Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much paint do i need?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by InjectorTim, Nov 29, 2004.

1. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

I was wondering about how much pain is needed to do a decent(not necesarilly a million coat show quality base) base coat on an average sized 50's passenger car. I'm not looking for an exact figure, I just want to know about how much to plan for.

2. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

If it helps, I will be painting a 53 buick,even if you are kinda sure. I just want at least a vauge idea.

3. bills model a

bills model a
    BANNED

ohhh boy you are gonna need a lot of pain a good 2 weeks to a month worth of pain most likely more all depending on how rough the car is
    as far as paint i did my 454ss in black single stage took a little less then a gallon before it was reduced

4. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

thats cool, I wasn't planing on doing anything tooo fancy, just something nicer than primer, thanks for you input.

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

HVLP or regular spray gun? Makes a big difference...

6. 10 gallons, not a drop more nor less.

7. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

If it is a complete job, jambs, trunk and under hood, I figure a gallon of paint. Even if you are going to cut some corners, 3 quarts is same price as one gallon. Neal

8. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

regular spray gun

9. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

I think it has a lot to do with the type of paint you are using too in addition to your equiptment. I used an HVLP and cheap paint (PPG OMNI) and I needed a 1 1/2 gallons to get it all covered completely and evenly and then a gallon of clear.

10. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

Thanks alot guys

11. Okay, a pint then. Not a drop more nor less.