Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tracking problem?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JamesG, Nov 27, 2004.

1. JamesG

JamesG

We got the Bellflower Buick bagged finally. BUT, heres the problem.....

The way my steering is set up, it only tracks straight at a certain ride height. If it too high it pulls to the left and
    if it's too low, it pulls to the right. WTF, over?

Any suggestions? [​IMG]

2. lownslow

lownslow

does the suspnsion need rebuilt ?....did you re- align it after at you ride height ?....

3. DrJ

DrJ

Sounds normal to me since the suspension is only aligned at the ONE ride height it was aligned at and OUT OF ALIGN at any other height.
    although, I suppose compromises could be made..
    compromise = accidental success

4. lownslow

lownslow

DrJ,
    that is not normal to pull like that....mine doesn't pull at all when it is up or down.....but my suspension is all rebuilt and i had it aligned at my drive height.....

kinda sounds like something is binding up .....sorry i can't be of more help. i have never heard of that problem....i ''THINK'' airride has a tech line you can call..maybe they have seen that problem...

5. I have seen this problem when the center link is not centered in its travel and the tie rod ends are adjusted to compensate. Just cured a 60 Impala of the very same ailment.

6. DrJ

DrJ

Is it four seperate valves or one front one rear?
    connecting them just doesn't help on the body roll situation, also, it might be toed in when up and toed out when down, depending on how the susp. is made.
    Are the idler arms Etc. in good shape?
    (plus what ElP just said.)
    Sit it on level ground, better yet, on a street with a typical crown and see what the side to side ground clearance differences are when up and/or down.

L&S, I was just sorta joking when I said it was "normal"... [​IMG]
    Nothin's normal about or on adjustable height suspension (cept on Citroens and some newer Lincolns)

7. lownslow

lownslow

L&S, I was just sorta joking when I said it was "normal"... [​IMG]
    Nothin's normal about or on adjustable height suspension (cept on Citroens and some newer Lincolns)

[/ QUOTE ]

DrJ,
    gotcha.....i have never been accused of being normal...so why should my car's suspension? [​IMG] [​IMG].....

Elp,
    what did you do to fix the problem....

and 1low what are you gonna do about the back of the car where is says ''bags are for groceries'' ?......and post pix please...with it all aired out ....

8. [ QUOTE ]
    Elp,
    what did you do to fix the problem....

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok here is the procedure I went through. I just measured the length of the tie rods from where they mount to the center link to the steering arms. They should be the same, and on the last car I worked on the right side was an inch longer than the left!

I disconnected both tie rods from the spindles, then turned the steering wheel all the way to the right. Placed a piece of tape on the top of the steering wheel. Then turned the wheel to the left counting the revolutions, I had 5 3/4 turns lock to lock. So with that I divided the turn count in half and turned the wheel back to the right 2 7/8 turns and replaced the tape at the top of the wheel. It was clear the steering wheel was a half turn out from where it was supposed to be.

With the center link centered you should be able to measure from the inner tie rod mounting holes to the control arm bolts to make sure the center link is centered. Some manufacturers will purposely make steering gears asymetrical for some unknown reason, maybe for greater turning angle making right hand turns or just poor engineering. Once you are positive everything is square split the distance between your two tie rods and then re-install. You will need to reset your toe angle and remove the steering wheel and re-instal it right side up.