Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod gets a new roof!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Levis Classic, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Spent the last two days cutting up a 63 Ford Falcon Wagon roof and welding it in the 29 Tudor.

Its really amazing how well this roof fits! I even used the roof supports from the Falcon in the Tudor.

Still have about 8 feet of welding to do, and finish tying in the front visor. Its off to the media blasters this week so I can prime her and get serious about finish body work. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

from the front:

Attached Files:

3. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

the rear shot:

Attached Files:

4. Are you going to recover it with factory looking vinyl? Or have another idea for the tack channel over the top?

Looks like the front is going to take some fitwork, will look cool when it is buttoned up!

5. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Tman

I wont be covering it with Vinyl - need to fill those tack strip areas - got any ideas?

6. In a perfect world, with perfect skills you would cut the channel out and hammer-weld a new strip in there.

A guy I know annealled some 3/4" strap and tacked it in the channell. Looked good but I fear small cracks after time where you filled it. Lead? I dunno?

The other option would be to use Lord Fusor (brand name) and glue a strip in there. We did it that way with a 'glass Sedan delivery conversion (steel car 'glaas rear panel)

7. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

make a drip rail, U channel welded in,

Most that have seen welded up also show cracking..body flexing probably does not help...

8. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

Looks great Brett!! I see u guys still have snow!

Kris

9. whizzerick

whizzerick

Levis, nice work! Have you ever played with the headlights position? I wonder if the car wouldnt reach a higher degree of 'Badassness' with a lil' lower stare?
    [​IMG]

10. Levis', the car is really taking shape! Looks great, gonna be a HAMB favorite!

Joel [​IMG]

11. Brett the c-dan looks great! BTW----don't listen to Tman you know you can't trust that guy. Look what he did to the pig. [​IMG]

12. I love the low head light look, but aren't they a pig on the road for actual illumination at night?

13. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

lookin good holmes. when we gonna get to that super cool gauge cluster???

14. Rusty

Rusty

Very nice. Kindoff queer on Falcons though but atleast you got some good use of the wagon. Please tell me the whole bottom of the car was rotted a way. Nice work and thanks for sharing.

15. [ QUOTE ]
    Levis, nice work! Have you ever played with the headlights position? I wonder if the car wouldnt reach a higher degree of 'Badassness' with a lil' lower stare?

[/ QUOTE ]

The lower position looks "meaner", but what the hell is up with the Farmall grill?

16. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

it's actually the tops off two CASE tractor shells.

...oh, and that Falcon wagon was actually in pretty good shape!! [​IMG]..... [​IMG]

17. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

is that a case grille shell? To me it looks like a case, but something isnt right..........?

18. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

oh haha looks like I should finish reading the post before posting

19. beatnik

beatnik

Looks great Brett, I really like the way the whole project is coming together.

20. Levis - A looks great. I like the grille and cowl steering.

keep on truckin

21. Brett,

Ususally when I fill the roof on an A I cut the new piece to go to the outer edge of the front and back tack strips and also like to integrate the visor at that time. Couldn't tell from the pics but maybe you already did that. Looks like a good job. Keep it up. Like the grille/shell.

I have made up pieces of sheet metal that match the stamped ridge where it turns up behind the side window and extended that all the way to the front above the door in place of a drip rail. It's a lot of work but it may be "smooth" in the traditional scheme of things. I've seen cars that were just filled there and I always though it was a little barren looking. Just a couple thoughts.

Charlie

22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I like it alot! If I lived closer I'd help you weld up that 8 feet that needs doing [​IMG]