Register now to get rid of these ads!

getting a car out of Canada to the USA?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, Nov 28, 2004.

1. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I'm lookin at buyin a car in Victoria British Columbia Canada (about 3.5 hours from Seattle). I have shippers that can bring me a car from Seattle but none that will go into Canada. Anyone got any ideas? I'm in Indianapolis.

2. skipperman

skipperman

I've done a couple from canada.... If the BUYER HIMSELF crosses the border with the car it is NO problem at all!! ( took about 10 minutes !).....if you use a professional shipper it becomes a major hassle ...... I suggest you go yourself .....Most shippers won't go thru the hassle of getting it across the border ..... some will tho' ...'ya gotta' make some calls if you can't do it ...

jersey Skip

3. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

also ask Evilfordcoupe his came from the great white north.

4. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I sold my '48 pickup to a fellow in Seattle last year. He flew up and drove the truck home. I gave him all the info on the truck so he could get insurance and a temp plate for it before he came up. Worked like a dream.
    One thing to consider when crossing the border...make sure you claim the engine as an early one. Late model engines get slapped with smog requirements. My truck had a 1996 Chevy 305 block with earlier heads. The new owner told the customs agent that it was a 60's era 327 and they let him right through. [​IMG]

5. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

It's an inoperable 57 Chrysler so emissions shouldn't be an issue. I'm just hearing conflicting things about who gets the burden of "brokering" it or producing documents. The car has no title and I just want to get it across the border. After that I can get it here no problem.

6. Leaving Canada is not a problem.

Entering the US without a Title could be a problem.

US Customs has a web site,
    and there are pages there on importing cars,what is required etc.

It's old enough that emmissions isn't a problem,but there are still hoops to jump through.

7. I have sold lots of cars to the u.s..I ship all my cars with a carrier called MOVING CANADA. you can call the toll free. 1-888-359-9833. ask for larry.
    They will look after all paper work that you need for a smooth border crossing.they pick up the car and deliver it to your yard. I've had no problems with them on many sales.