Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need a 200-4R - What to look for?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anderson, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Anderson

Anderson

I need to get a BOP (or universal) bolt pattern 2004r transmission. I know that some of them are crap and some of them are good...

What cars should I look in at the junkyard to find a good one? Keep in mind F-bodies are out. I guess I just want a good core to rebuild, doubt I'll find a very solid one in a yard.

2. PetT

PetT

My son has an 83 Hurst/Olds in need of one too. Look for 80's BOP's with overdrive. Cutlass', Monte Carlos, etc.

3. Anderson

Anderson

[ QUOTE ]
    Look for 80's BOP's with overdrive. Cutlass', Monte Carlos, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Monte Carlo is a C, not a B, O, or a P. [​IMG]

I know basically what to look for them in....G-bodies for the most part...but one behind a V6 I'm sure is different than one behind a V8. Stuff like that....are there any numbers on these transmissions to look for?

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

If you sure looking for a 200-4R the easiest way to distinguish it from the others is the Dual bellhousing pattern, it has both Chevy and BOP. It is the same for both the V-6 Grand National/T-Type's vs. the fullsize wagons and other V8 cars. I got one out of an '84 Buick Wagon that had an Olds 307 in it. Great tranny, had it in my Henry J for a bit. Should be able to get one pretty cheap. Last time I talked to Shifts he had more than a few cores, maybe buzz him and get him to rebuild one for you, that way you know what you're getting.

5. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

6. Have you checked Pick-n-Pull?

If you know what your looking for they move a bunch of cars.

I have to go out there to get wheels for the Rocket and a 2GC for Ole' Blue.

7. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I have one that I would sell, I used one in my 54 chevy, this guy i work with had two and I bought both of them, It needs to be rebuilt ive never opened it up.

8. Anderson

Anderson

[ QUOTE ]
    Have you checked Pick-n-Pull?

If you know what your looking for they move a bunch of cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the plan...I'm trying to find out what I'm looking for though!

I may have a 2GC...

9. Look for a mid 80's up Electra Park Avenue. At least that's where I got mine.

10. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

Eric, PM shifts. He's D'man and knows all! He'll tell ya what you're looking for.

11. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Here's more 200r4 info that you'll ever need probably..

gnttype.org

12. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

if the posted site links are too hard to look through,

if the tranny has a tag on it ... passenger side , near rear of tranny case....

codes are in the middle of the 10 digit list... left of this code is the build year....ie; 86 is a 1986

KZF
    CZF
    BRF
    OZ
    OG

are good codes to get.

stay away from the diesel trannys
    code: OM

these are the codes I have at hand. there may be more.

13. Not sure what the code is on Sparky's tranny,but he has one out of an 84 monte carlo SS.Runs good no problems,he just put in a 350th with shift kit and stall.P.M. me if you'd like more info.
    Dan

14. gridley

gridley

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Look for 80's BOP's with overdrive. Cutlass', Monte Carlos, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Monte Carlo is a C, not a B, O, or a P. [​IMG]

I know basically what to look for them in....G-bodies for the most part...but one behind a V6 I'm sure is different than one behind a V8. Stuff like that....are there any numbers on these transmissions to look for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just so you know. Most of the cars back then,
    Olds
    Pontiac
    Buick
    And Chevrolet.
    Came with Buick motors. All of the Chevy V6 were Buick.
    So he can find a B.O.P. trans case in a Chevy.

BUT!!!

What in the Hell do you want to put a 200 4R trans in a
    ROD?

Put a 700 R4, There is a company that makes an adaptor for it. I can't remember the company. But if I remember it I will post it.

Please DON'T use a 200 4R! Why do you think they only ran them for only a few years! I think it was less then 6 years!
    1983 to 1987 Then no more 2004R!!

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[ QUOTE ]

Just so you know. Most of the cars back then,
    Olds
    Pontiac
    Buick
    And Chevrolet.
    Came with Buick motors. All of the Chevy V6 were Buick.
    So he can find a B.O.P. trans case in a Chevy.

[/ QUOTE ]

First wrong right there. And the 307 they used in the eaarly 80's was an Olds...

[ QUOTE ]

BUT!!!

What in the Hell do you want to put a 200 4R trans in a
    ROD?

[/ QUOTE ]

Beacause it's a great overdirve tranny that fits where a TH350 was. Has a better 1st gear than a 700r4 and is just as tough, or weak as the case is with the 700's

[ QUOTE ]

Please DON'T use a 200 4R! Why do you think they only ran them for only a few years! I think it was less then 6 years!
    1983 to 1987 Then no more 2004R!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong, they didn't stop them for that reason. Got to just one Grand National meet and watch them run 9's with them.

First off once again ALL 200-R4 have dual bolt pattern i.e. BOP and Chevy. They are great trannys. Tranny adapters pretty much suck. I've had more than a few tranny guys tell me horror stories of the 700's and praise the 200R4 or 200-4R. Shifts and I talked about them for a while at the JimC's cookout.

And please Gridley lose the stupid sig image...

16. Montechris

Montechris

Yup i have an 87 monte SS. 700-r4 is junk it does have a lower 3.06 first gear and a .76 overdrive vs the 200-4rs 2.64 and .64. which makes the 80's camaro guys talk them up. The GN was one of gms quickist production cars, and its rare that the gn/t-type guys take those trans out of the car when they hop them up, and they sure go fast. The only thing i am not sure of is the universal bolt pattern i believe that the bop is called the bop because its for bop, the chevy trans is for chevy only. The more i think about it im almost positive my trans only had one bolt pattern. I think the only car that chevy put the 200 trans in was the monte( carmaro and i think wagons got the 700) the monte came with a 4.3 or a 305 which were both chevy exclusive eninges.
    just my two cents,
    Chris

17. Donzie

Donzie

It has been suggested that I put one in my '49 Chevy. Right now I'm running a Powerglide behind the 250 straight six and it sucks! I was going to use a 350 Turbo but have been turned on to the 200 R4 (4R? is there a difference?).

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It's not a universal bolt pattern it has both.

Attached Files:

19. eberhama

eberhama

Montechris-I too drive an '87 SS. Your tranny has a dual pattern. I run a 700 in mine, and it takes all the abuse I dish out, so I wouldn't call it "junk". Also, mid to late 80's caprices used the 200r4 as well.

From what I have read, SS's and 442's 200's got different internals that were stonger than average 200's, GN/T-types got even stronger ones than the SS's did. So either of these typically sell for more more money than regular ones, if the seller knows what they have. ALso, 86 was the first year the Monte got the 200R4.

20. Anderson

Anderson

Thanks for all this information guys. Definately helps me out.

Right now I've got a th400 in the car because it's what I had when the Jetaway died. I'm leaning toward the 2004r transmission because I really want overdrive in my car. I do a lot of highway driving and it just sucks down the gas. Also, the 350 Olds in my car really doesn't need such a heavy duty transmission anyway.

21. I've got a 200R4 behind my 250. I'm getting about 30mpg hiway and about 24 city. Running a monojet carb too. Tricky getting the TV setup just right. Nobody sells a setup for a 1 barrel. The Hupp is pretty quick out of the hole. I'm usually leaving everyone at a stoplight. When the trans shifts to second the tires nearly bark. Acceleration in third is smooth an even but OD won't engage until I reach about 52 mph. Acceleration in OD is slow as the engine speed is dropped back below the power range (ie 1000rpm).

22. dixiedog

dixiedog

I was looking into using a 200R4 in place of my T350 in the 61 Chev truck but junked it cause the case was worn pretty bad. NOTE: The tranny length is the same but the mounts are different by about 2" another reason I kept the T350 in the X frame truck. Not sure about driveshaft spline swaps?

The advantages a builder told me is the 200 has brass instead of nylon bushings and the gearing is better (discussed earlier). The disadvantages that I found was 1) limited converter choices 2) The rebuild parts cost was more than the 700.

They lived well in the turbo cars, but I wonder how they hold up to norm aspirated torque motors?

Just my .02 -

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[ QUOTE ]

They lived well in the turbo cars, but I wonder how they hold up to norm aspirated torque motors?

[/ QUOTE ]

Had one in both a wagon I used as a tow vehicle and my Henry J. The wagon had an Olds 307 in it and I towed a enclosed M/C trailer with 4 ace bikes and tools. Worked great until the engine took a dump. I yanked the tranny and a few other choice parts and junked the car. I then installed it into my Henry J in place of a TH350. Just a little work on the mount and everything else worked great. It had a pretty decent small block in it. worked great and I drove that thing pretty hard. The critical thing is the kickdown and lockup, if you don't have these adjusted correctly it'll burn up the tranny. I sold the Henry J and teh tranny went with it. I heard that the gentleman I sold it to put the tranny in something else since they put a 392 Hemi in the Henry J. Probably still going. I did put a shift kit in it when I put it in my Henry J and a manual lockup for the torque converter. But other than that nothing...

24. Donzie

Donzie

[ QUOTE ]
    It's not a universal bolt pattern it has both.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Zman, that gold one is pretty.
    My shipping address is
    88 Carroll Dr
    Midland, Mi 48640
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

When I talked to Shifts at Jim C's he said he had a pallet full of cores. And since I stole the pic I couldn't send it if I wanted to...

26. gridley

gridley

zman
    Yon know: opinion’s are like a** holes. Everyone has one. I was in a dealership for more then 12 years and an independent shop for over 11 years. And I’m still building transmissions. I’ve been rebuilding transmissions for over twenty years. I’ve seen a lot of crap.
    And what I posted was my opinion. And that is all. You can take it or leave it. It is your choice.
    And as for my sig. Again every one has one.

27. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

some of you folks quoting 200-4r & 7004r numbers, gear ratios, over drive ratios, etc... need to get them correct first. Only numbers, I guess it dont matter.... [​IMG]

second little item....to my knowledge the t-350 was built in 5 different lengths..... 6 , 9 , 12 inch tail housings. the 200-4r matches the 6 inch tail t-350 tranny length.

there were 2 different 4x4 out put shaft legths on the t-350 tranny. Most folks have only seen one 4x4 output shaft.

the 200-4r that are running 10's and in the 9' second range on the drag strip are waaaay modified for this purpose and are high maintenance.

I've been doing the tranny / car thing for over 3 decades and I learn something new every day

28. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[ QUOTE ]

the 200-4r that are running 10's and in the 9' second range on the drag strip are waaaay modified for this purpose and are high maintenance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that, but I can't even remember ever seeing someone go 9's or 10's with a 700R4.

29. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

[ QUOTE ]

I understand that, but I can't even remember ever seeing someone go 9's or 10's with a 700R4.

[/ QUOTE ]

===== you must not be looking hard. Several folks with F body GM products are running those times with 4L60 & 4L60E's

think: ........ " cryogenic treated parts"

[​IMG]

30. Anderson

Anderson

I seriously doubt my car will ever reach 13s....I'm not worried about breaking it.

Thanks again for the info! After christmas I'll hit the junkyard....maybe I'll be brave and attempt a rebuild myself. I know that will be fun.

BTW....I can right click on Gridley's signature picture and select "block images from...such and such web host." I'm using Mozilla Firefox.