Register now to get rid of these ads!

=V8=(Flathead PCV) don’t do what I did=V8=

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 296 V8, Nov 29, 2004.

1. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

1 This is about under the intake pcv in a 59a

2 I’m not trying to start a argument, just stating pure facts of what happened.

As the photos show, I pulled the pcv air from the road draft / vent tube in the lifter valley and plumbed it into the bottom of the intake. In an attempt to duplicate the port in a 8ba I drilled a hole in the front of the block behind the cam gear into the vent port and blocked (with brass shim stock) the vent on the pan. This is were the crank case is vented to the valley on a 8ba with a hole behind the cam gear.
    This was a bad idea. Evidently there is a lot of oil that runs down the front of the block (behind the timing gears) from the front cam bearing and it builds up in that vent port. So as you can guess by now. All I did was succeed in sucking up a bunch of oil into the pcv valve and into the intake. Not good unless you want to piss people off – kill bugs or foul spark plugs. I believe the same thing would happen setting up a 8ba the same way.
    It may have helped to drill a oil drain hole at the bottom of the vent port. So it could drain back to the pan. But I didn’t think of that and im not pulling the pan back off to do it.
    No big setback I had to pull the intake off anyway to adjust valve lash. I think I will move the valve to the intake plumbing and pull air from the valley. I think I will also build a sheet metal baffle to go over the pcv valve to avoid sucking up oil mist in the valley.

Just a friendly warning, be careful were you pull the air/ blowby from.

The good news is I got the clutch working and she runs pretty good.

Happy flatheading fellow masochists. [​IMG] Greg [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Sorry to hear about your mosquito fogging incident - seems good in theory, maybe folks can learn a bit from your experience!

[ QUOTE ]
    The good news is I got the clutch working and she runs pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity, what did the problem turn out to be with the clutch?

[​IMG]

3. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

It turned out to be a combination of things.

1 put new bushings in the equalizer shaft
    2 welded up hole in adjusting rod and drilled new one
    3 new clevis
    4 new pins
    5 heated and bent left header. Pedal was hitting it. Got maybe a inch more pedal there.

I’m still not convinced its right.
    With only a inch of free play you have to mash the pedal to the floor to get it in gear and it still grinds a little.

No west Nile virus in my neighborhood [​IMG]

Thanks for asking

4. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Were you able to adjust the finger height on the pressure plate at all?

[​IMG]

5. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Just incase anybody cares.
    Moving the pcv valve up onto the plumbing on the intake did the trick. No more oil burning.

To much oil mist in the vent port in the front of the block.

Ernie
    On the clutch deal, the Borg and beck I put in doesn’t have the adjusters on the fingers. Is this were I screwed it up?
    [​IMG]

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    the Borg and beck I put in doesn’t have the adjusters on the fingers. Is this were I screwed it up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that screwed it up, but you definitely lost adjustability...

[​IMG]