Register now to get rid of these ads!

where do you get-- bungs/inserts-tie rod end/wishbone??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stu, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

using ford tie rod ends on the ends of my wishbones and I need to attached them to the side of my boxed frame--is there a bung/insert available--am I missing it in the speedway catalog??

2. Crease

Crease

It's in the Speedway catalog. The thread is somewhat of a bastard, not the same as UNF. If you go to the local real tool supply, they may be able to order the tap. I highly suggest just purchasing the bung from Speedway.

3. Chuck Fish

Chuck Fish

You can get the taps from Speedy Bill @ Speedway too I think.
    Chuck Fish

4. yes , the old ford tie rods ends are an odd size ...11/16"-18 thread...the tap is speedweay # 912-81037-RH it cost's $19.95

but the way i read you request, you are looking for a way to attach the tapered stud part of the tie rod end to your frame rails...if that is the case, you could use a bracket like speedway's # 916-35015 .($24.95). it has the tapered part to accept the tie rod end , or you could make something yourself using the tapered reamer # 910-89411 ($79.95)..the taper is 1-1/2" per foot

5. Rusty

Rusty

Speedway has everthing you need and are the most resaonable price wise. You can also talk to there tech line and they can help you out with whatever you need.

6. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looks like speedway has it#916-36503-Thanks guys

7. Mo Junk

Mo Junk

Stu, I used Speedways tappered shock bushings. They are approximately 1" o.d. but are tapered inside and accept the taper of the Ford tierod ends. My chassis is made from 2"x3" box tubing. I drilled a hole through both sides. I welded the tapered bushing recessed in the outside. I access the tyrod nut coming through from the inside of the rail. You can also weld these bushings to a mount if you need the tyrods to mount below the frame. I have used these on a couple of cars and they work fine. They are called "tapered bushings for Ford shock mounts" in the Speedway catalog.I can send you a part # tomorrow if you need it. Sam