Register now to get rid of these ads!

Torque tube/floor clearance??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Andy, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Andy

Andy

I have been strugling to build a new rear end for my 32 coupe. I am going to use a 41 center and 36 bells. No problem with that. I am planing on shortening the 36 torque tube and using that as well. It looks like it will get awfully close to the pan under the seat. Anybody run this torque tube under a deuce?? and does it hit?? Thanks for the help. I sure don't want to install this and then find out it won't work [​IMG]

2. alchemy

alchemy

Why would it be any closer than a 32 would? The diameters aren't THAT much different.

You could use a quickchange centersection, cause that would move the pinion down a couple inches. [​IMG]

3. Andy

Andy

The 36 tube is 3 3/8 OD and the 32 tube is 2 1/2 at the closest point. Almost an inch difference. I have measured the best I can and it looks like it will clear by less than 3/16". Before I cut and straighten and install this,I would sure like to hear that yes it really does clear! Thanks to all.

4. Sweats

Sweats

I am running a full 36 rear in my AV8 with a stock 32 frame but with a model a rear crossmember and there is a lot of room within the frame. Not to mention all the 40 rears in 32's I would not think there would be a clearance prob. Hope this helps

5. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Actually the quickchange would hit the gas tank, but it was a good idea. I don't think you'll have a clearance problem, anyway.

6. Crease

Crease

Andy,

That is a very bad idea. You should give up now and give me the car. [​IMG]

Enjoyed hangin out with you on Sunday. You are now one of 5 people that dad actually talks to. Im figuring he must have smelled axle grease on you.

7. Remember, No matter what the differance in dia. your only loosing 1/2 that in clearance on top.
    The Wizzard

8. Andy

Andy

The problem is that with the stock tube there is only about 1/2 " clearance when the axle is on the stops as near as I can figure.I don't want this banging the floorboard and I only want to do this once. I sure would like to use the 36 tube but I will find something else if I have to. I sure wish someone has tried the big tube under a stock floored 32. Andy

9. alchemy

alchemy

Hey Stud, everybody knows you have to cut the tank too. It was a joke. You know, make him do more work to save work in another place. [​IMG]

Andy, did you also consider that the axle bells have a larger diameter too. So, they will hit the frame rails sooner as well, in essense cancelling out the larger torque tube diameter.

Your spring and crossmember must be FLAT.

- alchemy

10. Andy, I've not done this job myself but know it's been done many times. If you are that close and with the larger axle bells you could drop your bump stops 1/4" to 1/2" to eliminate the contact problem.
    The Wizzard

11. Andy

Andy

Thanks to all for the posts. As I stated in the first post, I am using a 41 center and 36 bells. They are the small dia bells like the 32's. I would not want to extend the bumpers. There is not much travel now and less is not good!I want to have it sit where it is now. I will be using the present spring with new hangers on the 36 bells. [​IMG]

12. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

How much travel/clearence is there? My personal opinion is that you need a lot less than you think.

It would be really interesting if a few people with the typical hot rod cross spring setup put zip ties around their tube shocks and went for a normal drive around town. Calculating the distance the zip tie slid up and the angle of the shock you could get a really good idea of how much travel is actually used and needed.

I think you NEED to bottom out now and then...if you don't then you arent using full travel and there's no need to have your suspention set up with that much (travel).