were also rigged up by DST?

VirgilHilts
07-03-2010, 04:53 PM
A little later than traditional but cool pic.

VirgilHilts
07-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Sidebar/Info Inquiry: Not only did Tasca arrange for the '64 T-bolts with the 427s, but there was at least one '64 T-bird that Tasca arranged to have a 427 installed in place of the stock 390 which also received some customizing by the Alexander Bros (Cibie rectangular headlights, custom emblems, revised front bumper and tube grille), modified front/rear springs, HD shocks/brakes, even a beefed up cast iron Cruise-O-Matic. The styling of their 'Bird was designed by one of the people who became synonymous with "Hot Wheels," David Bradley (?-going off of memory and too lazy to open the book I authored on '55-'66 T-bird history in the mid-'90s to double check: he gave me the photo to use in "Thunderbird 1955-1966"). An article in CARS magazine in mid-1964 gave a lot of info on this car's build. The claim was that Tasca used his connections to have the 427 installed at Wixom Assembly. I'm still searching for documentation on this car (VIN, data plate info) to chronicle it for my Thunderbird database, but none have surfaced yet.

Supposedly there were a few other '65 T-birds that Tasca arranged to have 427s installed in lieu of the 390, but I haven't seen any firm documentation on this. I did find telegrams in Ford's Industrial Archives from '65 between Tasca and Jaque Passino, who was involved with Ford's perforance program, commenting about the potential for (and problems associated with) fulfilling his request. I'm wondering if the supposed 427-equipped 'Birds were also rigged up by DST?

This one?

It was Harry Bradley probably. He designed most of the original cars then Larry Wood and Ira Gilford took over

Yutan Flash
07-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Harry Bradley - that be him! Will edit my previous post since I also see I got the grille wrong, too. Was really nice to chat with him when I was doing the research for the book - I forgot how I got turned onto him, though.

bubba22349
07-09-2010, 01:35 PM
I am looking for one of the Tasca trunk scripts and a set of the license plate frames (die cast chrome type) from the 1960's era. It's for a 63 Fairlane build I am doing anybody have some or know where I can find them?

Zerk
07-09-2010, 02:12 PM
I seem to remember an article about a Tasca T-Bird with a dealer-installed 406 with 3-2V. Straining my brain here, but I think they had a learning curve on that car due to the installed angle of FEs being different between the big Fords and the T-Birds; machining the carb mounting pads was necessary. In any case, that was a crate 406 by the dealership and certainly done before the special-order 427 T-Birds. Sort of a locally-manufactured, nonfactory prototype? ;)

Muttley
07-09-2010, 05:12 PM
I am looking for one of the Tasca trunk scripts..............

I've seen reproduction ones on ebay.

bubba22349
07-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Thank you Muttley will check it out.

bubba22349
07-10-2010, 05:14 PM
I seem to remember an article about a Tasca T-Bird with a dealer-installed 406 with 3-2V. Straining my brain here, but I think they had a learning curve on that car due to the installed angle of FEs being different between the big Fords and the T-Birds; machining the carb mounting pads was necessary. In any case, that was a crate 406 by the dealership and certainly done before the special-order 427 T-Birds. Sort of a locally-manufactured, nonfactory prototype? ;)

You are right they would have had to do that mod. I had a 61 Tbird 390FE that I drove for few years there was a wedge plate that mounted on top of intake to change the carb mounting angel and level it. Because those Tbirds were very low to ground the engines sat very flat in the chassis.

Zerk
07-10-2010, 07:39 PM
You are right they would have had to do that mod. I had a 61 Tbird 390FE that I drove for few years there was a wedge plate that mounted on top of intake to change the carb mounting angel and level it. Because those Tbirds were very low to ground the engines sat very flat in the chassis.

Thanks, cool to know there's a factory provision for the different angle in the '61 and maybe up to '66 T-Birds.
Tasca was in unfamiliar territory with the Galaxie engines in the Thunderbirds, and spent some time trying to correctly tune their carbs before seeing the difference in the mounting angle.

bubba22349
07-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks, cool to know there's a factory provision for the different angle in the '61 and maybe up to '66 T-Birds.
Tasca was in unfamiliar territory with the Galaxie engines in the Thunderbirds, and spent some time trying to correctly tune their carbs before seeing the difference in the mounting angle.

I think you would probably be right as the Chassis looked to be about the same dimensions and layout through the 66 models.

Ford-Man
07-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Some great pictures here!

MrFire
07-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Great thread. I was googling around and came up with some articles that had been posted on photobucket that were interesting and legible, an article by Martyn L. Schorr. I hope this is going to work (not real computer literate):

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb9/orange427tbird/427%20Tbirds/tasca427_1_pienempi.jpg

Here is the link:

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb9/orange427tbird/427%20Tbirds/?action=view&current=tasca427_3_pienempi.jpg#!oZZ15QQcurrentZZh ttp%3A%2F%2Fs211.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb9%2F orange427tbird%2F427%2520Tbirds%2F%3Faction%3Dview %26current%3Dtasca427_1_pienempi.jpg%26

From the link there is access to other articles that are well worth the effort.

GEORGE TAYLOR
12-04-2010, 05:32 AM
You can still get the "tasca" metal badge on their web site.
I put one on my gt350
i grew up in conn. And watched them race every week end in a time when chevys ruled. I always loved the fords!
I can remember in 1968 (i believe) they helped develope the scj 428 for ford. They had a new mustang there with the 428scj, they anounced that they would race anything in the pits heads up with street tires with this car. I dont remember the outcome, but they really did good marketing for ford and their dealershipss.
I remenber that mustang as well, it ran as nice as it looked.

We recently bought a scooter for a pit bike from a gal down in southern mass. She signed the bill of sale with a last name "tascA" i asked her, are you.. And she said yes my uncle bob is bob tasca.
It seemed to make the scooter more special... L.oL.

Thanks for the memories
geo.

Chevguy37
12-04-2010, 03:42 PM
I believe Bill Lawton was the best 4 spped driver back in the day. Unfortunately he is no longer with us. John Healy was and still is one hell of a tuner. Ah yes, the memories are many.

japar
11-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Grew up in EP RI , Billy and Johnny Healey were good friends of mine and in the late 60's we would go to Tasca Ford and their dad would start the Mystery 7 Fuel Funny car, it was totally awsum. After Tasca got out of racing John opened up shop. I was down in Englishtown NJ with them where Bob Moulton set the NHRA D/SA record in a 428 69 Mustang. John also built and ran a Pro Stock 351 Pinto. Bill Lawton built and ran a Pinto funny car called The Mover

spike427
11-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Sorry to bring up such an old thread but I have to share this.
I know right where the Mistery 7 funny car sits right now. Although it has been painted many times over the years you can still see alot of the original lettering under the paint. The car has been sitting behind (not in) a barn for many many years.
Is it for sale as I would like to have some info on car so please e-mail me?

gasser john
11-24-2011, 03:38 PM
last summer i saw the thunderbolt at a wendys in canton, ohio. i asked the owner if it was a replica and he said it was the real car, if i remember correctly, it had bob tasca as the driver name on the door. real or not , it was awesome to see. very nicely done as well. i follow drag racing pretty closely, especialy the ford teams of Force, Wilkerson and Tasca. Bob Tasca III is a great young driver.

Troublemaker427
11-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Bob Tasca was not the driver. Bill Lawton was the driver for Tasca. Bill Lawton's family was in the moving business thus the name of his funny car, The Mover.

WOODEYE
11-24-2011, 04:44 PM
I was lucky enough to get to attend the SEMA Show this year and as part of that ticket, NHRA sponsered a Breakfast highlighting some of Racings familes that have been involved for multiple generations in Drag Racing. The Tasca's were one of the families on stage that were interviewed and it was fasinating to here their stories and their answers to questions coming from the attendies. The price of admission was a buy if this breakfast was the only thing involved. The rest was just icing on the cake after this so to speak. From what I heard and saw I would say that the Tasca family is a class act. To me they seemed like guys you would like to set with and bend an elbow with over an evenings time. Not hard to believe that they run top notch Dealerships. This event went by way to fast.

Troublemaker427
11-24-2011, 05:02 PM
I've become friends with Bob Tasca II over the last couple of years. I spent some time with them in their pits at the NHRA race in Reading PA. recently. Here is Bob II & Bob III checking out my Tasca photo collection I brought to show them. They are a great group of people and couldn't have been nicer to us. They also embrace their racing history and are very willing to talk about their racing past & future. I also met Bob II's brother Carl who races the world's fastest Cobra Jet Mustang. He has been a best of 8.09 and won't be happy until he runs in the 7's.

Algon
11-24-2011, 05:34 PM
These are all I've seen of the 63 car.

richie rebel
11-24-2011, 06:36 PM
thats a 62 i believe

richie rebel
11-24-2011, 06:39 PM
thats a 62,just saying

alanwoodieman
11-24-2011, 07:19 PM
anybody ever heard of Cliff O'Brien that was suppossed to be involved in some of Tasca's engine/head work?

guffey
11-24-2011, 07:29 PM
anybody ever heard of Cliff O'Brien that was suppossed to be involved in some of Tasca's engine/head work?

Cliff Brien was Gas Ronda's mechanic during the 65 and 66 period with the Cammer Mustangs maybe even later with the funny cars. Jody can probably add to that

plymouth1952
11-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Interesting story of the Tasca Family ...............

Prior to the current era of corporate sponsorship, many of the nation’s top drag racing teams relied on local car dealerships for financial and technological support. Quick to realize the benefits of the “Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday” philosophy, dealers attracted many young buyers to their showroom floors by handpicking the top racers within their area to promote their automotive brand and the services of their outlets. Among the more popular dealer/racer combinations of this period were Albertson Olds/Leonard Harris, Yeakel Bros. Plymouth/Tom McEwen, Sachs & Sons Lincoln-Mercury/Jack Chrisman, Russ Davis Ford/Gas Ronda, and Ace Wilson’s Royal Pontiac/Jim Wangers.

Examples of dealers involved in motorsports are many, but in terms of behind-the-scenes developments, such as the creation of special engine/body racing combinations and potent engine packages and pioneering innovative promotional strategies, few dealers were more influential than Bob Tasca of East Providence, R.I.

Not only was Tasca the longtime sponsor of drag racing legend Bill Lawton and a major player in the development of such memorable cars as the 427-cid ‘64 Ford Thunderbolt Fairlane, but he also helped create the famed 428-cid Cobra Jet engine and was the man who lured 12-time NHRA Funny Car champion John Force away from General Motors to compete under the Ford banner.

Tasca’s dealership involvement began half a century ago, when he opened his first outlet in Bristol, R.I., in 1953. He moved to the present East Providence location in 1956 after Hurricane Carol destroyed the original operation in 1954, and he became involved in motorsports competition in 1961.

Said Tasca, “Everybody was running Chevrolets back then, and there was this hotshot kid named Bill Lawton who always hung around our dealership and bragged about how his Chevy could beat our Fords. One day, I told him that he had just won his last race in a Chevy, and to prove my point, I had my top mechanics, John Healey and Dean Gregson, specially prepare one of our new 406-cid ‘62 Galaxies. The fastest Bill’s Chevy had ever run was a 13.66, and John shocked him with a 13.33 [in the Ford]. All of a sudden, Bill’s attitude about Fords began to change, and he asked me if he could drive our car. His first run was a 12.96, which didn’t surprise me because I knew he was a natural driver. After that, Bill came onboard with us to race Fords until his retirement in 1971.”

One of Tasca’s first innovations was campaigning a ‘62 Fairlane with a 406-cid engine for A/FX competition. The car, called the Challenger, was built by Andy Hotten’s Detroit Steel and Tubing firm and required many modifications to shoehorn the large engine into the midsize engine compartment. A second version, Zimmy I, was built in 1963 with a 427-cid high-riser engine, and Lawton drove it to a new A/FX national record of 12.21 later that season.

Ford was so impressed with the package that it authorized Detroit Steel and Tubing to construct 100 427-cid Fairlanes for NHRA Super Stock competition in 1964, and Lawton drove his ‘64 Zimmy II entry to new S/S national records of 11.69 and 122.22 at the Division 1 race at Maryland’s Cecil County Dragway.

The Tasca Ford Zimmy III, an A/FX ‘65 Mustang equipped with Ford’s new single overhead cam (SOHC) 427-cid engine, was the most potent of the series, and Lawton drove it to wins at that year’s NHRA Winternationals, NASCAR Nationals, and inaugural Super Stock Nationals.

With Lawton’s success on the dragstrip increasing the sales of new cars at Tasca Ford, Tasca also was becoming one of the country’s more successful merchants of high-performance Ford parts.

Said Tasca, “We always measured performance in car lengths. Let’s say one of our customers was getting beat by two car lengths. We’d sell him the right parts to win by a couple of car lengths. And if he wanted to win by four car lengths, we had the parts for that, too.”

Tasca’s extensive background in optimum engine-part combinations resulted in the development of the Ford 428-cid Cobra Jet engine in 1968.

“By that time, our Ford SOHC 427 was the fastest engine in Top Fuel and Funny Car, but it wasn’t something we sold for the street,” said Tasca. “The best we could offer our customers was the 390-cid engine, and it just wasn’t cutting it against the new 396-cid and 427-cid Chevy engines that had been out for a while.

“So I got together with Bill Gilbert, who followed my specifications and helped develop the unit,” he added. “We also worked with Bill Ennis, Bill Gay, John Cowley, Charley Gray, Danny Jones, Les Tinsler, and ‘Pop’ Sullivan, who did the work on the camshafts. We came up with the 428 Cobra Jet. It won right off the bat with a Super Stock victory at the 1968 Winternationals, and it proved to be the best street/strip engine that Ford ever had until that time. We ended up selling a ton of them.”

Another of Tasca’s unique talents was producing positive results out of negative events. “Bill Lawton broke a Hurst shifter once on the 3rd to 4th gear shift,” Tasca remembered. “Even though he won the race because he was so far ahead, George Hurst was furious, but I told George to calm down because we could turn this into a good thing. We promoted the fact that Hurst shifters came with lifetime guarantees, and before you knew it, the Hurst sales went right through the roof.”

Tasca’s reputation as a high-performance entrepreneur made him a major figure in all forms of motorsports, and he was able to coax Indy 500 hero Mario Andretti into taking part in a drag race.

Said Tasca, “I came up with the idea of having Mario drive one of our specially prepared Mustangs against Frank Maratta, owner of Connecticut Dragway, on the Sunday morning before the week of the Indy 500. Mario came in on a private airplane, which landed right at the track, and Frank was there with a hopped-up Camaro from Norwood Chevrolet, which was located in Warwick, R.I. We had Bill Flynn make some runs with the Mustang to establish a baseline, and he ran in the 11.4- to 11.5-second range. Mario went 11.46 on his first run, then beat Maratta on four straight runs. Someone asked Mario why a famous Indy 500 driver like him would want to drag race, and he said that he knew that Bob Tasca would build a very good race car for him, and that made us very proud.”

Following Lawton’s retirement in 1971, Ford asked Tasca to take over the operations of an unwanted Lincoln-Mercury dealership in seekonk, Mass., and with the assistance of his three sons, he introduced shortened trace cycles, unique option packages, and late-night service to become the largest-volume Lincoln-Mercury dealership in the -country. After setting a record customer-satisfaction score of 9.39 out of a possible 10 in 1994, the Tasca family returned to Providence to reopen the original Ford dealership. In just five years, the operation became the largest-volume Ford operation in southern New England.

WOW Great story

Sleeper_6
11-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Great storys here. I went down there in 1965/66. Front row of cars had 65/66 GT350s. I wonder what ever happened to the customized Mustang that was in the show room at that time. Have pics somewhere around here.

tommyd
11-24-2011, 10:09 PM
My father in law owned the Tasca 505 Mustang for a while back in the 70's. Paul Harvey, the Ford dealer in Indy got it from Tasca and later sold it to my father in law. It was super fast for those days. It ran easy 12.70's just smoking the tires. He would drive it almost daily back and forth to work with 4.30 gears on the hiway. Finally kicked a rod one day and I pulled the engine and could not believe all the cool tricks the car had in the engine.Venolia pistons,stroker crank,teflon buttons,a camshaft with no stampings or marks and some big valves in the heads. Also had dual quads and the standard try y's. I think it ended up being like 330 c.i. It also was customized by the Alexander Bros. I put it back together with a new Boss 302 block and stock 271 hp rotating stuff. He sold it shortly after and it was missing for years. The current owner sent us pics but won't disclose where it is. Google search Tasca 505 and you can find a lot of info. O/T for the HAMB though......sorry.

tommyd
11-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Great storys here. I went down there in 1965/66. Front row of cars had 65/66 GT350s. I wonder what ever happened to the customized Mustang that was in the show room at that time. Have pics somewhere around here.
Check out post 67. I didn't read your post until just now. I have the answer for you on the Tasca/Alexander Bros custom Mustang. ^^^^^^^

japar
02-04-2012, 09:19 PM
505 hp from a stroked 289 to 325 CI with 11.34 compression and the car ran 12's with 3.89 gears in 1965, labeled as the Perfect Performance Car I don't buy it

Sleeper_6
02-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Check out post 67. I didn't read your post until just now. I have the answer for you on the Tasca/Alexander Bros custom Mustang. ^^^^^^^

Wow.. The power of the net !!! Thanks for posting that ! :cool:

leon renaud
02-05-2012, 09:21 PM
my sons and I were at the old Tasca dealership several years back when they had a car show there.Bill Lawton was there with his Maroon TBolt and made several passes in the parking lot, They also had Frank Hawley there and were giving away paid Driving school classes at his school. I forget what class his car was he had there from the school but they put several people in it and had them do launches Bob Tasca the 3rd and I believe it was his sister both made passes.Bob I believe had jusat returned from Franks school after getting his lisence and his sister was going to the school after the show.What was funny as hell was they must of made 6 or 8 full power launches in the School car and everything was fine. Now bill Lawton made a couple passes in his Tbolt well on the first pass in the same exact lane set up for the other car Bill Hammers the TBolt and i bet 30 car alarms went off! None of them did anything for the School car but man Sales people were running wild for 10 or 15 minutes trying to find keys and killing car alarms in the new cars in the lot.We only got to see 2 passes by Bill because he kept setting off alarms!It was a great day !

tommyd
02-05-2012, 09:52 PM
505 hp from a stroked 289 to 325 CI with 11.34 compression and the car ran 12's with 3.89 gears in 1965, labeled as the Perfect Performance Car I don't buy it
japar, Can you tell me what issue and mag has that 505 feature story in it? Would love to find a copy for our family since my father in law once owned that car.

Magnumcharger
11-16-2012, 11:58 AM
This 1967 Thunderbird is for sale on Hemmings.com.
Tasca-Bird II it's called.
Also customized by the A Bros.

George Klass
11-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Not just Super Stockers...

http://georgeklass.net/uploads/3/2/2/1/3221030/3252029_orig.jpg

http://georgeklass.net/index.html (http://georgeklass.net/index.html)

thunderplex
11-22-2013, 01:07 PM
That's a 62 gal.

Posted using the full custom, V8, 4-speed app, rolling down highway 41.

Jimbo17
11-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Great story about a really nice family.

In many ways Tasca put Ford on the drag racing map back in the day.

Watching them run the Thunder Bolt car was really cool back in the mid 60's

It's hard to even mention the word Ford without including Tasca right along with it. That's how important they were in helping Ford become a power house in drag racing.

Jimbo

tommyd
11-22-2013, 06:54 PM
This is my tribute. Trunk lid of my Fairlane. It's fantasy but I had to have it.

japar
11-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Here's a shot of the Mystery 7 at Tasca's 777 Taunton ave location. Tasca purchased property just up the street in Seekonk Ma and opened up a LM dealership. They still operate in Seekonk Ma and Cranston RI today. The property was leased by Ford and a couple different Ford dealers sold cars there but was finally sold. here's what it looks like today, the last shot is where they kept the race cars

CTFuzz
11-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Anyone know where the '62 is now? A friend of mine bought it, back in the seventys, after it was raced under the "Dunn Ford" banner.......................It was a fun street car!

Troublemaker427
11-25-2013, 04:37 PM
The Tasca's did not own this car. It was a local to them racer that they sponsored. This is a good shot of the car.

Not just Super Stockers...

http://georgeklass.net/uploads/3/2/2/1/3221030/3252029_orig.jpg

http://georgeklass.net/index.html (http://georgeklass.net/index.html)

Troublemaker427
11-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Anyone know where the '62 is now? A friend of mine bought it, back in the seventys, after it was raced under the "Dunn Ford" banner.......................It was a fun street car!
Tasca has at least 2 '62's. They has the SS "steel" car and the AFX "glass" car. As far as I know neither have been found. The '62 AFX car was not rebodied as a '63 as many other '62 AFX cars were. From what I've been told the Tasca '63 lightweight Galaxie still survives.

Car Fox
11-25-2013, 06:16 PM

I have been looking for that car, the trail goes cold after some guy "MIKE" I think out of RI sold it. That car was a keeper just like the BOSS 429

pappatyrone
11-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Look under the grille on all of Force's funny cars

Sleeper_6
11-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Anything new on the Tasca 505 ??

tommyd
11-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Nope,still in hiding. The only news is on theponysite.

Sleeper_6
11-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Nope,still in hiding. The only news is on theponysite.

I did find a few pics of it when it was new. oh well I can relate.. I have one hiding there also 6S2378. :p

Wreckingball
11-27-2013, 03:38 AM
I have been looking for that car, the trail goes cold after some guy "MIKE" I think out of RI sold it. That car was a keeper just like the BOSS 429
What color were the 62s'?

CTFuzz
11-27-2013, 09:54 AM

Mike is a friend of mine..........he asked me to check on the car. The guy that bought the car from him was a sailor stationed in New Port RI. He could be anywhere now, but Mike thinks he might have been from the midwest............That's all I have.
The '62 was repainted red!