Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pinstripers - help me out!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Levis Classic, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

My wife and 11 year old son have expressed an interest in learning the art of "laying of the lines." I would love to set them up with a basic kit of some oneshot, brushes and maybe an instructional book or two for Christmas.

Any suggestions? I would love to see them go at it and learn the art.

2. Joe King

Joe King

I know the art store I (not a striper but it work for the painting I do) buy my oneshot from warns me with a big sign that one shot has lead in it. one of the reasons it sticks so good. Don't know how much so don't let your kid eat it.

3. rusty210

rusty210

After looking over my shoulder at the Friday Night Art Show a few times, my wife expressed interest in striping. I ordered a book, brushes, and 1 shot from Eastwood. I gave it to her for her birthday this past weekend. I'm anxious to see results. She is very artistic, and I'm hoping this will help bring our hobbies closer together.

4. Brett:
    Here is a list that should get you started:

Available from Mack Brush Company(www.mackbrush.com):

1)Mack series 20 size 00
    1)Jenson Swirly-Q brush
    1)book:"Pinstriping and Graphics" by John Hannukaine

From Painter's Supply Company(check net for address of one near you)
    1-Shot paint in 1/4 pint cans(may need to order;mostly stock 1/2 pints and quarts)in the following colors:
    Red.White,Black,Light Blue,and Imitation Gold
    From your local hardware store:
    a sheet of .093" plexiglass about 11X17
    1)quart of mineral spirits
    1)quart of brush cleaner(contains toluol,MEK,etc.)

From anywhere else:
    Plenty of Bounty paper towels
    a sheet of plain white paper to draw a grid of 1" squares on.

That should get you started.
    Ray

5. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

lucky wife a kid! the only thing i'd suggest is to get a piece of real glass. plexiglass is a really good insulator and can get a hefty static charge on it when you start rubbing on it and it can cause the bristles to act wierd...just a thought though

6. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

THANKS Ray - Just what I was looking for!

7. Jester

Jester
    from Blevins AR

only thing I want to add to Ray's list is show them alot of examples of work done by people like Ray, PPoC, Caffeine, and the like. Look for examples here on the Friday art show, Ray's pinstriping page (yahoo group), and the Pinhead Lounge. The more exposure to different styles the better for developing one of their own. Good luck.

Jester

8. Hannukaine's book is the best I've seen,
    but even then there are alot of things that don't translate well into print,
    or are a matter of personal preferance.
    All the books I got from Eastwood are Junk.
    And all the videos I've seen are Junk too.

Bounty paper towels are cool,they are perforated to give smaller sheets than all the other brands.
    Just the thing for cleaning small messes.

I prefer Odourless Mineral Spirits for cleaning brushes,bought some from Dick Blick in Detroit,
    a few months ago.It doesn't stink quite as bad as the cheap stuff.

1-Shot High Temperature Reducer is the stuff to use for thinning your paint as your working.

You'll need some type of oil for storing brushes in.Some people use Motor Oil,or ATF.
    I use Neets Foot Oil.

You can buy brushes from mackbrush.com

Any 1-Shot manufactured in the last 9 months has NO Lead in it by Federal Law.
    Old stock still on the store shelves may contain some Lead,depending on the color and age.
    Just don't eat it.

And don't forget to check the Tech-O-Matic for lots more on the basics of Pinstriping.