Register now to get rid of these ads!

New England Car Show Pics-Early

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by safariknut, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Found some more pics and thought I'd post a few.Some of these were taken at the Commonwealth Armory in Boston;some in Hartford Connecticut,and others unknown.
    First up is a 33-34 Ford coupe with a Y-block with 6 deuces.The picture following is of the same car but with a blower added.The first pic was taken at a show and the second looks like it was in the owner's garage.I thought this was Richie Silva's dad's car but he says no.Any guesses?

2. The color pic.Looks like the paint AND the interior have been changed.

3. This next pic is of an Altered roadster;looks like the Scotty's Muffler car but I'm not sure.The car in the background is Norm Wallace's 32 that is currently owned by Larry Hook.This was taken at Joe Kizis' Autorama in Hartford and may have been as early as 1958 when Norm took Best in Show with it.

4. Next few pics will be show cars.I had one that I thought I had scanned but can't locate it now.It was a bubble topped 55 Chevy with RED tires and a scale 55 next to it.I'll look for it after this post and add it later.First up is the Barris Beach Buggy.I think all the show car pix were at the Commonwealth Armory.

5. Show cars at their most absurd;the Bath Tub Buggy.Gold plating everywhere!

6. an unknown dragster;looks to be Pontiac powered.Eddie Hill maybe?

7. You can never have too many pics of this car.

8. I think Gene Winfield built this one.

9. Superfluous ostentation at it's best.Hot Wheels here we come!

10. A Joe Wilhelm car;the Wild Dream I think.God I hate it when my memory craps out!

11. Last one for now.A nice Deuce cabriolet owned by Richie Tallant(sp?)with a gold plated Cadillac engine.And this was early 60's.

12. Gotcha covered on this one Ray. This is from the Kizis' 14 Annula National Autorama at the Connecicut State Armory, Hartford, in 1964. Like the 6 x 2 manifold on the blower. I'll be offering those in a few weeks.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  13. [ QUOTE ]
    Gotcha covered on this one Ray. This is from the Kizis' 14 Annula National Autorama at the Connecicut State Armory, Hartford, in 1964.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks Dennis;that sounds about right as the dates on the pic were October 1963.

14. [ QUOTE ]
    an unknown dragster;looks to be Pontiac powered.Eddie Hill maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

From the 1963 Hartford program

Attached Files:

15. From the 1964 Hartford program:

Attached Files:

16. [ QUOTE ]
    This next pic is of an Altered roadster;looks like the Scotty's Muffler car but I'm not sure.The car in the background is Norm Wallace's 32 that is currently owned by Larry Hook.This was taken at Joe Kizis' Autorama in Hartford and may have been as early as 1958 when Norm took Best in Show with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the '64 program:

Attached Files:

17. [ QUOTE ]
    Next few pics will be show cars.I had one that I thought I had scanned but can't locate it now.It was a bubble topped 55 Chevy with RED tires and a scale 55 next to it.I'll look for it after this post and add it later..

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be the Princess and the Pirate 1963 (PRE bubble top)

Attached Files:

18. Safariknut, Thanks for sharing the pics. I love those old show pictures. Post more!

19. [ QUOTE ]
    Last one for now.A nice Deuce cabriolet owned by Richie Tallant(sp?)with a gold plated Cadillac engine.And this was early 60's.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, Richie's still around (usually riding shotgun in Mark Rogers' 35 tub).

20. I found the pic Dennis but it's in really bad shape.Also the one after it is labeled as a 32 but it looks like an A to me.

21. the green roadster

22. I think you've got me on the roadster. But just to get you going - look at this ad from the 1964 program!!! I have a monster sweatshirt that I've never known the painter of from back at one of those shows - could it be a Stanley Mouse Original?

That's it for now - if I don't get out to the garage some rodders aren't going to get their plaques for Xmas:)

Attached Files:

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    an unknown dragster;looks to be Pontiac powered.Eddie Hill maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

From the 1963 Hartford program

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I had the chassis from this Lyndwood years ago. Fellow built a new and wider chassis patterned after it. I sold it along with a Bantam coupe body to someone in New Jersey if I remember correctly.

24. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

The red and white ostentatious thing is still around - was in the background of a recent Rod & Custom cover - the annual Paint issue, I think.
    Dave

25. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Not Joe Wilhelm's Wild Dream - That was model T-based (really all hand built) show car, usually in silver or purple.

This is Bill Cushenberry's work I believe - it was the Car Craft Dream Car. It was later re-modeled by someone else as the "Mako-Shark" or something.

Dave

26. Sailor

Sailor

The "Dreamrod" made by Bill Cushenberry for Rod & Custom is correct. I think it was called "Python" later on.

Attached Files:

27. Thanks for the correction Dave;I don't know what I was thinking about when I said that;maybe too many paint fumes [​IMG]I think it may have been called the Car Craft Dream Rod at one time.It sux gettin' old [​IMG]
    Ray

28. [ QUOTE ]
    The red and white ostentatious thing is still around - was in the background of a recent Rod & Custom cover - the annual Paint issue, I think.
    Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a AMBR winner and it's now owned by Ron Martinez. Was in the Petterson earlier this year. Very interesting guy - VP of movie studio responsible for Knight Rider. the teenage witch ting and a lot of others, now mostly selling videos at car shows and hanging around with Jay Orberg (Mr.Roadster, Mr. Pinnocio, Mr. Clothes, Mr. Cars of the Stars, etc.) Both real down to earth guys willing to take some chances.

29. [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Next few pics will be show cars.I had one that I thought I had scanned but can't locate it now.It was a bubble topped 55 Chevy with RED tires and a scale 55 next to it.I'll look for it after this post and add it later..

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be the Princess and the Pirate 1963 (PRE bubble top)

[/ QUOTE ]

And this would be '64 with quite a redo on that 55 Chevy!!

Attached Files:

30. Gee Dennis I don't know whether to thank you or curse you for posting that pic!It is definitely an incredible amount of rework on that car.Personally I think he should have left well enough alone but in 64 I would probably have gone nuts over it!BTW that twin engine car I thought was an incredible piece of work.I saw that in Detroit in 67 or 68 and it was wild!I think it actually ran too;I think the flywheels were geared together with an idler so both engines could rotate in the same direction,but I think it had two separate transmissions and rear ends also.