Register now to get rid of these ads!

WHICH COMPRESSOR IS BETTER?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by droplord49, Nov 28, 2004.

1. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I am in need of a air compressor to start up my little back yard paint and body shop. I was wondering if any of the paint and body folks we have on here could give my any suggestions on what to get. The two I have been looking at are 7 peek hp, 60 gal tanks, with cast iron twin cylinder pumps. One is a Husky(I work at the Home Depot) which puts out 11.3cfm@40psi and 10.5@90psi and the other is a Craftsman that puts out 9.6@40psi and 9.0@90psi. I have always been a craftsman fan because of the waranty but the Husky puts out more air and is more than $100 cheaper.

2. Look at parts availability. That and the guys that sell compressors around here say stay away from aluminum pumps, cast iron only. That all I know. That said, my dads underpweredd Craftsman has sprayed dozens of cars in its 15 years.

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Don't fall into the trap of thinking Sears backs everything for life 'cause they don't. The lifetime warrentee is for hand tools not gas and electric powered items. Be sure to check with them and see just how long they stand behind any item other than hand tools.

Frank

4. Crease

Crease

The Husky stuff looks like it's well made. I personally hate The Home Depot, but it does look like a nice machine. Have you considered a used one? My dad picked a used one up about 15 years ago and it's still goin strong. Almost the size of a Mazda, but goin strong.

5. GaryC

GaryC

I'd go with the husky personally. That is based on most HVLP guns requiring 11cfm+ @ 40psi (sata guns require 15cfm, however some of my devilbiss only require 11cfm, and less for detail guns). I have however shot my sata guns on compressors that only kick out about 10cfm with decent results). Where I'm at we have to use HVLPs in shops, and as such that is all I have in my garage as well. They take more cfm and less pressure than conventional spray guns, which all falls on a larger volume of air through the gun with lower pressure at the air cap, resulting in less overspray.

6. Fab32 is on the ball-Sears has had its problems.
    It now is united with KMART...FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE TILL DEATH DO THEY PART. [​IMG]
    I have a 1978 Sears 80 gal 5 HP that is still running....that Im sure is a far cry from their latest offering.
    Id shop some more as neither unit you mentioned puts out nearly enough for a 7 HP compressor.
    They should be putting out around 23-25 CFm at 100 psi and 17-19 at 175PSI.
    also look at compressor RPM amd Motor RPM the pump should be at about 7-800RPM for minimul moisture production and life. the Motors if the higher RPM is a cheaper light duty part
    Not dissin your choices at all -I am just saying they must be as MOST are nowadays -a lesser peice of equiptment.
    Keep shopping..... it will only get you more pump[and life expectancy] for the same or less money

7. I had bad luck with the Sears unit. It was an oil less job and it kept breaking the little potmetal pistons. After it fell apart for the four or fifth time I bought a Campbell Hausfield from Lowes and have real good luck with it.

8. I don't think either one will give you enough air. I have a Eagle (made in Canada) 3 cyl 60 gal. It puts out 18 cfm at 100psi. It's barely enough. As far as sears goes, other than their craftsman hand tools, it's all import crap. You might as well shop at harbor frieght. Same quality, a third of the price.

9. BELLM

BELLM

Check out Tractor Supply, good selection, good prices.

10. 30roadster

30roadster

dustin - call me - i know a friend selling a nice used one...should take a look before buying.. i'll be at work till 5.... or home after 6

11. Slide

Slide

I looked at the Home Depot one, too, when I was shopping for a compressor about 6 months ago. I ended up getting a different one with identical specs from that "other" SuperMegaHomeImprovementWarehouseStore™. To look at the one I got and the Husky, if you took the labels off and painted them the same color, you couldn't tell the difference. I like it a lot, but I wouldn't put it in a commercial shop. It's a good "serious hobbyist" compressor.

OK, that said, if you plan to make any money at paint and body, save up yer pennies for one that will push more than that. Tractor Supply was mentioned, but check our Grainger.com, too for some Ingersolls that will push around 14-15 CFM @ 175 psi. (They typically only use a 5 hp motor to do this, BTW.) Those body sanders and grinders are rabid hungry CFM carnivores. You'll break a grand easy with one of the Ingersolls, but they will last as long as you will. Grainger also has another brand that might be their house brand. My dad had one and used it until he had a few employees. I can't remember the brand name, but they are painted green!

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I got the biggest Craftsman they have about 4 years ago and have had zero problesm so far. Knock on wood. It's the same model I had in my M/C shop as well. Just one word of advice, if you buy a compressor based on just getting by spec wise it will never be enough. Get the biggest baddest compressor you can.... You will never have enough air....

Everyone can bag on Sears all they want, but I'll buy there
    long before Harbor Freight or Wal Mart any day of the week.
    Their compressors seem to be better quality to me than Harbor Freight to me. I have kicked the Harbor Freight habit...

13. 392_hemi

392_hemi

I bought a 80 gal. 7HP two-stage 175 psi compressor made by Proter Cable. Got it at Farm and Fleet for about $900. I looked at Husky, Campbell-Hausfield and Craftsman, and was not impressed. The Porter Cable compressors are well made and a good deal for the money.

14. luckystiff

luckystiff

agreed with the porter cable for the money. there was one in my shop when i rented it. 5hp 60gal. it has kept up with me no problems. it belongs to the guy who restores furniture above me. he's offered it to me a coupla times for $300. it was 3 months old when i moved in there a year or so ago. i'll probably take it with me on his offer when i move soon...ken....

15. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

Grainger sells Speedaire and they are painted green.