Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldspeed, Nov 29, 2004.

1. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

Well after looking for some time now I finally find a flathead ford motor right under my nose. The story is it was running 10 years ago when the truck was stored. It is a 38 1 ton with a 49 ford V8. The guy wants $100 for the motor and tranny. OK I was all excited but a friend of mine said make sure it's not a lincoln motor cause that's what was in 1 ton trucks. What do I look for and how do I tell the differance. Thanks, Jon.

2. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The quickest way would be to check out if the dizzy is mounted in the back like a GM smallblock would be.
    Only the truck and Lincoln engines are like this.
    Here's your link. PJ
    macs site

4. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

Thanks guys with your help I'm sure I can tell the differance between the two.

5. mtflat

mtflat

The big flathead was only used in the 2 1/2 and 3 ton trucks (F7/8) All the smaller ones used the std 239 flatty.

6. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

Armed with all this information I found out the guy selling it has no idea what he has. It is a 1937 or 38 and I bought it. Thanks again for all the help and now for the start of flathead fever, all I need now is a new car project to put it in. Jon.

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

37 has 21 head bolts and 38's have 24 studs.
    I don't know of its intended use but I hope for your sake its a 38 block. Alot more speed parts available for them and you pay through the nose for anything that fits a 21 studder. No one makes aftermarket heads for 21 studs. At least affordable heads.

8. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

Well I guess I've made the mistake, after further review like the football fans, I have found this is a 36 0r 37 21 stud waterpump in the head. So is this worthless or only good to a restorer.

9. rodrelic

rodrelic

I use em, wish I had more. Nothing wrong with 85 hp in a light hot rod, or more accurately warm stick. Will buy or trade for it if you don't want it.

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Somewhere during that time (37?) they went to insert bearings - if it's an early one (and original), it may have babbit bearings...

[​IMG]

11. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

[ QUOTE ]
    Well I guess I've made the mistake, after further review like the football fans, I have found this is a 36 0r 37 21 stud waterpump in the head. So is this worthless or only good to a restorer.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 36 has the water pumps mounted in the heads, while the 37 has them mounted in the blocks.

If yours is a 36, I might be interested in it. Where in upstate NY are you?

--Matt

12. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

South of Utica, north of Binghamton right in the middle and it appears to be a thirty six but what do I know, will know more this coming weekend. But it is complete from carb to oilpan.