Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Help I.D.ing Some Headlights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TagMan, Nov 28, 2004.

1. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found a pair of headlights (picture below) that I can't identify. They're both missing the rim and have surface rust, but are otherwise solid & complete. They appear to be factory sealed beam (not conversions), which should place them around 1940-1942, I believe. The only possible identifier I can find is a wire connection plate in the recess(pic #3), by the mounting bolt. The connection plate has three screws ("Parking", "High Beam", & "Low Beam")and there is an aparrent part number on the plate, "915340". I looked through my Chevy Parts Manual, but it doesn't look like a Chevy part number.
    Anybody able to I.D. 'em ???
    Thanks,
    -Bob

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. plmczy

plmczy

Don't know what they would be but they look cool. I like the little chrome strip going down the back. They look like they would be chevy, long torpedo looking. Maybe commercial truck? Clark would probably know what they are. later plmczy

3. nero

nero

look like the ones on my 39 buick [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Zodoff

Zodoff

What he said. looks like buick lights.

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I looked at a buddy's '39 Buick Century and his are different - close, but no cigar. They really scream "GM" to me, but I just can't seem to nail down what they are.......

6. seldom scene

seldom scene

A club member is running a set of those on his chopped and channeled A pick up, also missing rings. I think they are from a 39 Pontiac.

7. cross spring

cross spring

eh up tag
    could be talkin out mi arse mate of mine runs a late 30s dodge n they do look the same {side mounted}

8. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Might be side mounted, but the trim is opposite the mounting stud, which would put the trim on the side - pretty unusual. The buckets have that "GM look", so the '39 Poncho might be the one. Anybody got pics of one ????

9. kustomolds

kustomolds

I would venture to say that they are off an '81 Yugo.... [​IMG]

10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[ QUOTE ]
    I would venture to say that they are off an '81 Yugo....

[/ QUOTE ]

There ya go !!!! Thanks, Bravo

11. Thinking mid 30's (36?) Packard. Had stainless strip on the sidemount spare tire covers too.

12. InPrimer

InPrimer

Bob, here's a pix of a 39 poncho, seems right on....

13. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[ QUOTE ]
    Bob, here's a pix of a 39 poncho, seems right on....

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the pic, Serge. The trim on the Ponch's bucket appears to be quite a bit bigger than on the ones I have, but then it's kinda hard to tell from a pic.

That Packard suggestion is interesting and I'll try & check it out.

14. LIMEY

LIMEY

I have a pair very simular but the rims & guts are missing, no trim on the top but the mount looks the same! One had a beat up rim that is very thin & the total length is about 16".
    From my searching i pretty much nailed mine down to 39 Packard but only the V12 model as the other 39's are a little different.
    I'll get some pics if you want!

15. 36 37 poncho ??? the chevy,s i got loo the same without the rib

16. Bob, I'll try again. I'm sticking with Packard, but this time, going to 1940. (sealed beam'n all). Don't have any close ups, but if you do a google image search, you'll see some. The trim is lower than the Pontiac, looks more like yours. Don't forget Caddies and Buicks around the same era had similar shells, but attached at the sides I think.

17. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your ideas. I pretty much discounted the earlier (mid- to late-30's) cars, since this one looks factory equipped with sealed beams, which weren't used until 1940, I believe.

I'm gonna do some Packard research and see if that's what they are. Any photos would be of great help.

Thanks again,
    -Bob

18. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

We have a 37 Packard convert in the shop and the lights look the same to me.

19. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

I would guess a Packard 120.

20. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found a couple of pics of '37-'40 Packards and their buckets look to be pretty close to the ones I have. I'll have to try and find one, so I can check it out up close & persoanl, as they say.
    I'll probably never find the #!*& rims for them. [​IMG]

Oh, well, thanks for everybody's help !!