Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opinions on fuel additives

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kev Nemo, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Any faves or not? Someone told me that certain additives will make parts of your carb expand and screw up- is this true? [​IMG]

2. Unscientificly, I've been impressed by the the addition of toluene to my fuel tank in varying amounts.

I supposed acetone would be interesting as well but it's solvent properties might be bad for rubber hoses and gaskets.

3. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

Becareful with that toluene!!
    I've known it to flash back through the carb on a bike, and some how the flash went through the line into the fuel tank.
    The owner was blown pretty damned high in the air, 6 to 8 feet it looked like,but miraculously was unharmed apart from the bumps from landing.
    Alcohol is good for burning out carbon, but hard on valves, piston crowns, and dries out gaskets and rubbers, so does acetone.
    Tennessee white lightnin' used to do it for my old charger, but fumes gave you a headache and made the ignition "pink" bit if you floored it and revs were too low.

4. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

I use just a little Marvel Mystery Oil.

5. I haven't added much more than a pint to about 10 gallons. Unscientific yes. Seems to run "better" with it. I'm not sure the exact benefit ala octane boost.

Acetone is also higher in volatility. Not as much as ether but probably unsuitable anyway.

6. radical56chevy

radical56chevy

what kinda addive are you wondering about? like a octane boost or a fuel system cleaner?the best cleaner i've seen is called 44K its a BG product..helps clean that unwanted carbon off valves and pistons..

7. Actually, toluene has long been used as an octane booster. It probably presents an emissions problem. It's pretty cheap. I'm just going from memory here. Should we get an intelligent conference going here? It's ironic that for a bunch of car people here there doesnt seem to be much fuel discussion.

What information do you seek regarding additives? Fuel system maintenance? Power boost? Octane/anti-knock? Passing your smog test?

8. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

BG 44K, works great and won't hurt your carbs, if your using it put it in with a full tank of gas then run it down to half and top off the tank, works better with more fuel for some odd reason