Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wraparound T-Bird backseat in a '54 Chevy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nads, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Has anybody done this? Yeah sure hundreds of times.
    I need some pics please.
    What's the armrest thingy in the middle? I bought a bottom cushiom to wraparound sides in Daytona. I'm thinking about molding the surrounds in with conduit and doing away with the armrest.
    I think the front bench will look stupid so I'll have to find a pair up buckets to complement the back seat. Then the dash will look stupid, I might have to find a spacey looking late '50s Olds or something. Then the steering wheel will lokk dumb, etc, etc.

2. Keep us informed on whatever path you take with this, ok? I'm very interested in seeing different approaches taken with these cars because my first love has always been 50's cars and {keep this under your hat because I don't want anybody to know yet] I just purchased a pretty rust-free 54 cheapie 2 door sedan...it's a back burner, future project but I'd like to slowly form a build plan. I've thought about the T-bird back seat for mine too but they're kinda wide and hard to find. If you're gonna dump the center part and form sumthun up with conduit, why not just make the whole thing yourself? Form the frame with conduit and use foam to flesh it out? Here's a photo of mine but don't show it around, ok?

3. luckystiff

luckystiff

nads,
    not in a chevy but i've got 'em in my '64 buick. save yourself a little time even if you're gonna fill it down and get rid of the arm rest and get an old rear package tray from a tbird and form from it. you could do it from scratch no problem but it would be easier and faster to get a package tray and use that as your foundation for forming. the white buick that was sold here a while back with tbird guts did just what your talking about and i may go that route to. you can get the package trays on ebay regularly for about 10-25 bucks. your not after one in that good a shape so go with a cheap one. i found a place on the net that has high quality factory covers for those seats reasonable but will have to look for it again. i'm actually using '67 buckets in mine because they are a little thicker and just fit my taste better. there's been a set of those on ebay that need recovering off and on for about $50. if you check the bay for seats and score ship them greyhound. i got my complete interior with perfect covers out of NJ and to ship all of it greyhound was like $100. every where else was closer to 200. i was gonna recover mine with white covers but that would just be dumb when i've got perfect black interior and i'll be driving the car at least close to daily when it's redone...ken....

Attached Files:

4. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

[ QUOTE ]
    I think the front bench will look stupid so I'll have to find a pair up buckets to complement the back seat. Then the dash will look stupid, I might have to find a spacey looking late '50s Olds or something. Then the steering wheel will lokk dumb

[/ QUOTE ]

sheesh, what a paradox

I dont have any pics, but every car ive seen with the thunderbird setup has looked good, so hopefully someone will come up with pics

5. Donzie

Donzie

Nads, there was a '53-'54 Chevy at the James Dean Run last year that had a T-Bird rear seat. The owner said it fit perfectly and all he had to do was install some hangers for the seat backs.
    I have the buckets, rear seat and package tray that I was going to put in my '50 sedan but now I'm thinking I might put them in the '49 Fleetline.
    T-Bird seats

6. Kaucher

Kaucher

I'm installing them in my '54 Ford Vicky. They fit nice. KK

7. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Nads
    I put them in my old 54. I used front buckets and the whole rear seat out of a 63 t-bird.

Then had evrything recovered in white T&R.

Here's the car. I gotta scan pics of the interior. I lost them on my last PC crash.

Anyway. what I did to fill some dead area was mounted a pc. of 1/2in plywood covered with white vinyl against the rear metal bracing, them put the seat in. The center "pillow" was recovered and stitched with a diamond.
    It all blended together real nice.
    Then i had to make filler pcs. for the corners where the seats rounded, but the frame went straight.

So we used high density foam covered in the white vinyl shaped in the wedge that fit down into the missing spot perfect.
    Then the package tray was also covered in the white too.

I got alot of compliments on it.

I'll try to scan pics of the interior tonite if I can.

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

luckystiff, that looks brilliant, that's just what I want to do, mold it all together. It won't be the same not having the excwllent make out seat I had before, but it'll look cooler anyway.

PLeeeeze Grumpy, you gotta scan those pics for me, thanks.

9. repoguy

repoguy

And if you can't find a T-bird, 63-65 Rivs have a similar back seat / package tray.

After all, the 63-65 rivs were basically GM's attempt to compete with the early 60's T-birds in the market that the T-bird created - "luxury sport".

10. 50chevy

50chevy
    BANNED

Hello,

HEre are some pics of them in a 50. (not my car)

I got a set of 66 tbird seats and they seem to fit the same in my 50.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hope that helps

11. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Nads, I'll try to get'em scanned tomorrow.

Mine didn't look anything like that tan interior!!

12. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I was just thinking the same thing about my 54, i wanted to get a wrap around back seat and have the door panels (yep 4 doors insert your jokes here) have a wedge style so they taper from the seat and get thin up where the b pillar is. I wanted the seat to flow back into the package tray.