Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T: Cool copper & steel F1 scale model

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Rails, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

I found this in the Griot's Garage catalog.
    [​IMG]

I'm sure that it can be found much, much cheaper somewhere else.
    Does anyone know where I can get one?

(If I had more time, I'd like to make one...)

Thanks in advance,

--Matt

2. TINGLER

TINGLER

There's a guy on here making things like that.
    PM him.
    His name is 50dodge4X4 ....or something like that. He seems like a good guy....and he makes some neat stuff.

VT

3. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Why thaku you for the knid words Mr. VT

I could probably do something like that, how big is it? I would need better pictures, but that should be a big deal. How much is it selling for, if I may ask... The copper would be a pita, must be brazed or tigged, I mig everything. Did a rail dragster for a guy on here for a Christmas present for someone else. Gene

4. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

That's really cool, Gene!

I think that it was 10 inches long. Unfortunately that's the only picture I have of it. Apparently they're made in Germany.

They're asking $100 for it. Although that seems pretty cheap, I would think that they could be purchased for less. (For comparison, a quart of 3M Adhesive remove goes for $17 from those guys.)

Gene, do you use 0.035" wire in your MIG, or something smaller? What size is that dragster?

Again, that's really cool.

--Matt

5. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Mat,
    That dragster was about 14" long. The "cage" was made from 1/8" welding wire welded with a mig using .035 wire. The body was made from 20G sheet stock. Wheels were short pieces of 1 1/2" pipe with 1/2" washers and #10 washers welded inside that were welded to 1/4" bar stock for axles.The Hemi motor is two 1/2" nuts and one 1/2" lock nut welded together with other odds and ends to finish it off.

That Dragster went to CA, I had about 10 hours in it and it sold for $25 plus shipping. I'm getting rich making these things....NOT. [​IMG]

I own a one man welding shop in a small town pretty hard hit by this econimic slow down. I make these when I'm slow, just so I'm ready if real work comes in. It's nearly always slow between Thanksgiving and just after the New Year. So far I've been using mostly scrap material so I don't have a lot tied up in them, but that useable stuff in the scrap pile supply is getting used up pretty fast. I'm afraid a price increase in in the future.

I could probably get a few pictures of the F1 cars off the net someplace and make you a crude original piece of Desk Top Art Work, crude being the important word here. [​IMG] PM me if your interested. I have pictures of all 18 cars I've made so far. (The pictures are not very good either.)
    Gene

6. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Thanks for the information and the offer, Gene.

I may give the project a try after all. Your material list was inspirational. I need to figure out exactly what kind of scale model I want to make, and then get a little resourceful about what to make it out of.

Could you post some more pictures of your other pieces?

7. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Could I post pictures of my other cars??? Gee... I donno if I should... well, if you really want me to.... your not gunna twist my arm or anything are ya??? Ok, maybe I'll post a few... [​IMG] Gene

8. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

That one was the first. Here's another.

9. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

10. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Last one was the HAMB auction that just ended today. This one was the first HAMB auction.

11. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Did 4 rails, you saw one.

12. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

13. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Last one. Gene

14. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

That's awesome, Gene.
    It gives me a lot to think about.